Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Purcell with a 1.46.41pb in nice, he was struggling at the last 10p. the brit that won in 1.43 came from way back in the last 300m.

Georgie hits the bar again with 2.00.88

Hiku and tobin are down for the 5k later

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

jamule wrote: »
    Purcell with a 1.46.41pb in nice, he was struggling at the last 10p. the brit that won in 1.43 came from way back in the last 300m.

Georgie hits the bar again with 2.00.88

Hiku and tobin are down for the 5k later

On live anywhere?

Thanks

TbL

Kate o connor was 1836 after 2 events, after thrown a pb 14.54 in the shot, should be worth around 850ish

tobin a disspointing 13.49 started to go
    backwards with 2k to go. Hiku never got going the 10k last week must be still in the legs.

• Advertisement

jamule wrote: »
    Kate o connor was 1836 after 2 events, after thrown a pb 14.54 in the shot, should be worth around 850ish

a terrible 200, leaves her on 3425, about 200 down on where she should be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

How many weeks on the trot is that for Tobin between racing and pacing? It’s his job granted but surely a bit to much lately.

OOnegative wrote: »
    How many weeks on the trot is that for Tobin between racing and pacing? It’s his job granted but surely a bit to much lately.
    looks like it, went through 3k at 8.00ish, all backwards from there.

fay ran 8.34, never got into the race, he was 18sec down after half way and finished 18secs behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Unfortunately when you're chasing times and points, while trying to make a few bob, thats what you have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Ceepo wrote: »
    Unfortunately when you're chasing times and points, while trying to make a few bob, thats what you have to do.

I get that, but he’ll burn himself out if he keeps up the regularity of racing he’s done lately. Big potential there, don’t ruin it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

Was English racing this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Jenna Bromell ran 2:02 in Watford on Saturday evening. She's only 5th on the year list. Mad!

Roisin Willis, Breda Dennehy's daughter, recently ran 2:00.78 and is still only 16!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I get that, but he’ll burn himself out if he keeps up the regularity of racing he’s done lately. Big potential there, don’t ruin it.

Thre last few races were all about getting points except last nights race, the race in Nice was solely set up for times and there wasn't any points available.
    I don't think the 3k pacing would have took to much out of him really and sure he would have made a bit of much needed few bob for it.
    I think national champs are his next race.
    Now I didn't see the race, and maybe Sean took the foot of the gas when he knew the automatic QT wasn't on.

did someone say sweden?
    coscoran goes 3.35.66 in 2nd

sarah healy 4.07.12 (1st again, she needs a better standard of race)

barr and english to come soon

http://friidrott.elitetiming.se/live/index.php?Racenob=0&Racenoc=4601&Shownat=Shownat

barr 1st in 49.25

english 1st in 1.45.7

only coscoran letting the side down in 2nd ��

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Just saw the 1500 there. Very strong last 500 from Coscoran. He gave himself a fair little bit to do. Went from 6th to 2nd in the penultimate home straight and I thought he might have shot his bolt. Held on very well through the entire last lap. Hope he finds another half a second or more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MichiganIrish

One fewer competitor for Ciara Mageean. Shelby Houlihan done for nandrolone.

https://twitter.com/ChrisChavez/status/1404581261751074820

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oh wow! Although not too surprised either as Bowerman Track Club abruptly announced yesterday that they were doing a press conference, and most of the speculation I'd seen was that Houlihan was about to be popped.

Interesting that the appeal has already been and done, this obviously happened quite a bit ago, so for AIU to give her a four year ban means they must be pretty sure. Maybe she can get it reduced on appeal, who knows. It's interesting, because I think contaminated meat was the story Robert Farah went with in tennis and I think he managed to escape any ban. Haven't yet read the specifics of Shelby's case though so not sure how similar they are in reality. It's amusing seeing the early American reaction though, the system is all wrong and poor Shelby is the victim here apparently!

In other news if neither Hassan, Tsegay or Houlihan are running 1500 metres in Tokyo, really opens up the door for Laura Muir!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,512 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

One fewer competitor for Ciara Mageean. Shelby Houlihan done for nandrolone.

https://twitter.com/ChrisChavez/status/1404581261751074820

Wow - I'm really surprised.

Would love to know if this was common knowledge amongst her peers or not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The old contaminated meat excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The Americans aren't happy over this at all. Very different tone when its one of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

I've experience of burritos making my runs faster. Different type of runs though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,512 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The Americans aren't happy over this at all. Very different tone when its one of their own.

She does seem to be very typical of the American system - star collegiate, part of that 'fraternity'.

Having said that, athletes do often make these decisions on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The old contaminated meat excuse.

You think there's no chance the Americans dose their livestock with steroids?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Pherekydes wrote: »
    You think there's no chance the Americans dose their livestock with steroids?

Are you talking about the athletes or the cows? :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Wow - I'm really surprised.

Would love to know if this was common knowledge amongst her peers or not.

Ciara Mageean definitely didn’t know. I recall reading an interview with her after the Doha final where she spoke of Shelby being in tears after not medaling, despite running 3:54:xx. Ciara seemed very sympathetic towards her.

I’m disappointed in Shelby Houlihan. I liked her and thought that she seemed like a bit of a character. I will admit though that I’ve had my suspicions about some of the BTC athletes for a while.

Without getting into doping speculation, I believe that a particular East African female runner who has been delivering unprecedented performances this year, is a flashing red beacon. I hope that she is either popped or chooses not to run the 1500, which will open the door to victory for legitimate competitors like Faith Kipyegon or Laura Muir.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

It's a funny one. I wouldn't think a distance runner would take nandralone if choosing to dope. Have always considered that a drug used in more explosive sports.

Also, nandralone is such an easily detected drug that only stupid people would choose it in this day and age, if actually wanting to dope.

Ajee Wilson had the same thing but was cleared as she had receipts proving she ate at a particular restaurant, and got samples from the restaurant showing that the food contained the substance she tested positive for.

Houlihan likely has none of this, given she ate from a food truck.

Supposedly the food industry is very poorly regulated in the USA.

deisedude wrote: »
    I've experience of burritos making my runs faster. Different type of runs though :pac:

Whatever about the runs :), the idea that an elite athlete like Houlihan would just go a buy a burrito from some random food truck, sounds totally implausible.

Particularly when you read how fastidious most elites are about diet and nutrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Hamachi wrote: »
    Whatever about the runs :), the idea that an elite athlete like Houlihan would just go a buy a burrito from some random food truck, sounds totally implausible.

Particularly when you read how fastidious most elites are about diet and nutrition.

This is not true. I saw Dina Asher-Smith and half the GB team horsing into Burger King at the airport in Doha before flying home after Worlds. Its absolutely OK to treat yourself to a bit of sh1te every now and again, particularly after having competed and ran well.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    This is not true. I saw Dina Asher-Smith and half the GB team horsing into Burger King at the airport in Doha before flying home after Worlds. Its absolutely OK to treat yourself to a bit of sh1te every now and again, particularly after having competed and ran well.

Perhaps. I’ve just finished the autobiography of another elite female distance runner. It definitely doesn’t include pit stops at MaccyDs.

Advertisement