Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

Danno wrote: »
    Very optimistic by Michelle!!!

Music to my ears wasn't expecting so optimistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Is much precipitation expected overnight in eastern counties? Presume it will fall as snow if so given the temps

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gizit

Light snow flurry in East Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

Did Michelle say how long the cold would win out to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Anyone have a brief summary of what Michelle said. I missed it thanks to two minutes of ads on the atrocity that is rte player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

Can't wait to see what it's like going to work for 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Less vague than the 9 o clock

Thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭typhoony

some low temps over in the UK this evening, that air should be over us later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

pad199207 wrote: »
    Possibly into next week :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

aisling86 wrote: »
    Music to my ears wasn't expecting so optimistic!

I’d be waiting until Wednesday before getting any hopes up especially for Cork!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

Danno wrote: »
    Possibly into next week :eek:

Ah stop the lights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

She said on Thursday and Friday likely to remain as snow in east and north and I think midlands. She said there is a battleground over the weekend with a separate weather system approaching but that current indications suggest the cold may win out in north and east. Very interesting and one to keep an eye on
    pad199207 wrote: »

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Michelle strongly suggesting that the cold in the east of the country may not get displaced, and that further weather off the Atlantic could continue to fall as snow in eastern and northern parts of the country. Not a guaranteed scenario, but the clear hint was given that a breakdown over significant parts of the country is not the way they see this working at the moment.

Not sure, and given we've seen very little today in Ashbourne, despite all around us seeing more, I'm not going to get too excited just yet.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

light flakes blowing around here, no clouds, all i see is the stars in the sky.
    5k south of Tuam.

Any experts care to give a short explanation of why some apps are now showing decent snow forecasts for Sunday and Monday?
    Thks

The apps mainly run off the latest gfs runs,so vary 4 times a day
    If the run they usually update on shows snow,so will the app
    But its not accurate
    Forecasters use a blend of different models and their opinions to generate a much more accurate forecast
    That too is limited by uncertainty as its easier to forecast if all the different models agree on outcomes
    A lot of them often do within 4 to 5 days
    Currently they're not which is where you'll hear a forecaster talk about uncertainty

Back to your app,it can't do any of that,it can only parrot one model

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Anyone have a brief summary of what Michelle said. I missed it thanks to two minutes of ads on the atrocity that is rte player

Thursday is pretty much nailed on for widespread snow (not her exact words). Warmer air getting as far as West Munster, parts of Connacht.

Warnings should be issued by Wednesday morning.

Reload over the weekend potentially extends the snow in to next week but main focus on Thursday-Friday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Showers sadly breaking up before they reach me here's hoping, also I'm confidence is building for Thursday for 2/3 nationwide snowfall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭piplip87

AuntySnow wrote: »
    But its not accurate
    Forecasters use a blend of different models and their opinions to generate a much more accurate forecast
    That too is limited by uncertainty as its easier to forecast if all the different models agree on outcomes
    Currently they're not which is where you'll hear a forecaster talk about uncertainty

I like the windy app let's you compare 4 or 5 different models..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Snow in Edinburgh tonight.

Love the Scottish accent. Those who speak it always sound like they are just about going to nut you one.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Just watched back Michelle on CBLive and a very positive outlook it was. The only certainty really is Thursday is nailed on for hours of snow for many and beyond that all outcomes still possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

That's a great update for Thursday and onwards.

I can see it already now here in Dublin...watching the front for hours on it's journey...will it make it? will it weaken? will the Wicklow Mts make mince meat of it?

Bring on the torture! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Just watched back Michelle on CBLive and a very positive outlook it was. The only certainty really is Thursday is nailed on for hours of snow for many and beyond that all outcomes still possible.

Where did you watch it back Mick?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Snow in Edinburgh tonight.

Love the Scottish accent. Those who speak it always sound like they are just about going to nut you one.
    Not all of us....been here 20 years told I sound like a snob when I go back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Technophobe

AuntySnow wrote: »
    But its not accurate

Thanks for that..its showing next Sunday as very windy and cold and snowy..fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Really coming down with dry powder on the Dublin, Meath and Kildare border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

TTLF wrote: »
    was this news 9pm weather yes?

Claire Burne show had some one from met eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

TTLF wrote: »
    was this news 9pm weather yes?
    Claire Byrne live

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Frost on the cars in Galway, all we need is some snow now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Really coming down with dry powder on the Dublin, Meath and Kildare border.

Looks like your getting blasted out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

Is that train of streamers along the M6 starting to drop south a little. Wishful thinking maybe.
    Looks like decent snow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement