Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocaine etc is everywhere?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

vriesmays wrote: »
    Jonathan Philbin Bowman is dead twenty years this year. Was a former cocaine user and died from falling through a glass door. He should have been hosting the LLS not Tubridy.

Interesting I didn't know Bowman was a coke head.

There must be nobody in RTE that isn't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So you do 'doubt' whether or not they're treated badly?

I, on the other hand, have no doubt that they're treated badly.

Not what I was doubting. I was doubting that people in sweatshops weren't.

This is selcective arguing when it comes to slave labour and torture in the production of goods.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Alfred123 wrote: »
    Ive been following this thread for a while and as an ex Cocaine user, I really do have to chime in.

You have already equated the taking of cocaine with : 'Sampling new food' and now the deaths involved in cocaine use with the manufacture of trainers and phones.

This is just laughable

As for trusting dealers - yep - all upright trustworthy folk. Honour among thieves - yeah right.

Most of the users I know either stopped using and got their lives back together or are in / out of prison / mental homes or dead. None of them planned to end up like that
    Your experience of coke is not the same as mine or the majority of other users. If u were concerned

Cocaine leaves a trail of destruction in its wake. Anyone who buys cocaine which - as a recent poster pointed out - is cut with elephant tranquilizer, Fentanyl, rat poison and other lovely things is part of the same scumbag chain that sees men shot dead on the streets of Dublin. You - the user - are part of that scumbag chain. I know. I was. You might as well be pulling the trigger

The cocaine you snort today may well have been parked in someone's rear end bfore you stuck it up your nose.

Cocaine use opens up a Pandora's box of misery - eg. You will need 'downers' to help you sleep - coz lets face it, its almighty hard to sleep after using. You'll suffer some brute comedowns that last a few days.

If youre snorting this crap .. then it won't be long bfore Ketamine teases your fancy and hey, why stop there. There are other wonderful substances to snort. Why not, while you are high, Inject the stuff. There is no better high ! I know.

Why not try Meth - you get a lot more bang for your Euro. You can be "up" for days at a time. Same as coke but a 12+ hr high.
    When I was high on Cocaine, all reason went out of the window.

Forget even about overdoses, prisons and death .. its the hell a habitual user puts him / herself and their families thru when eg the rent / food monies go up your nose because their habit got the better of them.

Cocaine is a sneaky drug. Claws of silk and once those claws are in you, you will beg steal and borrow the monies to get more. Its always more. A law of diminishing returns.

Cocaine will change the wiring in your brain and not for the better. You will only attend venues where Cocaine is available. Your only friends will all be cokeheads.

Im so glad I was able (touch wood) to leave that scene behind me

Ive heard it all before "it will never happen to me" etc and invariably it did. I was one of those. I was ok for 1 year or so before things turned to shyte

I don't mind a sensible discussion on Cocaine use but when i read the ill-informed BS above, i have to say something

As for legalizing the stuff - are you not happy enough with the talents, personality you already have. Will this altered state make you more acceptable to others / yourself ?

Your experience of coke is not the same as mine or the majority of its users. If ur concerned about men being shot in Dublin, u should want it to be leglaised, instead of lecturing its users for lack of morality. When and where has prohibition ever worked

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think people use this stuff for the following reasons. But i would be interested in being corrected if you know this to be untrue.

1. Boredom.

2. Risk taking personality.

3. Unhappiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,074 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Tomaldo wrote: »
    Your experience of coke is not the same as mine or the majority of its users. If ur concerned about men being shot in Dublin, u should want it to be leglaised, instead of lecturing its users for lack of morality. When and where has prohibition ever worked

There are and have been people shot over heroin too...

Is the answer to legalize heroin too ?

Or do we when someone is convicted of possession or sale and supply, hit them with a mother fûcker of a jail sentence... no visits, the only communication with the outside world and the people in it is via camera...

Use prison to punish crime, deter future instances of criminal activity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

I think people use this stuff for the following reasons. But i would be interested in being corrected if you know this to be untrue.

1. Boredom.

3. Unhappiness.

4. It's a bit of fun on a night out. You need to be bored, unhappy or prone to taking risks to use alcohol. Why would cocaine be any different?

1. Boredom.

3. Unhappiness.

That's more an opening for heroin.

Cocaine, for me, was more curiosity mixed with the desire to make a change to regular night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

This is all your personal experience (and nothing worng with that - at least you HAVE experience) but it's not 100% factual of every experience and not my experience.

I actually did Ket before I did cocaine. Very different drug. Much more sedating and borderline psychedelic. I fail to see the comparison here?

Yep, once to start sticking stuff up your nose, other snortable drugs are fair game too. Especially when high.

"Me take Heroin. No way !"
    Yep, heard that one too. Trouble is, when youre high on Coke and the elephant tranquilizer, all reason and good intentions go out of the window.
    But ha ha, yes, I know you are special

Having done the research, I can honestly say Crystal meth and heroin are two drugs I would have no interest in ever trying.

Yep, i said exactly same for myself. Being high on Cocaine changed all that reasoning.

Good thing I have self control and am not a hibitual user then.

Yep, i too was cocky with the self control stuff until Cocaine made the decisions for me

Again your experince - the fact that none of this has happened to me (or anyone I know) proves it to not be factual.

If you really did your "research" and not just "selective research", you would have learned that Cocaine changes the wiring in your brain. Its scientifically proven.

Also, you cannot predict how your future will turn out. You are playing with fire. Life throws us curveballs - its human nature to reach for the bottle or whatever drug you enjoyed when the storm hits.
    But yes, i realize you and your friends are different. Lucky you

And fair play to you. I've done it four times in three years, most recently on NYE last year and haven't felt the urge to do it since.

If this is true, why do you keep banging on about legalizing the stuff ?
    You do seem incredibly defensive about Cocaine for someone who claims to have done it just 4 times in 3 years. I see a lot of red flags in your posts

If you want sensible discussion, you have to first acknowlege that [B]your experiences are not necessarily everyone's experience.[/B]

Maybe, but you cannot deny scientific experiments prove that Cocaine alters the reward pathways in your brain.

Again I ask - are you not happy with yourself as you are ? Will this altered state make you more acceptable to yourself / others ?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

1. Boredom.

3. Unhappiness.
    Strumms wrote: »
    There are and have been people shot over heroin too...

Is the answer to legalize heroin too ?

Or do we when someone is convicted of possession or sale and supply, hit them with a mother fûcker of a jail sentence... no visits, the only communication with the outside world and the people in it is via camera...

Use prison to punish crime, deter future instances of criminal activity.

Prohibition hasn't prevented the existence of that drug, as I said earlier it's almost legal anyway. Harsh prison sentences, even death penalties doesn't deter people from buying/selling it. Before I die i would like to smoke it, not inject, I hate needles, that's why I have no tattoos. I want to see if Irvine Welsh (Trainspotting) is right about its pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I’ve taken the coke challenge, but prefer Pepsi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I’ve no objection in principle to coke, but I hate being around it. Should be marketed as ‘powdered arsehole - just add person’...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

Really interesting thread - A friend of mine is addicted to coke in rural West of Ireland. It has ruined him. Some scumbags even came to his parents house and broke all the windows over a debt. Coke is out of hand at this stage. Every two bit knacker is involved in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

It is a massive issue across the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

endacl wrote: »
    I’ve no objection in principle to coke, but I hate being around it. Should be marketed as ‘powdered arsehole - just add person’...

Yep, these occurrences are happening much more frequently.

It is an issue that I would like to see discussed more in the Dail.

It's really ramped up the last few years and people are now starting to become addicted. I am from a nice middle class area on the southside, some people I know with a varied degree of professional success in life are losing their minds to the stuff.

A local 27 year old, works as a sparks, buys coke on Tuesday and will do every night right the way through to Sunday. It's insanity

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

6541 wrote: »
    Really interesting thread - A friend of mine is addicted to coke in rural West of Ireland. It has ruined him. Some scumbags even came to his parents house and broke all the windows over a debt. Coke is out of hand at this stage. Every two bit knacker is involved in it.

I know plenty of people that ruined their lives with drugs, Coke/Heroin and Ecstasy were the main culprits, big debts racked up but they always admitted they were the fools that thought they could keep it under control. I would like to see Cannabis legalized/decriminalized for its medical benefits to which there seems to be plenty for some people.

Kimbot wrote: »
    I know plenty of people that ruined their lives with drugs, Coke/Heroin and Ecstasy were the main culprits, big debts racked up but they always admitted they were the fools that thought they could keep it under control.

Exactly this. Yet there are people posting on here comparing Cocaine use to 'sampling new food'. WTF

.. claiming that they are immune and bellowing on about legalizing the stuff.

I think Coke dealers are akin to paedophiles. They sew destruction wherever they pedal their wares. Lock the fcukers up and lose the key.

As for the Users - we need harsher penalties : imprisonment is a start with optional rehab while incarcerated.

I was in the Coke hole for a spell and have seen first hand decent ordinary folk become lying, thieving scum via Cocaine use

"But this is not my experience", they whine. No indeed, not yet. Just keep on dancing with Mme Cocaine and let's see how immune you are

This is all your personal experience (and nothing worng with that - at least you HAVE experience) but it's not 100% factual of every experience and not my experience.

I actually did Ket before I did cocaine. Very different drug. Much more sedating and borderline psychedelic. I fail to see the comparison here?

Yep, once to start sticking stuff up your nose, other snortable drugs are fair game too. Especially when high.

"Me take Heroin. No way !"
    Yep, heard that one too. Trouble is, when youre high on Coke and the elephant tranquilizer, all reason and good intentions go out of the window.
    But ha ha, yes, I know you are special

Having done the research, I can honestly say Crystal meth and heroin are two drugs I would have no interest in ever trying.

Yep, i said exactly same for myself. Being high on Cocaine changed all that reasoning.

Good thing I have self control and am not a hibitual user then.

Yep, i too was cocky with the self control stuff until Cocaine made the decisions for me

Again your experince - the fact that none of this has happened to me (or anyone I know) proves it to not be factual.

If you really did your "research" and not just "selective research", you would have learned that Cocaine changes the wiring in your brain. Its scientifically proven.

Also, you cannot predict how your future will turn out. You are playing with fire. Life throws us curveballs - its human nature to reach for the bottle or whatever drug you enjoyed when the storm hits.
    But yes, i realize you and your friends are different. Lucky you

And fair play to you. I've done it four times in three years, most recently on NYE last year and haven't felt the urge to do it since.

If this is true, why do you keep banging on about legalizing the stuff ?
    You do seem incredibly defensive about Cocaine for someone who claims to have done it just 4 times in 3 years. I see a lot of red flags in your posts

If you want sensible discussion, you have to first acknowlege that [B]your experiences are not necessarily everyone's experience.[/B]

Maybe, but you cannot deny scientific experiments prove that Cocaine alters the reward pathways in your brain.

Again I ask - are you not happy with yourself as you are ? Will this altered state make you more acceptable to yourself / others ?

What do you mean "rewire the brain"? Psychotherapy can rewire the brain. Can you link to the scientific research or studies that you're referring to here and clarify what exactly you mean here?

Are you are still saying that what happened to you, happens to everyone - because this has been demonstrated to be untrue - or are saying it will happen to be personally - in which case, what are you basing it on?

If I can't predict how my future will play out, how come you seem to be able to?

And I'm very happy with myself, thank you (or as can be given the situation) - why do you assume people take drugs solely because they are unhappy with themselves? The last think I do when I'm unhappy or depressed is take drugs - even alcohol.

Again - you can't have a sensible discussion on cocaine if you're going to make it this personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I think it's like anything really, there are some people who will be able to enjoy it on occasion with no major repercussions and there are others who will be more susceptible to becoming dependent on it. The same can be said for any drug; caffeine, alcohol, painkillers, coke, weed. I can have a coffee in the morning and not think about it again all day but I know people who drink 5 - 6 cups a day and get headaches if they try to cut back.

I've done plenty of drugs in my time and luckily enjoyed it for the most part. Coke was always my least favourite. It's a horrible drug. That said, if a line is put in front of me I'd still do it particularly if I've had a few drinks but I can easily go months then without it. I've countless friends who are hooked on it though and it has changed them completely. My most recent ex being a prime example. I'm still finding little bags hidden behind books in our apartment and cut up straws in the wardrobe. Yesterday he messaged me in bits from it. Horrible drug.

Alcohol is also a horrible drug if it gets its claws into you. I can easily walk away from coke, weed, caffeine or any other drug but our good pal alcohol refuses to let me go. I'm pregnant at the moment and even now I'm finding it very hard not to give in to good old alcohol. I'm not going to succumb but it sickens me that I still think about it all the time. There are many other people who can happily enjoy a few drinks and not wind up in crazy situations and I'm envious of them because for me, alcohol is the devil incarnate.

I guess my point is you can't demonize one drug above another drug unless its something like meth or heroin where its almost guaranteed to destroy you. Coke although highly addictive doesn't affect everyone in the same way and some people, myself included, can easily do the odd line for kicks.

Overall drugs are fun until they're not and as a general rule if you're young and are deciding whether or not to start dabbling, my advice would be not to. The risks are too high versus the reward. If you do decide to dabble then educate yourself first and take it slowly.

What do you mean "rewire the brain"? Psychotherapy can rewire the brain. Can you link to the scientific research or studies that you're referring to here and clarify what exactly you mean here?

- Youre the one who claims to be happy with your research. Just Google in "cocaine rewires the brain". You'll find more material there than a line of coke to keep you up all night.

Are you are still saying that what happened to you, happens to everyone - because this has been demonstrated to be untrue - or are saying it will happen to be personally - in which case, what are you basing it on?

- Try to read other people's posts. They bear out what youre saying. Absolutely. Eg.

"Originally Posted by 6541 View Post

I know plenty of people that ruined their lives with drugs, Coke/Heroin and Ecstasy were the main culprits, big debts racked up but they always admitted they were the fools that thought they could keep it under control. I would like to see Cannabis legalized/decriminalized for its medical benefits to which there seems to be plenty for some people."

'Demonstrated to be untrue" .. yeah, right.
    Are you high or what ?

If I can't predict how my future will play out, how come you seem to be able to?

Fecking around with your brain chemistry is a solid lead.

Youre the one who claims to be happy with your research. Just Google in "cocaine rewires the brain". You'll find more material there than a line of coke to keep you up all night.

Try to read other people's posts. They bear out what youre saying. Absolutely

"Originally Posted by 6541 View Post

I know plenty of people that ruined their lives with drugs, Coke/Heroin and Ecstasy were the main culprits, big debts racked up but they always admitted they were the fools that thought they could keep it under control. I would like to see Cannabis legalized/decriminalized for its medical benefits to which there seems to be plenty for some people."

'Demonstrated to be untrue" .. yeah, right.
    Are you high or what ?

Fecking around with your brain chemistry is a solid lead.

So you haven't read anything you can refer to. Asking me to research your claim is a logical fallacy known as Russell's Teapot.

You beleive that what happened to you happens to everyone. This is also a fallacy.

Plenty of people do coke on occasion and are fine. A lot of them have posted on this thread. If everyone who did coke wound up in hospitals or addiction clinics, they'd be massively overwhelmed. You only hear of the addicts so you assume everyone is an addict. And there in lies the problem: you assume everyone who takes it is automatically an addict.

And the last line is another logical fallacy known as the self-sulfilling prophecy (in fact, not even a propehcy, because you can't even prove that my brain chemistry has even changed, let alone link to any research you've done)

You - AGAIN - seem to want a "sensible" discussion about cocaine while making it personal, or repeatedly using false logic.

You're going to have to accept that it IS possible for people to do cocaine occasionally without becoming an addict, destroying you life or having your brain "rewired" (whatever the **** that means) if you want to engage.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Big Gerry wrote: »
    Interesting I didn't know Bowman was a coke head.

There must be nobody in RTE that isn't one.

I just couldn't imagine George Lee thumping the table shouting "yes yes yes oh phucking yes baby " after railing a few inches off it.

Just saying.

I can't see him jumping up on the table either for any George Michael impersonations. He doesn't really grab me as the type.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Each to their own but if you want to be part of the problem then go ahead. Drugs destroy lives and communities from Darndale to Foxrock and from Juarez to Bogota. I notice a lot of people telling how coke effects them without mentioning others. Maybe that's part of the selfish human condition but it's a pretty ugly part.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

john123470 wrote: »
    Indeed sbsquare,

Substitute any addictive substance for drink

My point is the risk taking esp since not everyone carries a drug test kit around with them and Fentanyl, rat poison .. are popular cuts.

Habitual Cocaine alters the reward pathway in your brain .. things that naturally gave you pleasure previously no longer do so.

Why would anyone want to mess with such a substance ?

The answer is quite simple "for the craic"

You do take a risk, you don't really know what's in it, or how you'll react. Plenty of people are willing to take that risk however, it's the human condition. People run with the bulls, people race motorbikes, jump out of planes. People will pay their hard earned money to go to a building somewhere and have someone try kick the head off them ffs.

A lot of the risk is caused by it's legal status. If you could set up a proper lab and make this shít like you were making paracetemol it would be much safer.

People are going to take it regardless - 100 years of history has surely taught us that. The genie is out of the bottle, it's not going back in any time soon!
    Tomaldo wrote: »

Ooh, i know this one!

Is it never and nowhere?
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Each to their own but if you want to be part of the problem then go ahead. Drugs destroy lives and communities from Darndale to Foxrock and from Juarez to Bogota. I notice a lot of people telling how coke effects them without mentioning others. Maybe that's part of the selfish human condition but it's a pretty ugly part.

You just need to look at the USA's recent legalisation of cannabis. They were locking people away for life not so long ago for selling this shít, preaching about how it destroys lives and communities ,destabilises countries bla bla bla.

Now you can buy it in a shop and yet somehow the world still turns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Exactly this. Yet there are people posting on here comparing Cocaine use to 'sampling new food'. WTF

.. claiming that they are immune and bellowing on about legalizing the stuff.

I think Coke dealers are akin to paedophiles. They sew destruction wherever they pedal their wares. Lock the fcukers up and lose the key.

As for the Users - we need harsher penalties : imprisonment is a start with optional rehab while incarcerated.

I was in the Coke hole for a spell and have seen first hand decent ordinary folk become lying, thieving scum via Cocaine use

"But this is not my experience", they whine. No indeed, not yet. Just keep on dancing with Mme Cocaine and let's see how immune you are

honestly i think you need to relax a bit, there is personal responsibility you know.
    You say you were in a coke hell, did someone hold your nose down over a line every weekend ? No.

So you haven't read anything you can refer to. Asking me to research your claim is a logical fallacy known as Russell's Teapot.

You beleive that what happened to you happens to everyone. This is also a fallacy.

Plenty of people do coke on occasion and are fine. A lot of them have posted on this thread. If everyone who did coke wound up in hospitals or addiction clinics, they'd be massively overwhelmed. You only hear of the addicts so you assume everyone is an addict. And there in lies the problem: you assume everyone who takes it is automatically an addict.

And the last line is another logical fallacy known as the self-sulfilling prophecy (in fact, not even a propehcy, because you can't even prove that my brain chemistry has even changed, let alone link to any research you've done)

You - AGAIN - seem to want a "sensible" discussion about cocaine while making it personal, or repeatedly using false logic.

You're going to have to accept that it IS possible for people to do cocaine occasionally without becoming an addict, destroying you life or having your brain "rewired" (whatever the **** that means) if you want to engage.

There now, there now .. Sshhhh ! .. Youre so right.

Why, when you Google in 'cocaine rewires/ alters the reward pathway / circuits in the brain' and you'll find absolutely nothing. Nada.

And remember, nothing bad can ever happen to a Princess

Sshhhh ! There now .. it'll all be OK in the end

I don't mind a sensible discussion on Cocaine use....

... but ...
    There now, there now .. Sshhhh ! .. Youre so right.

Why, when you Google in 'cocaine rewires/ alters the reward pathway / circuits in the brain' and you'll find absolutely nothing. Nada.

And remember, nothing bad can ever happen to a Princess

Sshhhh ! There now .. it'll all be OK in the end

So, immaturity and personal insults is how conduct yourself in a "sensible debate" when presented with an personal experience that contradicts you own opinion?

Guess we're done here, too then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

... but ...

So, immaturity and personal insults is how conduct yourself in a "sensible debate" when presented with an personal experience that contradicts you own opinion?

Guess we're done here, too then.

I don't normally weigh in to these debates. But having read some of your comments, that you have admitted to using Cocaine to enhance a night out doesn't seem sensible or mature to me.

ElJeffe wrote: »

Thanks for the drop of reality, El Jeffe.

I find the "coked-up" posters about as exciting as they are in real life

mad m wrote: »
    I don't normally weigh in to these debates. But having read some of your comments, that you have admitted to using Cocaine to enhance a night out doesn't seem sensible or mature to me.

Oh, I've done plenty of immature and stupid things on nights out. I've done them sober. I've done them on aclcohol. I've done them when not on a night out. Tell me this: who hasn't?

Unless you're saying that if someone does something immature on drugs on a night out, then they should be judged and considered immature full stop, what's you point?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

mad m wrote: »

I have read every line of this thread and in fairness nipping in to cast aspersions on posters who are being forthright and honest is neither sensible or mature either?

Advertisement