Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Any news yet on Cillian O'Connor?

Didn't look in great shape coming off at all :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Cartman78 wrote: »

I heard that there's likely to be news tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭muddle84

Cartman78 wrote: »

Nothing official or confirmed, but apparently its his Achilles. No idea how serious though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

muddle84 wrote: »
    Nothing official or confirmed, but apparently its his Achilles. No idea how serious though!

He's out for the season,it was Achilles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

HBC08 wrote: »

Where did you hear that?.
    Disaster for us if he’s out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

That's a huge blow for us. We saw how nothing stuck up front in the second half after he went off and our pressure of the Clare kickouts also totally disappeared. He brings a great physical presence that we can't replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Blackjack wrote: »
    Where did you hear that?.
    Disaster for us if he’s out.

That's the situation,I'm sure there'll be an announcement tonight or over the next few days but that's it im afraid.
    Total unmitigated disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

o Shea was out for the season too and he was back in a few weeks. Let's not get excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Panrich wrote: »
    That's a huge blow for us. We saw how nothing stuck up front in the second half after he went off and our pressure of the Clare kickouts also totally disappeared. He brings a great physical presence that we can't replace.

We will do well to win connacht without him and that’s the reality
    Another year older next year when he returns then along with Aido and a few more :(
    Depressing

That's the situation,I'm sure there'll be an announcement tonight or over the next few days but that's it im afraid.
    Total unmitigated disaster.

Terrible news for Cillian from a personal point of view.

His loss is unquantifiable.

We will truly see the worth of this young and evolving squad which still has great potential.

A Connacht title and a decent rattle at the Dubs would be a great year.

Any news on Diarmuid?

I heard through the grapevine that Brendan Harrison's is struggling to attain full fitness.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Terrible news for Cillian from a personal point of view.

His loss is unquantifiable.

We will truly see the worth of this young and evolving squad which still has great potential.

A Connacht title and a decent rattle at the Dubs would be a great year.

Any news on Diarmuid?

I heard through the grapevine that Brendan Harrison's is struggling to attain full fitness.

The good news keeps on coming :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

km79 wrote: »
    We will do well to win connacht without him and that’s the reality
    Another year older next year when he returns then along with Aido and a few more :(
    Depressing
    Not having him for the potential All Ireland semi final would be the biggest loss. A likely competitive contest could become non competitive without his influence.

irishgeo wrote: »
    o Shea was out for the season too and he was back in a few weeks. Let's not get excited.

O'Shea didn't have an achilles injury though....and Cillian is a much much bigger loss!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Even if Brendan Harrison ever makes it back to intercounty fitness, I would be shocked if he is the same player he was before. He is a long time out of action now, and I don't know that his body is ever going to be back to where it needs to be.

Diarmuid did the hammer, supposedly.

Cillian is the more concerning issue. Have heard the worrying rumours myself. I think we will struggle hugely without him, even in Connacht, and if we were to make it through that somehow, I would worry about us in a semi-final. We fell apart the last day when he went off. He steadies the ship up front and the loss of another experienced head in a relatively inexperienced, young squad just doesn't fill one with optimism. It's a worse loss than O'Shea, imo.

However, I do believe Jason Doherty is very much back in action and played a full 70 for Burrishoole recently and scored well. It will be good to have that bit of experience back in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

seligehgit wrote: »

I said it on here months ago that a relative of his had told me that his body just isn't capable of sustaining the rigours of IC football.

I said it on here months ago that a relative of his had told me that his body just isn't capable of sustaining the rigours of IC football.

I remember that comment and it seems to be the case!

PressRun wrote: »
    Even if Brendan Harrison ever makes it back to intercounty fitness, I would be shocked if he is the same player he was before. He is a long time out of action now, and I don't know that his body is ever going to be back to where it needs to be.

Diarmuid did the hammer, supposedly.

Cillian is the more concerning issue. Have heard the worrying rumours myself. I think we will struggle hugely without him, even in Connacht, and if we were to make it through that somehow, I would worry about us in a semi-final. We fell apart the last day when he went off. He steadies the ship up front and the loss of another experienced head in a relatively inexperienced, young squad just doesn't fill one with optimism. It's a worse loss than O'Shea, imo.

However, I do believe Jason Doherty is very much back in action and played a full 70 for Burrishoole recently and scored well. It will be good to have that bit of experience back in the squad.

Indeed by all accounts pretty much scored everything for them at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Looking like Cillian is out for the season. Heard it directly from someone close to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blowitupref

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

muddle84 wrote: »
    O'Shea didn't have an achilles injury though....and Cillian is a much much bigger loss!!

The rumours were he had done the cruicate , so let's not get ahead of ourselves is what I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Compo82

Heard that too from someone close to the O'Connors. Said Diarmuid will be back but Cillian is gone for the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

John Fogarty now reporting that Cillian will be having surgery on his Achilles this week.

PressRun wrote: »
    John Fogarty now reporting that Cillian will be having surgery on his Achilles this week.

That’s that so :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

From https://mayogaa.com/news-detail/10071788/

STATEMENT: CILLIAN O'CONNOR
    Jun 16,2021
    Following last Sunday's NFL game versus Clare GAA all injured players received further assessment with the Mayo medical team.

Cillian O’Connor sustained an Achilles Tendon injury that will require a procedure this week.

We wish him well and look forward to seeing him on the playing field again as soon as possible.

Mayo GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

disaster....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Blackjack wrote: »
    From https://mayogaa.com/news-detail/10071788/

STATEMENT: CILLIAN O'CONNOR
    Jun 16,2021
    Following last Sunday's NFL game versus Clare GAA all injured players received further assessment with the Mayo medical team.

Cillian O’Connor sustained an Achilles Tendon injury that will require a procedure this week.

We wish him well and look forward to seeing him on the playing field again as soon as possible.

Mayo GAA

Thats tough on the lad now if he is out for the championship.
    We'd need to see Diarmuid back also and hopefully DOC will return.
    DOC could be a good option inside with AOS if that is where he ultimately ends up.
    Our free taking options will need to expand. Seems to be DOC, Diarmuid, Kev Mc Laughs and Towey maybe.

It does open an opportunity for someone else to step up now also, but would prefer it hadn't happened through injury to COC.

[quote="yop;117435837"
    Our free taking options will need to expand. Seems to be DOC, Diarmuid, Kev Mc Laughs and Towey maybe.

.[/quote]

Horan clearly sees Hennelly as an option on long range frees too ..........
    I’d have him or Kevin Mc nowhere near them !

We are goosed . Hopefully scrape Connacht and not get hammered in the semi by Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

Yeah , the most important player on the team without a doubt. Massive, massive loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

yop wrote: »
    Thats tough on the lad now if he is out for the championship.
    We'd need to see Diarmuid back also and hopefully DOC will return.
    DOC could be a good option inside with AOS if that is where he ultimately ends up.

It does open an opportunity for someone else to step up now also, but would prefer it hadn't happened through injury to COC.

This is the problem to a degree. We have loads of good players of equal ability and that's why we see guys in and out with Horan, but we are not getting players to make the next step up to replace the likes of O'Connor. Mullen is the only new guy you could say without question that he is a level above the rest.
    Alot of the newer guys over the last year or so are to a degree interchangeable and that is a real problem. I know it takes some time, but Carr, ROD, Conroy, Moran, etc are all playing at the same level.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement