Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Gardner

The Kirwan transfer is a complete joke. 2 clubs are a logger heads over it and rightly so.

As for amalgamation of clubs. It's a good idea in general but clubs themselves are generally against it. I believe Erin's Own and St Saviours toyed with idea after amalgamation at minor and under 21 way back in the 00s which brought some relative success. But one club voted for it and the other didn't. They would probably be a senior hurling and football club now if that went through.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Gardner wrote: »
    The Kirwan transfer is a complete joke. 2 clubs are a logger heads over it and rightly so.

As for amalgamation of clubs. It's a good idea in general but clubs themselves are generally against it. I believe Erin's Own and St Saviours toyed with idea after amalgamation at minor and under 21 way back in the 00s which brought some relative success. But one club voted for it and the other didn't. They would probably be a senior hurling and football club now if that went through.

https://waterford-news.ie/2021/01/22/anomaly-in-transfer-and-assist-rules-in-waterford-gaa/

Yes ok. If he wanted senior club hurling you’d rather see him going to a club like Clonea than Ballygunner or De la salle getting him

It's a wonder mt Sion didn't come in and try and poach him

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

Yes ok. If he wanted senior club hurling you’d rather see him going to a club like Clonea than Ballygunner or De la salle getting him

he wouldnt get on either the De la sale or ballygunner team, that is reality. He is way off senior county hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Tom Feeney has been added to Liam Cahill’s backroom team as selector, presumably in place of Stephen Molumphy.

Wasn’t Feeney on the appointment committee that interviewed Cahill along with Stephen Frampton? Now both of them are selectors, that is strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Dublin Dave 2014

DiscoStew wrote:
    You do realise 2 of the teams you mentioned above are currently senior?

Absolutely, but there is nothing gained watching any team hammered at any level. Wouldn't it be great to see a group team put it up to Ballygunner , seeing a competitive challange at the top

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Tom Feeney has been added to Liam Cahill’s backroom team as selector, presumably in place of Stephen Molumphy.

https://waterford-news.ie/2021/01/23/feeney-joins-cahills-deise-setup/

Says here Molumphy stepped away due to work commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I must admit to being disappointed at the new additions (or, rather, the lack of new additions) to the county hurling panel announced by Liam Cahill last week. This assumes, of course, that these are the only additions to the panel.

On the latter point, it would be nice if Liam Cahill (and all Waterford hurling managers) would publish the names of each year’s new panel, as they do in Cork. It would rein in the endless speculation which surrounds the panel, and would be a courtesy to Waterford’s army of loyal supporters who put a great interest in this issue.

I am mainly disappointed that none of the promising young talent who put their hands up in this year’s county championship, and, indeed, in the recent Under 20 game against Tipperary, have been recognised. Michael Kiely had already been named in last year’s panel before injury ruled him out for the year. Shane Bennett, DJ Foran and Seamus Keating are all familiar figures, and I’m not aware that any of them stood out in the county championships. The same could be said about Tonto Douglas who was very prominent at Harty Cup level but, in my experience, has done nothing special since to deserve this call-up.

This is not to say that I have any reservations about Bennett, Foran and Keating being called up and am glad to see them on board. It’s just that in my view there are a lot of players on the existing panel (assuming none of them have been dropped) who are not up to it and should have been replaced. Keating’s call-up is obviously in response to the loss of Tadhg de Búrca and Darragh Fives, but I think on his own merits he deserves a place. He never got a sustained run in the panel before and hopefully he will deliver on his potential.

It is a terrible pity to see Darragh Fives apparently ending his intercounty career. He is a terrific hurler and could have gone down as one of Waterford’s best ever if he had not been beset by recurring injury. He seemed to have got over these problems in 2017 when he played in every one of Waterford’s championship games and was a key factor in them reaching the All-Ireland final. He came on as a sub in their first game, against Cork in the Munster semi-final, which Waterford lost. He then started (and finished) the qualifier games against Offaly and Kilkenny (a famous win) and the All-Ireland quarter final (against Wexford), semi-final (against Cork) and final (against Galway).

However, the recurring injuries returned the following year, starting with Waterford’s first championship game against Clare, when almost the entire Waterford defence got injured up in Ennis. In 2020 he played in Waterford’s first two league games (against Cork and Westmeath) but missed the remaining three due to injury. However, he returned for Tourin in the club championship during the summer and, according to Liam Cahill, he was doing really well in training for the county team until struck down once again in the week before Waterford’s first game in the Munster championship against Cork.

We can only empathise with him in his misfortune, thank him for his great contribution to Waterford teams since he first burst on the scene with the minor team which won the Munster championship in 2009, and wish him all the best for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

I agree with giveitfong with regard to the players being called up. The U20's should have beaten Tipperary but I'd guess the majority of the players that played well are probably U20 either this or next year.

Apart from Bennett, I don't see any of the new additions pushing for championship involvement.

• Advertisement

Waternut wrote: »
    I agree with giveitfong with regard to the players being called up. The U20's should have beaten Tipperary but I'd guess the majority of the players that played well are probably U20 either this or next year.

Apart from Bennett, I don't see any of the new additions pushing for championship involvement.
    Who would you like to see called up that would push for championship involvement ?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

Waternut wrote:

If Douglas can get up to the required fitness and strength and conditioning level required for inter county then he certainly has all the ability to make a genuine scoring forward for us .

• Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Maurice should of been given a go, he might fit into Cahills Style. Noel Connors would prob struggle with the style

Looking forward to the new season whenever it finally kicks off. All for having the league

Who would you like to see called up that would push for championship involvement ?
    To get to the speed of championship and have the necessary fitness and conditioning work done, I suggest there probably isn't anyone apart from Bennett this year - especially given that training and preparations will likely be hampered with CO-VID.

I would have probably picked Fitzgerald and Leavy from the U20 game acknowledging that both also played well for their respective clubs last year.

Douglas is an interesting pick. From what I've seen, he has potential but there are also lingering doubts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JD60

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Maurice should of been given a go, he might fit into Cahills Style. Noel Connors would prob struggle with the style

Looking forward to the new season whenever it finally kicks off. All for having the league

Would you get over the fact that Maurice and Connors have left the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

JD60 wrote: »
    Would you get over the fact that Maurice and Connors have left the stage.
    Would that be in the same way ,people should get over Darragh fives ,, Maurice is a proven forward of class , unlike some that are still harked upon

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Would that be in the same way ,people should get over Darragh fives ,, Maurice is a proven forward of class , unlike some that are still harked upon

Wouldn't go that far now. A good option off the bench but not good enough to start regularly under the last 3 managers

The boat has sailed with this one unfortunately and it's no disrespect to the man because you genuinely couldn't meet a nicer man than Maurice.

It's a younger man's game and the modern forward needs to be mobile and have pace. Both Maurice and Noel were fantastic but Waterford need to now look to the future. And by the way, I think Moran's number is up too.

The younger lads need to be given an opportunity and we need to invest properly in our underage teams and structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

I read during the week, but can’t recall where now, that Cahill is planning on working closely with the U20 panel this year. The article said he had asked the county board to stick with Stephen Gough’s management team rather than the alternative choice of Gary Morahan’s management team. Morahan’s team included former players Noel Connors & Tommy Ryan, as well as former coach Pa Kearney. Cahill was worried about there being a conflict with such links to the previous management team seemingly.

I read during the week, but can’t recall where now, that Cahill is planning on working closely with the U20 panel this year. The article said he had asked the county board to stick with Stephen Gough’s management team rather than the alternative choice of Gary Morahan’s management team. Morahan’s team included former players Noel Connors & Tommy Ryan, as well as former coach Pa Kearney. Cahill was worried about there being a conflict with such links to the previous management team seemingly.

If that’s true then it’s actually a positive thing to see that Cahill is invested in the longer term future of Waterford hurling. I disagree with giveitfong who reckons we should have called up more of the U20’s, as Waternut alluded to they ‘should have’ beaten Tipp but the bottom line is they didn’t close it out. That indicates to me that these players have a bit to go yet, thankfully a large number are underage again this year so they have a chance to push on and do themselves justice before stepping up to senior. The best of them, Daly and Kiely are already involved in the senior panel but the rest of them have to prove themselves.

• Advertisement

BazBox wrote: »
    Wouldn't go that far now. A good option off the bench but not good enough to start regularly under the last 3 managers
    Those three managers won all around them , fair play to all three

The boat has sailed with this one unfortunately and it's no disrespect to the man because you genuinely couldn't meet a nicer man than Maurice.

It's a younger man's game and the modern forward needs to be mobile and have pace. Both Maurice and Noel were fantastic but Waterford need to now look to the future. And by the way, I think Moran's number is up too.

The younger lads need to be given an opportunity and we need to invest properly in our underage teams and structures.
    Moran finished with years imo, grand when he has possession , but a marker , totally finished

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40217390.html?fbclid=IwAR0uXjazv9Xl4dkTAIUERXdXHc0UDHYS0_-TPobP8Mjk9NrOwkXKpULUnTM

This is absolutely desperate. That they paid other panels and of course all the officer expenses shows the complete contempt with which football is treated.

Reality is this wouldn’t be sorted only for it ended up in media. There are now very direct comparisons between waterford gaa and the fai.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40217390.html?fbclid=IwAR0uXjazv9Xl4dkTAIUERXdXHc0UDHYS0_-TPobP8Mjk9NrOwkXKpULUnTM

This is absolutely desperate. That they paid other panels and of course all the officer expenses shows the complete contempt with which football is treated.

Reality is this wouldn’t be sorted only for it ended up in media. There are now very direct comparisons between waterford gaa and the fai.

That is poor form. You would want to be fairly committed to play football for Waterford and have a thick skin, as the players get treated so poorly and as second class citizens.

The excuse in the final paragraph is absolute rubbish.

"Jackson said the remote nature of last month's convention was the reason clubs were not made aware of the cash flow issues around paying expenses: "In the past we would have been able to put the breakdown on the screen and available for clubs to discuss with us, but that wasn't possible when we were meeting with Microsoft Teams."

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

Deskjockey wrote:
    "Jackson said the remote nature of last month's convention was the reason clubs were not made aware of the cash flow issues around paying expenses: "In the past we would have been able to put the breakdown on the screen and available for clubs to discuss with us, but that wasn't possible when we were meeting with Microsoft Teams."

Was he not able to click the share screen button !! Ridiculous stuff in this day and age .

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

The disrespect for football by some of our hurling overlords at board level is hardly surprising.

It's been accepted and tolerated for years.

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    Was he not able to click the share screen button !! Ridiculous stuff in this day and age .

They surely shared stuff at the agm?!

Deskjockey wrote: »
    That is poor form. You would want to be fairly committed to play football for Waterford and have a thick skin, as the players get treated so poorly and as second class citizens.

The excuse in the final paragraph is absolute rubbish.

This is an embarrassing response from Jackson. This guy been involved in administration in GAA with 40 years and that’s the best he can come up with?
    Time to go Johnny.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

This is an embarrassing response from Jackson. This guy been involved in administration in GAA with 40 years and that’s the best he can come up with?
    Time to go Johnny.

This isn’t just about football v hurling again and which one gets treated better. Some of our senior hurlers haven’t gotten their expenses either, nor the senior footballers, minor hurlers, minor footballers or u-20 Hurlers. I expect most people on here are club members just go and ask your club colleagues, who are on county panels,have they been paid their expenses? The accounts were done up to the 31/10/20” IF” the accounts have on them that the players were paid before then, then the board, financial controller, treasurer lied to the auditor and so the books were then effectively cooked, which is illegal and is a criminal offence. “IF” they don’t show that the players were paid before the 31/10 then the €34,000 for the u-20 football seems absolutely crazy for 15 training sessions and 4 matches. Of the 25 training sessions that were had 14 of them were in the Fraher Field/show grounds, so paying for a venue was an issue there. For the 19 times they met up works out at roughly €1750 per occasion. If that’s the case a major review needs to be carried out. Then a full breakdown of the €34,000 needs to be provided by the board.

Outside of all of these things, are the finances of the board and the management of these finances not a worry to people? If at the 31/10 we were in debt to the tune of €230,000 and the vast majority of our expenses from 2020 occurred between October and December. We could be potentially in debt to the tune of €500,000 right now. That’s mind blowing. As in any business you just can’t keep piling debt on top of debt.

The accounts need a proper investigation, something similar to what croke park did with the Galway finances a few years ago. There’s no way anyone is suggesting that anybody is on the take but it’s more to the fact that certain individuals are incapable of looking after the finances of the county.

On a side note, where’s the results of the review that was promised? Cork have had 2 reviews done after our one began and Offaly are carrying out a very comprehensive review and everybody gets to have an input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

Deisefacts wrote: »
    This isn’t just about football v hurling again and which one gets treated better. Some of our senior hurlers haven’t gotten their expenses either, nor the senior footballers, minor hurlers, minor footballers or u-20 Hurlers. I expect most people on here are club members just go and ask your club colleagues, who are on county panels,have they been paid their expenses? The accounts were done up to the 31/10/20” IF” the accounts have on them that the players were paid before then, then the board, financial controller, treasurer lied to the auditor and so the books were then effectively cooked, which is illegal and is a criminal offence. “IF” they don’t show that the players were paid before the 31/10 then the €34,000 for the u-20 football seems absolutely crazy for 15 training sessions and 4 matches. Of the 25 training sessions that were had 14 of them were in the Fraher Field/show grounds, so paying for a venue was an issue there. For the 19 times they met up works out at roughly €1750 per occasion. If that’s the case a major review needs to be carried out. Then a full breakdown of the €34,000 needs to be provided by the board.

Outside of all of these things, are the finances of the board and the management of these finances not a worry to people? If at the 31/10 we were in debt to the tune of €230,000 and the vast majority of our expenses from 2020 occurred between October and December. We could be potentially in debt to the tune of €500,000 right now. That’s mind blowing. As in any business you just can’t keep piling debt on top of debt.

The accounts need a proper investigation, something similar to what croke park did with the Galway finances a few years ago. There’s no way anyone is suggesting that anybody is on the take but it’s more to the fact that certain individuals are incapable of looking after the finances of the county.

On a side note, where’s the results of the review that was promised? Cork have had 2 reviews done after our one began and Offaly are carrying out a very comprehensive review and everybody gets to have an input.

Also, John Jackson never attended the county board AGM so the chairman stated that there would be no questions asked in relation to finances at the AGM. It must also be stated that the treasurer job isn’t what it was before. The main 2 people over the finances in the county are the financial controller and county secretary( who were both logged on the night of the meeting).

Advertisement