Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

At 2:47 left on the clock is the turning fight of the fight
    Dustin has his back toward the fence and Conor misses a left hand and gets smacked with a right hand his legs wobble and that's him done

Conor won't admit it but that shot broke him ,

If you look at it closely it actually looks like he thinks about shooting for a takedown immediately after he takes the punch and then pulls out ,it very much like that moment in Diaz 1 when he gets stunned and doesn't know what to do ,

Conor can talk about his leg or gas or whatever but he got stung and wobbled and never recovered ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

glasso wrote: »

David hannigan - the journalist who wrote that - is the toxic one. He has had it in for McGregor since the start. A quick google search shows up a litany of hit pieces he wrote on mcgregor over the years.

Every piece is filled with venom and hatred. Its gross.

McGregor definitely deserves criticism for some of his antics but this guy has been actively trying to assassinate his character for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

He looked close to the McGregor face to me. When he starts to get the Bull McCabe look you know the end is nigh.

It's probably a combination of heart, tired and damage. He thought he was against the same Dustin and would put him away in one shot.

I do find it a bit mad though how excited his coach is that he wasn't tired after one round, kinda tells it's own story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

It's not just sparring hard either, its sparring with quality people.
    I know he is very loyal to john and owen but even if they all went to a top gym in the states for a month.
    Diaz used to spare with andre ward, super middleweight boxing champ and p4p best at the time, khabib and DC are teammates, dustin trains with masvidal and had jordan Burroughs in for wrestling.
    You dont see rory McIlroy playing with the course pro in Hollywood, Eddie Irvine wasn't driving around mondelo park etc etc
    Ireland is small. He is elite so should train with the elite.

David hannigan - the journalist who wrote that - is the toxic one. He has had it in for McGregor since the start. A quick google search shows up a litany of hit pieces he wrote on mcgregor over the years.

McGregor definitely deserves criticism for some of his antics but this guy has been actively trying to assassinate his character for years.

Yeah, when he calls the whiskey "gut rot". Cmon, I'm sure it's no Middleton but it's made by bushmills, probably just a standard whiskey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Dustin has his back toward the fence and Conor misses a left hand and gets smacked with a right hand his legs wobble and that's him done

If you look at it closely it actually looks like he thinks about shooting for a takedown immediately after he takes the punch and then pulls out ,it very much like that moment in Diaz 1 when he gets stunned and doesn't know what to do ,

Conor can talk about his leg or gas or whatever but he got stung and wobbled and never recovered ,

That punch combo Conor kept throwing was stupid as well, left land and reaching with a right uppercut if you can even call it that. There was a leg kick at the same time though hard to tell if it was the punch or the kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

How can he get away with basically saying he's guilty of the 2018 incident when there has been no case or prosecution?

Leaving himself open to been sued and rightly so.

Can't be allowed type stuff like that without actual proof and guilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

How can he get away with basically saying he's guilty of the 2018 incident when there has been no case or prosecution?

Leaving himself open to been sued and rightly so.

Can't be allowed type stuff like that without actual proof and guilt.

Where does he say that?

He literally says the events alleged in the civil case brought up on fight week are from an incident that happened in 2018. That is 100% factual.

Those civil lawsuits filed in Dublin last week, the ones reported on in such troubling, lurid detail by the New York Times (taking full advantage of America’s less restrictive libel laws), they stem from an incident in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He literally says the events alleged in the civil case brought up on fight week are from an incident that happened in 2018. That is 100% factual.
    It’s alleged to have happened. But saying there was an incident that happened in 2018 is dodgy ground for the media.

I don’t know any details. And we probably can’t get into it here. But why is there a civil case and not a criminal case? That’s not usually a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Where does he say that?

Those civil lawsuits filed in Dublin last week, the ones reported on in such troubling, lurid detail by the New York Times (taking full advantage of America’s less restrictive libel laws), they stem from an incident in 2018.

Finishes after that with Parenting really did seem to transform him alright.

Not hard to make it out he's suggesting he's guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mellor wrote: »
    It’s alleged to have happened. But saying there was an incident that happened in 2018 is dodgy ground for the media.

I don’t know any details. And we probably can’t get into it here. But why is there a civil case and not a criminal case? That’s not usually a good sign.

There is no denying there was an incident. Conor himself presented to a Garda station after the incident. Thats not to say he's guilty of anything or even that the incident was in any way, shape or form illegal, but reporting facts is not dodgy ground for the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That journalist is my cousin, be kind! But ya he absolutely hates McGregor and is a boxing fanatic so likes MMA even less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

rob316 wrote: »
    That journalist is my cousin, be kind! But ya he absolutely hates McGregor and is a boxing fanatic so likes MMA even less.

Hates McGregor? Would never have guessed. That kind of writing isn't journalism either, its just an attack from a dick with a platform. No offence to you or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

... a dick with a platform. No offence ...

lol

Hates McGregor? Would never have guessed. That kind of writing isn't journalism either, its just an attack from a dick with a platform. No offence to you or anything

how could this journalist possibly not warm to such a fine upstanding Irishman, such a fine representative of our nation?

the mind boggles.

begrudger.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's the Irish times, McGregor wouldn't appeal to their readers. Let's be honest he's fairly spot on with assessment of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

how could this journalist possibly not warm to such a fine upstanding Irishman, such a fine representative of our nation?

the mind boggles.

begrudger.

Edit: Doh!

cloudatlas wrote: »
    It's really simplistic and lazy to say that everyone who critiques anything is a begrudger.

I watch Conor fight and enjoy it but I still don't think that punching an old man or attacking a bus which causes problems for a fighter who suffers from ptsd and jumping into a ring and causing chaos before help has arrived for a downed fighter is a good thing.

sorry - should have put a sarcasm disclaimer on that one then - did think that the "upstanding" and "fine representative" bit would have been enough to give it away!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

That is exactly what happened, his leg went as a result of that counter right from Dustin, it was that bang that was the beginning of the end , he was wobbly after it and Dustin just cut loose, it was fairly even before that exchange. Same thing happened in Diaz 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There is no denying there was an incident. Conor himself presented to a Garda station after the incident. Thats not to say he's guilty of anything or even that the incident was in any way, shape or form illegal, but reporting facts is not dodgy ground for the media.

I get what you mean. Incident as in an event that happened. Rather than a crime.
    Maybe he has access to more information than we do. But the point about civil rather than criminal stands. Find that a bit odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Mellor wrote: »
    ...But the point about civil rather than criminal stands. Find that a bit odd.

File sent to DPP & they decided not to bring a case against him. You aware of that? Not enough evidence.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Folks MMA talk only...there comes a point where the warnings stop and the cards and bans just start getting handed out because people keep ignoring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Homelander

the mind boggles.

begrudger.

Realistically there's a big difference between "warming to a fine upstanding Irishman" and having a blatant, almost irrational, hatred for the man.

The article comes across as a load of try-hard hate-**** to be honest. It would have been fine - good even - if he had tempered it a bit as the content is mostly completely fine and fair game.

But he really just couldn't help plastering it with a massive neon-flashing "I HATE CONOR MCGREGOR" vibe and it doesn't do the article any favors, on the contrary I think the author comes across as a bit of a tool.

Homelander wrote: »
    Realistically there's a big difference between "warming to a fine upstanding Irishman" and having a blatant, almost irrational, hatred for the man.

The article comes across as a load of try-hard hate-**** to be honest. It would have been fine - good even - if he had tempered it a bit as the content is mostly completely fine and fair game.

But he really just couldn't help plastering it with a massive neon-flashing "I HATE CONOR MCGREGOR" vibe and it doesn't do the article any favors, on the contrary I think the author comes across as a bit of a tool.

they need to send the boards mods in as editors on the McGregor MMA talk times articles :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

walshb wrote: »
    Yes, it did seem like he simply gave up.

But he also looked spent....very tired....

So, Bisping I think is spot on

Round 1 was intense enough

And folks have mentioned that Dustin seemed to be just as tired

But, stamina and conditioning also involves one's ability to get your second wind and recover from a tough exertion. Dustin seemed to recover well.

Conor I don't think recovered enough from round 1....and then round 2 began and the tank was suffering...
    I completely agree and surprised “giving up “ hasn’t been the narrative, Conor wanted out after getting out of his depth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I completely agree and surprised “giving up “ hasn’t been the narrative, Conor wanted out after getting out of his depth

Yeah, maybe. There's evidence of similar in the past, like Diaz 1.

Then again, he showed plenty of heart in the mendes fight and the khabib fight too in surviving the second round onslaught.

I do think it's not a coincidence that there are plenty of examples of fighters who are brilliant front-foot fighters that struggle when things get tough. Thinking of guys like Rumble, N'Gannou etc, capable of wiping most guys out in under a minute, but rarely get the win in fights where someone could weather the storm.

On the flip side take artem for example, he's spent his career sparring someone with far greater natural gifts than him, and we've seen him in against fighters who were far too good for him on paper (cub swanson, Michael Johnson) and him never being close to being finished by them.

McGregor has spent most of his career dominating his sparring partners and walking through people in the octagon. If you don't encounter adversity all that often is it a huge surprise that you don't have the same reaction to it as someone who is used to being up against it? Easy for me to spout on about from my couch obviously, but I do think there's something to it.

It's one of the things that I think really puts Jon Jones out ahead of the field in the GOAT discussion. As well as his obvious natural advantages and ability to absolutely dominate his opponents, he's also shown that he can't be broken mentally or physically when his opponent is able to match him or even best him in the early rounds.

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Yeah, maybe. There's evidence of similar in the past, like Diaz 1.

Then again, he showed plenty of heart in the mendes fight and the khabib fight too in surviving the second round onslaught.

I do think it's not a coincidence that there are plenty of examples of fighters who are brilliant front-foot fighters that struggle when things get tough. Thinking of guys like Rumble, N'Gannou etc, capable of wiping most guys out in under a minute, but rarely get the win in fights where someone could weather the storm.

On the flip side take artem for example, he's spent his career sparring someone with far greater natural gifts than him, and we've seen him in against fighters who were far too good for him on paper (cub swanson, Michael Johnson) and him never being close to being finished by them.

McGregor has spent most of his career dominating his sparring partners and walking through people in the octagon. If you don't encounter adversity all that often is it a huge surprise that you don't have the same reaction to it as someone who is used to being up against it? Easy for me to spout on about from my couch obviously, but I do think there's something to it.

It's one of the things that I think really puts Jon Jones out ahead of the field in the GOAT discussion. As well as his obvious natural advantages and ability to absolutely dominate his opponents, he's also shown that he can't be broken mentally or physically when his opponent is able to match him or even best him in the early rounds.

I think the inactivity plays into this too. While Dustin was having multiple tough fights against elite opposition, Conor was either not training at all or lighting up sparring partners in the gym. No substitute for the real thing and in UFC, they just dont do tune up fights, like you would see in boxing.

I think Conor needs someone a little handier next and then follow up quickly against one of the top dogs in the division. Maybe Felder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I think the inactivity plays into this too. While Dustin was having multiple tough fights against elite opposition, Conor was either not training at all or lighting up sparring partners in the gym. No substitute for the real thing and in UFC, they just dont do tune up fights, like you would see in boxing.

I think Conor needs someone a little handier next and then follow up quickly against one of the top dogs in the division. Maybe Felder?

What about a Al?

The trash talk could be funny. Especially with Serra in his corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭xtal191

I don't buy the inactivity excuse to be honest, plenty of fighters have had long lay offs and come back with impressive performances GSP, Cruz, Ortega off the top of my head, there's probably plenty more too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Nothing to do with inactivity. He got kicked a few times in the leg meaning he couldn't stand up properly and then he got punched a few times in the face.

Lets not over complicate this.

Advertisement