Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Deisefacts wrote: »
    Also, John Jackson never attended the county board AGM so the chairman stated that there would be no questions asked in relation to finances at the AGM. It must also be stated that the treasurer job isn’t what it was before. The main 2 people over the finances in the county are the financial controller and county secretary( who were both logged on the night of the meeting).

No questions about finances? This is John Delaney type stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Croker have their eyes on this and pressure is being applied. Watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

It would be long overdue - deloitte should be in there as well as revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

Great to see paul whyte become a selector with senior footballers.

Fantastic player who gave unbelievable commitment to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Tommy Ryan training Cork side Russell Rovers for the coming year. Interesting to see how he balances that with his own playing commitments with Tallow in what will surely be a condensed season.

https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-40221656.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Tommy Ryan training Cork side Russell Rovers for the coming year. Interesting to see how he balances that with his own playing commitments with Tallow in what will surely be a condensed season.

https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-40221656.html

How old is tommy ryan?! Didn’t think he was 30?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

How old is tommy ryan?! Didn’t think he was 30?!
    he turns 30 this year

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

he turns 30 this year
    Was he involved with the Waterford U20's or minors last year or was that a differen Ryan?
    Best of luck to him and hopefully he develops into a top class coach and / or manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Waternut wrote: »
    Was he involved with the Waterford U20's or minors last year or was that a differen Ryan?
    Best of luck to him and hopefully he develops into a top class coach and / or manager.

Pretty sure you're right and that he was involved with the minor team.

he turns 30 this year

He turns 32 to be precise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

He turns 32 to be precise
    apologies got mixed up with Brian O'Halloran

• Registered Users Posts: 37,795 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Part 1- https://www.spreaker.com/episode/43403991

Part 2- https://www.spreaker.com/episode/43404018

Good interview with Liam Cahill, a bit surprised about the All Ireland Final training thing he said in part 2. Liam can speak for us all about how disappointing the GAA losing the elite sports tag

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Part 1- https://www.spreaker.com/episode/43403991

Part 2- https://www.spreaker.com/episode/43404018

Good interview with Liam Cahill, a bit surprised about the All Ireland Final training thing he said in part 2. Liam can speak for us all about how disappointing the GAA losing the elite sports tag

Bit surprised at that myself. If he was doing his job right he should have dropped 7 or 8 of them for the final but couldn't because his head would be on the block.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I think he might be planning ahead for when Waterford aee in another final ...that they can't afford to take the foot off the gas in anyway. Id have expected him to step in during the session and say ' WTF is with this drop off in standards' . Hes taking responsibility but he isn't. Its abit bizarre. Its Cahills first real knock back..and to be honest they need a good draw in the championship ...and avoid Limerick in the first round. Still they've every chance again

It's going to be a hard road back and as was said we need a relativity easy draw in Munster but then again there is no easy draw in Munster. Cahills 2 years will be up this year and he could walk esp if the Tipp job is available

PTH2009 wrote: »
    It's going to be a hard road back and as was said we need a relativity easy draw in Munster but then again there is no easy draw in Munster. Cahills 2 years will be up this year and he could walk esp if the Tipp job is available

If we dont win an all ireland under cahil,we never will with this group of players

I like the cut of his no nonsense,no excuses attitude,hard work eithic and the way he sets out the team to attack,attack,attack in waves....imo its setup best suited to put modern sweeper/tactics onto the back foot

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

If we dont win an all ireland under cahil,we never will with this group of players

I like the cut of his no nonsense,no excuses attitude,hard work eithic and the way he sets out the team to attack,attack,attack in waves....imo its setup best suited to put modern sweeper/tactics onto the back foot
    most if not all managers have this no nonsense, hard work ethic , it's a requirement ,but also a thinking brain when your team is most under pressure , again we got totally carried away by the second half performance of the KK match , in all honesty 3 big beatings of the same team last year , so Cahill really needs to wake up ,he had with the exception of Shane Bennett and possibly P Mahoney a really good squad ,but his lack of balls to make the really big selective decisions was his downfall , as it was with the previous managers ,

most if not all managers have this no nonsense, hard work ethic , it's a requirement ,but also a thinking brain when your team is most under pressure , again we got totally carried away by the second half performance of the KK match , in all honesty 3 big beatings of the same team last year , so Cahill really needs to wake up ,he had with the exception of Shane Bennett and possibly P Mahoney a really good squad ,but his lack of balls to make the really big selective decisions was his downfall , as it was with the previous managers ,

I have no idea what three big beatings you're talking about. Do you consider the league game where we played fringe players and the Munster final to be big beatings? What selection decisions do you think he should have made that he didn't?

I have no idea what three big beatings you're talking about. Do you consider the league game where we played fringe players and the Munster final to be big beatings? What selection decisions do you think he should have made that he didn't?
    if you have no idea , then you have no idea , I'll leave it at that ,

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Punt Road

What changes would you like to have seen for any of those limerick game HOD?

• Advertisement

if you have no idea , then you have no idea , I'll leave it at that ,

Apologies. I mistakenly thought statements can be supported by facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

I think Liam Cahill has done a magnificent job. It goes without saying!
    However, I find the latest comments about training a bit off. The week before the All Ireland final, they didn't train well and it seemed like they were minding themselves? Surely that's down to the management to blow the whistle and stop training and give them a roasting to up the tempo. Perhaps it's just an after thought he had in the post game critical analysis or maybe he was misquoted.

However, I find the latest comments about training a bit off. The week before the All Ireland final, they didn't train well and it seemed like they were minding themselves? Surely that's down to the management to blow the whistle and stop training and give them a roasting to up the tempo. Perhaps it's just an after thought he had in the post game critical analysis or maybe he was misquoted.

I'd agree with you. Perhaps it was annoyance at the announcement that the GAA was no longer elite but I found that a strange interview from Cahill and out of character at least with how he conducted himself previously. However one line that seems to have been largely overlooked was far more positive where he spoke of a number of players being brought in from a development perspective outside of the ones named. Last years under 20 team may have been beaten but there would be a few that have shown they could potentially step up to senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I'll get slated for this I know, but as great of a job Liam Cahill as done (and he has done a fantastic one) I don't get the reasoning for the criticism of the players. The way the game went with the physicality and cynical nature of Limerick combined with a dud of a referee I really think they did brilliantly not to leave their heads drop and keep going. I mean look at the treatment Austin got, sur they knew what they were doing as he's always being watched like a hawk for anything he does but in fairness to the man he responded and put in an outstanding performance.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I'll get slated for this I know, but as great of a job Liam Cahill as done (and he has done a fantastic one) I don't get the reasoning for the criticism of the players. The way the game went with the physicality and cynical nature of Limerick combined with a dud of a referee I really think they did brilliantly not to leave their heads drop and keep going. I mean look at the treatment Austin got, sur they knew what they were doing as he's always being watched like a hawk for anything he does but in fairness to the man he responded and put in an outstanding performance.

Sore loser. And factually incorrect. Limerick do play on the edge and thats how we like it..its up to Waterford to match them. The ref gave ye plenty. You definitely don't speak for the Waterford people I met who actually complimented Limericks power and game awareness.And in all fairness Waterford did let their heads drop in the last 15 mins and thats ok. Waterford will be good again don't worry.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Sore loser. And factually incorrect. Limerick do play on the edge and thats how we like it..its up to Waterford to match them. The ref gave ye plenty. You definitely don't speak for the Waterford people I met who actually complimented Limericks power and game awareness.And in all fairness Waterford did let their heads drop in the last 15 mins and thats ok. Waterford will be good again don't worry.

Look seeing as youre already offended I might aswell chip in here too, I think many Waterford people don’t want to be seen as sore losers but the view across the country is that Limerick are bad for hurling. Fair play to them they’ve found a way to be successful fair and square with sheer physicality and no little skill, and it’s up to other counties to find a way to counteract it. Personally I don’t think it would be good for the game if that type of ‘hurling’ was to win them another 2 or 3 in a row and hopefully the other counties can find a way to win without deviating away from the fundamentals of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Liam Cahill’s interview with WLR revealed a person who is very open, honest, reflective and self-effacing (the latter making a welcome contrast with some current and past county hurling managers who are big into self-promotion). He has also made it clear that he is still learning his trade and anxious to identify mistakes he has made and make sure they do not happen again.

I do think he was beating himself up too much about both the lead-up to the All-Ireland final and the game itself. I welcome his fixation with winning titles, but he needs to be realistic about what was achievable in his first year in charge.

What he did achieve was almost miraculous, given the low position from which his charges were starting. He had, for the most part, a very inexperienced team new to the demands of top-level intercounty hurling. As he said in his interview, he only had twelve weeks to work with them in terms of developing their hurling.

It should not be surprising that, given this background, they might flag a little coming into the All-Ireland final. They had played four high-octane games in rapid succession. The tension and energy involved in their win against Kilkenny (during which they played possibly the best half-hour’s hurling I have ever seen from a Waterford team) represented a “high” from which quick recovery would have been difficult.

Even then, I don’t think Waterford played poorly in the final. It’s just that they came up against physically powerful opponents who have been developing a highly effective game plan over several years, and who played some brilliant hurling on the day. As I wrote here, the final scoring difference did not accurately reflect the real difference between the teams on the field. With a couple of breaks, and a decent referee, Waterford could have been in contention going into the final stages.

One of the things I like about Cahill is his fixation on scoring goals, and this was again reflected in the interview in his mention of how, with greater vision, Waterford could have created a couple of extra goal chances against Limerick. You could say the same about the game against Kilkenny where the clear opportunities were there for two or three more goals.

I have long felt that there should be a lot more goals scored in modern hurling, given the light ball and the players’ high skill levels. However, too often, players are happy to take the handy point unless they are chasing the game. With the likes of Stephen Bennett, Patrick Curran and Dessie Hutchinson in the team, Waterford could score hatfuls of goals. I expect that, if he ever gets a chance to work with the team this year, he will be drilling into the players the need to be on the lookout for team mates in better positions around the goal. I think Waterford could be major beneficiaries if the GAA passes the proposals for greater penalties for cynical fouling.

However, for me (as with TheScoringGoal), the biggest thing I took from the interview was his revelation that, apart from those already named, he has brought a number of young players into the training panel with a view to long-term development. As I wrote here recently, I was very disappointed with how, apart from Michael Kiely, none of the many talented young players who had emerged in the last couple of years appeared to have been brought into the squad. I am glad to now find that this was not correct.

In this respect, I wonder how Cahill will be relating to the Under-20 mentors in particular. Hopefully there will be good co-operation between them, to the benefit of both. Waterford GAA (as in many other areas) has poor development structures and it would be nice (if naïve) to think that this might be the setting a precedent which can be built upon for the future. It also shows that Cahill is not confined to the short-term thinking which envelops many people in his position.

https://www.spreaker.com/episode/43447035

Another interview with Cahill

Door has not been closed fully for Darragh Fives and he along with Pauric and TDB are away rehabilitating their injuries

Apologies. I mistakenly thought statements can be supported by facts.
    seriously no need to apologise

• Advertisement

Look seeing as youre already offended I might aswell chip in here too, I think many Waterford people don’t want to be seen as sore losers but the view across the country is that Limerick are bad for hurling. Fair play to them they’ve found a way to be successful fair and square with sheer physicality and no little skill, and it’s up to other counties to find a way to counteract it. Personally I don’t think it would be good for the game if that type of ‘hurling’ was to win them another 2 or 3 in a row and hopefully the other counties can find a way to win without deviating away from the fundamentals of the game.

I understand what your saying. You're right ,alot of people across the country struggle to like the way Limerick play. There's a few reasons for that.. one is probably the natural affinity Irish people have for the small fella' or underdog. Secondly there's a genuine worry that more skillfull gameplans and players will be made redundant or nullified by more dominant, physical opponents working with a coach who is the market leader. Thirdly there's the fear of change..the fact that teams and counties have to adapt and change their outlook on how the game is or ought to be played.
    From my point of view and the traditional Limerick view on how the game should be played...this team represent how Limerick people like their hurling and sport. The great 30's team of Mackey ,Cross,Ryan were a physically imposing ruthless team who lived on and over the edge. There's a long held love of the hard tackle and brutal physicality of that team and indeed rugby teams that come from Limerick. And a love if skill too. Everyone loves to see the Hutchinson type of corner forward sniping a goal...but for many many Limerick people there's more of a love for a corner back who plants him into row z with a tackle.. Your either or I think or abit of both.
    The prevailing narrative peddled in the GAA is that Limerick are over the edge. Its not true of course. They get pinged all the time but still the narrative is there that they are somehow getting away with their fouling or over physical approach. Untrue of course .
    What I would say to Waterford people is this is not a new gripe from you. I remember Clare took you apart physically in 98 and Cork before that . You didn't address the lack of ruthlessness and physicality. Its still your biggest issue. And I love Waterford hurling.

Advertisement