Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Hard to believe that Peter Naughton can't get a game for sligo. I'd have thought he'd be considered as good / better than Darren McHale from a knockmore point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

MacDanger wrote: »
    Hard to believe that Peter Naughton can't get a game for sligo. I'd have thought he'd be considered as good / better than Darren McHale from a knockmore point of view

Can't work that one out.:confused:

One of the best young forwards in recent years ( in the Mayo club championship ) can't get any game time on a Sligo team that finished bottom of division 4.

No offence meant to the Yeats county.

I'd have him at the least the equal of Darren McHale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Full back line looked dodgy at times yesterday. One of best thing about game yesterday was no 50 so hennelly wasn't allowed come halfway up the field:rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

seligehgit wrote: »
    Can't work that one out.:confused:

One of the best young forwards in recent years ( in the Mayo club championship ) can't get any game time on a Sligo team that finished bottom of division 4.

No offence meant to the Yeats county.

I'd have him at the least the equal of Darren McHale.

Some players shine at club but can’t cut it at county. There have been a few examples over the years.
    And no offence intended to Sligo either but if he couldn’t get game time yesterday then he wasn’t going to get any game time for Mayo this year either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,014 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Green&Red wrote: »
    Both are Kilgallon, autocorrect I’d imagine

Eamonn Kilgannon according to the Sligo GAA site here

http://www.sligogaa.ie/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleid=39877&returnurl=Articles.aspx?mn=&LastPage=0

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

A no win that game on Saturday. Sligos physicality was so far off Mayo it was strange. Why is that I wonder?

McHale showed well there Saturday as did the other 9 scorers. AOS just destroys teams like this. He was out on his feet at the end though.

Very good Mayo news podcast with McStay and Carney. Both predicted Sligo to score 11 points which is interesting. They are very interesting to listen to. I really would have liked to have seen McStay get a shot at the Mayo job but that has probably sailed.

Very disappointing news if same comes to pass.

Proposed Mayo GAA Centre of Excellence is placed in doubt after Covid hit.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2021/06/23/proposed-mayo-gaa-centre-of-excellence-is-placed-in-doubt-after-covid-hit/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

It's panning pout exactly as expected as will most lopsided games in the cship

Bit of serious irony in the ad extolling the virtues of the Hurling Championship on RTE at the mo....at one stage Limerick player Kyle Hayes say...‘it’s so interesting ,no teams can be taken for granted’.....or words to that effect.

He obviously wasn’t watching the cricket scores put up against the weaker counties in Hurling last year and last weekend.

Mayo were always going to cruise past a young unproven Sligo team......it was over as a contest after 10 mins!

Poor choice of game to have on TV.

Will be a similar story against Leitrim who are missing Ryan O’ Rourke.....their main scoring forward through injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Anyone know whats the story with tickets for the Connacht final (IF we get there of course!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Poor choice of game to have on TV.

Yet probably still the most likely of last weekends fixtures to draw an audience, given the support that Mayo have.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Anyone know whats the story with tickets for the Connacht final (IF we get there of course!)

Its a first come "who you know" basis. The Clare game and last weekends game had people who don't have squad involvement or on boards. At least when its on TV they should try and keep out of the way of the camera :rolleyes:

So I'd say you've 2 chances in hell of getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Frankie Dolan :D

The irony of all his comments must surely be lost on him !
    They are a quare breed .
    They think they are our rivals for some bizarre reason .
    They aren’t . Connacht is about Mayo Vs Galway . With the occasional interloper .
    Leitrim and Sligo are their rivals . The sooner they accept that the sooner they can live happier lives :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

km79 wrote: »
    Frankie Dolan :D

The irony of all his comments must surely be lost on him !
    They are a quare breed .
    They think they are our rivals for some bizarre reason .
    They aren’t . Connacht is about Mayo Vs Galway . With the occasional interloper .
    Leitrim and Sligo are their rivals . The sooner they accept that the sooner they can live happier lives :)

He went to town on Maughan. As if Maughan started talking about what Mayo were going to do in a beaten Roscommon dressing room. It’s some imagination Frankie has. Letting on that Maughan dropped him cause he wasn’t good enough, he was dropped cause they were an uncontrollable bunch of ***** and Maughan wanted some discipline

The comments on switching to Westmeath were interesting, loyalty mustn’t be in his vocabulary

He's a bit of character.

I enjoyed the podcast last night.

Eoin Sheehan drew him out in a not too subtle fashion.

Looking in from the outside it appeared as though John Maughan a well known disciplinarian wanted a clean sweep.

There was always likely to be a backlash to such a comprehensive clear out.

So although I can understand that Frankie would take umbrage from a personal viewpoint he might be tad disingenuous re Maughan's motives.

seligehgit wrote: »
    He's a bit of character.

I enjoyed the podcast last night.

Eoin Sheehan drew him out in a not too subtle fashion.

Looking in from the outside it appeared as though John Maughan a well known disciplinarian wanted a clean sweep.

There was always likely to be a backlash to such a comprehensive clear out.

So although I can understand that Frankie would take umbrage from a personal viewpoint he might be tad disingenuous re Maughan's motives.

Maughan for anyone who has worked/trained under is military style with a wink and a smile but a bloody determination and will to win where'd he'd kill you and your granny.
    Some lads can't handle that and Frankie was always a soft touch on the pitch spending most of his time whinging and moaning to a ref and Maughan didn't tolerate him.
    In some ways he's akin to our own Conoreen, but not as good a footballer.

He has embarrassed himself with that and caused chuckles across GAA circles not just in Mayo where Maughan has played but also in Clare where is well respected but also in Roscommon where Dolan was a wannabe spice boy and Offaly where he has worked wonders so far.

I've a lot of Roscommon buddies who really don't carry the hate that this lad and a handful of Roscommon "fans" have. Its lads like the barber (can't think of his name) who love and breath Rossie football and Cake Curran or Dermot Early who are a proper reflection of Roscommon fans and former players.

Big game this weekend, I can't see Galway not winning this.

Rumors that Lee Keegan left last nights challenge game with his arm in a sling due to a shoulder injury ........

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Rumors that Lee Keegan left last nights challenge game with his arm in a sling due to a shoulder injury ........

Hopefully not true...Thats all we need.

“What do you think of that Frankie Dolan “

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Hes one sickner that lad

• Advertisement

Who did mayo play last night.?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

eastmayo wrote: »
    Who did mayo play last night.?

Played Cavan in Longford on Friday night I think. Didn't hear how it went.

Any update?

Any news on Diarmuid?

Out of the loop this week...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Hearing there might be 3,000 allowed on Sunday as 'test event'? Anyone else hear this?

Hearing there might be 3,000 allowed on Sunday as 'test event'? Anyone else hear this?

No thus far.

I did hear the connacht council are havein a meeting today about 3500 been let in Sunday maybe some news later.Any update on Lee?

eastmayo wrote: »
    I did hear the connacht council are havein a meeting today about 3500 been let in Sunday maybe some news later.Any update on Lee?

Is there any truth to this rumour at all?

I've heard diddly squat re same in the interim,hardly credible that such a setback would not leak out in a meaningful fashion nor make it's way into the public domain.

Admittedly I'm a tad out of the loop this week.

Well let's hope its just a rumour.Time will tell I sopose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭MfMan

How's about Mayo ceding home advantage for the final, (no real advantage anyway as most of youse live in Galway), and moving the game to Croker and allow 8K to attend?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement