Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Leary Throws Down The Gauntlet To NPHET

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,356 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So many ppl (family, friends, work contacts)have said to me they’ll be boycotting Ryanair for life after the despicable carry on of Ryanair over the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Hurrache wrote: »
    Where do you think you're going to get the jab from, magic it out of the air?

He'd of successfully negotiated a watertight contract with the Pharma company so it wasn't just a "we'll do our best", ensured the distribution was efficient and on time, kept the public up to date with a proper online system, and ensured weekly targets were met... Just like any well run project....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Is that's a promise he can make?.

Probably not, but I feel better knowing that someone is fighting for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

NPHET are going to be overly cautious.
    Big Business is going to be overly Liberal.

What we need is the people that we elect to meet half way because we all know somewhere in between the 2 extremes is the right path. It does seem like government is leading too much toward the Conservative approach. And the media are 100% down the Conservative approach, who shouldn't even be a factor but it seems like government make decisions entirely based on what the media will think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Is that's a promise he can make?.

Probably can to be fair. It'd be the country receiving you that will be what wants the proof of vaccine or else go straight to quarantine.

In true Ryanair fashion he'll take your money and get you roughly to the destination, after that not his problem sort it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I don't think they are. It is highly patronising for NPHET to assume either.

There lies my gripe.

The least they can be with us is honest, I am sick of having to read between the lines.

Don't fall into the trap of assuming everyone is stupid, it is a lazy attitude to develop or harness.

they bloody well are.
    Half the people you meet are morons and social media have addled their brains even more. We have people on facebook who can barely spell their name and count to 10 using their fingers thinking they know better than NPHET on the virus or against the vaccine because they think its a control thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

seamus wrote: »
    O'Leary is a gobsh1te and has been a complete disgrace since the start of this thing.

All he cares about is shareholder returns for Ryanair. That's all he's doing. Same as Ryanair's big whinge back in April 2020 that they would be flying except that Governments won't let them. They don't give a single fvck about the safety of their passengers or crew, it's all about the money.

O'Leary's rant today is about as insightful as every other moron on boards and facebook claiming that there's some ulterior motive to what NPHET is doing and that lockdowns are ineffective.

He's got his headlines now, but really he's just pissed off because Ryanair are going to post a loss. He's a cock.

You’re probably right, though it’s probably also not ridiculous to say that many people in public office act out of their own ulterior motives (maintain popularity and votes). Sometimes, at least it’s refreshing that O’Leary is more or less upfront about it — rather than us being subjected to politicians telling us how much they really care about saving the lives of old people who they never really gave a toss about until it became expedient.

There is a point to what he says, regardless of his motivations. It has often seemed to me that these conferences on case numbers are a great way of all-but-saying “look at how much the feckless people aren’t listening, if they would just listen harder the numbers would topple down much faster”. The government relied on case numbers as a handy means of communication — they provided a hard numerical barometer of what success or deterioration looked like.

Now we have a new hard number by which to measure the government’s success on Covid policy — vaccinations. Regardless of Ryanair taking hits, there is still a pressing public interest in knowing where exactly we are at so that pressure can be brought to bear on our authorities if they are failing us.

O'Leary is a gobsh1te and has been a complete disgrace since the start of this thing.

All he cares about is shareholder returns for Ryanair. That's all he's doing. Same as Ryanair's big whinge back in April 2020 that they would be flying except that Governments won't let them. They don't give a single fvck about the safety of their passengers or crew, it's all about the money.

O'Leary's rant today is about as insightful as every other moron on boards and facebook claiming that there's some ulterior motive to what NPHET is doing and that lockdowns are ineffective.

He's got his headlines now, but really he's just pissed off because Ryanair are going to post a loss. He's a cock.

Big +1 to this. It’s the same old scutter talk from O’Leary. It’s depressing how many ppl seem to “fall under his spell” when he blathers on.

Our country is on its knees.
    Our economy is destroyed.............

It actually isn't.
    Look at the income tax take......... loads of folk on low wages are on state payments but the income tax take is quite healthy.

That's not much good to the local hairdresser, restauranteur or publican but at a high level the country isn't on it's knees and the economy isn't destroyed.

O Leary is a bullsh1tter who spouts populist horsesh1t ................ I've still not been refunded for flights cancelled last May and they were booked direct with Ryanair. O Leary claims all folk have been refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Multipass wrote: »
    Good for him, finally someone publically challenging the hysteria.
    I’m very very happy that he said that Ryanair won’t be looking for proof of vaccination, that gives me hope to be able to visit family this year, instead of having to wait until they get around to vaccinating the lowest level of priority.
    What he's saying here is that Ryanair will take you to your destination regardless of whether you will be allowed to stay or not.

If Ryanair check your vaccination status before you leave, they may have to refund you when they deny you borading. If they bring you all the way, they have your money (and whatever you spent on board), and then getting into the country is your problem.

Don't be fooled - Ryanair don't do anything that is in their passengers' best interests.

If they find that there's more money in checking vaccination status before boarding (like being allowed to keep your money), they will be doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭greyday

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I spoke with friends in Germany yesterday. Last week we were being told that the German quality control had judged the vaccine not as effective on the over 65's.

I was told by a German yesterday that they are implementing a vaccination strategy of only using Astra Zeneca on under 65's as a result. For 2 reasons. The first being that the under 65's need to get back to work. The 2nd being that their own medical and pharma agency judged the vaccine to not working cohesively with over 65's.

Why are we not being told this?
    This was told and was in all the papers, Germany will use Pfizer and Moderna vaccines on over 65's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Even at €200 to be able to get the jab would be worth it, if you wait for the HSE to supply you with the jab then you'll still be here next year waiting...

Well first of all you would jump in line before the vulnerable who really need it first?

Second countries can only get whatever the companies can make and deliver in its contracts. Do you think little Ireland on its own would have got a better deal?

Third the vaccine does not stop you from getting it and passing it on to other people which brings me to my first point

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I would love O Leary to be Minister for Health or head of HSE, he'd save Ireland billions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What he's saying here is that Ryanair will take you to your destination regardless of whether you will be allowed to stay or not.

If Ryanair check your vaccination status before you leave, they may have to refund you when they deny you borading. If they bring you all the way, they have your money (and whatever you spent on board), and then getting into the country is your problem.

Don't be fooled - Ryanair don't do anything that is in their passengers' best interests.

If they find that there's more money in checking vaccination status before boarding (like being allowed to keep your money), they will be doing that.

Bingo.

Can you imagine the self pity and self indulgent warblings from O’Leary if he had a bad dose of covid.

Well first of all you would jump in line before the vulnerable who really need it first?

Second countries can only get whatever the companies can make and deliver in its contracts. Do you think little Ireland on its own would have got a better deal?

Third the vaccine does not stop you from getting it and passing it on to other people which brings me to my first point

Any evidence on your last point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The EMA considered the evidence separately and they took into account lab based trials that showed a strong antibody response in over 65s and decided thag they felt there was no evidence of a difference between over 65s and the rest of the population.

Would you not be intrigued to know or understand why this was only conveyed by our media 7 days after the EU realised that Astra Zeneca were taking the piss?

I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    He'd of successfully negotiated a watertight contract with the Pharma company so it wasn't just a "we'll do our best", ensured the distribution was efficient and on time, kept the public up to date with a proper online system, and ensured weekly targets were met... Just like any well run project....

Are you deluded with what's happening in the world at the moment in terms of vaccines?

The gob****es in Ryanair couldn't even manage a basic refund system, either that, or were barefaced lying about the 'complexities' around it while investing short term all their customers fares and didn't want to refund them and invoked early termination penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Whatever about the above, I know O'leary would have negotiated a much better contract with the suppliers and distributors than the disaster that's been the EU....need I say "Article 16".... Anyone in the private sector who authorized that would have lost their job!!

So many ppl (family, friends, work contacts)have said to me they’ll be boycotting Ryanair for life after the despicable carry on of Ryanair over the last year.
    You keep pushing this. You are on record here of being anti Low-Cost Carriers on environmental grounds. I challenged you on it previously. You are not sincere. You don't want anyone using the services of LCCs, not just Ryanair. You resent that the great unwashed can afford to holiday somewhere where the sun shines at an affordable price.

• Advertisement

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    I would love O Leary to be Minister for Health or head of HSE, he'd save Ireland billions.

Yeah, by making clerical officers etc redundant and contracting out their gigs to folk on €10/hour.......... get rid of fnck loads of middle management etc etc etc.
    Anyone could do that but the sh1t storm would be unbelievable and the yellow vest brigade would be frothing at the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Amy evidence on your last point?

Yes on the last point, transmission through contact carry is proven.

Transmission from you breathing is not and unlikely to be - but that is as yet unconfirmed - after a vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Fantastic by O'Leary, RTE, Tony Holohan, and NPHET all deserve to be called out for the terrible jobs they have been doing.

Ha, don’t think so.

He’d set a record for the number of all out strikes within his first week as minister. Can just imagine the attention seeking “sound bites” he’d be whittering on with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

And kill millions

Can you imagine the self pity and self indulgent warblings from O’Leary if he had a bad dose of covid.
    Is that you wishing ill upon someone?

Multipass wrote: »
    Probably not, but I feel better knowing that someone is fighting for it.

Sk you are for supporting (maybe voting) people who make vague promises which you know they can't keep

Amy evidence on your last point?

On the phone but as soon as I can I will get it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,365 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Multiple numbers of that will cotinue to use the service when things get back on track, but you and your buddies fire ahead and spend extra money if you want.

• Advertisement

Ha, don’t think so.

He’d set a record for the number of all out strikes within his first week as minister. Can just imagine the attention seeking “sound bites” he’d be whittering on with.

So you'd prefer Donnelly and Reid to continue to preside over our hideously inefficient health system? Right...(I'm talking pre and post Covid here)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement