Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,885 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Macdarack wrote:
    Aww, maybe you'd like him to fight another elite fighter, maybe Cowboy again , just to get his fan boys back on the wagon and pretend he's top fighter.
    I'm sure that's what Dana White wants. I don't think it's what fans want.
    McGregor is the biggest name in the history of MMA.
    That doesn't mean he's the best or even close just simply that he transcended the sport and people love watching him fight whether they love or hate him.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Physicskid9

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm sure that's what Dana White wants. I don't think it's what fans want.
    McGregor is the biggest name in the history of MMA.
    That doesn't mean he's the best or even close just simply that he transcended the sport and people love watching him fight whether they love or hate him.

I honestly don't think he's such a draw now tbh. I think it's possible for him to come back and be a top 3 lightweight but he needs a win to build momentum and the problem is that there are no easy fights in that top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

You think he's not a top fighter?

He's out of his league bud. Where was the show he was putting on while feeling the best he's ever been, his fight IQ? He's a spent force from 145 short arses.

Macdarack wrote: »
    He's out of his league bud. Where was the show he was putting on while feeling the best he's ever been, his fight IQ? He's a spent force from 145 short arses.

Stop talking boll**. I love this narrative of fighting smaller guys at 145, as if he was the only fella who knew how to cut weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Stop talking boll**. I love this narrative of fighting smaller guys at 145, as if he was the only fella who knew how to cut weight.

He knew how to cut weight alright,
    He looks like he needs change for a hostel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I honestly don't think he's such a draw now tbh.

1.6m PPV buyers would disagree with you!

Saturday's event was the 3rd highest selling UFC event of all time*

• Registered Users Posts: 39,170 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dustin is a massive light weight its reported he weighed more on fight night v Hooker (183lbs) than Masvidal & Usman did in the cage for there welter weight title fight (182) ,
    Fighters weights in the media should be taken with a pinch of salt.
    But Dustin is a huge 155er, but would be surprised if he was bigger than Masvidal or Usman. Diaz was 180 at WW verses Pettis FWIW.
    rob316 wrote: »
    I still think his cardio is a major problem, talk about his leg, but he was blowing hard at the end of first round...
    I don;t think there was anything unusual about he fatigue at the end on rd 1. I think people are seeing what thy expect to see. Dustin was blowing just as much.
    froog wrote: »
    i mean they don't have MMA coaches really. kavanagh is BJJ, roddy is a striking coach and i'm sure he's a good guy but is he really a top level MMA striking coach? they have a wrestler fella. where are the high level all round MMA coaches in that camp?
    Who do you consider to be top MMA coaches?

Most top coaches, of the first/second generation could probably be categorise as more bias to one discipline. With the exception of the new generation of retired fighters who where exclusively mma
    He had a good run especially at FW but since his move to LW he's been quite average, last night he seemed gassed after a round had no game plan beyond trying to land the left hand.
    Average? Losing to the no.1 guy in the division is hardly the definition of average.
    I honestly don't think he's such a draw now tbh.
    The fact that you (and all the others) are randomly posting here proves he is a draw.

Mellor wrote: »
    But Dustin is a huge 155er, but would be surprised if he was bigger than Masvidal or Usman. Diaz was 180 at WW verses Pettis FWIW.

I don;t think there was anything unusual about he fatigue at the end on rd 1. I think people are seeing what thy expect to see. Dustin was blowing just as much.

Most top coaches, of the first/second generation could probably be categorise as more bias to one discipline. With the exception of the new generation of retired fighters who where exclusively mma

Average? Losing to the no.1 guy in the division is hardly the definition of average.

The fact that you (and all the others) are randomly posting here proves he is a draw.

I agree with you on all points, if you go back you'll notice I've said similar, for example his "average" performance where he won the LW belt. I disagree with him being as big a draw as he was though after this loss.

I disagree with him being as big a draw as he was though after this loss.
    I think his next fight would still sell 1m+. Which would make him one of the bigger draws in the UFC still. I think there are only a few that could do similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

really hope this isnt the case BJ Penn has openly used Fighting as a way to keep him on the straight and narrow and look at him taking losses, woeful damage and still going off the deep end in his personal life.

Hopefully he can find something else to fulfill him, genuinely think he would be the best coach in ireland if he wanted. His fight iq is high just a pity you cant coach yourself

That's a good point. It would be sad to see him going that way, but he's not there yet. It's not like there are championship level fighters, BJ Penn, and nothing in between (not that you're saying that).
    Maybe the kids will keep him on the straight and narrow, who knows.
    I can't see Conor turning up just for a beating each time like BJ. The Poirier loss wasn't one you could say there's no way he turns that around, but he'll need to decide if he's all in. If he's not, either retire, or have some fun fights, and stop calling out Khabib.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,651 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

There is loads of picture of Masvidal and Dustin together (they are team mates and Dustin looks thicker, ) Didn't Masvidal fight at lightweight for a while himself I could be wrong ,

There is loads of picture of Masvidal and Dustin together (they are team mates and Dustin looks thicker, ) Didn't Masvidal fight at lightweight for a while himself I could be wrong ,

Yup. Back in around 2015. When Dustin was a FW.

Yup. Back in around 2015. When Dustin was a FW.

A lightweight couldn't be bigger than a welterweight

• Registered Users Posts: 19,925 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Problem for Conor his schtick isnt nearly as interesting when he isnt winning, next fight is important, needs to look good winning imo

A lightweight couldn't be bigger than a welterweight

Why not ? of course they could be a naturally bigger man and just cut more weight,

Look at Rumble when he fought at WW he was a bigger man than a whole host of MW's

Gunni Nelson has also fought at WW because doesn't like to cut weight I'm sure plenty of lightweight are naturally bigger than him ,

Masvidal is 36 Dustin is 31 maybe Dustin feels more comfortable cutting weight than Masvidal does,

Look at Conor himself when he was feather weight champion Frankie Edgar was a light weight, In no world is Frankie a bigger man than Conor ,

• Registered Users Posts: 55,106 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Why not ? of course they could be a naturally bigger man and just cut more weight,

Look at Rumble when he fought at WW he was a bigger man than a whole host of MW's

Gunni Nelson has also fought at WW because doesn't like to cut weight I'm sure plenty of lightweight are naturally bigger than him ,

Masvidal is 36 Dustin is 31 maybe Dustin feels more comfortable cutting weight than Masvidal does,

Look at Conor himself when he was feather weight champion Frankie Edgar was a light weight, In no world is Frankie a bigger man than Conor ,

Good points

All these lads are similar in size around the same height range and body build....

It's never an exact science when all is considered, including their abilities and desires and desperation to make weights....

Walk around weight seems to get bandied about a lot as some sort of proof as to why one man is naturally bigger than another

But, even athletes can walk around out of shape, fat, carrying excess lbs.....

Take three lads....

Dustin/Conor and Khabib....

They are all very similarly sized and built....

They belong 155-165 type fighter range.....

Khabib does cut a lot, but Conor and Dustin need to as well...

I suppose, in a nutshell, juts because one man fights in a heavier weight class than other does not always mean he is naturally bigger

Khabib and Masvidal, for example: Nobody is telling me that Masvidal is naturally bigger.....both are very close/similar

And there is the questin of what exacly does bigger mean?

Is it purely how much a person weighs? There can be a lot more to it than that....many other measurement types

walshb wrote: »
    Good points

All these lads are similar in size around the same height range and body build....

It's never an exact science when all is considered, including their abilities and desires and desperation to make weights....

Walk around weight seems to get bandied about a lot as some sort of proof as to why one man is naturally bigger than another

But, even athletes can walk around out of shape, fat, carrying excess lbs.....

Take three lads....

Dustin/Conor and Khabib....

They are all very similarly sized and built....

They belong 155-165 type fighter range.....

Khabib does cut a lot, but Conor and Dustin need to as well...

I suppose, in a nutshell, juts because one man fights in a heavier weight class than other does not always mean he is naturally bigger

Khabib and Masvidal, for example: Nobody is telling me that Masvidal is naturally bigger.....both are very close/similar

And there is the questin of what exacly does bigger mean?

Is it purely how much a person weighs? There can be a lot more to it than that....many other measurement types

Id argue Conor is the smallest man out of the 3,
    I think Khabib and Dustin are much thicker men than Conor,
    khabib has had a lot of difficulty making 155 something Conor never had

It makes a huge difference in terms of taking shots and the pressure you can impose on someone , Conor can not just blow people away with the left hand at 155 like he could at 145 , bigger men can make him use more energy and don't let him fight at range,

Same reason Khabib won't go near welter weight cause he will be undersized to use his style , He must be the only current champion hasn't wanted to go up for a title shot, People call him the GOAT and put him on top of the pound for pound yet the weight advantage he is something he is not willing to give up ,

Could you imagine the stick Conor would have got if he stayed at feather weight ,

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭barryribs

People call him the GOAT and put him on top of the pound for pound yet the weight advantage he is something he is not willing to give up ,

What weight advantage?

barryribs wrote: »
    What weight advantage?

Sorry not weight but size and strength,
    Its quite clear Khabib style is based around being able to bully and over whelm his opponents granted there is a lot of skill involved as well ,

But in the age of Champ Champs and talk of being GOAT he hasn't gone anywhere near the welter weight division because its stacked with bigger stronger grapplers he is no fool is it a coincidence his toughest fight came against an absolute massive Tibau ,,

In this day and age every other champ has gone up or wants to go up , why not Khabib ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Id argue Conor is the smallest man out of the 3,
    I think Khabib and Dustin are much thicker men than Conor,
    khabib has had a lot of difficulty making 155 something Conor never had

It makes a huge difference in terms of taking shots and the pressure you can impose on someone , Conor can not just blow people away with the left hand at 155 like he could at 145 , bigger men can make him use more energy and don't let him fight at range,

Same reason Khabib won't go near welter weight cause he will be undersized to use his style , He must be the only current champion hasn't wanted to go up for a title shot, People call him the GOAT and put him on top of the pound for pound yet the weight advantage he is something he is not willing to give up ,

Could you imagine the stick Conor would have got if he stayed at feather weight ,

Daniel Cormier nailed it in a pre interview. Paraphrasing here. "Conor is a little guy who built himself up. Dustin's a big guy cutting down"

• Advertisement

Daniel Cormier nailed it in a pre interview. Paraphrasing here. "Conor is a little guy who built himself up. Dustin's a big guy cutting down"

So true but a lot of people never put 2 & 2 together,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭xtal191

I remember seeing a tweet recently, cant find it or remember where now but it had recent fight night weights of some lightweight fights. Supposedly Poirier was one of the heaviest of them all and Khabib was a few lbs lighter, both in the high 170s, Gaethje was one of the lightest in the 160s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭xtal191

What weight advantage?

Fight night in the ring/cage weight advantage

Or, it may be a disadvantage...

There seems to be this theory that the heavier fighter in the ring has an advantage..

That is not necessarily true.....a weight gain between weigh-in and fight time should be a very thought out and deliberate process...

The extra weight gained could make one man that bit slower, more cumbersome, not as nifty on his feet....that's just one take...

There is also the area of how the body reacts to gaining a large amount of weight in such a short time....it can have negative effects on performance, mood, feeling, energy etc..

Take a man who makes 155 lbs, and 30 hrs later is 178 lbs, which I am sure has happened....Dustin reportedly gained 28 lbs

I mean break that down...how can it be justified and explained, other than gorging?

Let's say he ingested 5-6 liters of water in the 30 hrs which would a fair lot, that is 11-13 lbs....

And ingest 5-6 lbs of food, which would be a decent amount food in 30 hours.....now, subtract 2-3-4 lbs for sleep and walking around weight loss....

In 30 hours we could shed 3-4 lbs easily

Net weight gain is around 15 lbs.....that is still a good lot......

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭barryribs

There seems to be this theory that the heavier fighter in the ring has an advantage..

That is not necessarily true.....a weight gain between weigh-in and fight time should be a very thought out and deliberate process...

The extra weight gained could make one man that bit slower, more cumbersome, not as nifty on his feet....that's just one take...

There is also the area of how the body reacts to gaining a large amount of weight in such a short time....it can have negative effects on performance, mood, feeling, energy etc..

Take a man who makes 155 lbs, and 30 hrs later is 178 lbs, which I am sure has happened....Dustin reportedly gained 28 lbs

I mean break that down...how can it be justified and explained, other than gorging?

Let's say he ingested 5-6 liters of water in the 30 hrs which would a fair lot, that is 11-13 lbs....

And ingest 5-6 lbs of food, which would be a decent amount food in 30 hours.....now, subtract 2-3-4 lbs for sleep and walking around weight loss....

I'm not sure of the point exactly, couldn't Conor do the exact same thing? The rules are the same for everyone, hit the weight on the thursday or friday and you can weigh whatever you like in there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

McGregor vs Poirier Thread Closed - any discussion can continue here. MMA talk only folks as per the thread title...keep on topic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You are under estimating the water weight they cut. Most of the weight cut would be water. If they are putting on 30lbs between weigh ins and the fight then most of that weight will be water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I'm not sure of the point exactly, couldn't Conor do the exact same thing? The rules are the same for everyone, hit the weight on the thursday or friday and you can weigh whatever you like in there.
    Think he's more getting at the possible discrepancy between fight night weights. Not everyone puts on the same amount after a weight cut.
    Still, I wouldn't imagine the difference was huge, probably a few lbs at most. Poirier has a thicker/stockier torso compared to McGregor, so probably looked a lot bigger because of it.

You are under estimating the water weight they cut. Most of the weight cut would be water. If they are putting on 30lbs between weigh ins and the fight then most of that weight will be water.

I am aware that most is water

But is 20 or so lbs of water really needed in 30 hours?

Dustin's alleged 28 lbs gain seems a bit ridiculous.....had to be gorging for the sake of it..

I am sure a fair deal of food gorging also happens....

They are hungry and thirsty lads...

No matter what way it is broken down, 20-25 lbs weight gain in 30 hours seems excessive for 155 lbs fighters

• Advertisement

I have no specific point

I was just giving my take and observations and views on weigh-in vs fight weight...

And how a heavier in the cage fighter doesn't necessarily mean he then has an advatange...

Advertisement