Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

xtal191 wrote: »
    I don't buy the inactivity excuse to be honest, plenty of fighters have had long lay offs and come back with impressive performances GSP, Cruz, Ortega off the top of my head, there's probably plenty more too

very hard to comeback from pics alone over the years there was a lot of coke ...helluva drug, greatness impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The Nal wrote: »
    Nothing to do with inactivity. He got kicked a few times in the leg meaning he couldn't stand up properly and then he got punched a few times in the face.

Lets not over complicate this.
    Thats a slight oversimplification of it.

And inactivity absolutely played a role in it. You can't expect to take on and beat the number 1 contender after a year layoff, following a long layoff before that as well, with a 40 second fight in between. That doesn't work at the top of the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Tazzimus wrote: »

And inactivity absolutely played a role in it. You can't expect to take on and beat the number 1 contender after a year layoff, following a long layoff before that as well, with a 40 second fight in between. That doesn't work at the top of the division.

He still would've got kicked in the leg though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

no, he'd prepared for it

I never said he wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭xtal191

Its exactly what Cruz did

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Jon Jones had many a long lay off and never lost a fight. GSP had 4 years off came back and won a belt. Dominic Cruz the sane.

Conors inactivity didn't seem to be a problem in the first round.. reality is Conor was beaten by the better man simple. His boxing style stance didn't help him either. Boxing has ruined him.

I said it played A role, not it was the reason he lost.
    Dustin came better prepared and implemented his strategy better, but Conor being so inactive was also a part of the reason he lost, as well as seemingly never having to deal with a calf kick before that fight.

Conor McGregor after a loss: "I make no excuses... but this is why I lost."

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Ballymun Bohs

The worst thing that could have happened to him recently is the Cowboy fight. Similar to when he fought up to Diaz the first time off the back of the Aldo fight, he thought he just had to turn up. He can talk all he wants about being in great physical condition (and that may be the case) but in my opinion He overlooked Poirier. He kept talking about looking "through" him, and the only realistic reason this fight came about is because he wanted practice fighting a southpaw before Manny. The problem was he turned up to box Poirier and Poirier turned up for an MMA fight, whilst simultaneously coming in with a stronger mindset and gameplan, it was a recipe for disaster for McGregor.

I can't help but feel the whole yacht/quarantee in the swanky hotel with all of his family (JK and his kid too) led to a somewhat "holiday" environment and atmosphere around the camp. Again all of this is just my opinion and it could all be bollox.

Having said all that, if he was to go back with right attitude, determination and mindset and properly prepare for an MMA fight and to properly use all his tools (especially his kicks which at the very least would help maintain distance making it harder to be kicked in return) I believe he could win a third fight against Poirier.

I've no doubt inactivity had to play some factor, but by no means was it the sole or overriding factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Just because some other guys came back well from a lay off doesnt mean it still isnt a factor. The same things dont apply to every fighter and every fight is different.

Tyson Fury saying this week it can 100% be a factor. These fights are often won and lost by the finest of margins. You lose a little pace or whatever and you are toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Attacking the leg has always been there against conor, he's very heavy on it, didn't Denis Sever put Conor on his hole with a leg kick and even Alveras stumbled him.

Take out the leg and all the movement is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Conor McGregor after a loss: "I make no excuses... but this is why I lost."
    You can state what happened, even the reason why, without trying to make an excuse. That's literally how anybody, at any level will assess a performance in a combat sport (prehaps any one on one). But the internet wants to deal in ridiculous extremes.

"No excuses. This is what happened, because blah blah blah"

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with that.
    That's a slight oversimplification of it.

It's definitely a simplification. But to me it feels more accurate than of the other gymnastics people are doing. Ultimately, we are speculating without intimate knowledge of his training for the last 12 months.

People expecting Conor to walk through Poirer as a layout fight are the same ones saying he is finished now.
    Poirer is a top fighter. When two top fighter face each other, one of them has to lose. Doesn't mean the loser is done.

Imagine if people had of said Dustin was done after he lost to Johnson. Or better yet, when he was in the top 5 at FW, and lost to "unproven in he top 10" McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

McGregor who lost is out on a yacht with his family enjoying his wealth, Dustin who won is back grinding in the gym. Just give it up Conor, the hunger is gone and enjoy your money. You'll get hurt with these savages

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

rob316 wrote: »
    McGregor who lost is out on a yacht with his family enjoying his wealth, Dustin who won is back grinding in the gym. Just give it up Conor, the hunger is gone and enjoy your money. You'll get hurt with these savages

What training do you want him to do on one leg?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

crane-kick-karate-kid.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

dashoonage wrote: »
    crane-kick-karate-kid.jpg

Fair

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Whelo79 wrote: »

Kavanagh said on Ariels show that Conor did a 1 hour upper body weights workout the morning after the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Kavanagh said on Ariels show that Conor did a 1 hour upper body weights workout the morning after the fight.

Have to get the pump going for the insta pics on the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭robwen

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK13ACrpSaz/

Some highlights from my last fight! What a trilogy I now have on my hands. Exciting!
    With a handle on the leg kicks I will get back to having fun in there. I was in second gear cruising this fight. Best condition I’ve ever been in. After the wrestling and clinch exchanges my shots still held their pop. First time for me with this so I am very encouraged to keep going. It was the first time I did not use/nor need the stool between rounds also. I did need the stool after tho that’s for sure. As well as to this day loads and loads of @tidlsport recovery spray. This stuff is truly magic by the way! All the swelling, bruising, and pain on my leg has literally vanished using it! Try this stuff if you are in pain or banged up. Doesn’t work? I’ll personally refund you. THIS STUFF IS MAGIC! @tidlsport! Plant based cryotherapy spray. FIRST AND ONLY ONE OF ITS KIND. Magic!
    I am extremely happy I did not need to use the stool between rounds here anyway. Another first for me! I am most certainly on the right path. Despite the loss I am on the correct path of evolution.
    Thoughts on the bout: I enjoyed racking up some more time inside the famed UFC Octagon. 40 seconds in 3 years is all I’d had up to this bout. I was savouring very second and enjoying my work. A little single disciplined in my approach and stance with mostly boxing. It’s what I get for picking this bout and opponent as a precursor to a boxing match against Pacman. I deserved to get the legs kicked off me going in with this thinking. This is not the game to play around with. Besides this tho my shots where sharp and I was in full control. Albeit the leg attacks where building up on me throughout the course. 18 in total thrown at me, with the final one buckling my leg fully, that was that. The peroneal nerve compromised. Fascinating! First time to experience it. Then a tremendous finishing flurry by my opponent. Hats off! A well fought fight by The Diamond. 1 a piece now with a Trilogy bout for all the marbles! Wow! Exciting! Not a trilogy I was expecting, nor the tactical affair I was anticipating, but I’d be lying if I said this wasn’t meant to be. This is exactly how this was always meant to be! Buzzing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

robwen wrote: »

Soon be buzzing for a half a dozen losses

• Registered Users Posts: 54,750 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I knew there would be more excuses..

That's some rant😀

• Registered Users Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

https://i.gifer.com/51O.gif

For all my cuts and bruises, I use tidlsport

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Poirier did a good job leaning/circling away from the left hand. Got caught a few times by right hands but McGregor was very slow to follow up.

A third fight could be an absolute war but Poirier will get stronger as the fight goes on and that could be the deciding factor

• Registered Users Posts: 54,750 ✭✭✭✭walshb

RoryMac wrote: »
    Poirier did a good job leaning/circling away from the left hand. Got caught a few times by right hands but McGregor was very slow to follow up.

A third fight could be an absolute war but Poirier will get stronger as the fight goes on and that could be the deciding factor

If Conor cannot take Poirier out in the first 5-8 minutes he has very little chance to win..

He is just not complete enough or fit enough for a hard fought sustained fight..

Whelo79 wrote: »

He said his tidl sport spray made his injuries vanish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

The rematch makes sense and doesn't make sense at the same time

I'm not making excuses but here's my list of excuses. I was the best shape I ever was.

If that's the best you ever were Dustin walked through ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

robwen wrote: »
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CK13ACrpSaz/

Some highlights from my last fight! What a trilogy I now have on my hands. Exciting!
    With a handle on the leg kicks I will get back to having fun in there. I was in second gear cruising this fight. Best condition I’ve ever been in. After the wrestling and clinch exchanges my shots still held their pop. First time for me with this so I am very encouraged to keep going. It was the first time I did not use/nor need the stool between rounds also. I did need the stool after tho that’s for sure. As well as to this day loads and loads of @tidlsport recovery spray. This stuff is truly magic by the way! All the swelling, bruising, and pain on my leg has literally vanished using it! Try this stuff if you are in pain or banged up. Doesn’t work? I’ll personally refund you. THIS STUFF IS MAGIC! @tidlsport! Plant based cryotherapy spray. FIRST AND ONLY ONE OF ITS KIND. Magic!
    I am extremely happy I did not need to use the stool between rounds here anyway. Another first for me! I am most certainly on the right path. Despite the loss I am on the correct path of evolution.
    Thoughts on the bout: I enjoyed racking up some more time inside the famed UFC Octagon. 40 seconds in 3 years is all I’d had up to this bout. I was savouring very second and enjoying my work. A little single disciplined in my approach and stance with mostly boxing. It’s what I get for picking this bout and opponent as a precursor to a boxing match against Pacman. I deserved to get the legs kicked off me going in with this thinking. This is not the game to play around with. Besides this tho my shots where sharp and I was in full control. Albeit the leg attacks where building up on me throughout the course. 18 in total thrown at me, with the final one buckling my leg fully, that was that. The peroneal nerve compromised. Fascinating! First time to experience it. Then a tremendous finishing flurry by my opponent. Hats off! A well fought fight by The Diamond. 1 a piece now with a Trilogy bout for all the marbles! Wow! Exciting! Not a trilogy I was expecting, nor the tactical affair I was anticipating, but I’d be lying if I said this wasn’t meant to be. This is exactly how this was always meant to be! Buzzing!!

I've trouble believing that Conor McGregor wrote that. Exciting! Fascinating! Magic! Wow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭Inviere

I've trouble believing that Conor McGregor wrote that. Exciting! Fascinating! Magic! Wow!

Same, doesn't quite seem like his grammar/style

Advertisement