Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    With Diarmuid out for a while I think it makes sense to put AOS in midfield beside Ruane. That's where he played his best stuff against Clare. I don't think AOS works inside. He's not a reliable enough scorer. Ryan O'Donoghue seems to really have the hang of the advanced mark, simply because he makes clever runs out to the wing and catches the ball into his chest. Aido won't be able to do that.

So maybe a full forward line of Tommy, James Carr and Ryan. We could play Loftus at 11 then as he's probably the best free taking option?

I'd agree with all of that except that is a very young FF line - I suppose you have to try it sometime.
    Same question around Aido's fitness as from MayoAreMagic - he did very well in the first half the last day but struggled in the second as he was dragged out of position (clever move by Collins too). I wouldn't have him in FF as we've seen defenders just pull and drag him all day long and never getting the calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭muddle84

Blackjack wrote: »
    I'd agree with all of that except that is a very young FF line - I suppose you have to try it sometime.
    Same question around Aido's fitness as from MayoAreMagic - he did very well in the first half the last day but struggled in the second as he was dragged out of position (clever move by Collins too). I wouldn't have him in FF as we've seen defenders just pull and drag him all day long and never getting the calls.

I never liked Oshea in too deep as it frustrates the crap out of me when he has appeared 50 yards out taking a free!!!!!!

I would much prefer to see Horan make use of the mobility and pace we have up front now and keep O'shea in the middle of the field. Himself and Ruane worked quite well there in 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

How far is Jason Doherty from returning?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

He's back now. The weekend of the westmeath game he played in a challenge game with the rest of the panel members against the U20 team. He also played for Burrishoole last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

A more pertinent question, is will he be in any cit shape to add anything to the county team within the next two months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

A more pertinent question, is will he be in any cit shape to add anything to the county team within the next two months.

Without doubt Jason Doherty is a massive addition . Before his injury he was almost at his peak in football . If he is anything remotely close to it then he is a starter .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Without doubt Jason Doherty is a massive addition . Before his injury he was almost at his peak in football . If he is anything remotely close to it then he is a starter .

For sligo letrim no bother but as the games get tougher that is where the injury he had will start to show I hope he has a full bill of health come galway

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Thou

Back playing club football alright, but it's going to take him time, had a reoccurance of the cruciate injury didn't he. Expecting him to hit peak form at inter county level again after being out for so long is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

naughto wrote: »
    For sligo letrim no bother but as the games get tougher that is where the injury he had will start to show I hope he has a full bill of health come galway

Or Roscommon .......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

km79 wrote: »
    Or Roscommon .......

…… if we get that far

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Or Roscommon .......

Fully expected them to turn the rossies over they seem to be going backwards.
    Sligo letrim bottom of div 4 it says it all really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Thou wrote: »
    Back playing club football alright, but it's going to take him time, had a reoccurance of the cruciate injury didn't he. Expecting him to hit peak form at inter county level again after being out for so long is crazy.

It was the other knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

It was the other knee.

Correct ,he's done the cruciate in both knees in the last two years.To be back at any level is some achievement both mental and physical.I didn't think he'd play for Mayo again but it's a testament to the man that's he's put himself back in the picture.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

HBC08 wrote: »
    Correct ,he's done the cruciate in both knees in the last two years.To be back at any level is some achievement both mental and physical.I didn't think he'd play for Mayo again but it's a testament to the man that's he's put himself back in the picture.

Very much agree. Age and 2 really serious injuries, you have to wonder where the appetite is from but when you look at himself and the cousin, aside from this year was playing FBD, league and championship every single season then there is some "want" to wear that Mayo jersey.

I'd really like to see him start in COC position as he brings a real wealth of experience and calm and also scores well from play and frees.

If we could get himself and Harrison back into that team then we will be much better for it as it will free up Keegan or Mullin.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Supporter

Darragh O Se wrote today in Irish Times "Complacency cost teams last year and it will do so again this year". I see Peter Keane(Kerry) is talking up Clare and Kieran Donaghy(Armagh) is also talking up Antrim, they both are making sure that Kerry and Armagh are properly tuned in to the challenges they face this weekend. Mayo are playing Sligo in Markievicz Park and the Sligo Manager knows the strenghts and weaknesses of the Senior Mayo Players (having worked with them for two or three years). Are Mayo properly tuned in for the challenge they will face in Sligo on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Darragh O Se wrote today in Irish Times "Complacency cost teams last year and it will do so again this year". I see Peter Keane(Kerry) is talking up Clare and Kieran Donaghy(Armagh) is also talking up Antrim, they both are making sure that Kerry and Armagh are properly tuned in to the challenges they face this weekend. Mayo are playing Sligo in Markievicz Park and the Sligo Manager knows the strenghts and weaknesses of the Senior Mayo Players (having worked with them for two or three years). Are Mayo properly tuned in for the challenge they will face in Sligo on Saturday?

Sligo finished last in the league. I can't see of being much of a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭MacDanger

yop wrote: »
    Very much agree. Age and 2 really serious injuries, you have to wonder where the appetite is from but when you look at himself and the cousin, aside from this year was playing FBD, league and championship every single season then there is some "want" to wear that Mayo jersey.

Who's Doc's cousin?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

**** off Darragh :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

MacDanger wrote: »
    Who's Doc's cousin?

Kevin McLaughlin

I think we will do our usual of pushing Sligo, conceding a goal or 2, then having the bench/fitness to pull ourselves through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Squatman

yop wrote: »
    Kevin McLaughlin

I think we will do our usual of pushing Sligo, conceding a goal or 2, then having the bench/fitness to pull ourselves through

it would be a damning indictment of the team if they concede goals to sligo. May as well park up the bus if that happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭muddle84

Squatman wrote: »
    it would be a damning indictment of the team if they concede goals to sligo. May as well park up the bus if that happens

We conceded 2-11 to them in 2015. Pushed Dublin to a replay that year.....

muddle84 wrote: »
    We conceded 2-11 to them in 2015. Pushed Dublin to a replay that year.....

Thats our "usual" :D

Oshea to start full forward is what iam hearing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

naughto wrote: »
    Oshea to start full forward is what iam hearing

Team has been named. Loftus in for D O'C, Aido in at 14.

would prefer the other way around to be honest, Aido would be better in midfield in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blowitupref

10 of the Mayo All Ireland final team from December. Out the retired Clarke, Barrett. The O'Connor brothers and S Coen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

1. Rob Hennelly
    2. Enda Hession
    3. Oisin Mullin
    4. Lee Keegan
    5. Paddy Durcan
    6. Michael Plunkett
    7. Eoghan McLaughlin
    8. Matthew Ruane
    9. Conor Loftus
    10. Kevin McLoughlin
    11. Darren McHale
    12. Bryan Walsh
    13. Tommy Conroy
    14. Aidan O Shea ( C )
    15. Ryan O Donoghue

Prefer to see Ryan O Donoghue out around centre half forward,Aido out around the middle.Toss up for the man inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

seligehgit wrote: »
    1. Rob Hennelly
    2. Enda Hession
    3. Oisin Mullin
    4. Lee Keegan
    5. Paddy Durcan
    6. Michael Plunkett
    7. Eoghan McLaughlin
    8. Matthew Ruane
    9. Conor Loftus
    10. Kevin McLoughlin
    11. Darren McHale
    12. Bryan Walsh
    13. Tommy Conroy
    14. Aidan O Shea ( C )
    15. Ryan O Donoghue

Prefer to see Ryan O Donoghue out around centre half forward,Aido out around the middle.Toss up for the man inside.

What are views on Hession - does he warrant a place ahead of EoD for example? I caught a couple of the league games on the radio so didn't see much of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Hopefully Sligo actually show something and make some kind of game from it.

Will be rooting for a big sligo performance this weekend, but no real doubt that mayo should be clear winners

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

What are views on Hession - does he warrant a place ahead of EoD for example? I caught a couple of the league games on the radio so didn't see much of him.

I think Hession was better than EOD in the league. Don't see anyone more deserving of a place unless Harrison returns to fitness and form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement