Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub3k) of the week/day Part 7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Rusty rear arch.

Do you see it on pics? I can't. But looking at them on the phone.

Edit: yeah I'm f.. blind, just spot it. Any idea how bad it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭dobman88

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Do you see it on pics? I can't. But looking at them on the phone.

I'm also looking on a phone and can see it. Picture 6, zoom in towards the wheel and its plainly obvious.

Also, in the ad he says it will be a classic in 3 and a half years. Not sure why he would bother mentioning it.

Tbh, I just don't like the ad, cant quite put my finger on why, but I wouldn't even bother with it because I dont like it.

dobman88 wrote: »
    I'm also looking on a phone and can see it. Picture 6, zoom in towards the wheel and its plainly obvious.

Also, in the ad he says it will be a classic in 3 and a half years. Not sure why he would bother mentioning it.

Tbh, I just don't like the ad, cant quite put my finger on why, but I wouldn't even bother with it because I dont like it.

Just edited my post. Didn't know where to look at:D

Yeah I know, just posted it to see what others think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

Cheap(er) insurance as it's 20 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yeah, I understand that. If it was 20 this year, I'd see the relevance. Just don't get why you'd mention it when its 3 years away from being valid.

Trying too hard to sell it which makes me think that there are issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

It will get more difficult with time to insurance this as a primary car.
    So worse insurance options with age.

It's only cheaper if used as a second car so you would need full insurance on a another car to avail of classic insurance.

Yeah, I understand that. If it was 20 this year, I'd see the relevance. Just don't get why you'd mention it when its 3 years away from being valid.

Trying too hard to sell it which makes me think that there are issues.

That's what I was thinking too. And mentioning covid boot opening. Anyway if it wasn't so far away from me I would go and have a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's no Chevy Cruze or SsangYong Rexton for sure. ;)

I would have the Chevrolet Cruze over a Mondeo MK3 anyday.
    I'd agree that them Mondeo's were far from the worst cars on the road at the time. No doubt there was better than them but they were far from the worst. If you want to look at the same class alone, the P12 Primera, Laguna II or Vectra C wouldn't have being a patch on it.

Your right the Laguna II made the MK III mondeo look old. The Laguna II not only looked better but was technacly far more advanced than that Mondeo as well and a much nicer place to be inside than the Mondeo. Yes ok the Laguna II could have done with been built better but there is still a few around
    I think half of ye Mondeo Lovers in here must be farmers because that Mondeo really was a farm car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

AMKC wrote: »

Your right the Laguna II made the MK III mondeo look old. The Laguna II not only looked better but was technacly far more advanced than that Mondeo as well and a much nicer place to be inside than the Mondeo. Yes ok the Laguna II could have done with been built better but there is still a few around
    I think half of ye Mondeo Lovers in here must be farmers because that Mondeo really was a farm car.

The Mondeo 3 brought back the people who had owned Sierras and mk5 Cortinas, square design, decent ground clearance, bumpers that could take a bump without cracking like an egg,

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

The Mondeo 3 brought back the people who had owned Sierras and mk5 Cortinas, square design, decent ground clearance, bumpers that could take a bump without cracking like an egg,

I don't know about that but i owned a 02 1.8 petrol one for a while, i bought it off its first owner a mechanic that worked at abernathys. It had 92,000 miles. Was just after getting new piston rings according to the service history. The swirl flaps were removed by the previous owner because of a known fault.

it was nice to drive surprisingly economical but my god it continually fell apart, sticky brake calipers, bushings, fuel pump, alarm + immobiliser issues. List goes on but when the timing chain started to rattle that was it got rid.

The diesel version much better performance wise but id struggle to buy one even as a stop gap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ah would you stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Anyone see a decent Laguna between 08 and 11 for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭CoBo55

bazz26 wrote: »
    Ah would you stop.

He'd give an Aspro a headache:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Át the time, both Honest John (the non farmer) and Parkers (urban cousins of Parker's the farmers) both recommended it as best buy in its class.
    You're really really far off the mark here. In petrol, that Mondeo was practically a perfect car.

https://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/reviews/ford/mondeo-mk-3-and-st220/

https://www.parkers.co.uk/ford/mondeo/hatchback-2000/used-review/

It's important to stick to facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

That Mondeo was fine.

It aged badly and is not interesting anymore, but back in the day it was good car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you’ve never driven a Chevy Cruze

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Suspension on the Mondeo was brilliant, the 2.0 petrol was a quick car even without a turbo, the diesel was very heavy on the front but still a very good handling car, I have a 2005 one sitting up, new starter fitted, then fuel pump went, still starts etc....

Ms

Anyone see a decent Laguna between 08 and 11 for sale?

There is at least three of them where I live none for sale do.
    CoBo55 wrote: »
    He'd give an Aspro a headache:mad:
    Lol that made me laugh. Just saying it like it is.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I don't know about that but i owned a 02 1.8 petrol one for a while, i bought it off its first owner a mechanic that worked at abernathys. It had 92,000 miles. Was just after getting new piston rings according to the service history. The swirl flaps were removed by the previous owner because of a known fault.

it was nice to drive surprisingly economical but my god it continually fell apart, sticky brake calipers, bushings, fuel pump, alarm + immobiliser issues. List goes on but when the timing chain started to rattle that was it got rid.

The diesel version much better performance wise but id struggle to buy one even as a stop gap!

I'd a 2.0 petrol one , bought it for €450, ran it for 3years, had to replace Alternator and water pump, front discs warped every 6months but we're cheap to replace, replaced it with a Tucson that cost ten times as much and gave bother daily

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭KevRossi

06 E200T Auto, 10/21, €1,990.

Looks a bit abused, are the panel gaps on the rear tail a bit too big? Skanger-ish looks will suit some.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-e200/28171236

YzcwM2I4M2M3MmIxMTQ1N2I1MWIxOWY2OGZlOTZmMDX_fnFb-I03tBz5eQZ84jbNaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xODA4MTgyMTB8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭rn

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Despite what I've read about them reliability wise, I cant help like this 407 priced at €975

New NCT until 5/22
    More reliable 2.0hdi
    Cheap tax at €400
    Heated leather, cruise. Think these high spec UK ones came with sat nav and xenons too.

Boot looks like its had a knock? Anyway, a nice yoke to cruise along at 120km/h

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-407/27985976?campaign=14

553061.jpeg

I drove two different 2litre 407s, lovely to drive and fairly rapid but as reliable as an Insignia.Engine died on one and the other had emissions issues and couldn't pass the NCT. Its a pity they weren't a bit more reliable as they're a lovely car

I never took to the 508s, quite ugly compared to the 407

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

siblers wrote: »
    I drove two different 2litre 407s, lovely to drive and fairly rapid but as reliable as an Insignia.Engine died on one and the other had emissions issues and couldn't pass the NCT. Its a pity they weren't a bit more reliable as they're a lovely car

I never took to the 508s, quite ugly compared to the 407

Are the 508s reliable though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

They are as long as you don't drive them

Ms

Yes very.
    They are as long as you don't drive them

Bulls-hit. They are a very reliable well built car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭KevRossi

A pair of big Volvo estates. Both diesel. Both have Auto. Both have 12 months NCT, done in the past couple of weeks. Both are poor ads.

2.0D. 2006. A few too many scratches on the corners? 230tKm. €1,650.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v70/28125022

MjBmMWNiMDgzMDM5NGM0YTFlZmFjMWUyNDZkNmU0YjAQU5xIQZRGjpqBmutUnqrYaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xODAzNzYwNTR8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

2.4D, heavier on tax, 2006, 250tKM, Not small, just far away.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v70-d5-2-4l-diesel/27715971

OGE3NTA5ZjhjNzEyOGQ2YjFiOTcwMGNkNmVhNzAzOTIzF7RWi2NPL_Y4D5u63GltaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzYxNDUxOTd8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Yes very.

Bulls-hit. They are a very reliable well built car.

You're a very angry person eh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

KevRossi wrote: »
    A pair of big Volvo estates. Both diesel. , just far away.

Ones petrol.

The blue one would be the pick of them, if you dont mind the tax. Just make sure it wasnt towing a horse box, Volvo autos are work shy. More of an issue on later XC models, but worth a check all the same. Otherwise a fantastic car for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'm sure that blue one is up for sale almost every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Ones petrol.

The blue one would be the pick of them, if you dont mind the tax. Just make sure it wasnt towing a horse box, Volvo autos are work shy. More of an issue on later XC models, but worth a check all the same. Otherwise a fantastic car for the money.

Work shy:D I like it:D

Advertisement