Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocaine etc is everywhere?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

kenmm wrote: »
    To be fair - thats been a few years since I went there (smoking without anything else) and thats my rose tinted view of my 20s. But really it was much darker, constant anxiety and fear - not as bad as you describe but a constant creeping foreboding. After a few beers I would be physically sick like I had radiation poisoning ffs - spewing all over the place - that in alone should have been enough to stop me, but I continued on for a while..

I have no idea how I would go now - probably a bit of a giddy high for 20 mins then the anxiety would be back.

Not enough people talk about that tho and seem to think hash/cannabis is some sort of innocent harmless substance.

This , this and this. Which is why I would have reservations about universal legalisation. It is not harmless at all. A bit of hash maybe, but the skunky skunky is toooo strong.

In saying that if you take it as a parallel example with alcohol. Drinkers learn to respect it. We all remember spewing our rings up at aged 15 after drinking a pint of Southern Comfort in an hour.

It would be the same with stronger brands or types of weed. When I go to the pub I can drink 8 pints and walk home, all good. But if I drink a bottle of Powers as well I am going to start a scrap with the bus driver, we all know this and yet it is perfectly legal to drink it. You can apply the same social tolerance of alcohol to the cannabis argument and the legalisation argument is more straight forward.

I am not anti-legalisation but I would prefer to see a gradual roll out over a few generations. Where we have it now is not so bad. It is technically illegal but you are not going to prison and likely not getting a record for a bit of personal either. A grey area I admit, but sometimes you need grey areas to allow a more fairer application of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭worded

Is there a difference in current THC grass strengths and soap bar strength? Is modern soap bar / resin "safer" than grass or just as potent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

worded wrote: »
    Is there a difference in current THC grass strengths and soap bar strength? Is modern soap bar / resin "safer" than grass or just as potent?

Not really in the loop these days but as far as I'm aware there is none/very little soap bar or other hash being sold. Maybe some polm.

Think strong grass is most of the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

IAMAMORON wrote: »

I am not anti-legalisation but I would prefer to see a gradual roll out over a few generations. Where we have it now is not so bad. It is technically illegal but you are not going to prison and likely not getting a record for a bit of personal either. A grey area I admit, but sometimes you need grey areas to allow a more fairer application of the law.

The legal situation seem okish for now* - (although I wonder what the other poster that was on (that works with homeless and addiction services) would say tho?). Same for a lot of drugs - but more education and more harm reduction would be welcome - get rid of the crappy situations that really do kill people on first use (I would guess most deaths attributed to 'ecstasy' is not MDMA, for example).

*One thing tho RE cannabis specifically - the stronger weed that's out there now - that is a bit of a ticking timebomb for future generations mental health problems - for that reason alone I would like to see legislation kick in a bit - if it was regulated and strength reduced it would help.

Not really in the loop these days but as far as I'm aware there is none/very little soap bar or other hash being sold. Maybe some polm.

Think strong grass is most of the market.

You can seek out hash (proper hash) - but its more of a connoisseur thing.

The "soap bar" of my (our?) youth is (as far as I know) all but gone - and thank fu(k as I am sure I have smoked more goodyears and plastic bags than I care to imagine. Awful third/fourth rate crap with all sorts of fillers especially for the UK/Irish market.

Weed that is grown with really high potency seems to be the main smoke of choice these days, but I haven't been down that path for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

ye kno bayer aka monsanto are funding the hippy legalisation so they can copyright the plants dna and ...

reading is free

1990sman wrote: »
    ye kno bayer aka monsanto are funding the hippy legalisation so they can copyright the plants dna and ...

reading is free

There is a conspiracy forum available.

Monsanto are more focused on winning the Glysophate argument.

Drug users read things too, believe.

Either way the fact that there is a large multinational trying to take over the world is not going to stop me having a laugh when I like. Even if I start organising suburban fox hunts on mopeds and mountain bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

not a conspiracy dude, its on their homepage.

so ur gettin stoned and killin foxes knacker style?

DRUGS ARE FOR IDIOTS

1990sman wrote: »
    not a conspiracy dude, its on their homepage.

so ur gettin stoned and killin foxes knacker style?

DRUGS ARE FOR IDIOTS

Whats your point, sorry - I am not getting it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

This , this and this. Which is why I would have reservations about universal legalisation. It is not harmless at all. A bit of hash maybe, but the skunky skunky is toooo strong.

In saying that if you take it as a parallel example with alcohol. Drinkers learn to respect it. We all remember spewing our rings up at aged 15 after drinking a pint of Southern Comfort in an hour.

It would be the same with stronger brands or types of weed. When I go to the pub I can drink 8 pints and walk home, all good. But if I drink a bottle of Powers as well I am going to start a scrap with the bus driver, we all know this and yet it is perfectly legal to drink it. You can apply the same social tolerance of alcohol to the cannabis argument and the legalisation argument is more straight forward.

Pysch wards are jammers with people who smoke weed like chimneys. You can argue abouit correlation or causation but the strong link is undeniable.

That said, I believe a lot of the problems are exacerbated by criminalisation and the dodgy product optimised for raw strength that results from it.

During prohibition people drank rotgut; now they drink light beers. I expect a legalised and regulated weed industry to function similarly, with the product optimised to minimise harm.

IME smoking very small doses of weed pure, in a bong or vaporiser, helps avoid the paranoia issues that can result from tobacco mixed joints of varying strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Strumms wrote: »
    The other 45% of offenses related to Marijuana, LSD, MDMA (ecstasy), Khat and so on.

Alcohol while does have an impact on our health services doesn’t have clearly published numbers that I’m finding.
    I wonder why not....
    Alcohol is a much more controlled drug for most of us that neither leads to crime, ill health and thefore a cost to the state, there are exceptions of course.

People are shot, assaulted, banks / shops raided over drugs.. that’s not going to happen over six Heineken and a bottle of JD

Alcohol is not controlled. You can buy as much as your wallet permits and no one will stop you. And I guarantee you it places a lot more strain on the State than the 45% of drugs you mentioend aboce.

If Heiniken and JD were prohibited, you most certainly would get people shot over them.

People don't kill each other over dangerous drugs, they kill leach other over illegal drugs.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

kenmm wrote: »
    Whats your point, sorry - I am not getting it?

Trolls don;t have points. Don;t feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The other 45% of offenses related to Marijuana, LSD, MDMA (ecstasy), Khat and so on.

Alcohol while does have an impact on our health services doesn’t have clearly published numbers that I’m finding.

Alcohol is a much more controlled drug for most of us that neither leads to crime, ill health and thefore a cost to the state, there are exceptions of course.

People are shot, assaulted, banks / shops raided over drugs.. that’s not going to happen over six Heineken and a bottle of JD

Here's a link, scroll down to "The health impact of alcohol consumption in Ireland:" and read, here's the first 3 points:

- 88 deaths every month in Ireland are directly attributable to alcohol.
    - One in four deaths of young men aged 15-39 in Ireland is due to alcohol.
    - There are almost twice as many deaths due to alcohol in Ireland as due to all other drugs combined.

So the legal drug is far more dangerous than all the other illegal drugs combined. It gives figures of how it's affecting our health service too (it's a big drain), if you're interested.

Re: people bring shot/assaulted, etc over illegal drugs, if they were legal like alcohol then it would more or less eliminate these issues (save for the scum who will rob/steal to feed their habit, that'll always be there).

It's true that the weed today is usually a lot stronger, but again, regulation and legalisation would remove this by having the weed strains clearly displayed with the THC and CBD contents. As it is, it's like going to buy Vodka and there are 20 bottles, but they're all without labels, so a pot luck on what you actually get (could be poitin for all you know).

I get that some people shouldn't/can't consume cannabis safely, but the figures are skewed to suit an agenda. We have absolutely no idea how much cannabis is being consumed in Ireland, or how many people are actually consuming it, so it's impossible to say what percentage are badly affected, and we only hear about the bad cases, completely ignoring the potential million(s) who smoke daily without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think Keith Richards took anything he was offered, I don't think the average person should base their lifestyle on what rockstars from the 80s did.
    How many people from the music industry would still be here today if not for using drugs to excess.i think even Keith Richards had given up smoking and using drugs for health reasons.it's a cliche rock star gets famous, has a drug problem goes to rehab when it gets out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Alcohol is among the most dangerous of drugs. It does have some modest benefits as a social lubricant, but it is an overwhelming net negative for society. To state that 'alcohol is a controlled drug' in a country where it can be purchased in PETROL STATIONS, ffs, is - and there is no polite way to say this, demonstrably factually false if not simply delusional.

If it were invented tomorrow, it would, without question, be declared illegal in almost every country on the face of the planet.

I have mixed views about legalising drugs other than alcohol, but the only reason - the sole reason - why 'people are shot, assaulted' etc over drugs other than alcohol and not alcohol is because the former is legal. Alcohol is poison. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,072 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Alcohol is very dangerous if abused, you are right...

There is a big hole in the state finances, policing the after effects of alcohol misuse, treating alcohol abuse, both in terms of addiction and physical problems, liver transplants, WKS and so on...

But this ‘just because’ and whataboutery argument.. cocaine is still bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Alcohol is very dangerous if abused, you are right...

There is a big hole in the state finances, policing the after effects of alcohol misuse, treating alcohol abuse, both in terms of addiction and physical problems, liver transplants, WKS and so on...

But this ‘just because’ and whataboutery argument.. cocaine is still bad.

So whys a casual Cocaine, MDMA, Cannabis consumption etc treated differently to someone who likes a drink every and then?

The only reason thingamajiggys were banned was because they were great craic and no one was arsed going to work of a Monday morning.

It wasn't because people were clogging up the queues at A&E either, which alcohol cannot assimilate with.

MDMA was developed as a microdose Geriatric Therapy.

So whys a casual Cocaine, MDMA, Cannabis consumption etc treated differently to someone who likes a drink every and then?

History, mostly. We've been drinking alcohol since the vikings at least and it would be impossible to ban it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

History, mostly. We've been drinking alcohol since the vikings at least and it would be impossible to ban it now.

Not sure about that, the German government has brought in tighter restrictions regarding the sale of alcohol during covid, it probably hasn't made much difference, if any at all

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Not sure about that, the German government has brought in tighter restrictions regarding the sale of alcohol during covid, it probably hasn't made much difference, if any at all

No they haven't. For one thing, Germany is federal and individual states have been responsible for their own approaches. There have been no restrictions in Berlin and I haven;t heard of any elsewhere.

In any case, it's a moot point because even if they had it would have had nothing to do with anti-drug sentiment.

No they haven't. For one thing, Germany is federal and individual states have been responsible for their own approaches. There have been no restrictions in Berlin and I haven;t heard of any elsewhere.

In any case, it's a moot point because even if they had it would have had nothing to do with anti-drug sentiment.

some premises in berlin that sell alcohol, have been directed to close at 8pm, only brought in since covid, alcohol is a drug, probably the most used drug on the planet

some premises in berlin that sell alcohol, have been directed to close at 8pm, only brought in since covid, alcohol is a drug, probably the most used drug on the planet

Soudns a bit odd that some would be directed but not all - can you provide more information? Uness they did something careless illegal to earn a specific restriction.

I live in Berlin and, other than the blanket closures of bars and restaraunts there has been no prohibitions. Spatis/convenience stores, supermarkers and takeaways have all been allowed to carry on selling it as normal throughout.

Soudns a bit odd that some would be directed but not all - can you provide more information? Uness they did something careless illegal to earn a specific restriction.

I live in Berlin and, other than the blanket closures of bars and restaraunts there has been no prohibitions. Spatis/convenience stores, supermarkers and takeaways have all been allowed to carry on selling it as normal throughout.

apologies, but ive no more info, was only informed yesterday, im aware some premises have been allowed to carry on as normal, i ll try find out again though

apologies, but ive no more info, was only informed yesterday, im aware some premises have been allowed to carry on as normal, i ll try find out again though

My guess is that you'r right, but they did something to earn the ban like ignoring social distancing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Their was a ban on serving drinks on some streets at particular times of the day as in Hamburg and some other cities and more patrols by police to make sure pubs were keeping to the rules

My guess is that you'r right, but they did something to earn the ban like ignoring social distancing.

how long you in berlin, lovely city?
    Their was a ban on serving drinks on some streets at particular times of the day as in Hamburg and some other cities and more patrols by police to make sure pubs were keeping to the rules

apologies, it may have been hamburg i was informed about

i am indeed wrong, restrictions on selling alcohol were introduced in Munich, none after 8pm

how long you in berlin, lovely city?
    apologies, it may have been hamburg i was informed about
    i am indeed wrong, restrictions on selling alcohol were introduced in Munich, none after 8pm

Dire waffle and if you don't mind me adding a really bland and ineffectual attempt to gain attention over nothing. This is thread about cocaine use, if you want to discuss the prerogative of the Stadtveratlung in Munich, Berlin or Hamburg I suggest you get on with it.

Otherwise this thread is about banger abuse.

• Advertisement

Dire waffle and if you don't mind me adding a really bland and ineffectual attempt to gain attention over nothing. This is thread about cocaine use, if you want to discuss the prerogative of the Stadtveratlung in Munich, Berlin or Hamburg I suggest you get on with it.

Otherwise this thread is about banger abuse.

thanks for your input, im intellectually stimulated by your offerings

Advertisement