Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub3k) of the week/day Part 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭selectamatic

It's the 2.5s that are plagued with headgasket issues.

Those 2.0s are pretty reliable I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mankteln

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-ambiente-1-4-5dr-80hp/28042936

Think my next bangernomics will be something like this, old and drab but reliable I'd imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Pearsett100

It's the 2.5s that are plagued with headgasket issues.

Those 2.0s are pretty reliable I think.

It's the 2.0l and it's automatic so I don't it's been through much of a hard life. Looks in good Nike but dear tax for what the car is

• Registered Users Posts: 15,569 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

mankteln wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-ambiente-1-4-5dr-80hp/28042936

Think my next bangernomics will be something like this, old and drab but reliable I'd imagine?

Not a thing wrong with that. Good cars. Put some alloys on it and you would be right.
    Very practical too.
    Great price. Mad to thing it is 14 years old now do it's great condition for it but maybe could have done with a wash before the pics were taken.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

what are the alfa romeo like? the 159 i was looking at maybe 2008

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Not a thing wrong with that. Good cars. Put some alloys on it and you would be right.
    Very practical too.
    Great price. Mad to thing it is 14 years old now do it's great condition for it but maybe could have done with a wash before the pics were taken.

Yeah the mileage is nothing when think about the numbers you see on some of that generation of Octavias. Looked at a couple last time I was in the market and was very impressed with size of the boot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,569 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yeah the mileage is nothing when think about the numbers you see on some of that generation of Octavias. Looked at a couple last time I was in the market and was very impressed with size of the boot too.

Very little mileage on it 4 years or 8 years driving whatever way you look at it and its 14 years old so divide that mileage by 14 years and it's even less in fact it's just under 6thousand miles a year. Strange that it is in miles do and not Kilometers. I always preferred miles myself.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

what are the alfa romeo like? the 159 i was looking at maybe 2008

1.9diesels not the worst, basically a gm engine, Soft dual mass flywheel and clutch slave cylinders, which are pain in terms of labour when they go. Petrol alfas, avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

1.9 tdi all the way, that VW 1.4 was never great.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    1.9 tdi all the way, that VW 1.4 was never great.

A diesel of that age with that little mileage might be a minefield though wouldn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

A diesel of that age with that little mileage might be a minefield though wouldn't it?

An older diesel with no dpf, and preferably no dmf also, will be grand up to 300k miles. And much more. Once it's got great servicing and v regular oil changes.

That VW 1.4 is dodgy.

I bought a Primera 2006 1.6 for 700 notes last Friday. Inch perfect. I mean, perfect.
    Lots of good stuf out there. Don't be too focussed on tax when you're only going to have it 1-3 years.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    An older diesel with no dpf, and preferably no dmf also, will be grand up to 300k miles. And much more. Once it's got great servicing and v regular oil changes.

That VW 1.4 is dodgy.

I bought a Primera 2006 1.6 for 700 notes last Friday. Inch perfect. I mean, perfect.
    Lots of good stuf out there. Don't be too focussed on tax when you're only going to have it 1-3 years.

Ah right I didn't realise that would have been pre DPF, when were they introduced?
    Previously I've mostly driven petrols but we actually have a diesel Qashqai at the moment and I've been really pleased with it.
    In relation to the DPF what kind of drive is needed to keep it clear? I'd do 45 minutes on the motorway 4 times a week, but in 6th gear, would've thought that would sufficient but was talking to someone in work who owns a Skoda superb and doesn't do much long distance driving so once every two weeks drives it in a lower gear for a stretch to "clear" DPF. Think he said that over 4000rpm was needed, that sound like nonsense to you? Can't say I know much about diesels as this is the first we've had for any length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Ah right I didn't realise that would have been pre DPF, when were they introduced?
    Previously I've mostly driven petrols but we actually have a diesel Qashqai at the moment and I've been really pleased with it.
    In relation to the DPF what kind of drive is needed to keep it clear? I'd do 45 minutes on the motorway 4 times a week, but in 6th gear, would've thought that would sufficient but was talking to someone in work who owns a Skoda superb and doesn't do much long distance driving so once every two weeks drives it in a lower gear for a stretch to "clear" DPF. Think he said that over 4000rpm was needed, that sound like nonsense to you? Can't say I know much about diesels as this is the first we've had for any length of time.

There's absolutely no need to be revving a diesel to 4000 rpm your driving would be perfect for a diesel. Luckily VAG vehicles have a dpf light that comes on if the car needs a bit of a drive. I've 41000 km done on mine and I've never seen the light I just drive it normally. There's a lot of aul guff spouted about dpf drives. One problem to look out for with the 1.9 TDI Octavia is sticking turbo vanes. Symptoms are a sudden loss of power as the revs climb and boost increases, switching off and on again will restore power but ultimately you'll need a new turbo, cleaning the vanes is a temporary fix at best, filthy job too.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    There's absolutely no need to be revving a diesel to 4000 rpm your driving would be perfect for a diesel. Luckily VAG vehicles have a dpf light that comes on if the car needs a bit of a drive. I've 41000 km done on mine and I've never seen the light I just drive it normally. There's a lot of aul guff spouted about dpf drives. One problem to look out for with the 1.9 TDI Octavia is sticking turbo vanes. Symptoms are a sudden loss of power as the revs climb and boost increases, switching off and on again will restore power but ultimately you'll need a new turbo, cleaning the vanes is a temporary fix at best, filthy job too.
    Aye thought it sounded like nonsense to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Aye thought it sounded like nonsense to be honest!

Bought 2012 Octavia 1.6cr tdi, had it 2 weeks coil light flashing and loss of power. Luckily bought off main dealer so was covered. EGR valve needed replacing only 75k miles covered.
    I do know it got the fix done in 2018. I would advise anyone who buys a 1.6 tdi pre 2016 not to get fix done if it hasn't been done already. Way to many regens with the fix done.

Love the car btw, very spacious and comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Bought 2012 Octavia 1.6cr tdi, had it 2 weeks coil light flashing and loss of power. Luckily bought off main dealer so was covered. EGR valve needed replacing only 75k miles covered.
    I do know it got the fix done in 2018. I would advise anyone who buys a 1.6 tdi pre 2016 not to get fix done if it hasn't been done already. Way to many regens with the fix done.

I thought you drove a Lex i.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I thought you drove a Lex i.

But definitely not a Mini Metro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

CoBo55 wrote: »
    ..... One problem to look out for with the 1.9 TDI Octavia is sticking turbo vanes. Symptoms are a sudden loss of power as the revs climb and boost increases, switching off and on again will restore power but ultimately you'll need a new turbo, cleaning the vanes is a temporary fix at best, filthy job too.

We have one of these engines in the collection. Its an ASV variant . Yes, turbo vanes sticking used to be a problem. Pushing a year ago now we decided to try the fancy diesel ( expensive Applegreen to be exact ). After running a few tank fulls through things started to clean up - can see smoke ( or lack of ) at night in headlights of car behind. Fueled with it ever since. No sticking vanes since. NCT earlier this year returned the lowest smoke figure for the car since we got it ( 15 years ? ). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'd be telling anyone with an un-updated car (which is few and far between at this stage) to definitely get it done.

Those engines had an appetite for EGR's before the update ever existed and the update will give you two years unlimited mileage cover on the EGR.

0lddog wrote: »
    We have one of these engines in the collection. Its an ASV variant . Yes, turbo vanes sticking used to be a problem. Pushing a year ago now we decided to try the fancy diesel ( expensive Applegreen to be exact ). After running a few tank fulls through things started to clean up - can see smoke ( or lack of ) at night in headlights of car behind. Fueled with it ever since. No sticking vanes since. NCT earlier this year returned the lowest smoke figure for the car since we got it ( 15 years ? ). :)

I did everything with mine but it really needed a new turbo, I traded it for a petrol one and made it the dealers problem:D. The last two tests showed zero emissions but the problem persisted, I saw a woman driving it a few years later so it must have been sorted at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

An Ri rua wrote: »

That VW 1.4 is dodgy.

What are the primeras like reliability wise?

Was looking at one ages ago and was warned off as meant to be trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I'd be telling anyone with an un-updated car (which is few and far between at this stage) to definitely get it done.

Those engines had an appetite for EGR's before the update ever existed and the update will give you two years unlimited mileage cover on the EGR.

Ya I hear you, I have 2 years on egr which is good but the software update makes car regen far more than without. I did ask the guys to check dpf when it was in and they said it was ok. You'll know its regenerating when revs at idle increase and fan running.

On Briskoda they tell me that car runs better, higher fuel economy and easier on dmf and egr pre update. I did find out to my surprise that my car doesn't have a dmf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

What are the primeras like reliability wise?

Was looking at one ages ago and was warned off as meant to be trouble

I only have this 7 days, as a back up car. But bought it based on reviews only and a careful study of the owner. That's how I roll. I read docs and people. A car is a system and I'll go on owner reviews, HonestJohn and Carsurvey.org for that. No mechanic required, just your head and gut.

My opinion is that the 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 on these (petrol, mind) are worthy bangernomics. The 1.6 (this is a P12, an 06) is a grand little engine. Very underpowered but then it's a heavy car..Certainly no revvy Honda. But many swear by the older Primers 2.0 GTi engine. I'd never been a lover of Japanese but bought my main car, a 2006 CRV on sight, using my woowoo deduction powers, and it's now at 250k miles. This Primera, which I didn't even test-drive as I studied the 'mark' and prize, shall we say, is another fine fine bargain.
    Let's just say amazing gut instinct and woowoo powers are greatly underwritten by Japanese engineering.
    However, you might need Luciferian black magic to turn a sow's ear (Nissan DCi diesel) into a silk purse. No go, I hear, even in the old X Trail. Which is why I went for a CTDi CRV. Mighty yoke :p Let it have a good strong drink of Dipetane and, apart from headlight correction, it sails through the NCT :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Drew P. Wiener

Looking at a 2010 Octavia 1.2tsi here...

Is the timing chain going a matter of when, not if

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

I believe they changed design in 2011, to better

No, not necessarily IF and I mean IF it has a good service history and the correct oil was used the chances of chain failure is very much reduced. It's a lovely engine in fairness, very smooth and capable.

slipperyox wrote: »
    I believe they changed design in 2011, to better

I thought it was 2013 they went to belt, maybe it was earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jharr100

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-superb-2-0l-tdi-l-ampk-limited-edition/28066777

I know this is over budget, but there might be a haggle to bring it closer?
    What is it worth ?

MTgwN2U4ZDVkMDZiZmMzNGY2ZTU2ODk1NWI2MDFhNGGIkga3ETSzGSXsbZcF4sN7aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzk3NTEwOTh8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement

jharr100 wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-superb-2-0l-tdi-l-ampk-limited-edition/28066777

I know this is over budget, but there might be a haggle to bring it closer?
    What is it worth ?

MTgwN2U4ZDVkMDZiZmMzNGY2ZTU2ODk1NWI2MDFhNGGIkga3ETSzGSXsbZcF4sN7aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzk3NTEwOTh8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Half that because of it being an 07. Is it tested? a years test in the description test expired Dec 20 in the columns... Nice spec but the high tax kills it stone dead.

Advertisement