Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Show-Friday 15th January 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Time for a bit of Graham I think.

There's an Irish Western called Klondike starting on RTE2 shortly. It's a good show, and hopefully it will cheer me up after this misery fest.

Macdarack wrote: »
    Can't be much left in this show, the audience is of similar demographic to church goers, literally a dieing breed bar a share of nutters who watch this s€€t show for a laugh and whine.

The irony here is that like comment on like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Tubridy's bizarre obsession with pushing the misery angle of the Late Late was hammered home tonight. I don't see how that interview will help McGuigan or anyone viewing.

There is a disturbingly voyeuristic aspect to this wallowing and rejoicing in other people's grief. It's deeply unhealthy.

I stand to be corrected, but did Barry McGuigan say that Tubridy contacted him unsolicited at the time of his daughters funeral to offer condolences. The plan for an interview presumably followed on from this. It would make you wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭KevRossi

How it started....

KevRossi wrote: »
    After the week that was, he'll have three people on having suffered recent breavements or talking about them. Along with this, Brenda Fricker on to talk about the homes (fair enough).

No illness there, unless he taps up Barry McGuigan about how his daughter died, or else he can squeeze out something from the OT contestants, like diabetes or similar.

It's insane how devoted they are to the whole illness and death thing and it only seems to get worse year after year. It has to be driven by the host, neither Gaybo nor Kenny had such a fixation on the topics.

How it's going....
    con747 wrote: »
    Spend 5 minutes telling RTE how you feel about the direction Gay Byrnes show has taken, I just did. info@rte.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Gear yourself up for all the emails and messages he'll be reading out in praise of himself on Monday.

I think a line has been crossed tonight.

Crying on the sofa with a glass of red wine will become the new crying in the kitchen /car.

I turned LLS off before Barry began. Reading back, it looks like I dodged a bullet.

There's enough doom and gloom in real life without imposing more on yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭HBC08

Emailed my complaint to complaints@rte.ie and told them the only reason I watch is to comment on social media as has become appalling in its misery content in recent years, and reached its zenith tonight.

Just sent one to this.
    Never thought of myself as a complainer to national broadcasters before! I've turned into me Da!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTE all over Twitter trying to cover their hole, the phoneline they mention opens at 10am tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/RTELateLateShow/status/1350224266776686592
    https://twitter.com/rte/status/1350230320449249282

The LLS in recent years =

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f2919d83ae498472104861b3d83effb69dc5398d31f&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

RTE all over Twitter trying to cover their hole, the phoneline they mention opens at 10am tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/RTELateLateShow/status/1350224266776686592
    https://twitter.com/rte/status/1350230320449249282

Eh I just watched it on delay.
    A bit heavy for a Friday night isn't it.
    I hope some people who were watching it and grieving got some comfort from it but I'm at a bit of a loss as to who would benefit from it.
    Wouldn't it just make grieving people feel more miserable.
    Could we not have something maybe a bit more light hearted next Friday?
    If RTE read this.
    People need cheering up.
    This wouldn't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,732 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lost my father a few months ago, I should have switched off sooner. Tubs is a sadist.

I'm very sorry

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    Crying on the sofa with a glass of red wine will become the new crying in the kitchen /car.

I turned LLS off before Barry began. Reading back, it looks like I dodged a bullet.

It's actually very poor form putting it out at this hour of night when people don't even have the option of going on a walk to clear their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

A few more regulars here should complain. See how we get on.

Maybe we could change our show..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 85,732 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Derry girls any good - or a bit overrated ?

Yes it is good, love the grandfather and Michelle the most, the 90s music is great in it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Emailed my complaint to complaints@rte.ie and told them the only reason I watch is to comment on social media as has become appalling in its misery content in recent years, and reached its zenith tonight.

Ah hold on, I love this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

sligojoek wrote: »

You dodged the bullet alright, it was heartwrenching stuff and there was n'er a tear in Tubridy's eye...very telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

You dodged the bullet alright, it was heartwrenching stuff and there was n'er a tear in Tubridy's eye...very telling.

He enjoys it.

He enjoys it.

Nauseating to see all the tweets telling Ryan how wonderfully sensitive he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

You know the LLS has crossed the line when even boards can't get any craic out of it.

Thank **** I tuned out.

You'd think he'd dribble some Optrex in when the camera is off just to show us how much genuine empathy he has.

Some backlash on the Twitter machine, but not as much as I expected.

RTE seems to have formed the view that they can't be criticised for broadcasting misery, it's almost taboo. They may have a point.

• Advertisement

Nauseating to see all the tweets telling Ryan how wonderfully sensitive he is.

Absolutely Cat-there are a couple of us bucking the trend thankfully ;)

FB is generally the same, but I always put that down to RTE deleting unfavourable commentary-they generally turn off YT comments on their videos for the same reason.

Some backlash on the Twitter machine, but not as much as I expected.

RTE seems to have formed the view that they can't be criticised for broadcasting misery, it's almost taboo. They may have a point.

It feels absolutely horrible to comment negatively on Twitter, particularly with the receiving Twitter handle of Barry, very difficult to complain without seeming to be bitter, churlish, and insensitive.

It's actually very poor form putting it out at this hour of night when people don't even have the option of going on a walk to clear their heads.

There was a time i used to post

"Fcuk this. I'm off to the pub", around 10 every Friday night. God be with the days.

It feels absolutely horrible to comment negatively on Twitter, particularly with the receiving Twitter handle of Barry, very difficult to complain without seeming to be bitter, churlish, and insensitive.

Oh god I know! I'm not too au fait with Twitter so tried to remove him from the list of people I was replying to a couple of times!

Like I say, it's seen as bad form to make negative commentary on sensitive topics, and RTE and Toyman know this only too well.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Some don’t, I traced mine. It didn’t go well, rejection once is bad, try it a 2nd time.

That's the thing. It's not all a Cilla Black show. No two cases are the same.

A good friend of mine only met his real mother a few years ago in his late 50s. He met her twice after that and never wants to see his brothers and sisters again.

After being fostered, he was raised on a farm in the west. His parents were from somewhere completely different.

He grieved more over his foster mother than his real mother.

Oh god I know! I'm not too au fait with Twitter so tried to remove him from the list of people I was replying to a couple of times!

Like I say, it's seen as bad form to make negative commentary on sensitive topics, and RTE and Toyman know this only too well.

Twitter is really best for quick factual updates, and leaves a lot to be desired as a vehicle for commentary as when so used it's a for-me or against-me type of format.

Twitter is really best for quick factual updates, and leaves a lot to be desired as a vehicle for commentary as when so used it's a for-me or against-me type of format.

A pure echo chamber, so to speak. It's a source of some frustration to you and me both I think, when people say the same about the Radio forum.

A pure echo chamber, so to speak. It's a source of some frustration to you and me both I think, when people say the same about the Radio forum.

I just checked FB. 7k likes.

Has the world gone mad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

HBC08 wrote: »
    I know that things can be overstated on this thread but Tubridy really is a horrible, shameless vessel.
    He is such a terrible creation.
    I'm genuinely ashamed knowing he will be on again next week.

What is compelling you to watch him?

Don't think I've tuned in in over ten years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭bloopy

It is a place where people go to one-up each other on how emotional, empathetic and sympathetic they are. A way to prove how much of a good person you are.
    It is a purity contest which never ends.

Of course nobody was going to criticize the interview - that might be seen as being insensitive to Barry Maguigan rather than annoyed at RTE.

Advertisement