Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

kegg wrote: »
    Nice bird table! How did u attach it to the fence?

The weird friendly nosiness of Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The Irish Sea must have moved into Carlow, cause I'm getting a streamer here in southern Laois.

Really tiny flakes, quite a decent bit in fairness. The ground is so dry it blows around like dust in the gusty east wind. Quite a sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

678-DE297-A3-A0-43-F4-9-A32-F84-E5-B18-B981.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

Loughc wrote: »
    Is it just me or did this just get Massively downgraded?

The weather app was showing snow for tomorrow and Thursday now showing rain for both days instead.

Please tell me your not basing downgrades on weather apps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Mimon wrote: »
    The streamers are not following a direct easterly path. They have been going slightly North of Easterly for the last few hours so this is not accurate.

Really am not seeing that on the radar sequence tbh.

The precip. over Leinster has been moving in 3 fingers roughly all evening. Rather patchy bar the uppermost streamer over north Meath. There's been on-off precip. upstream of Gonzo all evening, to his east, north east, and south east.

Can you give some times @ which you see a clear Anglesey shadow using ME radar? Maybe you're right, I just don't see a defined shadow. Even now there's pretty much no gaps, hardly been that dramatic of a steering wind change? It just seemed earlier that things weren't very organised south of the main northern stream (heading inland from Balbriggan) and people were getting stuck with brief passing showers rather than anything consistent. If Gonzo was in the shadow, then upstream should have been too so what are those locations?

EDIT: And a last point, I drew those lines after watching the radar sequence and tracked the direction showers were moving in relation to Gonzo for his sake. I didn't put them in on the assumption of the direction of travel. I followed it. Gaoth L is the man here for these things and he doesn't see any real shadows. See the North sea action. This stuff happens in thin strips all the time with gaps that are annoying but not always because of a shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

The weather app was showing snow for tomorrow and Thursday now showing rain for both days instead.

If your taking it from apps,my app is showing snow until Sunday from late Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Light snow shower in South Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TeaCup2

Heavy graupel South Kilkenny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

No but we’re still ok and so much potential to come. Hang on in there, we’re just getting into it all....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Lovely snow here now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    If your taking it from apps,my app is showing snow until Sunday from late Wednesday

Mine just showing rain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

A reliable answer to the Thursday snow potential won't really be available until closer to the time (Friday morning? jk) ... but there's no particular trend towards or away from good snow potential in the most recent guidance. The basic concept of that potential is that milder air will meet enough resistance from cold air to be forced over top for long enough that there's a decent period of snowfall before the inevitable time where the front pushes through and there's no more over-running. A second warm front is likely to be embedded in the flow which would lead to a secondary maximum of precip later, all rain (but this applied with greater confidence to the western two-thirds of Ireland, there are still options where the cold air is so resistant that it never actually leaves before the over-running moves away to the north, to be followed by a second boundary event of some kind around Monday).

This can all change if the models pick up on either (a) less resistance, the cold high moving away to the east too far to offer much resistance), or (b) less warm air advection, the cold air winning out more decisively and keeping the milder air at bay. I don't think there's much chance of (b) but there is a significant chance of (a).

Also snow rates can be greater or lesser depending on the dynamics, maybe some would fall but not very much, with adequate time but rates too low, the outcome is not as good.

I am seeing a tendency for the cold block to start sliding south more to the east of Britain which we'll need to assess, part of the thinking about snow potential involves how cold it remains in Britain because by then, with a southeast flow established, the cold air being maintained in eastern Ireland needs to be reinforced by deeper cold in western Britain, otherwise, western Britain becomes the more ideal location for the snowfall.

Just a general note, if anything, the small amounts of snow being reported so far are a bit ahead of median expectations from model guidance, as I was hoping might be the case, so certainly on a good trend since tomorrow was always looking better than today.

I was following reports fairly closely in southeast England and the details there are interesting. Snow amounts have varied considerably, two areas seemed to do particularly well, one being east Kent (10-20 cm amounts) and the other being a coastal to 20 km inland stretch of east Anglia from Norfolk to Essex, 20-30 cm amounts reported locally there. Into parts of west Kent, east London and east Surrey, 5 cms about the best amounts reported, and gradually down to trace-2 cm coatings further west into Oxfordshire.

Results in the U.K. midlands and Yorkshire somewhat hit or miss, but some reports of thundersnow which could become the case in the Dublin area at times tomorrow, we shall see. Not that I'm saying thundersnow plus massive amounts of snow in this case, just thunder with whatever smaller amounts you might see. Local maxima tomorrow could be 10-15 cm in a few lucky spots. Average might be a lot closer to 2 cms.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Light snow shower west Roscommon. According to the radar the showers have disintegrated before reaching here but it's defo snowing. Has left a dusting on the cars so far, would prob have left a little more but the wind is blowing it around.

Heavy snow now settling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Lovely snow here now

pretty wet snow for me, bring back the graupel :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

radar shows that it is snowing here, went outside and nothing!

Nice steady fall here now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Lovely snow here too..temp 1.1
    South Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Heavy graupel and snow in D5. Road etc turning white :-)

• Advertisement

Mine just showing rain :(

Any consolation my young fellas is rain/snow mine is showing snow as is wifes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Very blustery here with sheets of light snow flakes now. Doesn't accumulate like our beloved graupel.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Heavy snow now settling

Enjoy! So jealous but lovely to see some getting proper snow, we had a small bit of snizzle just on outskirts of Waterford city, temp dropped from 3.1c to 1.9c quickly but DP has gone above freezing..

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Very light snow Dublin 5

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Had a heavy shower here about 2 hours ago left a dusting, nothing since although going by radar we should be getting pelted.

Still the dusting stayed on all surfaces so it's a good sign for later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Looks like the snow is coming in towards swords and the line across Kells and East cavan I hope it makes it to me, Kermit did you get snow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭guil

Decent shower in the curragh

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Heavy fall now. D17

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

What radars are best?

• Advertisement

Place going white, coming down in sheets

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement