Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Any reason Mageean is missing the Nationals?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Ceepo wrote: »
    Has he an opportunity to race 5000m now?

Trials were on today, won by Patrick Devers in 13.37, he also has a 13.19, but doesn't make the squad. Butchart was 2nd

Needs 13:13.5 by Monday I think.

Edit : auto correct messed up the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

https://youtu.be/iQmm8Xm5bbw

Western States 100 live on Youtube...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭hurdles1

Fair play to Healy and Adeleke for lining out this morning in 200m heats. This is what you want top athletes taking each other on... nice + 1.9 wind could we see a new irish record!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

hurdles1 wrote: »
    Great to see molly scott back running well after returning to her home coaching set up with her mum. Good run by Rashidad to win the 100m. Big run from cilin Greene to beat Chris o Donnell in the 4 . Both look to have booked their places for the mixed relay. Selection headache for the women id imagine they will stick with maudsley providing she's not injured and just over cooked it today and Becker runs this season shoukd have secured her place also.
    Be surprised if Healy runs against Rhasidad in the 200m tommorrow. Athletes dont like getting beat by their main rivals. Adekele will claim all sprint records over the coming years 100m 200m and 400m and will stand for many years.

Any idea why Molly moved back to be coached by her mother? Seems a strange decision to move away from a coach and athlete who are having great success in Shane Mc and Phil..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Fair play to Healy and Adeleke for lining out this morning in 200m heats. This is what you want top athletes taking each other on... nice + 1.9 wind could we see a new irish record!!!!

I certainly is great to see the top people taking on each other.

Similar to Mageean amd Healy.
    English, Purcell, McPhillips etc..

Oh wait............

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Forge83 wrote: »
    Any idea why Molly moved back to be coached by her mother? Seems a strange decision to move away from a coach and athlete who are having great success in Shane Mc and Phil..

I don't think the move to Shane Mc was a permanent one. I'm pretty sure it was a camp to pick up different things and the plan was to always go back to her mother.

Faugheen wrote: »
    I don't think the move to Shane Mc was a permanent one. I'm pretty sure it was a camp to pick up different things and the plan was to always go back to her mother.

Some times the..grass is not always greener...
    Didnt have a great season the previous one and maybe felt a change of scenery might improve things. Parents coaching family members can be tricky at top level. Deirdre is a top coach and molly is running really well since returning to familiar surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

Nervous few days ahead for Mark English and Coscoran, English just missed out on the Auto Q today again in Leverkusen ~1.45.50. Window shuts on Tues and conditions don't look promising for racing in Luzern on Tues night. I'd imagine results will be flying in over the next few days shaking up the quota system.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The 800m women are right on the bubble too. Power is safe but the others will go down to the wire

• Advertisement

Dissapointing run from Harrry Purcell yesterday in the 4. His recent top form over 800m didnt transfer to the 4 yesterday. Any relay ambition now gone. The selection for this mixed relay going to be tough. If Rhasidad wins the 200m today in a good time or record will thatswing it for her considering her 400m races this season and her sub. 51.sec relay split in the states recently., also the experience it will give her for future years or will they go for experience and loyalty to the relay program with maudsley and Becker running in world relays. Someone will be dissapointed. Will they bring Rob Mc Donnell for the experience.... good to see competition for places to drive everyone forward in future years.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

what a race. fook u wind

jamule wrote: »
    what a race. fook u wind

What a race would pay good money to see moreof this. Fair play to both girls for putting on a spectacle other athletes might have ducked each other. Surely someone could have doctored that wind gauge to a +2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Hamachi

What a race would pay good money to see moreof this. Fair play to both girls for putting on a spectacle other athletes might have ducked each other. Surely someone could have doctored that wind gauge to a +2.

Is this the Women’s 200m? Can you please post the results / times?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Hamachi wrote: »

"Phil Healy runs 22.83s & Rhasdiat Adeleke runs 22.84s. So unlucky not to be a Record with the windspeed."

One hundredth of a second between the two. It was a great race - Adeleke had a biggish lead coming around the bend but Healy wore her down.

All the results are here live.athleticsireland.ie

Healy won in 22.83. Just ahead of Adeleke in 22.84

Wind was +2.1

Dodge wrote: »
    All the results are here live.athleticsireland.ie

Healy won in 22.83. Just ahead of Adeleke in 22.84

Wind was +2.1

What a shame with the wind speed.

Lavin wins 100m hurdles in 13.17. Should be enough to get Tokyo

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FitzjamesHorse

Sarah Lavin will hopefully make it.
    Phil Healy certainly. Rashidat maybe borderline but she has run relays. Too big a talent to leave behind.

Phil Healy certainly. Rashidat maybe borderline but she has run relays. Too big a talent to leave behind.

And she's getting faster and faster at every distance. It would be crazy not to have her there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

https://twitter.com/Dee_Bee79/status/1409151553169203201?s=19

Strazdas wrote: »
    And she's getting faster and faster at every distance. It would be crazy not to have her there.

Would be tough to leave either Becker or Maudsley behind given their form this season and commitment to the mixed relay project training squad days etc and part of qualifying in poland. No doubt Rhasidad will be a future olympian personally i woukd take the other 2 girls.

Mar Azul wrote: »

Great race. Phil clearly has no intention of surrendering her crown as sprint queen.

Hopefully, this level of competition will push them both to ever faster times. I feel like the Irish records for 100m and 200m should be close to 11 and 22:50 respectively.

Would be tough to leave either Becker or Maudsley behind given their form this season and commitment to the mixed relay project training squad days etc and part of qualifying in poland. No doubt Rhasidad will be a future olympian personally i woukd take the other 2 girls.

Agreed about Becker and Maudsley, but the suspicion with Adeleke is that she can probably go even faster. She was able to push a flat out Phil Healy to 100th of a second over her favoured distance. She's clearly improving, so it's going to be a somewhat tricky decision for the selectors.

It’ll only be relays (if that). Rashidat has no chance through the rankings

Edit - unless she runs 22.80 between now and Tuesday

I should have been more clear, "borderline" in the sense of relay selection rather than rankings. There is always a problem when qualification is secured by a person or persons who are not later selected for the Games. Already happened with Canoeing.
    In poland they would all have known an Olympic place was not guaranteed. I'd go with the three fastest.

And a quickly arranged 200 race would be great . But maybe too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Great race. Phil clearly has no intention of surrendering her crown as sprint queen.

Hopefully, this level of competition will push them both to ever faster times. I feel like the Irish records for 100m and 200m should be close to 11 and 22:50 respectively.

You'd do well to get better conditions than today. The wind was blowing at the perfect angle so they had it at their backs most of the way. Had the wind been 2.0 it would have been perfect.

No Guarantees Phil will go faster. The cards have to fall the right way re conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

Faugheen wrote: »

Definitely not. It was supposed to be a permanent move. Just checked back on social media as it was posted at the time.

• Advertisement

After all the shenanigans with live feed commentary lads dropped in the lead up thought todays commentary guys doing a better job until just before 200m final one commented that Marcus Lawlor and LEON REID were great role models for young athletes. Someone hasn't done their homework or read the papers........

Advertisement