Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I just have a good feeling for Cork tonight/tomorrow.
    The wind is backing slightly more Southeast, just enough to increase shower intensity.
    Lying snow in Cork by the morning is my prediction

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I hope you are right JS. Might be a bit on the optimistic side IMHO but would love to be proved wrong.

Just generally the met radar looks really good over Dublin right now. Its a bit surprising and not in a good way therefore not to getting lots of reports of snow accumulating. What is showing for them on the radar right now is what I was hoping we might get if everything fell right....

Heavy pellet shower in Dublin 15 right now starting to whiten the roads. The earlier graupel on the cars, bins etc from the teatime precipitation never melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think most of us south of Navan to Drogheda area can forget about seeing anything decent tonight. That Wales shadow is an absolute killer, i'm right on the northern tip of that shadow and it's probably going to move slightly more north through the night. Northern half of Meath could have several cm by the morning if this trend continues through the night but below that line probably less than 1cm.

You're not in a Wales shadow...

There is precip over S.Dublin, N. Wicklow and into N.Kildare.

Just unlucky to be caught in no mans land, both of us.

Your sea fetch currently extends back to Blackpool in the UK. Great fetch. Just didn't get lucky tonight.

Radar1.png

EDIT: Perhaps you're looking at NW or MetO based radars and none of that precip is showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    There is not enough intensity in these showers anywhere and the temperatures are hovering around 1 or 2 degrees anyway so any graupel or snow that falls will not stick....

It's sticking in Balrothery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Stop staring at Wine Godesses decking ya dirty yolk.

Thought you where talking to me for a second

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Zogabomb

John.Icy wrote: »

Your sea fetch currently extends back to Blackpool in the UK. Great fetch. Just didn't get lucky tonight.

Radar1.png

I'm well used to that feeling !!! :D

Radar1.png

EDIT: Perhaps you're looking at NW or MetO based radars and none of that precip is showing up.

Here what are the chances it will make it to me in Carrick on Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Radar1.png

If you look back you will see Anglesea is causing that gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I seem to have a very different interpretation of "decent snow" to many on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

It's sticking in Balrothery.

Just ignore him, he is trying to create enough hot air with his trolling/annoyance to melt the snow.

• Advertisement

Dazler97 wrote: »
    Here what are the chances it will make it to me in Carrick on Shannon

Snow grains, maybe.

Anything remotely decent - I'd say it's close to zero unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Light snow shower here. It seems to be sticking on the car

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Straws. Clutching, a few flakes as always,

All over by Saturday, and melt almighty, if we get anything besides being melted ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

Yeah the UK based radar sites are useless for the east coast when there's precip south of the NI radar "blocking the view". It shouldn't really behave like this but it does, and has done for years. They don't use the Dublin radar. Better to stick with MetE.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Zogabomb

All over by Saturday, and melt almighty, if we get anything besides being melted ourselves.

I've read that sentence 5 times and I still can't understand it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

We get it, you're not a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

Always nice to get those mini drifts against your windows :D

I was not expecting snow that heavy tonight.

AEC0-F7-F5-4-AD0-4106-B7-AF-C98511-EF6421.jpg

Mimon wrote: »
    If you look back you will see Anglesea is causing that gap.

The Northern tip of Anglesey correlates roughly with the northern tip of the M50.

Gonzo is further NW than that. He is West of Ashbourne, Swords etc. all of which have seen snow. Sometimes you just don't have lucky on your side. There is decent precip. to his east now he should see snow within the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So some bits of polystyrene floating about and a horrible wind and then looks like it pisses rain all weekend and gets even windier.
    Doesn't look like there'll be anything to talk about in Dublin anyway.
    Give me last weeks weather over this any day, this is horrible!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Possibly i'm under the Anglesea shadow. Showers just to my north and south across the fields all evening. Perhaps a slight more SE tilt to the wind might put the showers back in action later tonight.

My knowledge of the Wales shadow isn't good because it rarely ever affects me, it's normally the IOM Shadow that causes all the headaches.

Would I be right in saying that when the winds tilt further to the SE by tomorrow and Wednesday that decent streamers are possible in a sea fetch from Fishguard to Dublin/Meath?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

That made my teeth itch reading that

Snow grains, maybe.

Anything remotely decent - I'd say it's close to zero unfortunately.

I'd take a few flurries, this is why I hate living down here, yes we have more snow in northwestlys but I miss Dublin especially for the easterlys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭mcburns07

So some bits of polystyrene floating about and a horrible wind and then looks like it pisses rain all weekend and gets even windier.
    Doesn't look like there'll be anything to talk about in Dublin anyway.
    Give me last weeks weather over this any day, this is horrible!

We get it, you don't like wind, you're like a broken record Monk.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Always nice to get those mini drifts against your windows :D

I was not expecting snow that heavy tonight.

AEC0-F7-F5-4-AD0-4106-B7-AF-C98511-EF6421.jpg

Wow where is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Tonight's 18z a nudge slower again in bringing in Thursdays ppn. Cold getting more and more difficult to shift. Widespread snow across the country, a red is possible for the East with orange likely further South

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Tonight's 18z a nudge slower again in bringing in Thursdays ppn. Cold getting more and more difficult to shift. Widespread snow across the country, a red is possible for the East with orange likely further South

Carlow/Wexford/Wicklow area looks best situated for 5cm+ right?

Gonzo wrote: »
    Possibly i'm under the Anglesea shadow. Showers just to my north and south across the fields all evening. Perhaps a slight more SE tilt to the wind might put the showers back in action later tonight.

My knowledge of the Wales shadow isn't good because it rarely ever affects me, it's normally the IOM Shadow that causes all the headaches.

Would I be right in saying that when the winds tilt further to the SE by tomorrow and Wednesday that decent streamers are possible in a sea fetch from Fishguard to Dublin/Meath?

It's light but there's precip. to your east. Just need it to make it there. Apologies for the lack of steady lines! :D

Radar-2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

At the rate it’s going won’t be any precipitation at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Pushing 1cm in naas in the last hour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's light but there's precip. to your east. Just need it to make it there. Apologies for the lack of steady lines! :D

Radar-2.png

it's here now, horizontal graupel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement