Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Stop staring at Wine Godesses decking ya dirty yolk.

Is that a Dublin thing ?! Never knew decking was anything other than , that em decking lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

Gonzo wrote: »
    Possibly i'm under the Anglesea shadow. Showers just to my north and south across the fields all evening. Perhaps a slight more SE tilt to the wind might put the showers back in action later tonight.

My knowledge of the Wales shadow isn't good because it rarely ever affects me, it's normally the IOM Shadow that causes all the headaches.

Would I be right in saying that when the winds tilt further to the SE by tomorrow and Wednesday that decent streamers are possible in a sea fetch from Fishguard to Dublin/Meath?

You're not at all, nowhere near it! The Anglesey shadow currently starts at about Greystones southwards. You're just getting unlucky that's all.

For example look at the 21:15 MetE radar frame, look at the blob of precip jusr SW of Dublin, now go backwards on the radar and you can trace it's origin to the north of Anglesey.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

I have that pesky 5 o’clock shadow , will I get snow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

it's here now, horizontal graupel.

Good stuff.

Probably better off being dry most of the evening. Ground is just too warm for the sporadic nature of the showers outside of the main snow trains so it's just been melting within minutes all evening here. Looks like you might get some decent time out of it now so might get some slight accumulations going since it is later at night!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Would I be right in saying that when the winds tilt further to the SE by tomorrow and Wednesday that decent streamers are possible in a sea fetch from Fishguard to Dublin/Meath?

I'm not entirely sure but from my knowledge, a SE tilt would bring streamers into SCD and towards Meath possibly where you're located. It's more of an issue for NCD as then they're put under the Anglesey shadow. (Credit to Sryan for teaching me that)

Anyway it's lightly snowing here in D14, not a whole lot since the bigger flakes but it's light-moderate at times, not holding my breath to have a decent covering tonight, but it's sticking hard and well to grass patches, my shed roofs and cars so who knows. :D

Hope that helped Gonzo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

A light dusting in Naas, hopefully I get a little bit more and it sticks around overnight so I can enjoy my morning walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Light snow in Castleknock,a right tease,kids at the lamppost watching all night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

My better half sent me this from Glasgow

7t6C7_wx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

We had a heavy enough snow shower in D24 about 20mins ago. It seems to be very wet snow because a lot of it has melted already, and the ground is now slushy.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

Getting a covering in Kilcock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Ptrk85

Navan currently. In between showers it wants to thaw with the slightly warmer ground temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

any more to come to dublin north soon enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There isn't really any shadow in the Irish Sea this evening. These setups will form streamwise streets of showers even without any terrain interference. Look at the radar animation of the showers getting into northeastern England.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Pipmae

East Meath - just over the border of North Co Dublin. I’m hopeful of a good covering overnight.

I’ve the bird table well stocked for the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭bazlers

Nice dusting here in East Offaly. Nothing to get excited over.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Just spoke with he son in West Dublin and when I asked him about snow he said 'you'd get more from a North westerly off Donegal Bay in October'..... he or the grandkids are not impressed with the graupel. My granddaughter won't believe it's a type of snow....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Daz_ wrote: »
    I have that pesky 5 o’clock shadow , will I get snow ?

You'll need to shave first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just spoke with he son in West Dublin and when I asked him about snow he said 'you'd get more from a North westerly off Donegal Bay in October'..... he or the grandkids are not impressed with the graupel. My granddaughter won't believe it's a type of snow....

:D christ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

Like Father Like Son :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Rougies wrote: »
    You're not at all, nowhere near it! The Anglesey shadow currently starts at about Greystones southwards. You're just getting unlucky that's all.

For example look at the 21:15 MetE radar frame, look at the blob of precip jusr SW of Dublin, now go backwards on the radar and you can trace it's origin to the north of Anglesey.

You are making the mistake that the streamers are following a direct easterly path. They are not. They are curving slightly to the South in the expanse of the Irish sea to the North of Wales. When close to the Irish coast they then start curving slightly North. He was right in the Anglesea shadow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Someone, back in the mists of time, maybe even GL himself, described the Streamers like Slip-Streaming cyclists benefiting from the low pressure air behind the cyclist in front and thus having to work less to maintain the same speed. The shower cell behind slips into the slipstream of the one in front and in turn another cell does the same to that cell. ie. They self organise into lines of showers with gaps in between. In other words, the gaps aren't always caused by a snow shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Incoming for north Dublin in next 30 minutes. After that looks like the Irish sea engine comes to rest for now.

This will enable temperatures fall back with less wind and cloud cover. Hopefully ahead of another uptick in activity later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

John.Icy wrote: »
    It's light but there's precip. to your east. Just need it to make it there. Apologies for the lack of steady lines! :D

Radar-2.png

The streamers are not following a direct easterly path. They have been going slightly North of Easterly for the last few hours so this is not accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kegg

Pipmae wrote: »
    East Meath - just over the border of North Co Dublin. I’m hopeful of a good covering overnight.

I’ve the bird table well stocked for the morning.

Nice bird table! How did u attach it to the fence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Radar just kicking off East of Cork city
    Heavy snow shower imminent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

Snowing again in swords

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

kegg wrote: »
    Nice bird table! How did u attach it to the fence?

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I'm keeping an eye on the showers heading towards me, hopefully they make it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

pad199207 wrote: »
    Like Father Like Son :D

He never stood a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Is it just me or did this just get Massively downgraded?

The weather app was showing snow for tomorrow and Thursday now showing rain for both days instead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement