Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭Allinall

gmisk wrote: »
    Restaurants to shut at 3pm on Christmas eve....I have a booking at 2...

Gulp and Gaviscon.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ok, an atricle from one of the worst English papers and it's from January when all this was breaking.

I'm not accepting this as proof that the Irish media is scaremongering the Irish population.

Anybody who depends on The Sun for news is an idiot in my opinion.

so you don't know why anyone depends on the media for opinions?
    They don't really, opinions are found on social media, but I depend on the news for facts and quite frankly the facts are, we either Uninformed or misinformed. next time you ask for proof of fear mongering at least do the poster the courtesy of advising a statute of limitation on the reporting and the journal of choice's integrity.
    There's no pleasing you, you're question was answered profoundly and you argue on chronology and tabloid choice Vs your highbrow issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

josip wrote: »
    No inter county travel after Stephen's day.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1222/1185905-rte-live-news-blog/

Well that brings forwards my plans for the 28th so.

The Independent Scientific Advocacy Group has told the Government that if no action is taken to curb transmission rates of Covid-19, "we can expect 900 to 1,300 daily cases by 28 December, and 2,100 to 4,500 by 6 January based on possible scenarios of between 8-12% growth in case numbers".

ISAG is a group of scientists, academics, and researchers who have come together to advocate for a "zero Covid" elimination strategy for the island of Ireland. It is independent of Government and all members are volunteers.

"Today, we are calling on the Irish Government to take decisive action and to commit to a full national lockdown from 26 December 2020," it said in a statement.

Some call this "advice".

Smart people can see this is directing government through media pressure and the likes.

To think that protesters were the ones called "loons". Loons are governing our country

• Registered Users Posts: 32,242 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Allinall wrote: »
    Gulp and Gaviscon.
    Or you know arrive a bit early :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,713 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

To think that protesters were the ones called "loons".

Anti mask, anti vax, anti 5g protesters?

Perfectly sane bunch, them!

:pac:

• Advertisement

The Independent Scientific Advocacy Group has told the Government that if no action is taken to curb transmission rates of Covid-19, "we can expect 900 to 1,300 daily cases by 28 December, and 2,100 to 4,500 by 6 January based on possible scenarios of between 8-12% growth in case numbers".

ISAG is a group of scientists, academics, and researchers who have come together to advocate for a "zero Covid" elimination strategy for the island of Ireland. It is independent of Government and all members are volunteers.

"Today, we are calling on the Irish Government to take decisive action and to commit to a full national lockdown from 26 December 2020," it said in a statement.

Some call this "advice".

Smart people can see this is directing government through media pressure and the likes.

To think that protesters were the ones called "loons". Loons are governing our country

I haven't seen any evidence that the government have paid any attention to the group mentioned above.

have they referenced them in any press briefing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Why are hairdressers closing on the 24th?

It’s a police state now

January 12th lol! As if...

It’s a police state now

Have the police decided to close the hairdressers?

• Advertisement

It’s a police state now

I remember reading about when the Gestapo closed down Peter Marks in the 30s.

Grim times. :(

Allinall wrote: »
    Have the police decided to close the hairdressers?

If they don’t close, will the police force them to? The answer is yes

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

rusty cole wrote: »
    so you don't know why anyone depends on the media for opinions?
    They don't really, opinions are found on social media, but I depend on the news for facts and quite frankly the facts are, we either Uninformed or misinformed. next time you ask for proof of fear mongering at least do the poster the courtesy of advising a statute of limitation on the reporting and the journal of choice's integrity.
    There's no pleasing you, you're question was answered profoundly and you argue on chronology and tabloid choice Vs your highbrow issues.

The question was not answered profoundly at all.

3 articles from January, when the virus was not even in Ireland, from foreign newspapers are not evidence of Irish media promoting fear on a daily basis as the poster claimed.
    No recent articles showing this could be proviced.

Also, years ago, the media was our one of our few sources of information and that is no longer the case.
    The internet has changed eveyrthing.

You can go yourself and look up stats, medical reports, research, facts, science papers etc and make an opinion,

There's no need to depend on the opinion (which is all it is) of a journalist or a senationalist article of a newspaper with poor reputation. I mean seriously living in fear because of "The Sun"?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Assume the gyms will be closed yet again... FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭facehugger99

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Are you one of that lot that marches around the place on Saturdays shouting “RTE is Fake News” and other such Trumplike slogans?

No, but it is instructive that any questioning of the NPHET agenda of constant lockdowns without any consideration of the non-Covid effects of this approach, is enough to see one labeled as a loon or indeed drummed out of office.

It seems to be like a religion for some with Dr Tony as the high priest and any deviation from his teaching is considered a heresy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No, but it is instructive that any questioning of the NPHET agenda of constant lockdowns without any consideration of the non-Covid effects of this approach, is enough to see one labeled as a loon or indeed drummed out of office.

It seems to be like a religion for some with Dr Tony as the high priest and any deviation from his teaching is considered a heresy.

He's the Chief Medical Officer. A man of science . Highly qualified and hold a position of authority

I'd value his opinion more on medical issues more than internet posters, anti-maskers etc.

Questioning is fine but he's lookng at this from a medical point of view and economic, social interactions and pubs are different issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

Poorside wrote: »
    All that effort, you must be very bored.

In fairness, many people have been bored for a very long time. It made me smile!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If they break the law, will the police act? The answer is yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Don't forget to throw the constant Trump comparisons in there, the post you quoted even did. Dare to question anything NPHET says/does = Trump supporter, makes sense.

Nope. Again you don't seem to be able grasp what NPHET's job actually is, all though it's hardly a secret.

The 2 primary remits given to them by the government are.

1. Keep Non Covid Health care functioning.

2. Keep Schools open.

Obviously governance has determined the myriad of positives that flow from these 2 goals far out weigh the negatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Straw manning, anyone that even questions the NEPHET model is a "Bill Gates wants to inject us all with chips, 5G is causing covid, the moon landings are a hoax, the earth is flat...."

Jesus christ, I never even imagined when all this started off in January that it would be so f*cking divisive...

edit forgot - TRUMP supporters!!!!

Christ, I can't wait till Biden is inaugurated and all this is solved within weeks ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Exactly.

People need to educate themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Genuine question.

Let's say by summer , or by whenever they have most old/vulnerable vaccinated - what then ?
    In theory hospitals won't be slammed so they should life restrictions ... but do people honestly think they will ?

Will they stop asking children to wear masks in school ? - or will they shift the goalposts, saying restrictions aren't there to protect hospitals being overrun but just to stop all spread of the virus.

We know zero covid is impossible - look at Australia and NZ, so what does this mean ?

I really want to be wrong here, I really do ...

They already have the story of the new strain up their sleeve, and several others ready to be brought up at the right moment.

They started something diabolical, if they stop it it will be like admitting that it was all out of proportion.
    The vaccine is effective, but not so effective so hold your horses until we say so, and until we shift the goalpost.
    Restrictions are here to stay but we will be at a stage than even a small allowance will be greeted like a victory. We will get a 2 hour slot in a pub and that will be the highlight of the night, travelling only if essential, mandatory vaccination, but covid-19 is the new antichrist and must be defeated at the expenses of our existence.
    Who will be able to draw the line when we hit the next flu-season? who will be capable of separating the people dying from influenza or cardiovascular/respiratory disease from the people dying with covid? They implanted the fear of dying in the population anything resembling this virus will be treated like the plague.

Me too I really want to be wrong here, I really do ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Straw manning, anyone that even questions the NEPHET model is a "Bill Gates wants to inject us all with chips, 5G is causing covid, the moon landings are a hoax, the earth is flat...."

Jesus christ, I never even imagined when all this started off in January that it would be so f*cking divisive...

There are a certain cohort of people who are anti restrictions and are genuine loons, and there are a certain cohort of people on the other side of the argument only too happy to lump everyone who isn't 100% behind the current approach in with them. The fact there are basically two threads on this site to discuss the same thing says a lot, there isn't much room for nuance or middle ground. I've found the absolute fúcking hysteria of the last two days a bit much but I'm not against reintroduction of restrictions either (there is a debate to be had about how much and for how long). We knew cases would go back up, here we are, it's not the end of the fúcking world.

Christ, I can't wait till Biden is inaugurated and all this is solved within weeks ...

Solve what?

The Donald says everything is perfect?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭facehugger99

He's the Chief Medical Officer. A man of science . Highly qualified and hold a position of authority

I'd value his opinion more on medical issues more than internet posters, anti-maskers etc.

Questioning is fine but he's lookng at this from a medical point of view and economic, social interactions and pubs are different issues.

Plenty of women wouldn't - although you apparently get carded for any specific reference to this despite it's relevance to the discussion on his fitness.

I have no respect for him whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,242 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

NPHET

There is a huge difference between questioning modelling and the views of a large section of protestors - anti mask, anti Vax, 5g etc.
    I don't think most people would lump them together

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It’s a police state now

...because they're on holidays?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Assume the gyms will be closed yet again... FFS

Why assume the worst? FFS.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He's a GP, same as Dr Feeney and Dr De Brun, both of whom were forced out of their positions because they dared disagree with St Tony of Scandal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement