Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

This is the problem to a degree. We have loads of good players of equal ability and that's why we see guys in and out with Horan, but we are not getting players to make the next step up to replace the likes of O'Connor. Mullen is the only new guy you could say without question that he is a level above the rest.
    Alot of the newer guys over the last year or so are to a degree interchangeable and that is a real problem. I know it takes some time, but Carr, ROD, Conroy, Moran, etc are all playing at the same level.

I think ROD and Conroy are a fair bit ahead of Carr and Moran TBH. Carr shows flashes of brilliance but I think he needs to up his game a bit. Don't think Mark Moran has featured so far in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Blackjack wrote: »
    I think ROD and Conroy are a fair bit ahead of Carr and Moran TBH. Carr shows flashes of brilliance but I think he needs to up his game a bit. Don't think Mark Moran has featured so far in 2021.

Is he not injured

naughto wrote: »
    Is he not injured

Mark Moran?. Probably, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Unfortunately, no one in the squad comes remotely close to stepping into Cillians shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Does anybody actually know how long an Achilles’ tendon injury takes to recover from?

Major blow for Ballintubber if he’s out for the county championship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Green&Red wrote: »
    Does anybody actually know how long an Achilles’ tendon injury takes to recover from?

Depending on severity 4-12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I would worry a little around the physical presence of ROD. Conroy needs to push on a level imo. He is not at Mullens level. He can be really good but sometimes gets lost in the game. I was expecting a bigger score off him from Clare tbh

Moran came in last year and was excellent and then goes awol. Ciaran Treacy from a few years ago, Carr in and out, Fionn McDonagh is another guy as well.
    Lots of talent at around the same level in my eyes, drop Fergal Boland in as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I would worry a little around the physical presence of ROD. Conroy needs to push on a level imo. He is not at Mullens level. He can be really good but sometimes gets lost in the game. I was expecting a bigger score off him from Clare tbh

Moran came in last year and was excellent and then goes awol. Ciaran Treacy from a few years ago, Carr in and out, Fionn McDonagh is another guy as well.
    Lots of talent at around the same level in my eyes, drop Fergal Boland in as well.

I get where you're coming from but I rate Ryan O Donoghue really highly.

A very intelligent footballer and has demonstrated a confidence to take a mark from distance.

IMO Tommy Conroy has ample time on his side to develop into the footballer I believe he will.

There's not too many Oisin Mullins (s) around the place!

It sure as hell is going to be an interesting summer.

These players can still win a Connacht title.It will be a big ask but it could be the making of them.

I hope I'm not talking out of my posterior.:D

Trying to lift the veil of gloom enveloping the county today.:)

Anybody else hear Diarmuid will be out for 6 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

seligehgit wrote: »
    I get where you're coming from but I rate Ryan O Donoghue really highly.

A very intelligent footballer and has demonstrated a confidence to take a mark from distance.

IMO Tommy Conroy has ample time on his side to develop into the footballer I believe he will.

There's not too many Oisin Mullins (s) around the place!

It sure as hell is going to be an interesting summer.

These players can still win a Connacht title.It will be a big ask but it could be the making of them.

I hope I'm not talking out of my posterior.:D

Trying to lift the veil of gloom enveloping the county today.:)

Anybody else hear Diarmuid will be out for 6 weeks?

I though you were trying to lift the gloom :D
    That would leave him doubtful for connacht final !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I know someone who did it last year.

Surgeon thought it was a partial tear based on feeling, but it was a full tear when they went into surgery.

Surgery, 2 months in a boot and some physio for a few weeks.

It depends on how bad the tear was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Surgeon thought it was a partial tear based on feeling, but it was a full tear when they went into surgery.

I would have thought it'd be longer than that. Were they able to return to playing sport after a few weeks physio?

Sadly even with that timeline he won't be playing for Mayo again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    I would have thought it'd be longer than that. Were they able to return to playing sport after a few weeks physio?

Sadly even with that timeline he won't be playing for Mayo again this year.

It happened in August. He only plays soccer but didn't return til this year anyway. Not to any high level now. Walking and then slowly start jogging. He felt he was over compensating on the other side then after the boot came off because you lose some muscle mass and strength from not being able to use that leg at all for 2 months.

Its a rough injury. It can just snap when you go to sprint from a standing start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Will comer still be out when (if)we meet them in the final
    I fully expect galway to beat the rossies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

naughto wrote:
    Will comer still be out when (if)we meet them in the final I fully expect galway to beat the rossies

Be suprised if he starts. But unlike what happened last year if he is brought off the bench he shouldn't be spent fitness wise after five minutes as his hand injury isn't affecting his fitness training only his ball work.

Be a stretch for him to make it. Ligament away from bone is a hard injury to rush back from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

It's not possible for somebody to have a full tear (i don't know if this is Cillians exact situation,but I understand it's bad) Achilles to be back playing intercounty in that time frame,I wish it was but it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

naughto wrote: »
    Will comer still be out when (if)we meet them in the final
    I fully expect galway to beat the rossies

Touch and go for the Roscommon game but expected to be fit by Connacht final time.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

I partially tore my Achilles in April 2020 and it's still not fully healed, after a few days running it plays up again and I'm banjaxed for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Id imagine he will be out for the season, which is hard on him obviously. However, we are in transition, and this could be a chance for some lads to find their feet up front. The likes of a carr to lead the inside line, rod to become a central figure, towey to show his accuracy. It is undoubtedly bad news, but it is also an opportunity for the team to come out the far side a stronger unit.

Touch and go for the Roscommon game but expected to be fit by Connacht final time.

Comer has tapered off imo. He is not the player he was about 2/3 years ago. Now he still has the potential and I did think he was going to be something really special for Galway but with injuries etc I think he is not the same guy. I think he has lost his aggression on the field which was a real admirable thing to see.

Id imagine he will be out for the season, which is hard on him obviously. However, we are in transition, and this could be a chance for some lads to find their feet up front. The likes of a carr to lead the inside line, rod to become a central figure, towey to show his accuracy. It is undoubtedly bad news, but it is also an opportunity for the team to come out the far side a stronger unit.

This is it now. We will see what everyone is made of. COC gave breathing space for the rest especially with free kicks. We are still good enough to win connaught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭muddle84

Comer has tapered off imo. He is not the player he was about 2/3 years ago. Now he still has the potential and I did think he was going to be something really special for Galway but with injuries etc I think he is not the same guy. I think he has lost his aggression on the field which was a real admirable thing to see.

I think he tried to come back to early from injury and he always seems to be injured now?

I remember that Galway vs Kerry quarter final and he looked like the only player that believed they could win that day and he was immense but couldn't do it on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

muddle84 wrote:
    I think he tried to come back to early from injury and he always seems to be injured now?

Basically three years injured since he hurt his ankle. Two years ago in Limerick was brought against Mayo and was out of gas very quick. Had a good start to the league last year which actually coinciding with Galways best run of form (looking back at now it's hard to know how true a picture that form was) was brought on early in the league after lockdown against Mayo when ye hammered us out the gate and injured his hamstring not long after coming on. Was brought on late against ye again in championship last year and was out of gas by the time he had ran onto the field and took his position.

From limited ball I thought he showed well against Dublin this year. Pace and power seems to be present it's just getting him on the pitch at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Totally agree fabulous baller with a controlled aggression but the injuries do appear to have taken a toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭muddle84

Basically three years injured since he hurt his ankle. Two years ago in Limerick was brought against Mayo and was out of gas very quick. Had a good start to the league last year which actually coinciding with Galways best run of form (looking back at now it's hard to know how true a picture that form was) was brought on early in the league after lockdown against Mayo when ye hammered us out the gate and injured his hamstring not long after coming on. Was brought on late against ye again in championship last year and was out of gas by the time he had ran onto the field and took his position.

From limited ball I thought he showed well against Dublin this year. Pace and power seems to be present it's just getting him on the pitch at this stage.

When he is gassing that quickly i think he was back too early! Don't get me wrong he is a huge asset to that Galway team and is badly missed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Seems like the strategy of playing Aido at 14 had run it's course based on league selections. I wonder if CoC's injury might see a change to that - though DoC's injury leaves them a bit short in midfield too.

I'd love to see someone like James Carr really step up and make it his own, but can't see it somehow.

Seems like the strategy of playing Aido at 14 had run it's course based on league selections. I wonder if CoC's injury might see a change to that - thought DoC's injury leaves them a bit short in midfield too.

I'd love to see someone like James Carr really step up and make it his own, but can't see it somehow.

Not a fan of Aido at 14 as he just gets fouled out of the game there. Prefer him at midfield in a defensive role. He was excellent there all during 2019 along side Matty Ruane.
    Would be great if Jason Doc was ready as I think he'd be ideal at 14 in place of Cillian. I think Carr does need to step up - he's certainly got talent but he's got a tendency to take pot shots from distance rather than work the ball in.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Not a fan of Aido at 14 as he just gets fouled out of the game there. Prefer him at midfield in a defensive role. He was excellent there all during 2019 along side Matty Ruane.
    Would be great if Jason Doc was ready as I think he'd be ideal at 14 in place of Cillian. I think Carr does need to step up - he's certainly got talent but he's got a tendency to take pot shots from distance rather than work the ball in.

He cleans too much up in midfield and is a top tackler so wasted at 14, but he can go between both. But if DOC is out then he has to come in.

I think Jason Doc can go inside right and play a similar role to COC , it wouldn't require the same fitness as the 10-12 line would and he is an accurate forward.

As said above there are a lot of players now who have a massive opportunity to get a spot for the year.
    The list of players who have come and "gone" in the last 2-3 years is long but none you'd pull in immediately to cover, I won't use the word replace, COC or into that 1/2 forward line or full forward line.

Towey, Boland, McDonagh, Morans * 2. Oisin McLaughlin, Carr, Cian Hanley, Mickey Murray, Coen, Brian Reape, Tracey, James Durcan, Conor Loftus, Conor O'Shea, Adam Gallagher.

We had a few more like Neil Douglas and Danny Kirby who were in, I am missing more I am sure but thats 16-18 players tried and I'd struggle to pull 1-3 who push in for this years championship.
    There are a good chunk who have had big games or a couple of games but then just disappear or fade out.

Seems like the strategy of playing Aido at 14 had run it's course based on league selections. I wonder if CoC's injury might see a change to that - though DoC's injury leaves them a bit short in midfield too.

Well the likes of carr always had to play second fiddle to coc inside. Being more of a central figure could bring performances out of guys. Not unlike when mortimer walked and coc became the figurehead of the attack - it undoubtedly helped develop him as a player.
    I think the advanced mark could be part of the reason why aos will feature inside at times. They need to start finding him with decent ball when he does though.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Well the likes of carr always had to play second fiddle to coc inside. Being more of a central figure could bring performances out of guys. Not unlike when mortimer walked and coc became the figurehead of the attack - it undoubtedly helped develop him as a player.
    I think the advanced mark could be part of the reason why aos will feature inside at times. They need to start finding him with decent ball when he does though.

With Diarmuid out for a while I think it makes sense to put AOS in midfield beside Ruane. That's where he played his best stuff against Clare. I don't think AOS works inside. He's not a reliable enough scorer. Ryan O'Donoghue seems to really have the hang of the advanced mark, simply because he makes clever runs out to the wing and catches the ball into his chest. Aido won't be able to do that.

So maybe a full forward line of Tommy, James Carr and Ryan. We could play Loftus at 11 then as he's probably the best free taking option?

• Advertisement

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    With Diarmuid out for a while I think it makes sense to put AOS in midfield beside Ruane. That's where he played his best stuff against Clare. I don't think AOS works inside. He's not a reliable enough scorer. Ryan O'Donoghue seems to really have the hang of the advanced mark, simply because he makes clever runs out to the wing and catches the ball into his chest. Aido won't be able to do that.

So maybe a full forward line of Tommy, James Carr and Ryan. We could play Loftus at 11 then as he's probably the best free taking option?

Is oshea fully fit though? Dont forget he is only back himself. I think he was left on for the full game against clare because of that big mf they had. I wouldnt be surprised if loftus come back in at mf, or maybe Jordan flynn.
    I get what you say re oshea, but with the advanced mark, if he got into a one on one position in there and caught a couple of diagonal balls, he can just tap them over from a placed kick. I can see him at 11 and rotating inside.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement