Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Shane Bennett making himself available for the coming season according to the Examiner.

Good news

Yeah good news but he will have to work for his place

Like to see Sam Fitzgerald and Michael Kiely get a chance too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭deisedude

Shane Bennett making himself available for the coming season according to the Examiner.

Good news

This is absolutely massive.

Shane Bennett should fit in well with Cahill's gameplan. Works hard, very fit and a more natural scorer than many of our forwards

Is Stephen Molumphy returning this year to the management team ?

If not I'm sure Cahill will bring in a suitable replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Kieran kirwan transfering to clonea from kill ,any other transfers?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Kieran kirwan transfering to clonea from kill ,any other transfers?

I could be mistaken but I thought Kill no longer had a hurling team & Kirwan had played hurling with Fenor of late? So he would still remain with Kill for football but has decided to line out for Clonea rather than Fenor in hurling.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Is Stephen Molumphy returning this year to the management team ?

If not I'm sure Cahill will bring in a suitable replacement

I seem to recall it being mentioned as a year long placement in England for Molumphy & I think he left around August so I doubt he will be involved this year. If he is to be it will be remotely again, but hard to imagine that continuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

The Waterford match-day squad for the 2020 All-Ireland final included eight of the team which started the 2016 Under 21 final and two of the substitutes. Just three of that team actually started the 2020 final – Conor Prunty, Stephen Bennett and Austin Gleeson. Jack Fagan was an unused sub in 2016. Three of the 2016 team came on as subs in the 2020 final – Conor Gleeson, Patrick Curran and Darragh Lyons. Mikey Kearney, Mark O’Brien and Peter Hogan (who came on as a last-minute sub in 2016) were unused subs.

While this is an unusually good follow-through from a single under-age team, it is interesting to consider the players from 2016 who were not involved in 2020. Jordan Henley, the 2016 goalkeeper, was on the training panel for the early-season Munster League games in 2020, and played against Kerry, but does not appear to have been retained. Willie Hahessy, who had an excellent game in the 2016 final, appears to have never been involved at senior level which is surprising, given how threadbare Waterford have been in recent years as regards cover in the fullback line. I asked an acquaintance of mine from Clonea why Hahessy has never been involved with the county seniors and he replied that everyone in Clonea has been asking the same question.

For me, the most mystifying absentee from the 2016 team is Michael Harney, who was my man-of-the-match in the 2016 final. Since then, he has put in several years on a very good Carlow IT Fitzgibbon Cup team. Big, strong and very good in the air, he seems to be exactly the kind of player Liam Cahill would like. And, with Tadhg de Búrca almost certain to be missing, Darragh Fives so injury-prone, and signs that the years are catching up with Kevin Moran, we need new half backs.

Tom Devine obviously is unavailable and probably would be in the senior squad if he was. I believe that both Colm Roche and DJ Foran were included in Cahill’s initial training squad last year, but were ruled out by injury. It is reported that Foran is back in the panel, and good coaching could make him a very useful player. I don’t know what the story is with Roche, but he certainly was shooting the lights out for Shamrocks when he came back for the 2020 club championship. And I still believe there should be room in the panel for his older brother Shane, who was a regular corner back for several years in a very good UCC team.

So, with Shane Bennett also making a welcome return, in my view, up to 15 members of the 2016 panel (and they were a hell of a team) could merit a place in the current senior panel. That said, I think Mark O’Brien, Peter Hogan and Mikey Quirke in particular could be under pressure from new players coming into the panel. Of the nine subs listed for the 2016 panel, Hogan and Jack Fagan are the only players now involved with the seniors, although Billy O’Keeffe of Ballygunner might also be worth a look.

Abbeyside’s Michael Kiely was also a member of last year’s starting panel, but he too was ruled out by a long-term injury. Thankfully he is now back and showing glimpses of his enormous potential. Tom Barron got a lot of game time in the league last year, but never featured in the championship squads. I would expect him to be much more involved this year. Apart from his couple of minutes against Clare, I have never seen Ciarán Kirwan play, and therefore am unable to comment on his prospect.

As regards newcomers, I have heard that Rory Furlong is in the panel which is a welcome development. Other members of the under-20 team which played Tipperary whom I would like to see on the senior panel include Paddy Leavy (who I think would make a great midfield partner for Jamie Barron), Sam Fitzgerald, Johnny Burke (big, strong, good in the air and uses the ball well) and James Power.

Overall, I expect the Waterford panel to be significantly stronger (both in terms of player depth and physical conditioning) in 2021 than it was in 2020. The combination of injuries, cancellation of the latter stages of the league and the long summer hiatus also meant that Liam Cahill and Mikie Bevans had limited time to work on the team’s game plan last year. While the current ban on collective training won’t help in this respect, I would still expect Waterford to be better organised in this facet of play in 2021. All told, therefore, I think there is every reason for optimism that, in 2021, Waterford can build on last year’s remarkable progress.

Giveitfong wrote: »
    The Waterford match-day squad for the 2020 All-Ireland final included eight of the team which started the 2016 Under 21 final and two of the substitutes. Just three of that team actually started the 2020 final – Conor Prunty, Stephen Bennett and Austin Gleeson. Jack Fagan was an unused sub in 2016. Three of the 2016 team came on as subs in the 2020 final – Conor Gleeson, Patrick Curran and Darragh Lyons. Mikey Kearney, Mark O’Brien and Peter Hogan (who came on as a last-minute sub in 2016) were unused subs.

While this is an unusually good follow-through from a single under-age team, it is interesting to consider the players from 2016 who were not involved in 2020. Jordan Henley, the 2016 goalkeeper, was on the training panel for the early-season Munster League games in 2020, and played against Kerry, but does not appear to have been retained. Willie Hahessy, who had an excellent game in the 2016 final, appears to have never been involved at senior level which is surprising, given how threadbare Waterford have been in recent years as regards cover in the fullback line. I asked an acquaintance of mine from Clonea why Hahessy has never been involved with the county seniors and he replied that everyone in Clonea has been asking the same question.

For me, the most mystifying absentee from the 2016 team is Michael Harney, who was my man-of-the-match in the 2016 final. Since then, he has put in several years on a very good Carlow IT Fitzgibbon Cup team. Big, strong and very good in the air, he seems to be exactly the kind of player Liam Cahill would like. And, with Tadhg de Búrca almost certain to be missing, Darragh Fives so injury-prone, and signs that the years are catching up with Kevin Moran, we need new half backs.

Tom Devine obviously is unavailable and probably would be in the senior squad if he was. I believe that both Colm Roche and DJ Foran were included in Cahill’s initial training squad last year, but were ruled out by injury. It is reported that Foran is back in the panel, and good coaching could make him a very useful player. I don’t know what the story is with Roche, but he certainly was shooting the lights out for Shamrocks when he came back for the 2020 club championship. And I still believe there should be room in the panel for his older brother Shane, who was a regular corner back for several years in a very good UCC team.

So, with Shane Bennett also making a welcome return, in my view, up to 15 members of the 2016 panel (and they were a hell of a team) could merit a place in the current senior panel. That said, I think Mark O’Brien, Peter Hogan and Mikey Quirke in particular could be under pressure from new players coming into the panel. Of the nine subs listed for the 2016 panel, Hogan and Jack Fagan are the only players now involved with the seniors, although Billy O’Keeffe of Ballygunner might also be worth a look.

Abbeyside’s Michael Kiely was also a member of last year’s starting panel, but he too was ruled out by a long-term injury. Thankfully he is now back and showing glimpses of his enormous potential. Tom Barron got a lot of game time in the league last year, but never featured in the championship squads. I would expect him to be much more involved this year. Apart from his couple of minutes against Clare, I have never seen Ciarán Kirwan play, and therefore am unable to comment on his prospect.

As regards newcomers, I have heard that Rory Furlong is in the panel which is a welcome development. Other members of the under-20 team which played Tipperary whom I would like to see on the senior panel include Paddy Leavy (who I think would make a great midfield partner for Jamie Barron), Sam Fitzgerald, Johnny Burke (big, strong, good in the air and uses the ball well) and James Power.

Overall, I expect the Waterford panel to be significantly stronger (both in terms of player depth and physical conditioning) in 2021 than it was in 2020. The combination of injuries, cancellation of the latter stages of the league and the long summer hiatus also meant that Liam Cahill and Mikie Bevans had limited time to work on the team’s game plan last year. While the current ban on collective training won’t help in this respect, I would still expect Waterford to be better organised in this facet of play in 2021. All told, therefore, I think there is every reason for optimism that, in 2021, Waterford can build on last year’s remarkable progress.

Harnedy played in earlier season competitions under Fanning at wing back & struggled hugely against Clare on Diarmuid Ryan in Fraher Field, so much so he was withdrawn at half time & deservedly so. I think Ryan might have hit 3 or 4 points in the first half of the game.
    He has played in a sweeper type role for Carlow IT this past season, but would not be anywhere near as influential as Tadhg in the role. His lack of pace is probably the biggest issue & while his hurling is solid, it is debatable if it would be up to standard to make a big impact at the top level.

Having said all that, I do think he is worth a look again given the players we are likely to be missing next year. I just personally don’t see him making the impact that some here do.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Harnedy played in earlier season competitions under Fanning at wing back & struggled hugely against Clare on Diarmuid Ryan in Fraher Field, so much so he was withdrawn at half time & deservedly so. I think Ryan might have hit 3 or 4 points in the first half of the game.
    He has played in a sweeper type role for Carlow IT this past season, but would not be anywhere near as influential as Tadhg in the role. His lack of pace is probably the biggest issue & while his hurling is solid, it is debatable if it would be up to standard to make a big impact at the top level.

Having said all that, I do think he is worth a look again given the players we are likely to be missing next year. I just personally don’t see him making the impact that some here do.

I'd agree with this entirely. Honest and will give his best, had the game of his life that day against Galway, but I'm not sure he's up to inter county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I'd agree with this entirely. Honest and will give his best, had the game of his life that day against Galway, but I'm not sure he's up to inter county.

I agree we can’t be looking back to an u21 team from 4 or 5 years ago to try and find lads, it’s a different level and different time.Jack Fagan was an exception rather than the rule in that he was an unused sub on that team and this year came up trumps as a key player in getting us to an AI. I think Cahill will be looking more at the u20s from the past couple of years as the younger lads have more chance of developing. He knows the underage scene quite well anyway as he would have come up against a lot of these lads when in charge of Tipp teams

• Advertisement

I agree we can’t be looking back to an u21 team from 4 or 5 years ago to try and find lads, it’s a different level and different time.Jack Fagan was an exception rather than the rule in that he was an unused sub on that team and this year came up trumps as a key player in getting us to an AI. I think Cahill will be looking more at the u20s from the past couple of years as the younger lads have more chance of developing. He knows the underage scene quite well anyway as he would have come up against a lot of these lads when in charge of Tipp teams

The Reality is IC GAA is a young mans game nowadays with lads really only staying at it to there late 20s. Obv some exceptions, its a massive sacrifice with the level of training/nutrition etc

Looking forward to the new season and please god we can improve and finally get there. The county needs a lift (Whole country too tbh)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Harney is a name that’s mentioned every year, along with Foran. Both have been around the panel for years and haven’t cut it. Harneys hurling isn’t up to it and Foran doesn’t have it either. They have been given plenty of opportunities and it’s time to look at younger options.

There are are also a few who have been hanging around the panel for years, such as O’Brien. Mark is a good hurler, but he is just not up to championship hurling. Time to give the opportunity to a younger lad.

I’m surprised Furlong has been called up. He is probably only 18. Then again, it’s better to get a young lad involved rather than looking at the same old names over and over.

Waternut wrote: »
    Harney is a name that’s mentioned every year, along with Foran. Both have been around the panel for years and haven’t cut it. Harneys hurling isn’t up to it and Foran doesn’t have it either. They have been given plenty of opportunities and it’s time to look at younger options.

There are are also a few who have been hanging around the panel for years, such as O’Brien. Mark is a good hurler, but he is just not up to championship hurling. Time to give the opportunity to a younger lad.

I’m surprised Furlong has been called up. He is probably only 18. Then again, it’s better to get a young lad involved rather than looking at the same old names over and over.

Harney around the panel for years really ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

Dunford and kearney have been around a while too

thesultan wrote: »
    Dunford and kearney have been around a while too
    I’d probably lump Dunford into that bracket too.

If someone isn’t challenging for a championship start or championship sub appearance / contribution after two or three years on the panel then it’s worth giving someone else or a younger lad an opportunity.

I’d probably keep Kearney for another year??

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

Still no news of a senior football manager appointment..absolutely ridiculous at this late stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Simo08

Venom69 wrote: »
    Still no news of a senior football manager appointment..absolutely ridiculous at this late stage.

Who cares

Simo08 wrote: »
    Who cares

You cared enough to respond

Who cares

Plenty..

Waternut wrote: »

Furlong is not called up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

Venom69 wrote: »
    Jim Gavin is available

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

PTH2009 wrote: »

He was Tipperary ladies manager and over Mourneabbey ladies that won a club All-Ireland. Not sure of his pedigree with men's teams.

He was Tipperary ladies manager and over Mourneabbey ladies that won a club All-Ireland. Not sure of his pedigree with men's teams.

He deserves a crack at anyway

Get a few league wins and take it from there. We will be in the B All Ireland championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Simo08

His pedigree matters little as he has nothing much to work with down here. Two or three league wins, maybe maybe a qualifier win in the championship and that'll be his lot. Rinse and repeat when he gets fed up and moves on. Total waste of resources and people's time Waterford fielding a senior football team. We'd be better off at junior level playing in the British championship like Kilkenny do.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

Very best of luck to Shane ronayne as new senior football
    manager.

Interesting choice,fantastic record in ladies football.hopefully makes progress with the seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

His pedigree matters little as he has nothing much to work with down here. Two or three league wins, maybe maybe a qualifier win in the championship and that'll be his lot. Rinse and repeat when he gets fed up and moves on. Total waste of resources and people's time Waterford fielding a senior football team. We'd be better off at junior level playing in the British championship like Kilkenny do.

Rubbish.

We should continue to enter a team into the league and play against teams at a similar standard same as other smaller counties. The Kilkenny football situation is a joke, and an embarrassment to them, where they don't even enter a team in the league or the championship proper. The discussion about a 2nd or third tier championship is a separate matter, it probably makes sense to have a separate competition for weaker teams- but the GAA has a poor record in promoting these- but for Jaysus sake let's not give up and go the Kilkenny route.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

I see our county treasurer - who couldnt make the convention amazingly nor were any questions allowed be asked on the coffers is in the news today with the begging bowl out looking for handouts from GAA HQ - article is on the examiner sport website titled;

"National Leagues should go ahead, says Waterford GAA treasurer John Jackson"

It was only a few weeks ago the same John Jackson was looking for the GAA to give every county board a million euro!

The poor mouthing and penny pinching is depressing.

Our county secretary has a lot to answer for, reactive and hyper defensive.

Timmy O Keefe was infinitely better at the job - forward thinking and not afraid to push for change (playing games in Nowlan park for eg).

We are only county in Munster without a centre of excellence (or plans to make one), a stadium (Walsh park carriganore Fraher is going on 20+ years) and our underage structures in total tatters (havent won a game in years at u20/u21 and same comment minor) and thats in hurling - as for football its probably gone beyond repair now its so bad at underage and county levels.

At club level its even worse, highlighted by the local farce with Kieran Kirwan moving to Clonea over Fenor - club of county chairman!

There is no league of substance for club players and annually are never finished is it any wonder we cant unearth county players from the club game!

The mediocrity and amateur hour stuff is so frustrating, when is the report commissioned 15 months ago going to be published? And more importantly, what will they actually do about it?

I see our county treasurer - who couldnt make the convention amazingly nor were any questions allowed be asked on the coffers is in the news today with the begging bowl out looking for handouts from GAA HQ - article is on the examiner sport website titled;

"National Leagues should go ahead, says Waterford GAA treasurer John Jackson"

It was only a few weeks ago the same John Jackson was looking for the GAA to give every county board a million euro!

The poor mouthing and penny pinching is depressing.

Our county secretary has a lot to answer for, reactive and hyper defensive.

Timmy O Keefe was infinitely better at the job - forward thinking and not afraid to push for change (playing games in Nowlan park for eg).

We are only county in Munster without a centre of excellence (or plans to make one), a stadium (Walsh park carriganore Fraher is going on 20+ years) and our underage structures in total tatters (havent won a game in years at u20/u21 and same comment minor) and thats in hurling - as for football its probably gone beyond repair now its so bad at underage and county levels.

At club level its even worse, highlighted by the local farce with Kieran Kirwan moving to Clonea over Fenor - club of county chairman!

There is no league of substance for club players and annually are never finished is it any wonder we cant unearth county players from the club game!

The mediocrity and amateur hour stuff is so frustrating, when is the report commissioned 15 months ago going to be published? And more importantly, what will they actually do about it?

Have you considered putting yourself forward?

• Advertisement

Rubbish.

We should continue to enter a team into the league and play against teams at a similar standard same as other smaller counties. The Kilkenny football situation is a joke, and an embarrassment to them, where they don't even enter a team in the league or the championship proper. The discussion about a 2nd or third tier championship is a separate matter, it probably makes sense to have a separate competition for weaker teams- but the GAA has a poor record in promoting these- but for Jaysus sake let's not give up and go the Kilkenny route.

I’m surprised you bit back on this one. It’s not a serious argument he’s just purposely making fun of the Waterford footballers trying to stoke a reaction out of someone. There’s a couple that do it everytime the first opportunity they get

Advertisement