Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub3k) of the week/day Part 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

AMKC wrote: »
    Your wrong there. The 207 was very reliable. The brother had one up untill recently, it never gave on once of trouble and the only reason he changed is because he needed a bigger car and more room.

Former Peugeot salesman is wrong, but you’re right because a family member had one

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

dobman88 wrote: »
    That looks a fantastic example.

One bug bear of mine though. He has the mileage wrong. He says in the ad 152k km. Dash reads 250k km which translates to about 155k miles. So could be just a mix up but something to question him on if someone goes to look at it.

It does seem to be a thing on DD of late re mileage alright. Wouldn't bother me so much with a petrol Honda like that. Current owner of that is only the 3rd since new.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Former Peugeot salesman is wrong, but you’re right because a family member had one

Lol

Hundreds coming back yearly for work hasn't a patch on the single one he didn't own :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

:) yours looks in better nick body wise from what I've seen tbf . Bought in September last year and, despite working from home and not really needing a car, I've put the guts of 10k miles on it. Enjoyable oul yoke, even in 140 form. be interested to hear your own thoughts

You havn't seen it up close so :pac:, it's tatty but i absolutely dont care. I've pretty much been dailying it the last 2 months, really enjoying it, the 140 is totally acceptable in it. Throw up a pic at some stage, would love to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭User1998

Mid 00's Peugeots were piles of dung. The 107 was ok, 206 was woeful, 207 was better. 407 wasn't a patch on the 406, 607 was pointless and the 807 was a barge that couldn't compete with the Galaxy on ability or price. None of them were reliable.

And I was a Peugeot salesman between 2006 and 2009

https://youtu.be/JQugEZOrZSc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

It does seem to be a thing on DD of late re mileage alright. Wouldn't bother me so much with a petrol Honda like that. Current owner of that is only the 3rd since new.

Agree, sister got one in great shape last December. And her only regret is that she didnt look at that model sooner. She absolutely loves it. Likely just a mistake between miles and km for the seller tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Your wrong there. The 207 was very reliable. The brother had one up untill recently, it never gave on once of trouble and the only reason he changed is because he needed a bigger car and more room.

I think he said the 207 was alright

You havn't seen it up close so :pac:, it's tatty but i absolutely dont care. I've pretty much been dailying it the last 2 months, really enjoying it, the 140 is totally acceptable in it. Throw up a pic at some stage, would love to see it!

Was a skit but it was bloody true- they were awful clunky looking things too- whoever was head of strategy at Peugeot at that time was an idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

User1998 wrote: »

I'd forgotten about the 1007! Only ever drove one, felt like it was about to fall over. I forgot the 307 too, horrible pile of crap.

I like Peugeot a lot, have done since my mum had an early 90's 106 and my dad had a 405. The 90s stuff was great but fragile but what replaced it was tosh.

Thankfully, they seem to have come full circle as the stuff they're putting out today is lovely, especially the interiors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'd forgotten about the 1007! Only ever drove one, felt like it was about to fall over. I forgot the 307 too, horrible pile of crap.

I like Peugeot a lot, have done since my mum had an early 90's 106 and my dad had a 405. The 90s stuff was great but fragile but what replaced it was tosh.

Thankfully, they seem to have come full circle as the stuff they're putting out today is lovely, especially the interiors.

The 508, especially the SW is one of the most beautiful machines out there.

They've definitely got the best looking mainstream range out there atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Peugeot peeked with the 305 van and the 205, 405 was made of paper mache

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    I love Peugeot too, though the 407 wasn’t exactly their finest hour- their early 2000s to 2010 stuff is best forgotten but they now have one of the most competitive mainstream ranges- still for under €1k there’s nothing wrong with that- lot of car for the money

I had a 407 Coupe 2.2 petrol. Great engine and a great car. LPg"d and ran it to 170k miles. Hard on ball joints, tappets would be noisy when cold, expensive re tyres but overall it was a thing of beauty. A real grand tourer..I did 70k miles each way daily for 2 years in that weapon. Loved it. Animal in 3rd.
    Now, the Coupé was built separately to the 407s. But yes, Pugs are great. Don't be talking about Toyota's in the same breath as Pugs folks. Unless you're talking Celicas. Bangernomics, ok, Toyota. But the joy of a Peugeot M16 or an XRAd or a 205 GTi or even a HDi 90/110 or 2.2 should not be underestimated. F*kin great cars. My mechanic loved mine :D
    Confession: Ive owned 3 Xantias. 1.9td (210k miles when sold, 2.0 16v (170k miles when sold), HDi 90 (260k miles when sold). Some annoyances but wonderful machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I had a 407 Coupe 2.2 petrol. Great engine and a great car. LPg"d and ran it to 170k miles. Hard on ball joints, tappets would be noisy when cold, expensive re tyres but overall it was a thing of beauty. A real grand tourer..I did 70k miles each way daily for 2 years in that weapon. Loved it. Animal in 3rd.
    Now, the Coupé was built separately to the 407s. But yes, Pugs are great. Don't be talking about Toyota's in the same breath as Pugs folks. Unless you're talking Celicas. Bangernomics, ok, Toyota. But the joy of a Peugeot M16 or an XRAd or a 205 GTi or even a HDi 90/110 or 2.2 should not be underestimated. F*kin great cars. My mechanic loved mine :D
    Confession: Ive owned 3 Xantias. 1.9td (210k miles when sold, 2.0 16v (170k miles when sold), HDi 90 (260k miles when sold). Some annoyances but wonderful machines.

I'm still annoyed I didn't go with the heart and go for that 405 a few months back on here.

I believe the 1007 was chronically underpowered due to the weight of the door system. Can’t remember when I last saw one

There’s one in DoneDeal- perfect for the city!!!
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27890975

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anyway, another bangernomics favourite:

1.8 petrol Civic, NCT 02/22, Heated leather up front. I love a sub 2k car with nice spec. This one is looking for €1,450. I'll likely go for one of these when the Celica dies.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-brand-new-nct-03-2022-2-x-keys/28116909

Just on those, you’d assume cos they have leather that they have decent spec, but that spec doesn’t get the auto lights and wipers or cruise control. Aim for an ES or EX with the panoramic roof, it transforms them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,567 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    I believe the 1007 was chronically underpowered due to the weight of the door system. Can’t remember when I last saw one

Yes that's true. It was very underpowered and slow. There used to be one owned by someone around here. Have not seen it on a while do. Must have a look next time I am going out to the parents to see does the person that had it still have it in there yard.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Speaking of Xantias, and the two I had along with a C5,
    Here's a cheap as chips, NCTd 2003 C5 estate for €700
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/citroen-c5-estate-2-0l-hdi/28072525
    I'd I was moving house this would be cheaper than hiring a van for a week or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭CoBo55

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'd I was moving house this would be cheaper than hiring a van for a week or two!

And it’s the 2 litre, bit of tax too I wonder what the back end is like that’s their Achilles heel unless the estate has a different setup. They’re getting scarce now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Apologies, I won't post the link as it would be thread spoiling due to no NCT.
    But an 09 estate C5 in Mountmellick asking 850, with again, no NCT, and an ABS sensor issue. Fine looking car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-vento-cl-1-9-diesel/28202074

Nzc3YmZmZjM0MWNmMzVjOWJmMDgzYzk2MzMzYzE1NzULrQh0T06aA8dwdpvkj0SxaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xODExNjM3OTJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1 owner 94 Vento diesel with relatively low miles and claims of FSH, NCT til January 2022, €1950

Not the most sensible bangernomics offering out there, but this is lovely and so original.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-vento-cl-1-9-diesel/28202074

Nzc3YmZmZjM0MWNmMzVjOWJmMDgzYzk2MzMzYzE1NzULrQh0T06aA8dwdpvkj0SxaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xODExNjM3OTJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1 owner 94 Vento diesel with relatively low miles and claims of FSH, NCT til January 2022, €1950

Not the most sensible bangernomics offering out there, but this is lovely and so original.

Saucy money for a farmers wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

CoBo55 wrote: »

Usually agree with the Duke but they're not all that at all. Glacier slow, soft gearboxes and never really that well put together despite the rep. Lots of dents too. A charmless yoke and overpriced. Saying that some DUB head would love it no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Negatives :

- High tax
    - Non turbo - so would loose a race with a sail

Positives :

- Wind up windows - no window regulators to go wrong.
    - Good chance no C/L to go wrong.
    - No aircon to go wrong ?

Big question :

- Has the clutch pedal disintegrated due to metal fatigue yet ( if not factor it in :D )

Have seen that around Kilkenny- especially the KY reg is a bit unusual!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Had 95 diesel Vento which had c/l. I'm know a friend had a Jan 94 one which hadn't. Mine also had an electric sunroof. Really liked it wasn't particularly fast. Sold privately and afaik its still going.

0lddog wrote: »
    Negatives :

- High tax
    - Non turbo - so would loose a race with a sail

Positives :

- Wind up windows - no window regulators to go wrong.
    - Good chance no C/L to go wrong.
    - No aircon to go wrong ?

Big question :

- Has the clutch pedal disintegrated due to metal fatigue yet ( if not factor it in :D )

You forgot, is the fan belt slipping? I never saw one of them yet that the belt wasn’t squealing like a stabbed pig.

Before farmers all starting getting 4*4s you’d often see those towing a cow box :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Surprised any unmolested are left....

Have to say they look well slightly dropped and a nice set of alloys, retro

• Advertisement

Yes that's true. It was very underpowered and slow. There used to be one owned by someone around here. Have not seen it on a while do. Must have a look next time I am going out to the parents to see does the person that had it still have it in there yard.

It was a nice idea and concept but the reality and execution turned out to be a bit different. I quite liked them, they still look good

Advertisement