Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocaine etc is everywhere?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The point was: if a substance can kill some people upon ingrstion, it should be banned.

My point is: this is fallacy.

Proven.

Your interpretation/representation of the poster's point is fallacious.

They did not say that any substance that can kill some people upon ingestion should be banned. So you've built a strawman.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Amirani wrote: »
    Your interpretation/representation of the poster's point is fallacious.

They did not say that any substance that can kill some people upon ingestion should be banned. So you've built a strawman.

... then why say "it can kill in one line" if not that?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

... then why say "it can kill in one line" if not that?

Because it can, and that's clearly a valid factor to consider when deciding whether or not it should be legalised.

That's not the same thing as saying that it's the only factor, nor indeed that everything that has that potential should be made illegal.

Amirani wrote: »
    Because it can, and that's clearly a valid factor to consider when deciding whether or not it should be legalised.

That's not the same thing as saying that it's the only factor, nor indeed that everything that has that potential should be made illegal.

Not saying it isn't, but again, we could say the same about the peanuts.

What you are trying to argue here is that the likelihood is possibly higher. And you may or may not be right. But the counter to that is that if it was legalised, it could be made safer.

This is the catch-22 situation: it is illegal because it is dangerous, but it is dangerous because it's illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Seriously? Their lives were a mess with drug abuse. Unless your specifically talking about how people died.

Yeah the swimming pool was the real problem

Yes, a quick google search will tell you how those 3 people died. I never said they didn't use mind-altering substances, but it wasn't cocaine that they died from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

What you are trying to argue here is that the likelihood is possibly higher. And you may or may not be right. But the counter to that is that if it was legalised, it could be made safer.

This is the catch-22 situation: it is illegal because it is dangerous, but it is dangerous because it's illegal.

Cocaine has killed many celebrities over the years.

I don't know of any celebrities that died from peanuts.

Alfred123 wrote: »
    No, he doesn't know what he's talking about, Gazz.

Like i say, let them show how the Coke and elephant tranquilizer is destroying to their brain cells

Their own posts here are the best argument can be levelled against the legalization of Coke

One could laugh at the logic if it were not so tragic

Your anecdote/joke about the lady in Ballsbridge almost made me laugh, but your inacurrate opinions on cocaine would be far more hilarious if the topic wasn't so serious.

Big Gerry wrote: »
    Cocaine has killed many celebrities over the years.

I don't know of any celebrities that died from peanuts.

Think you're mistaken me for another poster - I know nothing about celebrities? It's not like they're a very representative demographic.

I'm any case, 53 people died from Cocaine poisoning in 2017, last year I could find numbers for. No idea star the number for peanuts was, but alcohol poisoning racked up 125.

https://www.hrb.ie/news/press-releases/single-press-release/article/drug-related-deaths-hrb-publishes-latest-figures/

So, yes. Substances and be ingested and they can kill. Legal ones and illegal ones. They can kill one person instantly and have no effect on someone else. But at 53, it's going to be a very small percentage of the people who take it and don't die.

1990sman wrote: »
    drugs are for idiots?

So Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger are idiots. They both made millions from their music, 'dated' the most beautiful women on the planet, received knighthoods, are idolized wherever they go and are still alive well into their seventies. I must check the definition of the word idiot, if ur right then it's not what I thought it meant.

Prohibition has worked in many situations and places. Prohibition of smoking in the work place, in pubs and on public transport has overwhelmingly worked. The war on drink driving in recent years has also worked.

I'm talking about alcohol or illegal drugs.

• Advertisement

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Asked a neighbor the other day how her son was getting on , hadnt seen him in yonks.
    Turns out hes in hidsbedroom for last 12 months suffering with depression from cocaine/weed use , was a fine young man , good at sport and fairly good at school, now his brain is fried from cocaine and weed and he can hardly make himself a cup of tea, great stuff these drugs .

Did prohibition prevent your friends' son from using drugs, can u prove drugs caused his depression. Some people use drugs to mask it and yes I always thought they were great stuff, do did Keith Richards and Maradona.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Big Gerry wrote: »
    Interesting I didn't know Bowman was a coke head.

There must be nobody in RTE that isn't one.

Had almost had his house repossessed by the bank and was able to chatter to people non-stop. Off his head on the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,986 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It could be made safer in theory as in the quality control of the drug, manufacturing processes, ingredients etc.. regulation in theory would make it safer. Not safe but safer in that it would be purer.

If you buy a bag now, according to the most recent studies approximately 40%-60% of the content of the cocaine you buy is pure... the rest are additives... Caffeine, cornstarch, lactose, sugar, quinine, Paracetamol and dental anaesthetics like benzocaine and lidocaine have all been detected in cocaine seized by police forces in the US and Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Tomaldo wrote: »
    Did prohibition prevent your friends' son from using drugs, can u prove drugs caused his depression. Some people use drugs to mask it and yes I always thought they were great stuff, do did Keith Richards and Maradona.

So you're using a man who died well before his time and had numerous health problems over the years to justify drug use? FFS.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    So you're using a man who died well before his time and had numerous health problems over the years to justify drug use? FFS.

He lived 'til he was sixty, a lot of health-fanatics didn't reach that milestone. His autopsy revealed he had no illegal drugs in his system at the time of his death. I believe he was being treated for alcohol-dependency before he died. He also lived slightly longer than that other soccer-legend, George Best and it wasn't cocaine that killed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

From what I hear from work colleagues is that the younger generation are very conscious of their appearance so don’t want to go out drinking x amount of pints due to a weight increase. By getting coke they can get high at an ok price and keep their figure.

He lived 'til he was sixty, a lot of health-fanatics didn't reach that milestone.

Most who take care of themselves and are lucky enough not to have genetic health conditions do in fact reach that milestone, and many retain good health into their 80s and 90s.
    His autopsy revealed he had no illegal drugs in his system at the time of his death. I believe he was being treated for alcohol-dependency before he died.He also lived slightly longer than that other soccer-legend, George Best and it wasn't cocaine that killed him.

That fact that another, and legal, addictive drug also causes massive health and societal problems does not legitimise cocaine use.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Most who take care of themselves and are lucky enough not to have genetic health conditions do in fact reach that milestone, and many retain good health into their 80s and 90s.

That fact that another, and legal, addictive drug also causes massive health and societal problems does not legitimise cocaine use.

You’re doing nobody any favours living to 80s and 90s

How does it affect you badly if somebody uses coke, why do you have such a puritanical opinion on others enjoying themselves. Whatever happened to that argument used in another debate 'My body, my choice'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I prefer meth.

joking

but I would like to try it once just to know what it's like, i think

I always hated cocaine users. They always were the most horrible ppl I ever met in my life. If that's what it does to you - no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How does it affect you badly if somebody uses coke, why do you have such a puritanical opinion on others enjoying themselves. Whatever happened to that argument used in another debate 'My body, my choice'.

Having to listen to their ****e is enough to drive anyone demented tbf.

The worst is hearing the ****e talk at the urinals.

Christ take me away now .....!

I don't care what you do, I just thought using Maradona as an example doesn't make a lot of sense as he didn't even make it to pensionable age.

There is of course the argument that it finances murders. Perhaps it should be legalised.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I prefer meth.

joking

but I would like to try it once just to know what it's like, i think

I always hated cocaine users. They always were the most horrible ppl I ever met in my life. If that's what it does to you - no thanks.

I met some in rehab and they were fine apart from being a bit jittery...but I was meeting them when they were off it of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I met some in rehab and they were fine apart from being a bit jittery...but I was meeting them when they were off it of course.

oh

listermint wrote: »
    Having to listen to their ****e is enough to drive anyone demented tbf.

The worst is hearing the ****e talk at the urinals.

Christ take me away now .....!

Non coke-users are well capable of talking ####e too, personally I haven't noticed what you're saying. Prohibition hasn't prevented people taking it or talking ####e. Anyway you don't have to socialize with users, I doubt they'd miss your company if that's what you think of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,986 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

AllForIt wrote: »

I’ve little experience being around coke users, mainly it was a work social scene but it mirrored your experiences... a pretty good work friend and occasional drinking buddy was a complete wanknut on coke, others not far behind....once he wanted a ‘word outside’ as I was supposedly talking about him... how he gathered that from 15 meters the other side of the bar... and not even looking at him..good stuff...

I’ve been with him just having pints, a sweetheart of a human, but that shît... man.

Am I the only person in the country who was never offered any type of illegal drug?
    Don’t believe I’d try it even if offered. A few pints of Guinness does me.

Alcohol kills more people than cocaine, google it.

Alcohol kills more people than cocaine, google it.

Nobody is disputing this.

Nobody is disputing this.

I don't agree, I've heard and seen many pint-drinkers on their high horses lecturing people about their coke use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Strumms wrote: »
    I’ve little experience being around coke users, mainly it was a work social scene but it mirrored your experiences... a pretty good work friend and occasional drinking buddy was a complete wanknut on coke, others not far behind....once he wanted a ‘word outside’ as I was supposedly talking about him... how he gathered that from 15 meters the other side of the bar... and not even looking at him..good stuff...

I’ve been with him just having pints, a sweetheart of a human, but that shît... man.

Have had exactly the same experience several times. Nice people who turn into spectacular assholes when on coke. It was commonly used In the library in Lily’s in the 90’s but I hear its more common than alcohol in bars now, when they’re open of course.

Advertisement