Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Have we got within 5 yards of them which they are shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This is getting scary

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭freddie_

Eoin O’D hasn’t the physicality for inter county.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Trying to keep possession rather keeping on the front.

Doing a really bad job of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

And on the flip side that wasn't a free.

How was that a free....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

We will be lucky to come out of this rubbish .

After a great start Towey has been very wasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

seligehgit wrote: »
    Towey is a class act.

You fairly jinxed him with that, he has had a stinker of a final quarter and a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Seems crazy to be saying this after we have gotten promoted and such a good first half but
    That’s a worrying and potentially very damaging match for a few reasons
    We can see now 100% that Horan will not change

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Great stuff in the end. Well done Mayo. Job done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

km79 wrote: »
    Seems crazy to be saying this after we have gotten promoted and such a good first half but

Absolute waste of time this swashbuckling football if we're going to let better teams do the same to us. Recipe for disaster and Horan is not going to change.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

irishgeo wrote: »
    county board "people" were allowed too.
    He's not county board. Strings pulled.
    Absolute waste of time this swashbuckling football if we're going to let better teams do the same to us. Recipe for disaster and Horan is not going to change.

Hennelly useless again. Bring panic back and after how many years we revert to him taking frees
    Lack of experience hurt us but Clare never gonna lie down.

Good game for neutral but fk me know how to do it the long way

We should be rejoicing after a great performance and looking forward to the championship instead we got that rubbish in the second half. It's so frustrating after the quality in the first half. We just don't have and answer once teams put on the pressure.

We're still so soft down the middle. Every team seem to have the ability to score 2 or 3 goals against us.

We should be rejoicing after a great performance and looking forward to the championship instead we got that rubbish in the second half. It's so frustrating after the quality in the first half. We just don't have and answer once teams put on the pressure.

We're still so soft down the middle. Every team seem to have the ability to score 2 or 3 goals against us.
    And throw in the odd high ball ....

Really missed the O Connor brothers in the second half.

Cillian in particular as a focal point of our attack.

Turned over lots of ball going into the tackle.

That O Neill lad caused havoc in the full back line.

Robbie should be taking ball and man.

He's never been as commanding under the high ball as David Clarke.

We'll score lots but concede plenty too.

Horanball will only take us so far.

If I could have only paused the record button at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

I know it's frustrating. It's pity they can't be bit more pragmatic in their style as we have hell of a squad building again. Really impressive going forward at times.

Surely Horan sees that we need to deploy a sweeper and can't go man v man all the time.

Anyhow fair paly to them. Promoted on first time of asking

Fowler87 wrote: »
    I know it's frustrating. It's pity they can't be bit more pragmatic in their style as we have hell of a squad building again. Really impressive going forward at times.

Surely Horan sees that we need to deploy a sweeper and can't go man v man all the time.

Anyhow fair paly to them. Promoted on first time of asking
    I think it’s fairly evident by now that Horan does not see that
    Higgins interview on OTB a few weeks ago was damning

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Great stuff in the end. Well done Mayo. Job done

TBF to James Horan when you lose players of the quality of David Clarke and Keith Higgins defensively.

Brendan Harrison is still sorely missed.

We are a very inexperienced team if you look though the panel.

Realistic re my expectations of this team in transition.

That's not to say James Horan will change his methods.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

[PHP][/PHP]
    TBF to James Horan when you lose players of the quality of David Clarke and Keith Higgins defensively.

Brendan Harrison is still sorely missed.

We are a very inexperienced team if you look though the panel.

Realistic re my expectations of this team in transition.

That's not to say James Horan will change his methods.

That's a key point. This team will take another 2 years to rebuild.
    If you look at the number of new players in the 12 months then that's a credit to horan.
    He hasn't fixed the soft centre from keeper to half back which has haunted us for years.
    Coen adds a different dimension but we are way to open down the middle and panic ensues then.
    AOS had a top game in the centre but when the Clare midfielder went in FF we lost that.

Our goal was to go up, it's done
    We have seen another 2-3 players come in.

Onto the championship. If we win connacht then that's a good year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

We made hard work of it very stupid sh1te in front of goal again.hennelly again like what's wrong with him to take man and ball then up for free kick it's just madness.

Though Duncan was impressive his run up middle with 3 of them after him and taps it over class.

Any work on the o conner brothers doc looked hamstring.coc looked knee the way he was limping off.
    The good thing will be we will not need either for sligo or letrim so they have time to recover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Cillian told the medical staff it was an Achilles when they came on.
    Don't know if it was a tear,strain,rupture but none of that is good,if it's anything other than a strain that's his season over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭spakman

naughto wrote: »
    We made hard work of it very stupid sh1te in front of goal again.hennelly again like what's wrong with him to take man and ball then up for free kick it's just madness.

Though Duncan was impressive his run up middle with 3 of them after him and taps it over class.

Any work on the o conner brothers doc looked hamstring.coc looked knee the way he was limping off.
    The good thing will be we will not need either for sligo or letrim so they have time to recover

Hennelly clattered a Meath forward when he came out and took a dangerous ball. I thought it was a sign he had gained some confidence when Clarke was no longer breathing down his neck.
    Maybe thats still the case but he definitely should have done better for first goal today. It was his only mistake i remember though and he was very good from kickouts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

well done today lads , that 20 minute dominance in the first half was some exibition , clare are in fairness a seriously conditioned side but lack the ability to really compete at division 1 level , its the conditioning that beats most other teams in division 2, but you need better footballers to compete at the next level , it showed overall today

horan will see this over the next few weeks and by the time of the connacht final that aspect (conditioning) of mayos game will have improved , it was the only thing i really saw lacking from ye today ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

yop wrote: »
    He's not county board. Strings pulled.

Hennelly useless again. Bring panic back and after how many years we revert to him taking frees
    Lack of experience hurt us but Clare never gonna lie down.

Good game for neutral but fk me know how to do it the long way

Well personally I think oshea was to blame for the goal. He let his man get a free run and jump on the keeper. He should have been protecting him. Hennelly had it caught but for that. I know people are saying take man and ball, but it was coming down on top of him with rhe man coming from the side, he cant really go flying at the man there. Oshea should be between his man and the goal.
    The free was a daft move. They should have just worked it short.
    Odonoghue should have been left on also.

Well personally I think oshea was to blame for the goal. He let his man get a free run and jump on the keeper. He should have been protecting him. Hennelly had it caught but for that. I know people are saying take man and ball, but it was coming down on top of him with rhe man coming from the side, he cant really go flying at the man there. Oshea should be between his man and the goal.
    The free was a daft move. They should have just worked it short.
    Odonoghue should have been left on also.

Valid point.

I was more so referencing the first goal.

TBF to Aidan he is giving a few inches to that O Neill lad and wasn't best positioned to get off the ground.

Totally agree re Ryan O Donoghue.Strange one.

He did surrender possession at one stage in around the Clare goal and that seemed to seal his fate.

He was excellent in the first half and was a tad less visible in the second half.

Cillian really makes that forward line tick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭BandMember

The persistence with water breaks is ludicrous
    It’s nearly 30 degrees at Wembley and the halves are 10 minutes longer and there won’t be any

The difference being that they are professional athletes in peak physical condition after a full long season with their clubs. The G.A.A. players lost their "elite status" so couldn't do a proper and full pre-season which means they are not at full fitness/peak condition. Just look at the amount of muscle injuries in the games so far, crazy high number compared to other years.

Now, can someone remind me of the definition of Horan ball again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Valid point.

I was more so referencing the first goal.

TBF to Aidan he is giving a few inches to that O Neill lad and wasn't best positioned to get off the ground.

Totally agree re Ryan O Donoghue.Strange one.

He did surrender possession at one stage in around the Clare goal and that seemed to seal his fate.

He was excellent in the first half and was a tad less visible in the second half.

Cillian really makes that forward line tick.

Well I feel oshea was at fault for both to be honest about it. It was the first ine I was referencing also. He has to get his body between his man and the keeper and keep it there.
    Like to be fair, you are giving oshea a pass based on the man he was competing against, but hennelly is smaller than oshea, yet he gets different treatment. Im no big defender of hennelly or anything like that, but oshea let him down there because he didnt do his job. It was clearly a rehearsed thing and oshea was the man we wanted to be marking him. But he just let him get a run on his goalkeeper. When james mccarthy goes goes back with a target man, how many times have you seen that player get a run and jump at cluxton? Never happens.

I agree that he turned over the ball, but name a foward that didnt in that period. Maybe he was saving him and conroy with the high workload at present

BandMember wrote: »
    The difference being that they are professional athletes in peak physical condition after a full long season with their clubs. The G.A.A. players lost their "elite status" so couldn't do a proper and full pre-season which means they are not at full fitness/peak condition. Just look at the amount of muscle injuries in the games so far, crazy high number compared to other years.

Now, can someone remind me of the definition of Horan ball again?

i think it was km79 who originally came up with this description of the style of football Mayo play under James Horan?

Hope I'm throwing Kenneth under the bus lol.

He can clarify any errors on my behalf.

Swashbuckling football on the front foot.

15 on 15 with the guiding ethos > We will score than we shall concede.Obviously with the emphasis on attacking football ( rampaging half backs ) there is a quid pro quo that our defence may be not be as secure as it would otherwise be with a more conservative/pragmatic approach.

With the quality of half backs we had under James Horan during his first management period and need for scores from same it worked to a extraordinarily high degree.

Defence will be reliant on the excellence of one on one defending.There is no hiding for defenders behind a system.

Sweepers what are they? ( Health warning some of this content is a tad tongue in cheek )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

The persistence with water breaks is ludicrous
    It’s nearly 30 degrees at Wembley and the halves are 10 minutes longer and there won’t be any

As McStay said they are no longer water breaks but tactical breaks and momentum shifters. They should have been done away with after last years championship I'd hope common sense is used and they aren't used in the upcoming championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

As McStay said they are no longer water breaks but tactical breaks and momentum shifters. They should have been done away with after last years championship I'd hope common sense is used and they aren't used in the upcoming championship.

Cos they can't bring on water bottles throughout stoppages of play , cos if covid, each player gets personal water bottle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement