Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

Does anyone here really think McGregor can beat Pacquiao?

Or is this another cynical cash-grab like the Mayweather fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,099 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Does anyone here really think McGregor can beat Pacquiao?

Or is this another cynical cash-grab like the Mayweather fight?

Please...stop!!!!!!

You can bet there will be McGregor nuts that will either believe that he can, or believe that McGregor believes he can....

Conor never believed he’d beat Floyd, but he fooled many into them believing.

Pure spoof!

walshb wrote: »
    Please...stop!!!!!!

You can bet there will be McGregor nuts that will either believe that he can, or believe that McGregor believes he can....

Conor never believed he’d beat Floyd, but he fooled many into them believing.

Pure spoof!

For tens of millions can you blame him?

For tens of millions can you blame him?

Not at all..

He knew there were millions out there that would buy into the fight and the believing it possible..

I bought the fight..

And, it was Floyd IMO that came out the real loser. Having to take ten rds to get the job done!!!

There were countless boxing fans making out it was some sort of result and vindication..

Yeh right. So called TBE taking ten rds to finally get a compete novice out of there, that any boxer who went for it would have gotten the job done in no time.

Not at all..

He knew there were millions out there that would buy into the fight and the believing it possible..

I bought the fight..

And, it was Floyd IMO that came out the real loser. Having to take ten rds to get the job done!!!

There were countless boxing fans making out it was some sort of result and vindication..

Yeh right. So called TBE taking ten rds to finally get a compete novice out of there, that any boxer who went for it would have gotten the job done in no time.

All of Mayweather's bouts take 10 rounds or more man. Its his M.O as the most defensive boxer out there. He's a point scorer.

What was pathetic though, was seeing the UFC's most aggressive Striker get chased around by boxing's most defensive.

• Advertisement

All of Mayweather's bouts take 10 rounds or more man. Its his M.O as the most defensive boxer out there. He's a point scorer.

What was pathetic though, was seeing the UFC's most aggressive Striker get chased around by boxing's most defensive.

Well,

One was a career pro boxer claiming to be best ever

The other, a complete novice chancing his arm.

So slice it whatever way you want, Floyd was the embarrassments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Well,

One was a career pro boxer claiming to be best ever

The other, a complete novice chancing his arm.

So slice it whatever way you want, Floyd was the embarrassments

Actually it was a tactic by Floyd.

He barely threw anything in the first four rounds.

People thought mcgregor was winning.

Roddy and John were licking their lips in the corner between rounds thinking they were beating the best boxer in the world.

Then Connor gassed and Floyd put on a spectacle for the fans. It was his most enjoyable fight for a lint time . He had no respect for mcgregors power and walked him down for six rounds wearing him down comfortably until he got the TKO. He barely broke a sweat . If he was more spiteful he’d have finished him sooner but he also gave the fans value for money, which is really what it was about after the farce of the Pacquaio fight. McGregor truly had no chance. Canelo Alvarez would blow Connor’s head all the way out of Vegas in one round.

As for SBG, John said today they were shocked by the leg kicks. Anyone who watches MMA knows the low calf kick has been the in voque technique for at least the last 18 months, it happens one fight an event where some keeps chopping away at a calf. Shocking. They are out of touch with the sport and out of their depth as his coaching staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

If Conor comes back, i don't think it will be because he has the hunger back. I wouldn't be surprised if its the only way to keep some stability and focus in life.

I don't exactly love my job, but it helps keep my life on track. I'd probably fall in to some bad habits if i didn't have it (terrible eating and sleeping patterns). With the temptations all around Conor, this might be one of the things that keeps him on the straight and narrow. Even if he's not the champ, he'll be competing, keeping fit, and keeping occupied. Compare that to the Conor between 2016 and 2020.

derfderf wrote: »
    If Conor comes back, i don't think it will be because he has the hunger back. I wouldn't be surprised if its the only way to keep some stability and focus in life.

I don't exactly love my job, but it helps keep my life on track. I'd probably fall in to some bad habits if i didn't have it (terrible eating and sleeping patterns). With the temptations all around Conor, this might be one of the things that keeps him on the straight and narrow. Even if he's not the champ, he'll be competing, keeping fit, and keeping occupied. Compare that to the Conor between 2016 and 2020.

The truth is, fighters have a limited shelf life. If you've taken the kind of damage as Conor has theres just no going back to who you were in your prime. Its well documented that boxers or any sportsman that does high impact activities have lower gray matter brain mass, slower response times, lower creativity, ability to learn as they get to their mid 30s. Generally you're killing your brain.

It happened to Muhammad Ali. It happened to Tony Ferguson. And McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The truth is, fighters have a limited shelf life. If you've taken the kind of damage as Conor has theres just no going back to who you were in your prime. Its well documented that boxers or any sportsman that does high impact activities have lower gray matter brain mass, slower response times, lower creativity, ability to learn as they get to their mid 30s. Generally you're killing your brain.

It happened to Muhammad Ali. It happened to Tony Ferguson. And McGregor.

Chuck :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

On ariel and dc. Ariel said Dustin felt conors punching power and felt he could take it and Dc said khabib said the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭fitzparker

It was never about the power, it was the accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Porthallian

fitzparker wrote: »
    It was never about the power, it was the accuracy.

More importantly it was at a smaller weight class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

dave1982 wrote: »
    On ariel and dc. Ariel said Dustin felt conors punching power and felt he could take it and Dc said khabib said the same

Conors punching power nothing to do with how fight played out. In fact Dustin showed alot of respect for Conors striking up until last few moments where he noticed Conor was compromised. He said after the fight his left hand was very powerful and even admitted he got hurt, I think it was the counter left in round 2 at 4:10, Dustins body and arms went weird for a second but Conor didn't take advantage... he never does for some reason, always gives time for opponents to recover after landing something good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,651 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

dave1982 wrote: »

The key difference in this fight and the first one, SIZE

Dustin is a massive light weight its reported he weighed more on fight night v Hooker (183lbs) than Masvidal & Usman did in the cage for there welter weight title fight (182) ,

Khabib himself use's his size to his advantage struggles to make lightweight and in its no coincidence in the age of double champs that he has no interest going up to welter weight, Is it coincidence Khabib worst performance was against Tibau who was absolute massive for the weight

Size matters ,

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

The more i think about it the more a change of camp will do him good, just listen to the way his coaches talk about him and promote him on social media they are more like his cheers leaders. Even Sutcliffe in his Robe on Ariels show was cringeworthy.

they all look up to him to much to coach him. I seriously doubt Anyone is pointing out his flaws.

Even kavanagh this week saying he has never taken a kick on the shin without a pad on ? how do you condition your legs like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

derfderf wrote: »

really hope this isnt the case BJ Penn has openly used Fighting as a way to keep him on the straight and narrow and look at him taking losses, woeful damage and still going off the deep end in his personal life.

Hopefully he can find something else to fulfill him, genuinely think he would be the best coach in ireland if he wanted. His fight iq is high just a pity you cant coach yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Dustin is a massive light weight its reported he weighed more on fight night v Hooker (183lbs) than Masvidal & Usman did in the cage for there welter weight title fight (182) ,

Khabib himself use's his size to his advantage struggles to make lightweight and in its no coincidence in the age of double champs that he has no interest going up to welter weight, Is it coincidence Khabib worst performance was against Tibau who was absolute massive for the weight

Size matters ,
    Of course sorry I should have made it clear. His power doesn't seem to be as effective a lw

• Registered Users Posts: 18,007 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I still think his cardio is a major problem, talk about his leg, but he was blowing hard at the end of first round and when Dustin caught him, it wasn't the power that finished him, to me he looked absolutely exhausted and couldn't defend himself. He struggles badly if he doesn't finish you in the first round.

Its embarrassingly bad his stamina.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

rob316 wrote: »
    I still think his cardio is a major problem, talk about his leg, but he was blowing hard at the end of first round and when Dustin caught him, it wasn't the power that finished him, to me he looked absolutely exhausted and couldn't defend himself. He struggles badly if he doesn't finish you in the first round.

Yeah that flurry up against the cage, he generally does well in those situations but it seems to take alot out of him ............it's very poor really

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

rob316 wrote: »

Dustin was breathing just as heavy after the first round if not more. Watch the second round again. He was throwing big shots in the second round and didn't look tired. He was also ducking and weaving up until he went down. Maybe he does have cardio issues but there is nothing we seen in this fight that suggests he does.

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Yeah that flurry up against the cage, he generally does well in those situations but it seems to take alot out of him ............it's very poor really

I dont think it was his stamina, he didn't seem ready to deal with the flurry and the sore leg on top of that just pushed him into quit mode. Not enough fighting recently and probably not pushed enough in training to be comfortable in that kind of situation as partners too scared to hurt him. He done a panic takedown attempt same as Diaz 1 and paid for it badly this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Size matters ,

Hes kind of a in a weird position now. Too small for lw and too big for fw.

In hindsight he should never have moved up permanently, only for stylistically suited marquee matches - like alvarez .

The extra weight really seems to impede his speed, power,movement and cardio.

Anybody see kavanaghs interview with ariel?

He seemed to be in denial. Doesnt think Conor was ko'd, his cardio is fine, doesn't need to change anything except calf kick preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He's not too small for LW..
    LW is his ideal weight if weight cutting continues to be a thing. He was a LW fighting at FW.

Anybody see kavanaghs interview with ariel?

He seemed to be in denial. Doesnt think Conor was ko'd, his cardio is fine, doesn't need to change anything except calf kick preparation.

Yeah, either it's damage control or he's in denial. Perhaps both.

Yeah, either it's damage control or he's in denial. Perhaps both.

SBGs record in any noteworthy fights the past few years is shocking. I'd say they are about 2-20 with 18 losses by stoppage.
    Coach Kavanagh needs to change the way hes training these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

spix wrote: »
    SBGs record in any noteworthy fights the past few years is shocking. I'd say they are about 2-20 with 18 losses by stoppage.

i mean they don't have MMA coaches really. kavanagh is BJJ, roddy is a striking coach and i'm sure he's a good guy but is he really a top level MMA striking coach? they have a wrestler fella. where are the high level all round MMA coaches in that camp?

Tazzimus wrote: »
    He's not too small for LW..
    LW is his ideal weight if weight cutting continues to be a thing. He was a LW fighting at FW.

6 and 0 at fw. Absolutely trashing everyone (beside mendes) and looked like a modern Bruce lee.

Fw is obviously his best weight class. Whether he can make the weight anymore is another thing..

• Advertisement

6 and 0 at fw. Absolutely trashing everyone (beside mendes) and looked like a modern Bruce lee.

Fw is obviously his best weight class. Whether he can make the weight anymore is another thing..

Whatever magic water they have in Brazil to allow Aldo to make 135, Barboza to make 145. Conor just needs some of that and would make 145 easy.

Advertisement