Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Show-Friday 15th January 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Greentopia wrote: »
    Maybe he thought he could handle it when he agreed but clearly he's not in any fit state to give interviews yet. I think Tubs or the producers should have advised him as gently as possible to postpone it.

Surely this could have been pre-recorded like a lot of other LLS interviews recently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

It’s also knowing he’ll be gushing about how great the interview went on his radio show on Monday morning.

If that was a great interview I’m the fcukin king of Honolulu.

Anyone associated with the research and production of that late late show tonight should be ashamed of themselves.I’m annoyed after watching it.

Greentopia wrote: »
    Maybe he thought he could handle it when he agreed but clearly he's not in any fit state to give interviews yet. I think Tubs or the producers should have advised him as gently as possible to postpone it.

I don't think a parent is ever ready, when their son or daughter has died quite unexpectedly as she did, going from apparent good health to death from a disease in less than two months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

And just because Barry wanted to go on doesn't mean it should be done that way. He could have done a recorded interview. Advised now wasn't the time.

That interview served nobody. I don't think it will do Barry any good either. It's not as if Tubridy is a grief counselor.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Jaysus tough week, dry January. Glad I didn't bother watching tonight.

Just don't be in any way tempted to watch it on replay.

• Advertisement

On live tv - you serious.

I am. If I were close to Barry I would try and persuade him not to go on live television. At the end of the day though I would have to respect his wishes and if he felt it would help then so be it.

If I were part of the Late Late show team I would turn down his request to speak but I may be persuaded if I felt it could open up a conversation around grief and how those not affected directly deal with those who are.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Wishox wrote: »
    After tonights show lads, would it be a good idea to finally make a complaint to this ****ty show for its content, we all normally have a bit of craic on here watching it but i think tonight after Barrys interview just tops it off for me
    It’s also knowing he’ll be gushing about how great the interview went on his radio show on Monday morning.

Clickbait sorted for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭HBC08

Wishox wrote: »
    ? Women all over the country taking on the Poxy sounding D4 accent, drives me mad and turns me off anyone using it, Use your own accents ladys Up sexy cork :0

I lived in Galway for 5 years,that's not within an asses roar of a Galway accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I don't think a parent is ever ready, when their son or daughter has died quite unexpectedly as she did, going from apparent good health to death from a disease in less than two months.

My mother always told me that we are not capable of dealing with the death of our kids, seemingly it’s a survival mechanism.

No idea if she was talking rubbish or not though tbh

sligojoek wrote: »
    Clickbait sorted for the week.

Will Duffy be hosting de misery about de misery do to speak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

KungPao wrote: »
    Is that Mailbag show still on!?

We really need to tell RTE to cop the **** on. That was terrible television. Dire, dire stuff.

Eh - I think mailbag was on about 35 years ago

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I am. If I were close to Barry I would try and persuade him not to go on live television. At the end of the day though I would have to respect his wishes and if he felt it would help then so be it.

If I were part of the Late Late show team I would turn down his request to speak but I may be persuaded if I felt it could open up a conversation around grief and how those not affected directly deal with those who are.

So he should not have been on tv - well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,096 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Arduach wrote: »
    And just because Barry wanted to go on doesn't mean it should be done that way. He could have done a recorded interview. Advised now wasn't the time.

That interview served nobody. I don't think it will do Barry any good either. It's not as if Tubridy is a grief counselor.

The whole thing was just odd..

Nothing other than death is what is was and what it was for.

Even when Barry started, it went straight to a thank you to Ryan for calling him the day after Danika died..

Very odd..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Who is Barry?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭raglan

Barry also lost a sister recently around the time of the court case.

So he should not have been on tv - well said.

It certainly isn't what I would want for someone I cared about.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm pretty sure the interview was live rather than something recorded earlier in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,096 ✭✭✭✭walshb

raglan wrote: »
    Barry also lost a sister recently around the time of the court case.

Yes. That’s right!

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Tough watch this.

And imagine this ghoul is planning these interviews.
    Hes a cancer on national tv.

My mother always told me that we are not capable of dealing with the death of our kids, seemingly it’s a survival mechanism.

No idea if she was talking rubbish or not though tbh

Well certainly not the unexpected death of children in this era when their life expectancy is into the 80s-90s. Many years ago my mother said that in times of very high child mortality, and death of children was part of everybody's experience, it was not quite the absolute isolating experience of heartbreak it is now. Her grandparents had an endless line of children, at least half of whom died before their 20s. Of course it must have been appalling with each loss, but their friends, neighbours etc all lost lots of their children too. It was quite the bonus when people lived to become grandparents and retire. Now the death of a young person just isn't as acceptable when so much can be done to prevent young death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Hopefully both people watching tonights show are of strong will and mind.
    Arduach wrote: »
    That interview was wrong on so many levels.

Exploiting grief, fake sorrow from the host.

Also a lot of people are suffering with their mental health because of what's going on. That show would drive you to despair. May drive some.

If RTE really wanted to help, rather than putting on examples of how to wash our hands and forcing George Lee on us, they could but on a light entertainment show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Gear yourself up for all the emails and messages he'll be reading out in praise of himself on Monday.

I think a line has been crossed tonight.

Happy4all wrote: »
    Who is Barry?

Barry McGuigan, the boxer, on LLS expressing his grief over the loss of his lovely daughter who died unexpectedly of cancer in her 30s two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

People need to stop watching the Late Late. Unfortunately there are hundreds of thousands who still watch it every Friday.

Can't be much left in this show, the audience is of similar demographic to church goers, literally a dieing breed bar a share of nutters who watch this s€€t show for a laugh and whine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,275 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm complaining - disgraceful show. Not just the one piece . The full show was about death or being fat

Unfortunately that is what the show has become.

No major world stars or celebs want to do the show any more. That decline has been happening for years.

And there is only so often you can have Dermot Bannon, Francis Brennan, PJ Gallagher, Jason Byrne etc on. And all the rte staffers have been interviewed at this point.

So nothing left for it but double up on the misery. I mean it must be a simple planning meetings for the show at the start of the week....how much misery can we fit in this week.

That's the show now, it's only going to get worse.

Once OT is over, rte needs to fill it's tv and radio slots with people from other rte shows, so the dancing will probably start. Or some other reality show to keep the conveyor belt of guests coming.

One big depressing cycle of mediocrity.

Zeek12 wrote: »
    “Breaks my heart to see you like this”
    Tubs says.

Disingenuous doesn’t even describe it.
    He’s reveling in it.

Replacing any ideas for real entertainment with this exploitative interview.
    Shameful.

Feel awfully sorry for Barry. But this isn’t right.

I know that things can be overstated on this thread but Tubridy really is a horrible, shameless vessel.
    He is such a terrible creation.
    I'm genuinely ashamed knowing he will be on again next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Tubridy's bizarre obsession with pushing the misery angle of the Late Late was hammered home tonight. I don't see how that interview will help McGuigan or anyone viewing.

There is a disturbingly voyeuristic aspect to this wallowing and rejoicing in other people's grief. It's deeply unhealthy.

Time for a bit of Graham I think.

Emailed my complaint to complaints@rte.ie and told them the only reason I watch is to comment on social media as has become appalling in its misery content in recent years, and reached its zenith tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭con747

Spend 5 minutes telling RTE how you feel about the direction Gay Byrnes show has taken, I just did. info@rte.ie

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement