Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

The biggest problem for the county is we have a super club that have the numbers, money and structure than teams can't compete.. Underage and then and abbeyside (another huge population base) in most finals..

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

Have you considered putting yourself forward?

for what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Simo08

I’m surprised you bit back on this one. It’s not a serious argument he’s just purposely making fun of the Waterford footballers trying to stoke a reaction out of someone. There’s a couple that do it everytime the first opportunity they get

It is a serious argument, I'm not poking fun. I've been to many a Waterford football game over the years most notably the u21 Munster final win but let's call a spade a spade the senior setup has been a jokeshop environment for quite some time. It's not given the proper resources or backing to achieve any reasonable results.

Possibly a tiered championship would suit us better but until that time I don't see a point in wasting what money, time and resources we have into a squad that has languished in the mid to bottom division of league football for the better part of the 20 years I'm following and that faces an inevitable two championship defeats every season.

There's no appetite to properly get behind the senior football squad with the correct funding etc and until such a time that there is we should just forget about it and in my opinion enter at junior level in the British championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

what we really need for the future in my humble opinion is a friends of Waterford football type group,along the same lines as friends of tipperary football.

Run by people who have a genuine interest in Waterford football.there is a big passion for football in parts of the county at club level.hurling is number 1 but no reason why we shouldn't have a competitive senior football team.

Apart from st saviours,there has to be some plan put in place by gaa hopefully to grow,promote and to develop football in the city.we need players from the city to increase our strength and depth.tramore was a great club to supply good players to Waterford football teams but unfortunately they have fallen away in recent years.

We are small in number,but there are genuine football people in the county.it would be a positive development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

We are only county in Munster without a centre of excellence (or plans to make one),

Cork/Tipp/Limerick don't have these either. Clare do but apparently its unusable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

FYI a Feedback Thread has been opened.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058149601

Please read the Opening Post before posting.

Any opinions or thoughts in general are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://waterford-news.ie/2021/01/14/deise-minor-managers-for-2021-appointed/

Ballygunners Gary O Keeffe taking over as minor hurling manager. Michael Scully Ryan returning to the sideline been part of the Minor management team and managing the senior teams of Fourmilewater, the Nire and the Ballymacarbry ladies team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

He doesn't get the respect he deserves for what he did with the girls in the 90s. Winning that number of club and intercounty all Irelands is incredible. If he did that now he'd have been a shoe in for our sporting mount Rushmore on newstalk. They were different times in fairness, but it was still incredible.

blue note wrote: »
    He doesn't get the respect he deserves for what he did with the girls in the 90s. Winning that number of club and intercounty all Irelands is incredible. If he did that now he'd have been a shoe in for our sporting mount Rushmore on newstalk. They were different times in fairness, but it was still incredible.

He had a rocky start in 2012 but saved us from relegation in the league and got us to a Munster final. We were unlucky in the AI QF that year against an average enough Cork team. 2013 we gave it our all against Kilkenny but ET was too much for us in the end (not many highlights of that game going around)

He done very well with Westmeath too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

Anyone get his book?

• Advertisement

thesultan wrote: »
    Anyone get his book?

looked it up there never knew he had a book

Interesting might give it a look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

blue note wrote: »

To be fair the numptys they had from Waterford selecting on that show, yerwan put her own brother up there and the other ghoul spent half the show talking about Ardmore football. I wouldn’t take it too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

To be fair the numptys they had from Waterford selecting on that show, yerwan put her own brother up there and the other ghoul spent half the show talking about Ardmore football. I wouldn’t take it too seriously.

Little unfair - her brother was an Olympian but rest of it a waste of time alright

Little unfair - her brother was an Olympian

Ireland send a lot of people to the Olympics every 4 years. Being an Olympian isn't enough on it's own to get you in. In fairness to him, he's far better than an average Olympian. But being honest, he shouldn't have been a serious consideration for top 4 sporting figures from waterford. The fact that his sister put him in was a bit embarrassing.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/hegarty-bennett-and-kelly-up-for-top-award-as-treaty-get-14-nominees-39974738.html

PwC All-Star Hurling nominations 2020

Goalkeepers - Stephen O'Keeffe (Waterford), Nickie Quaid (Limerick), Eibhear Quilligan (Clare).

Defenders - Seán Finn, Dan Morrissey, Barry Nash, Diarmaid Byrnes, Declan Hannon, Kyle Hayes (all Limerick); Conor Prunty, Shane McNulty, Calum Lyons, Tadhg de Burcá (all Waterford); Dáithí Burke, Aidan Harte, Pádraic Mannion (all Galway); Conor Delaney, Pádraig Walsh (both Kilkenny); Rory Hayes (Clare), Mark Coleman (Cork), Ronan Maher (Tipperary).

Midfielders - Will O'Donoghue, Cian Lynch (both Limerick), Jamie Barron (Waterford), Tony Kelly (Clare), Michael Breen (Tipperary), Conor Browne (Kilkenny).

Forwards - Gearóid Hegarty, Tom Morrissey, Aaron Gillane, Seamus Flanagan, Graeme Mulcahy (all Limerick); Stephen Bennett, Dessie Hutchinson, Austin Gleeson, Jack Fagan (all Waterford); Brian Concannon, Joe Canning, Conor Whelan, Cathal Mannion (all Galway); TJ Reid, John Donnelly (both Kilkenny); Donal Burke (Dublin); Cathal Malone (Clare); Shane Kingston (Cork)

PwC GAA/GPA Young Hurler of the Year nominees Jake Morris (Tipperary), Eoin Cody (Kilkenny), Iarlaith Daly (Waterford).

PwC GAA/GPA Hurler of the Year nominees Gearóid Hegarty (Limerick), Tony Kelly (Clare), Stephen Bennett (Waterford)

Congrats to all the players nominated, a little bit shocked at Iarlaith Daly getting the nomination for YPOTY . Thought Callum Lyons would of got a nomination for that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭deisedude

De Burca and Stephen Bennett should both get one

I think Soky, Hutchinson, Lyons and Barron will probably be on the wrong side of some tight calls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

deisedude wrote: »
    De Burca and Stephen Bennett should both get one

I think Soky, Hutchinson, Lyons and Barron will probably be on the wrong side of some tight calls

Agree we deserve at least 3

Bennett and TDB are shoe-ins.

Agree Quaid will get the goalie position.
    Lyons deserves one but won’t because his up against Kyle Hayes and Dan Morrissey for the 2 wing back positions.

Barron is most deserving of the rest. Tony Kelly actually played most of his year at right corner forward so he should be selected there but I fear Barron will miss out for that reason

I actually think Aussie has a great chance. He was magnificent in both the semi and the final. Averaged 3/4 points from play in the earlier rounds too

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Barron might get midfield yet.
    Lynch or kelly will be selected in forwards I think

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Bennett, De Burca plus one for me. Sokky unlucky but unlikely to get one ahead of Quaid. I have a feeling Austin could get the third. Barron wasn't at his best against Limerick either day. But Lee Chin getting one last year after scoring 1-5 from play in 6 games showed it's often illogical. Stephen Bennett scored the same from play last year in less games and two of Chins points came against Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Bennett, De Burca plus one for me. Sokky unlucky but unlikely to get one ahead of Quaid. I have a feeling Austin could get the third. Barron wasn't at his best against Limerick either day. But Lee Chin getting one last year after scoring 1-5 from play in 6 games showed it's often illogical. Stephen Bennett scored the same from play last year in less games and two of Chins points came against Carlow.
    It isn't all down to scores, in the Limerick Kilkenny game in 2019 TJ didn't score from play but deservedly got MOFM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

It isn't all down to scores, in the Limerick Kilkenny game in 2019 TJ didn't score from play but deservedly got MOFM

Fair point. But I'd add that in no game last year was Chin particularly outstanding either. However his media profile seemed to make him an automatic choice ahead of McDonald, O Connor and McGovern who played better.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

All stars are always a tricky one and noone ever agrees with the 15. If youre a Limerick fan you could make a case for getting all 15 of them based on their season . Equally we got to a Munster final and All Ireland and can make a good case for 4 or 5 All Stars . I think we will get 3 . TDB. Bennett and Austin . Hegarty hurler of year and Eoin Cody just beating Daly for YHOT

Great to have lads back in the All star nominations

Let's hope we kick on for 2021

Since it's voting now, there are less of the rules about it. In the past they'd pretty much decide how many each team deserved and divvy them up from there. Now they can have some control with the nominations, but after that it's up to the voters.

So I assume Kelly being nominated in midfield means that he can't get one in the forwards. In reality he was a forward this year. I'd say they looked at it and thought of the forward who would lose out if he was nominated up there compared to the midfielder who'd lose out by putting him there and decided to put him in midfield.

Of course, positions don't really mean all that much anymore. So picking an old style formation doesn't really make any sense anyway.

I think you see it more in the HOTY nominations. If I remember correctly, the year Aussie won Lee keegan won the football one. And I'd say that most people would have had callinan / maher as their picks for the hurling and some Dublin lads for the football (I can't remember who). But the vote gets gets between the two lads from the winning county, and the third favourite comes away with the award. And as a result, I think now they pick who they want to win it and pick the nominations accordingly. The worst example of this was the year joe canning won. Gearoid mcinerney was the unanimous pick on the Sunday game panel and then he wasn't nominated for the actual award. The three lads I'd have nominated after him would have been Barron and dathi and David Burke. But I'd say they were fearful of two galway lads splitting the vote, so they made sure to have a second Waterford guy. And I think canning got it more for his career than his season.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

You can be nominated in a position but chosen in any other position.

PTH2009 wrote: »

Fair play to them for doing it and you can see why they'd do it. That said, from a national level there should be more sharing between sports. Dublin doesn't need croker and the Aviva. From a croke park level there should be more sharing between counties. Realistically Waterford and kilkenny could share a stadium for the use they get and how close we are to each other. And from a county level it's a farce that we have two county grounds.

I suppose in this case it's a pitch not a stadium, so probably fair enough. But you'd wonder is there an element of no one being able to work together as well. So we just double up on facilities for simplicities sake.

benji79 wrote: »
    You can be nominated in a position but chosen in any other position.

I wonder how the voting works then. They must be able to pick any 15 and the voters probably typically pick them as per the positions on the form. It probably makes more sense that way. As the majority of teams won't really have six forwards, so you'd have less competition for those spots and more for midfield / defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

PTH2009 wrote: »

Fair play to the ladies. So where will the pitch be? RTE mentions Dungarvan but the Greenway doesn’t really go into Dungarvan, so I’m assume it will be in Ballinroad somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Waternut wrote: »
    Fair play to the ladies. So where will the pitch be? RTE mentions Dungarvan but the Greenway doesn’t really go into Dungarvan, so I’m assume it will be in Ballinroad somewhere?

Say you're heading to Clonea from Dungarvan, once you pass Kilminion graveyard on your left its just a bit up the road on your right. Across from a small estate called Cúl na Cille I think

Advertisement