Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Itziger wrote: »
    Hassan still the favourite? Why? Gidey is 5k and 10k World record holder!
    I think Hassan is a better racer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Oh for the love of god.. Can anyone thats available give these lads a good shaking...

Athletics Ireland has made the surprisingly late decision to withdraw all men’s and women’s teams from the European Athletics Team Championships First League, which is set to take place in Cluj-Napoca, in Romania on the weekend after next, June 19th-20th.

Following considerable discussion of the ongoing challenges of Covid-19 and international travel for high performance athletes, Athletics Ireland have confirmed that an Irish team will not be competing at the European Team Championships on the 19th/20th of June in Romania.

“The national track and field championships scheduled for June 25th, 26th, and 27th would result in many athletes not being available to travel to the team championships. Possible quarantines could result in athletes missing their national championships which will offer the chance to earn valuable ranking points towards Olympic qualification.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/athletics-ireland-withdraw-from-european-team-championships-1.4588941?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

At the NCAAs, Barry Keane and Jack O'Leary both ran PBs in the 10k final, placing 15th and 16th in a super fast race in 28:28 and 28:29 respectively. The top 10 finished inside the meet record.

Cathal Doyle was the fastest non-qualifier in the 1500m, with a PB 3:39.21.

Eric Favors was a DNS in the Shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Karsten Warholm took over a second off the 300m Hurdles world record this week. 33:26

Pherekydes wrote: »
    At the NCAAs, Barry Keane and Jack O'Leary both ran PBs in the 10k final, placing 15th and 16th in a super fast race in 28:28 and 28:29 respectively. The top 10 finished inside the meet record.

Cathal Doyle was the fastest non-qualifier in the 1500m, with a PB 3:39.21.

Eric Favors was a DNS in the Shot.

Footage of the 1500s

https://youtu.be/d4IL_5Rd3F4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Ceepo wrote: »
    Oh for the love of god.. Can anyone thats available give these lads a good shaking...

Athletics Ireland has made the surprisingly late decision to withdraw all men’s and women’s teams from the European Athletics Team Championships First League, which is set to take place in Cluj-Napoca, in Romania on the weekend after next, June 19th-20th.

Following considerable discussion of the ongoing challenges of Covid-19 and international travel for high performance athletes, Athletics Ireland have confirmed that an Irish team will not be competing at the European Team Championships on the 19th/20th of June in Romania.

“The national track and field championships scheduled for June 25th, 26th, and 27th would result in many athletes not being available to travel to the team championships. Possible quarantines could result in athletes missing their national championships which will offer the chance to earn valuable ranking points towards Olympic qualification.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/athletics-ireland-withdraw-from-european-team-championships-1.4588941?mode=amp

Hamish Adams seems very very risk averse. It’s like he would rather not do something than risk doing it and there being a problem. In other words covering his own arse in the end of the day.
    This guy is not the guy to take the AAI forward and needs to be removed before he causes long term damage to athletics in Ireland.
    He has literally guided us through covid by doing absolutely nothing and getting paid for it.

Our high level athletes are travelling Europe for races anyway so it makes zero sense to withdraw a team from this when it’s just another race. Surely a PCR test on return would be sufficient to compete at nationals.
    I feel very sorry for those developing athletes whose exposure to international competition starts at the Euro team champs but will now miss out for a second year. This cannot be good in either the short term for drop outs or long term for development.

Forge83 wrote: »
    Hamish Adams seems very very risk averse. It’s like he would rather not do something than risk doing it and there being a problem. In other words covering his own arse in the end of the day.
    This guy is not the guy to take the AAI forward and needs to be removed before he causes long term damage to athletics in Ireland.
    He has literally guided us through covid by doing absolutely nothing and getting paid for it.

Our high level athletes are travelling Europe for races anyway so it makes zero sense to withdraw a team from this when it’s just another race. Surely a PCR test on return would be sufficient to compete at nationals.
    I feel very sorry for those developing athletes whose exposure to international competition starts at the Euro team champs but will now miss out for a second year. This cannot be good in either the short term for drop outs or long term for development.

Athletics Ireland under Amams is a joke.
    We have a high performance director that couldn't train water to run out of a bath.
    Its the same old, same old over and over again.
    Giving each other awards ever year seems to be the only thing they're good at.
    I know from talking to a few international athletes what AI do for them, which is pretty much nothing, unless theres something in it for them.

We have soccer, hockey, rowing, rugby, boxing teams competing international, and yes there is restrictions but they seem to have a progressive approach to overcoming them.

Its a crying shame that these young and aspiring athletes can't compete at these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Ceepo wrote: »
    We have soccer, hockey, rowing, rugby, boxing teams competing international, and yes there is restrictions but they seem to have a progressive approach to overcoming them.

You have really hit the nail on the head here. Athletics Ireland’s approach overall has been completely regressive in comparison to most other organisations.

People like Paul McNamara and Jacqui Freyne get places within the system because they tow the line. They are glorified pencil pushers who are disliked by most.
    We need a proper Irish athletics CEO also, not guys like Foley and Adams. There is one obvious name that is bursting to influence major change here.

People I would call disrupters who get results are almost outcast by the association at times. They are rarely pulled inwards because they are seen as difficult because their mindset is more progressive. These are the type of people we need more involved combined with some of the fantastic volunteers that do sit on AAI boards and committees. Now some may have no interest in that but there have been some fantastic people involved who are no longer involved or are playing a far smaller part within the sport then they should be. I think most of you will know the names of a few of these people without me mentioning names.

Forge83 wrote: »
    You have really hit the nail on the head here. Athletics Ireland’s approach overall has been completely regressive in comparison to most other organisations.

People like Paul McNamara and Jacqui Freyne get places within the system because they tow the line. They are glorified pencil pushers who are disliked by most.
    We need a proper Irish athletics CEO also, not guys like Foley and Adams. There is one obvious name that is bursting to influence major change here.

People I would call disrupters who get results are almost outcast by the association at times. They are rarely pulled inwards because they are seen as difficult because their mindset is more progressive. These are the type of people we need more involved combined with some of the fantastic volunteers that do sit on AAI boards and committees. Now some may have no interest in that but there have been some fantastic people involved who are no longer involved or are playing a far smaller part within the sport then they should be. I think most of you will know the names of a few of these people without me mentioning names.

I can't disagree with anything that you have said here.

People like who you're referring to will never get into any position of influence within AI unfortunately, as they would have to ruffle to many feathers along the way.
    I know from personal experience of attending CO board meetings for far to many years, all be it a few years ago the **** show that goes.
    There was a few of us "younger" people willing to get involved and suggested many "new" ideas, only to be stonewall at every junction. I just gave up hitting the wall after a few years.
    This is not to say that there isn't good people involved, just not enough that can influence change.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FitzjamesHorse

There is always a certain amount of tension between athletes and "the blazers". I think we see that in several sports including for example FAI. Maybe there SHOULD be tension. If the athletes do their job and the blazers do theirs.

Athletes (including club athletes) will always identify with athletes (including high profile athletes).
    Club officials will always identify with the "blazers".
    But nothing new.
    This year, like every other year, someone will get the nod over someone else for selection and a seat on the plane.
    When I was a young and single man......40 plus years ago, I was regular supporter at Belfield. Not many spectators 1976-1980 ish. so always close enough to see athletes and blazers interact. I formed the impression that they did not like each other.
    I was only ever a jogger so peripheral to athletics.

And if people are club runners or international athletes or an official at AAI or a club secretary in County Tipperary....there is an agenda.
    I have none.
    Actually going to the 1980 Olympics cured me of even peripheral involvement.
    Or maybe it was the Great Trust Fund Row (what year was that???). Didnt the IOC blazers say that the athletes had to "be in good standing with BLE".......was that reasonable? was it a threat? did the athletes threaten to boycott?
    probably depends on whether a person considers themselves to be pro-blazer or anti-blazer.
    Clearly there are ex-athletes itching to get a chance at reforming AAI.
    But sometimes, people who wore singlets get to wear very big blazers...and are just as bad.

• Advertisement

There is always a certain amount of tension between athletes and "the blazers". I think we see that in several sports including for example FAI. Maybe there SHOULD be tension. If the athletes do their job and the blazers do theirs.

Athletes (including club athletes) will always identify with athletes (including high profile athletes).
    Club officials will always identify with the "blazers".
    But nothing new.
    This year, like every other year, someone will get the nod over someone else for selection and a seat on the plane.
    When I was a young and single man......40 plus years ago, I was regular supporter at Belfield. Not many spectators 1976-1980 ish. so always close enough to see athletes and blazers interact. I formed the impression that they did not like each other.
    I was only ever a jogger so peripheral to athletics.

And if people are club runners or international athletes or an official at AAI or a club secretary in County Tipperary....there is an agenda.
    I have none.
    Actually going to the 1980 Olympics cured me of even peripheral involvement.
    Or maybe it was the Great Trust Fund Row (what year was that???). Didnt the IOC blazers say that the athletes had to "be in good standing with BLE".......was that reasonable? was it a threat? did the athletes threaten to boycott?
    probably depends on whether a person considers themselves to be pro-blazer or anti-blazer.
    Clearly there are ex-athletes itching to get a chance at reforming AAI.
    But sometimes, people who wore singlets get to wear very big blazers...and are just as bad.

Any tension between blazers and athletes is always there for a reason.
    "Some" blazers think that they're above the regular Joe or Josephine that the claim to represent. This was fairly evident and highlighted be Roy Keane in the FAI.
    There are also anecdotal evidence of this in many other sports including athletics.
    I dont share your vuew that there should be tension between them.
    Of course there many be some personal issues around selection but have a clear and concise criteria would help to alleviate this.
    Unfortunately there has always been other personal issues around team selection at under age where certain "favourite" athletes were selected ahead of others.
    I know of one case where a national champ was never selected for an Irish team, because he wasn't part of the "in group".

AI and its officials role should be to facilitate the smooth running of the association and should be there for the athletes. They should only be there for a short duration and pass in the baton (excuse the pun) in a better place than they found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FitzjamesHorse

When I say that there "should" be tension, I mean that if both sides did their job fully there would be a healthy creative tension.
    But as Olympic selection looms, we can already see the potential for discontent, appeals, media campaigns and solicitors....whether its Hockey, Show Jumping or whatever.
    Some people just LOVE to wear blazers.
    Some people who LOVE to wear blazers are also dedicated volunteers at School events in sunny Wexford summers and at novice cross country events in wintery blustery Sligo.
    Some athletes at all levels retire and "want to put something back". Often, they are discouraged.
    Some athletes just retire.
    And all champion athletes ran in the county schools finals several years ago and were the golden children, who were always evenly matched in the Under 14 800 metres with other kids who did not make the grade...and with better guidance would have stayed the course and "made it".
    These personal issues can last forever.

Volunteering can be a very noble thing to, but should be done for the good of the sport, and not the good of the volunteer.

We probably all know the volunteer who gives out that they have to do a lot of work, but when someone offers to help, it has to be done their way. Sometimes it can be a double edge blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Dodge wrote: »
    Mageean down for the diamond league meeting in Italy tomorrow. Hopefully she can put a performance in. I think she needs to…

Is she in the running for a spot at the Olympics, I dont see much about her online

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Florence meet is live on BBC4.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Is she in the running for a spot at the Olympics, I dont see much about her online

She’s long qualified.

It appears she had an injury/illness recently so she’ll be looking for form

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

ElTel wrote: »
    Florence meet is live on BBC4.

Great stuff thanks

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Dodge wrote: »
    She’s long qualified.

It appears she had an injury/illness recently so she’ll be looking for form

I see that now, must have been spelling her name wrong ...

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Ciara Mageean coming up now in a stacked 1500m.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

What a women’s 1500m. Great race

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

4.04.32 for Ciara in 12th

“Unbelievable” from Hassan

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Well Hassan and Kipyegon delivered! Would really like Muir to get a PB again, she's knocked on the tour a couple of times.

An ominous race for Kipyegon really, if she can't beat Hassan when she's just ran a 29:06 10k then it's going to be very difficult to beat her in Tokyo. Of course Hassan is reportedly not doing the 1500, but that could change.

Hopefully a great men's 5,000 coming up. Surely we'll finally see Jakob go sub 13?

Hopefully a great men's 5,000 coming up. Surely we'll finally see Jakob go sub 13?

Oh yes he can! Some race, European record.

Great race. Some performance by Jakob and Katir

Great race. Some performance by Jakob and Katir

Absolutely fantastic from Jakob,
    Katir almost went through 3000m as he could race 3000m last year... He's hot, very hot.

Great 1500m race too, reasonable run from Mageean, unfortunately for her 1500m racing has moved on from 4.04

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

So is Jacob's run a 5000 medal winning performance in Tokyo? What do people think? I'll say silver or bronze.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

So is Jacob's run a 5000 medal winning performance in Tokyo? What do people think? I'll say silver or bronze.

He will be there or there abouts, anywhere between 1st and 5th. Champ races are a diff thing than a paced diamond race, pace does be all over the place, He will need his 1500m speed and go with the right move.

Still difficult to say, Kiplimo and Barega were missing tonight. Right now I don't think he's a gold medal winner, but a medallist certainly. Can't believe he's still just 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

In the NCAAs Rhasidat Adeleke started as the slowest in her 200m heat both on SB and PB, but finished a creditable 4th in 23.16, 11th overall. She also ran on the 4x1 Texas team which qualified for the final.

Grace McKenzie starts in the Heptathlon at 8 p.m. this evening.

Advertisement