Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Anybody see kavanaghs interview with ariel?

He seemed to be in denial. Doesnt think Conor was ko'd, his cardio is fine, doesn't need to change anything except calf kick preparation.

It's kinda weird, they should honestly work in marketing. We will have the antidote for leg kicks next time round! Saying him not being tired after one round was a celebration or something. Was really bizarre.

Think it was some comedian who said McGregor is the best marketer ever, he convinced people that Khabib didn't beat the cr*p out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Dont think it was a stamina issue on the weekend. Not unusual to breathe heavy after a round.
    I watched the finish again and Dustin lands two monster lefts straight to the jaw in the flurry and the clips him with a real crisp right bang on the jaw in his way down.
    The calf kicks allowed him get into that position.

My worry after rd 1, even though conor edged the round , was that he did hit Dustin with a couple nice shots and Dustin eat them well. Dustin said afterward s they hurt him but they still didn't knock off his stride. In the past those kind of hits were the beginning of the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Conors stamina issues didnt arise in this fight. He didnt even take to the stool after the first round. Due to the calf kicks he was as he often calls other fighters '' stuck in the mud''. Dustin spotted this and went all in. It really is amazing leg kicks are not utilised more with fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,635 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Dont think it was a stamina issue on the weekend. Not unusual to breathe heavy after a round.
    I watched the finish again and Dustin lands two monster lefts straight to the jaw in the flurry and the clips him with a real crisp right bang on the jaw in his way down.

My worry after rd 1, even though conor edged the round , was that he did hit Dustin with a couple nice shots and Dustin eat them well. Dustin said afterward s they hurt him but they still didn't knock off his stride. In the past those kind of hits were the beginning of the end.

Dustin also said he didn't follow up. In previous fights he followed up after a half decent shot. The combo vs Alvarez for example. He just threw 1-2 jabs at the weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

Nah connor is done. You’re never gonna see him as he was back in 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Physicskid9

Conors stamina issues didnt arise in this fight. He didnt even take to the stool after the first round. Due to the calf kicks he was as he often calls other fighters '' stuck in the mud''. Dustin spotted this and went all in. It really is amazing leg kicks are not utilised more with fighters.

They're an excellent weapon but it only takes one or two solid checks by the opponent to damage the kickers foot/shin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The Nal wrote: »
    Dustin also said he didn't follow up. In previous fights he followed up after a half decent shot. The combo vs Alvarez for example. He just threw 1-2 jabs at the weekend.
    I found that strange. He tagged him at least twice where it shook him a bit, but no follow up, he just let him recover and carried on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,635 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I found that strange. He tagged him at least twice where it shook him a bit, but no follow up, he just let him recover and carried on.

I guess he was wary of the takedown. Poirier took him down in R1 by ducking a left jab.

Poiriers (Mike Browns) tactics were so spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,651 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

They're an excellent weapon but it only takes one or two solid checks by the opponent to damage the kickers foot/shin.

Exactly this ,
    Remember its a sport not many have tried they don't understand that you can injury yourself doing it,
    Slamming you own shin into someone's else legs isn't always pleasant for the thrower, Anderson Silva says hello.

Sure Conor himself ended up on crutches after he kicked Diaz leg so often

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I felt his stance was all wrong in the fight too. He's leaned so heavily into the boxing that his range finding is almost non existent. He hit DP with some nice shots, but Dustin isn't exactly known for his stellar defence. It's not a major achievement to crack him, but credit to Dustin for taking it well.

He's almost become a bit like Nate Diaz with how heavy he leans on the lead leg. It's interesting how the same tactic of chopping the leg worked so effectively against Nate but no one in his camp could foresee it happening to him.

• Advertisement

I felt his stance was all wrong in the fight too. He's leaned so heavily into the boxing that his range finding is almost non existent. He hit DP with some nice shots, but Dustin isn't exactly known for his stellar defence. It's not a major achievement to crack him, but credit to Dustin for taking it well.

He's almost become a bit like Nate Diaz with how heavy he leans on the lead leg. It's interesting how the same tactic of chopping the leg worked so effectively against Nate but no one in his camp could foresee it happening to him.

especially in a southpaw v southpaw fight, where both stances are the same. I think they totally underestimated Dustin.

The Nal wrote: »

Wonder if that's a sign of him lacking a bit of venom, the ol killer instinct?

I like that he's dropped all the trash talk stuff, but he's almost gone too far the other side. Promoting Dustin's hot sauce etc.

Also, it could have just been hype talk before the fight too, but he was talking about taking the fight deep, just because he could. If that was actually true then it is a major case of overconfidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,096 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Far too much is being made of the contrived trash talking and the contrived nicey nicey nonsense

Conor went in there to KO Dustin, and had no fear, and was hellbent on taking him out.....

He was simply not good enough...

He won round 1, but allowed Dustin to land too frequently on the lead leg, which made him less mobile, he then gets clipped, wobbled, and cannot avoid the follow up, and cannot take the follow up

There is not much more to it....But it has zero to do with prefight behaviors as regards how the two men interacted....

walshb wrote: »
    Far too much is being made of the contrived trash talking and the contrived nicey nicey nonsense

Conor went in there to KO Dustin, and had no fear, and was hellbent on taking him out.....

He was simply not good enough...

He won round 1, but allowed Dustin to land too frequently on the lead leg, which made him less mobile, he then gets clipped, wobbled, and cannot avoid the follow up, and cannot take the follow up

There is not much note to it....But it has zero to do with prefight behaviors as regards how the two men interacted....

They all think they're psychologists too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,007 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If you can survive the 1st round with him, your chances of winning massively improve, he just fades so quickly in the 2nd round. Saying that though in the later rounds of his Diaz and Khabib fights he did find a second wind and won rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Homelander

What's actually interesting is that Dustin said back in 2014 Conor really got inside his head and messed with him bad just before their fight.
    “I’ve always been an emotional fighter and that emotion fueled a lot of my early performances,” Poirier told FloCombat. “I would get angry because I’m about to step in there and go toe-to-toe with someone who is trying to hurt me just like I intend to hurt them, and that energy shifts gears into that kill or be killed mindset.

“I always saw it as a plus but the Conor [McGregor] fight was the turning point. I remember I was backstage getting ready to walk out and I saw him and he threw this smile and pointed at me. I don’t know why but it really got to me, man. It really messed with my head. I mean I’m about to go out and fight this dude and he’s back there smiling at me? After that fight I knew I had to find a different way to use my emotion.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

It's over for him. The years of abusing his body not developing his skills focusing on other activities and not to mention his heart doesn't seem in it anymore. He had a good run especially at FW but since his move to LW he's been quite average, last night he seemed gassed after a round had no game plan beyond trying to land the left hand.

He should retire before he embarrasses himself and the country further. I was delighted he lost, he can try rebrand himself but we all know the kind of person he is, back to selling **** whiskey and hitting auld lads for him.

It's over for him. The years of abusing his body not developing his skills focusing on other activities and not to mention his heart doesn't seem in it anymore. He had a good run especially at FW but since his move to LW he's been quite average, last night he seemed gassed after a round had no game plan beyond trying to land the left hand.

He should retire before he embarrasses himself and the country further. I was delighted he lost, he can try rebrand himself but we all know the kind of person he is, back to selling **** whiskey and hitting auld lads for him.

What are you talking about abusing his body?? He's forever training. Even when he wasn't active he was in great shape.

His performance against Eddie Alvarez was far from average.. you know the one where he won the belt. His only other two losses come against the top lightweights in the world after a streak of inactivity. I think if he wants it badly enough he can make the necessary adjustments and give Porier and even Khabib a whole lot of trouble.

I don't usually talk about fighters lives outside of fighting but what about his advocacy for the LGBT community, numerous donations to charities, purchase of ppe, support for lockdowns and NEPHT. There is no doubt he's made a lot of bad decisions and done some very bad things but he's also done some very admirable things and I do think he's not a bad guy beneath it all.

Your final sentence just shows that you dislike him and you're projecting that into your analysis of his performance.

What are you talking about abusing his body?? He's forever training. Even when he wasn't active he was in great shape.

His performance against Eddie Alvarez was far from average.. you know the one where he won the belt. His only other two losses come against the top lightweights in the world after a streak of inactivity. I think if he wants it badly enough he can make the necessary adjustments and give Porier and even Khabib a whole lot of trouble.

I don't usually talk about fighters lives outside of fighting but what about his advocacy for the LGBT community, numerous donations to charities, purchase of ppe, support for lockdowns and NEPHT. There is no doubt he's made a lot of bad decisions and done some very bad things but he's also done some very admirable things and I do think he's not a bad guy beneath it all.

Your final sentence just shows that you dislike him and you're projecting that into your analysis of his performance.

There are videos of him on yokes/coke. Even without the reports of his alcoholism, he’s definitely pushing it.

Training and nutrition are top notch yes, but count how many punches to the head he’s taken and tell me he’s not pushing the limit.

His body is breaking down. Thats normal for an athelete his caliber.

There are videos of him on yokes/coke. Even without the reports of his alcoholism, he’s definitely pushing it.

Training and nutrition are top notch yes, but count how many punches to the head he’s taken and tell me he’s not pushing the limit.

His body is breaking down. Thats normal for an athelete his caliber.

I've never seen any videos of him taking drugs?

Are you joking? He's taken feck all damage in the cage compare to many professional fighters. He's been criticised for being the big duck in a small pond in SBG so I doubt he's taking a whole lot of punishment in there ether. No doubt he's taken punishment but I'd say very little in comparison to most fighters.

• Advertisement

I've never seen any videos of him taking drugs?

Are you joking? He's taken feck all damage in the cage compare to many professional fighters. He's been criticised for being the big duck in a small pond in SBG so I doubt he's taking a whole lot of punishment in there ether. No doubt he's taken punishment but I'd say very little in comparison to most fighters.
    Do you know ‘very little punishment’ in high level MMA means?

Heres an idea. Try to take every punch to the head, every injury and every broken tendon McGregor’s gotten in the cage and in training. Then come back to the real world and tell me what ‘very little punishment’ means

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Heres an idea. Try to take every punch to the head, every injury and every broken tendon McGregor’s gotten in the cage and in training. Then come back to the real world and tell me what ‘very little punishment’ means

For an MMA fighter it's very little damage. It's all relative.

You don't break tendons, do you even know what a tendon does? Don't try and lecture me about anatomy, neuroscience or injuries because I can guarantee you that you will come up very short.

You don't break tendons, do you even know what a tendon does? Don't try and lecture me about anatomy, neuroscience or injuries because I can guarantee you that you will come up very short.

Oh lord who the hell cares. Get your skull cracked like McGregor and come back here to tell us how its 'minimal punishment'

For an MMA fighter it's very little damage. It's all relative.

At this stage a deep brain scan of McGregor might be needed. He's slower and less explosive. CNS issues are very common in this game.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1582096-new-research-shows-mma-fighters-have-higher-risk-of-brain-damage

At this stage a deep brain scan of McGregor might be needed. He's slower and less explosive. CNS issues are very common in this game.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1582096-new-research-shows-mma-fighters-have-higher-risk-of-brain-damage

The only scan that's possibly needed is one of his leg! You get your front leg chewed up and then tell me it has no impact on your mobility and ability to generate power with your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

The only scan that's possibly needed is one of his leg! You get your front leg chewed up and then tell me it has no impact on your mobility and ability to generate power with your hands.

His leg was so chewed up he threw 5 kicks in the second round off it.
    I hope he keeps fight for years, I love seeing him get the head bate of him. As for anyone who says if you stand and trade with him you'll lose, Diaz 1 he stood and traded. Got rocked badly took a load of flakes to the head which led him to that awful take down attempt and got his neck rung. That was 5 years ago btw

Macdarack wrote: »
    His leg was so chewed up he threw 5 kicks in the second round off it.
    I hope he keeps fight for years, I love seeing him get the head bate of him. As for anyone who says if you stand and trade with him you'll lose, Diaz 1 he stood and traded. Got rocked badly took a load of flakes to the head which led him to that awful take down attempt and got his neck rung. That was 5 years ago btw

Go away back to watching The Premiership you haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Go away back to watching The Premiership you haven't a clue.

Aww, maybe you'd like him to fight another elite fighter, maybe Cowboy again , just to get his fan boys back on the wagon and pretend he's top fighter.

• Advertisement

Macdarack wrote: »
    Aww, maybe you'd like him to fight another elite fighter, maybe Cowboy again , just to get his fan boys back on the wagon and pretend he's top fighter.

You think he's not a top fighter?

Advertisement