Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Show-Friday 15th January 2021

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

Is this not “par for course” with Irish tv/radio? I mean, it’s been Ray D’Arcy’s bread and butter since his last years with Today FM.

He was snapped up by RTÉ, on huge money, on the back of this. On TV there is always an “emotional” segment. Either parents who’s kid got through some horrible illness, or ones who’s didn’t.

Irish audiences, obviously, enjoy it because it’s pretty much “standard” across the air, and TV, waves. Joe Duffy is another one for trading on misery.

What I can’t understand, and this goes for the “Radio” forum too, why not just switch off if you don’t like it. In this day and age there is plenty of alternative entertainment out there, you really don’t need to suffer in anger. But, I guess, some just seem to want to.

Telling people to "switch off if you don't like it" isn't dealing with the issue, and might more typically be spouted by someone with skin in the game. We pay for our licenses, we expect our national broadcaster to deliver us a balance of emotions, not mainly sadness & grief. It is a complete misread of the audience to imagine this is what is wanted. However it's done for the reason that it's low cost. Entertainers with material are more expensive.

Why should we have to switch off the station we pay for, the one that formerly delivered us real entertainment going into the weekend, occasionally interspersed with emotional stories? It's a terrible indictment of the broadcaster to suggest that as being the best solution. I find it much better to express my opinion in the hopes that it is seen, heeded, and maybe some day makes for changes, at least with the next change of personnel behind the broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,746 ✭✭✭✭walshb

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Some don’t, I traced mine. It didn’t go well, rejection once is bad, try it a 2nd time.

Just saw this now..

Sorry to hear this, but it’s actual reality for some...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

New boards. I watched this last night. I don't know Barry McGuigan nor do I work for RTE.

I think many people lost the meaning behind last nights segment and the piece from Barry Mcguigan.

Barry lost his beloved, dear daughter and she died too young and before her time. Barry was a broken man in his grief. It was heartbreaking to watch.

Both Barry and Ryan made a connection to the Coronavirus. Please understand that Ireland is now in a very bad position with the virus. Our hospitals and ICU capacity is coming under strain.

I think there is two meanings behind last night's segment:

1) There will be many people and families experiencing grief like this over the coming weeks. There will be far too many people going before their time with this virus. The message is they are not alone. Ryan said that last night too.

2) Ireland is still in a bad way with cases over 3000 a day. It's still too high. If this continues there will be many more people seeing loved ones become sick and possibly die and before their time.

The message behind last nights segment is to stay at home and stop further spread of this virus. That's my understanding of it anyways.

What a load of b0llix. Danika McGuigan was 33 when she passed away. There will be very few, if any, 33 year olds passing away from Covid. Keep the Covid propaganda in the Covid threads please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭bloopy

Car99 wrote: »
    All the red tops saying how great a job Ryan did on the Barry McGuigan interview backed up by Twitter posts. Pure click bait rubbish as you would expect from any news/media outfit these days.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/other-sport/rte-viewers-say-same-thing-23329321

It is to be expected.
    RTE is little more than tabloid journalism dressed up as current affairs these days.

Is this not “par for course” with Irish tv/radio? I mean, it’s been Ray D’Arcy’s bread and butter since his last years with Today FM.

He was snapped up by RTÉ, on huge money, on the back of this. On TV there is always an “emotional” segment. Either parents who’s kid got through some horrible illness, or ones who’s didn’t.

Irish audiences, obviously, enjoy it because it’s pretty much “standard” across the air, and TV, waves. Joe Duffy is another one for trading on misery.

What I can’t understand, and this goes for the “Radio” forum too, why not just switch off if you don’t like it. In this day and age there is plenty of alternative entertainment out there, you really don’t need to suffer in anger. But, I guess, some just seem to want to.

Well I would like to see some local entertainment on RTE with local talent. Gramhan is fine but it is British and US talent mostly. Or Irish talent that is worldwide famous but that is rare.

You are right about misery, we do seem to love it here. Or some do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭bloopy

New boards. I watched this last night. I don't know Barry McGuigan nor do I work for RTE.

I think many people lost the meaning behind last nights segment and the piece from Barry Mcguigan.

Barry lost his beloved, dear daughter and she died too young and before her time. Barry was a broken man in his grief. It was heartbreaking to watch.

Both Barry and Ryan made a connection to the Coronavirus. Please understand that Ireland is now in a very bad position with the virus. Our hospitals and ICU capacity is coming under strain.

I think there is two meanings behind last night's segment:

1) There will be many people and families experiencing grief like this over the coming weeks. There will be far too many people going before their time with this virus. The message is they are not alone. Ryan said that last night too.

2) Ireland is still in a bad way with cases over 3000 a day. It's still too high. If this continues there will be many more people seeing loved ones become sick and possibly die and before their time.

The message behind last nights segment is to stay at home and stop further spread of this virus. That's my understanding of it anyways.

Absolute Bull.
    It is wallowing, pure and simple.
    And as a nation we are all up to our necks in this **** with RTE acting as the wallower-in-chief.

We know all about the god-damn virus, but allowing it to consume us absolutely will destroy our society long before the disease.
    There is nothing but f**king doom on the radio and TV all the time. It is incessant. All anyone talks about is the virus - it has become the biggest and most salacious gossip topic of all time.

Well I would like to see some local entertainment on RTE with local talent. Gramhan is fine but it is British and US talent mostly. Or Irish talent that is worldwide famous but that is rare.

You are right about misery, we do seem to love it here. Or some do.

I like my share of poignant real-life stories, as was done in the past, it's more the extent to which it is done now is the problem. There would have been far less negative comment about last night's LLS had it been otherwise entertaining, had most other shows been entertaining. I don't have to have top level entertainment all the time, but there's stuff that could be done during this pandemic, eg maybe see some efforts by zoom of "celebrities" who are attempting to learn a musical instrument, learning online or self taught. Or doing some artistic painting, or anything novel & creative. That would be light, maybe inspirational, and could be entertaining, and for those who really succeed, another feather in the cap. Those who try and have less success could inspire ourselves to have a go and "do better", and we'd admire, like and identify with their efforts. And no sadness involved! Personally I would enjoy that very much, and I think Ryan could handle it nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think part of the problem now is if you criticise anything now you are a labeled a troll.
    Ryan locks himself in a positive box and he believes he great and national treasure.

I think part of the problem now is if you criticise anything now you are a labeled a troll.
    Ryan locks himself in a positive box and he believes he great and national treasure.

Well, as mod, I made two RT radio show threads due to the ongoing "politics" over it, but won't go much into that here, except that one way or another some folk are quite outraged that freedom of opinion is being facilitated.

He should be speaking to a therapist, not a rat faced, fievel look-a-like, misery ghoul.

Yes he should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Well, as mod, I made two RT radio show threads due to the ongoing "politics" over it, but won't go much into that here, except that one way or another some folk are quite outraged that freedom of opinion is bring facilitated.

Has a boards.ie mod ever broke bad? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I have a big problem where RTE exploit people's emotions to get cheap plaudits, and Tubridy is the worst for this. The Toy Show is full of it. Suprising kids with their relations coming home unexpectedly / meeting a pop star / giving them a big prize etc then filming their reactions and broadcasting it. On youtube these are called "reaction" videos and are considered to a cheap and unoriginal way of getting clicks. But when Tubridy does it everybody goes "ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, isn't that nice". It's also hugely irresponsible as you never know what sort of reaction the child could have with the shock. And if it's on live TV then it's gonna be on the internet forever.

They do the same with adults, like exploiting Barry McGuigan the other night. But the adults are old enough to decide for themselves if they wish to be fodder for an RTE show.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,140 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Brace yourself tomorrow morning when Ryan reads out all the listeners e-mails.

“I was in tears on Friday night during Barry’s interview...”

:mad:

Brace yourself tomorrow morning when Ryan reads out all the listeners e-mails.

“I was in tears on Friday night during Barry’s interview...”

:mad:

"The reaction to our show on Friday night was quite unprecedented. All I can do to illustrate what I mean here is to read you out a few comments we received over the weekend....

...With all the depressing news around I was feeling quite sorry for myself Ryan; that was until you brought on the segment where Barry McGuigan showed us what sorrow is. Thank you Ryan, you have put my life in perspective...."

"The reaction to our show on Friday night was quite unprecedented. All I can do to illustrate what I mean here is to read you out a few comments we received over the weekend....

...With all the depressing news around I was feeling quite sorry for myself Ryan; that was until you brought on the segment where Barry McGuigan showed us what sorrow is. Thank you Ryan, you have put my life in perspective...."

Maybe that is what works for some people. For me when I watch a depressing story or somebodies sorrow it hardly makes me feel better about myself, but worse for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭anewme

walshb wrote: »
    This topic has been 24/7 since Tuesday...

It doesn’t need to be on again tI night.

But of course it is. It’s the Late Late!

Oh, so its annoying you since Tuesday?

What about the children who grew up abused and institutionalised and never knew where they belonged. ? What about their families?

For some it's taken a lifetime to be heard. Let's put years of abuse and wrongdoing to one side, since it's been 24/7 since Tuesday and as its now 3 days later and its Friday, it's time to get over it, so people can have some thing more entertaining to amuse them for the weekend, as they tuck into their spice bags and beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

This Friday night they are switching off a life support machine live in studio. Hopefully the patient will sign off before the end of the show.
    Brian Ormond is doing the honours

Advertisement