Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub3k) of the week/day Part 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

CoBo55 wrote: »
    You forgot, is the fan belt slipping? I never saw one of them yet that the belt wasn’t squealing like a stabbed pig.

As I said had one, kept it for 2.5 years and never had any fan belt issue. 2 friends had ones as well again no fan belt slipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Had 95 diesel Vento which had c/l. I'm know a friend had a Jan 94 one which hadn't. Mine also had an electric sunroof. Really liked it wasn't particularly fast. Sold privately and afaik its still going.

I bought a new light blue one in 1992. Wrote it off in 1994 and replaced it with another new one, black.

I kept that one until 1998.

In 2010 a Polish tiler arrived to tile my kitchen and I couldn't believe that he was driving my old 1994 black Vento!

It had 350k miles on it and he had been back to Poland in it a couple of times. Haven't seen it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mankteln

Out of interest, what kind of mileage do those of you who partake in bangernomics limit your purchases to?
    I absolutely love the civic that was posted few pages back and I doubt it'd be a problem for that particular car if it had good verifiable service history (which for some reason can sometimes seem like hen's teeth in Ireland, was shocked when looking at 10-13k used cars a while ago that lots of people in Ireland don't seem to bother servicing their cars, or at least at at the recommended intervals, or recording it if they have been. Seems to mental to me that people drop 30k+ on a new car and then skimp on the upkeep! Is it something unique to our Irish mentality? Whenever I've looked at NI or UK cars the service history is usually much better, and they normally do much lower mileage than us here).
    When I'm buying a bangernomics in the past I usually limit the mileage to 170-180k km, I'm purely basing it on that by that stage there should have been bulk of consumable repairs addressed already (timing belt etc) and I hopefully get a decent bit out of it before other more costly repairs start that might make the car less economically viable. Obviously some cars and well looked after examples go for much much longer but I've found that once the mileage is up around 240k km/150k miles repair bills can start stacking up again and sometimes their worth doing and sometimes not (but if bought at 170k km then the car has payed for itself by that stage and it can be looked at objectively). Just wondering what everyone else thinks? Is it too restrictive to limit by mileage and is all that matters the condition of the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

mankteln wrote: »
    Out of interest, what kind of mileage do those of you who partake in bangernomics limit your purchases to?
    I absolutely love the civic that was posted few pages back and I doubt it'd be a problem for that particular car if it had good verifiable service history (which for some reason can sometimes seem like hen's teeth in Ireland, was shocked when looking at 10-13k used cars a while ago that lots of people in Ireland don't seem to bother servicing their cars, or at least at at the recommended intervals, or recording it if they have been. Seems to mental to me that people drop 30k+ on a new car and then skimp on the upkeep! Is it something unique to our Irish mentality? Whenever I've looked at NI or UK cars the service history is usually much better, and they normally do much lower mileage than us here).
    When I'm buying a bangernomics in the past I usually limit the mileage to 170-180k km, I'm purely basing it on that by that stage there should have been bulk of consumable repairs addressed already (timing belt etc) and I hopefully get a decent bit out of it before other more costly repairs start that might make the car less economically viable. Obviously some cars and well looked after examples go for much much longer but I've found that once the mileage is up around 240k km/150k miles repair bills can start stacking up again and sometimes their worth doing and sometimes not (but if bought at 170k km then the car has payed for itself by that stage and it can be looked at objectively). Just wondering what everyone else thinks? Is it too restrictive to limit by mileage and is all that matters the condition of the car?

I've a Volvo with 315,000 km on it, does about 400km a week now, would think nothing of driving it anywhere, used to do 600km a week in a €300 Daewoo around 8 years ago,

I've a Volvo with 315,000 km on it, does about 400km a week now, would think nothing of driving it anywhere, used to do 600km a week in a €300 Daewoo around 8 years ago,

How long did the Daewoo last out of interest? About 5 years ago I was doing about 800km a week in a Daewoo kalos I bought for €325, it lasted about 8 months and I still got a return of €100 scrap at the end of it, proper bangernomics lol! Again I think it had about 200k km on it when it gave up the ghost.
    Not sure I could do it to myself now, wasn't the most comfortable place to do that much mileage in but at the time it was what I needed and ended up great value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

How long did the Daewoo last out of interest? About 5 years ago I was doing about 800km a week in a Daewoo kalos I bought for €325, it lasted about 8 months and I still got a return of €100 scrap at the end of it, proper bangernomics lol! Again I think it had about 200k km on it when it gave up the ghost.
    Not sure I could do it to myself now, wasn't the most comfortable place to do that much mileage in but at the time it was what I needed and ended up great value.

Got nearly 2 years out of it, wouldn't test again, needed a car at the time and funds weren't good but it done the job, got work closer to home and I replaced it with a much newer car with low miles that gave me nothing but trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How much were you spending on fuel

How much were you spending on fuel
    Not a crazy amount from what I remember, was a 1.4 engine in a light car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I bought a new light blue one in 1992. Wrote it off in 1994 and replaced it with another new one, black.

I kept that one until 1998.

In 2010 a Polish tiler arrived to tile my kitchen and I couldn't believe that he was driving my old 1994 black Vento!

It had 350k miles on it and he had been back to Poland in it a couple of times. Haven't seen it since.

Still doing the job out in Bydgozcz more than likely. 600k be a piece of piss to them yokes, tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,569 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Here is a beauty. Great cars. They were well made with a classy dash and very safe too. Very spacious for it's time too. Now a classic,

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/renault-megane-2022-nct-characterful-2000s-car/27716310

NCT till 22 which is great and the nice peppy little 1.4 petrol engine.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

The only thing going for that Megane is the sellers imagination

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭sharpish

The only thing going for that Megane is the sellers imagination

Suspect it is a proud french man selling that car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

AMKC wrote: »
    Here is a beauty. Great cars. They were well made with a classy dash and very safe too. Very spacious for it's time too. Now a classic,

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/renault-megane-2022-nct-characterful-2000s-car/27716310

NCT till 22 which is great and the nice peppy little 1.4 petrol engine.

That'll be up for 1.5k next week.

Looks lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Looks lovely.

The guy selling it now had it up for €1500 originally, months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Am I looking at the right car?

Ms

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Am I looking at the right car?

If it's a silver 5 door MK1 Megane then yes you are.
    It is a beauty ain't it?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Jesus I hate ads like that. What a load of old waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

If it's a silver 5 door MK1 Megane then yes you are.
    It is a beauty ain't it?

Boy Have I got the car for you, with a little negotiation in person it might even make it into Bangernomics territory

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/renault-megane-convertible/28007282

Ms

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Boy Have I got the car for you, with a little negotiation in person it might even make it into Bangernomics territory

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/renault-megane-convertible/28007282

Not bad but also not very practical with only 2 seats. Also I do not like that there is no decent pictures of the dash, the doors inside or the seats.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Not bad but also not very practical with only 2 seats. Also I do not like that there is no decent pictures of the dash, the doors inside or the seats.

Remove roadbox and it's a 4 seater! If someone is interested enough to ring I can literally walk out my front door and send those images to them. It's all perfect.

• Advertisement

Looks lovely.

Kill it with fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The only good thing about that Mégane posted is that is has Aircon.
    Which it being over 20 years old and French means it probably has more holes in it than swiss cheese :D

bear1 wrote: »
    Which it being over 20 years old and French means it probably has more holes in it than swiss cheese :D

To be fair to them, if someone can insure it they are easy as hell to work on, parts and service items are cheap as chips and at sub 1k you could probably afford to throw it away. That convertible above (with working aircon :p) gives 42mpg all day long with zero effort. They were a huge step above the Megane that followed in terms of reliability and build quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

My first car choice was between an ex smokers 5 door silver megane 1.4 the same as that one and a silver 1.3 lancer glx. The lancer was cleaner, had a pioneer head unit and a sunroof. Bought the lancer and it was a great car for 8 years.

Ms

bear1 wrote: »

Bull. Shows how little you really know about the MK 1 Megane. They were a great car for there time, well built, classy and better than every other car in its class untill the Ford Focus came out.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

They are far from classy. They were cheap and well equipped but had zero desirability back in the day.
    They have a few plus points but were way behind the likes of a Golf or Focus back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

rn wrote: »
    My first car choice was between an ex smokers 5 door silver megane 1.4 the same as that one and a silver 1.3 lancer glx. The lancer was cleaner, had a pioneer head unit and a sunroof. Bought the lancer and it was a great car for 8 years.

I had a 1.3 lancer too, great car until the exhaust manifold eventually went on it

Ms

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They are far from classy. They were cheap and well equipped but had zero desirability back in the day.
    They have a few plus points but were way behind the likes of a Golf or Focus back then.

Even Autocar back in the day said they were classy with a classy dash. A golf was ancient back then and MK iiii was just a big heavy fat blob. The Megane handled much better than the Golf. Even the MK 1 Skoda Octavia handled better than the MK IIII Golf. The only thing the Golf had over other cars was its supposed classiness if you think a big dull black dash is classy. I found not about the way it looked or felt classy. It was a dull forgettable blob.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Most of those magazines based their reviews on how good of a spread the journos got treated to at the launch.

• Advertisement

Even Autocar back in the day said they were classy with a classy dash. A golf was ancient back then and MK iiii was just a big heavy fat blob. The Megane handled much better than the Golf. Even the MK 1 Skoda Octavia handled better than the MK IIII Golf. The only thing the Golf had over other cars was its supposed classiness if you think a big dull black dash is classy. I found not about the way it looked or felt classy. It was a dull forgettable blob.

In 2000 the Megane was out 4 years and the Mk4 Golf 2 years.
    The Golf interior was a major step forward for that class and was of a higher quality than many more expensive cars.

I know that you have a thing about VW but any argument that a Megane had a better interior is absurd.

Advertisement