Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Penfailed

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I live in Cork and know two people who got it, one is a teacher in a school for children with special needs where social distancing is neither practical nor possible.
    She passed it onto her mother who she lives with (a woman in her late 60’s who was asymptomatic and completely fine) but not to her partner, who she shares a bed with.

The other was my mother’s uncle, a very elderly and unwell man who caught it not once but twice while in a nursing home. He fought it off the first time but couldn’t fight it off the second time around.
    The fact that he even caught it twice is absolutely scandalous in its own right imo, I don’t see how it can be considered as anything other than downright negligence. He should have been better protected, but he was also suffering from heart & blood pressure issues as well.

I know a LOT of people who’ve been tested for one reason or another but those are the only positive cases that I know of, yet the media would have us believe people are dropping like flies and bodies are piling up on the pavements on an hourly basis.

What media is saying this?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Boggles wrote: »
    I imagine the young children will easily understand that restrictions prevented large scale deaths.

A fact that seems utterly lost on a quite vocal few.

Spain has one of the worst counts of deaths in all this and had the strictest lockdowns, not sure lockdowns prevent deaths - at least the lockdowns europe are doing, the virus gets the the vulnerable whatever happens it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

6 wrote: »
    Or maybe he's just good at his job.

Every recent warning he's given the government has been accurate. They then scramble. They'll do the same again this time and prolong a level 5.

His rolling out of the red carpet to let Covid into it’s most destructive environment at the beginning of this, would suggest that Tony is not good at his job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Gael23 wrote: »
    Have they said how ong restaraunts are closed for?

Trying to work that out myself, can't see a date mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

irish_goat wrote: »
    Trying to work that out myself, can't see a date mentioned.
    We should hear after the Cabinet meeting today. Anything to date is just leaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Penfailed

He's the one advising no unnecessary trips, working from home etc. I get invited lots of places, I don't go to them all. If you can't follow your own advice, why would you expect others to follow it??

He's obviously exempt due to his roll. It's illegal to drive with a mobile phone to your ear. It doesn't stop the Gardai.
    I forgot that this is the bash Tony thread...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Maybe I misheard him but Paddy Mullen was warning about speculating that we have the UK version here on Pat Kenny, why? This is brilliant.... because people where they have the UK strain are calling for an end to the restrictions because they don't work against it, he referenced Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Paddy1234

is_that_so wrote: »
    We should hear after the Cabinet meeting today. Anything to date is just leaks.

Any idea what time we should hear? This is really being drawn out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭josip

Tork wrote: »
    .... Or you accept that this is a short term pain for a longer-term gain ...

It's actually the opposite.

We're saddling the younger generation with a lifetime of increased national debt to reduce the risk to the older generation over the short term.
    This is the same older generation who benefited massively at the expense of the same younger generation when the property wealth transfer exercise took place a decade ago.
    And to ice the debt cake, we've made a lot of those young people unemployed over the past 9 months.
    But hey, they should be grateful. We won't let the banks or landlords evict them while we've kicked them out of work.
    How nice we are.

(I'm not young myself.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Paddy1234 wrote: »

Either after the 6oclock news or 9oclock news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    The Cabinet meeting is this morning so sometime this afternoon I guess.

We are making this a crisis ourselves, when it really doesn’t need to be.

We are testing over 10k a day and only a very small percentage test positive each day, resulting in a few hundred “cases”.

Of these cases, a huge number are either not sick at all or extremely mildly ill such as a slight cough, fever etc.

With all those hundreds of positives a day, our hospital numbers are still absolutely tiny. ICU was 29 last time I checked.

Our hospital numbers also include people in hospital for other reasons who happened to test positive for Covid while in hospital.

Our deaths are admittedly overstated and include lots of “With” Covid deaths. Where basically Covid was just suspected as a contributing factor. But the main factor was possibly that the person was 90 and terminally ill.

If this wasn’t in the news every minute of every day, would you even realise that anything was different?

We go back to normal when WE decide. Probably when the public are completely sick and tired of it all and not listening anymore or when the finances get too bad to keep it up any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

His rolling out of the red carpet to let Covid into it’s most destructive environment at the beginning of this, would suggest that Tony is not good at his job.

Most Nursing homes are private a business, so ask the owners what did they do with all the profits they made?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,946 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Spain has one of the worst counts of deaths in all this and had the strictest lockdowns, not sure lockdowns prevent deaths - at least the lockdowns europe are doing, the virus gets the the vulnerable whatever happens it seems.

The timing of the restrictions is as important as the restrictions themselves.

You don't wait until the hospitals are filling up or your emergency health care staff are threatening strike before you bring in restrictions.

Both of which have happened in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

With all those hundreds of positives a day, our hospital numbers are still absolutely tiny. ICU was 29 last time I checked.

We've too much capacity, were sending medical staff from Tipperary to the north, our health system has never had an easier winter.
    medics from Republic drafted in with NHS 'close to collapse'
    https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/news/northern-ireland-shoppers-turn-out-in-droves-as-covid-death-toll-rises-and-medics-from-republic-drafted-in-with-nhs-close-to-collapse-39881365.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

josip wrote: »
    It's actually the opposite.

We're saddling the younger generation with a lifetime of increased national debt to reduce the risk to the older generation over the short term.
    This is the same older generation who benefited massively at the expense of the same younger generation when the property wealth transfer exercise took place a decade ago.
    And to ice the debt cake, we've made a lot of those young people unemployed over the past 9 months.
    But hey, they should be grateful. We won't let the banks or landlords evict them while we've kicked them out of work.
    How nice we are.

(I'm not young myself.)

The debt that we are saddling with is at a negative or very tiny interest rate that will end up spread over 200 years or so.

Same way our generation paid the debt from the 80's 90's and 00. All at a higher interest rate.

In hindsight a good government would of borrowed even more at these rates and build a modern Ireland, great infrastructure. We had a chance to press the reset button and we didn't when the last crash happened and we missed it again now!!

Boggles wrote: »
    The timing of the restrictions is as important as the restrictions themselves.

You don't wait until the hospitals are filling up or your emergency health care staff are threatening strike before you bring in restrictions.

Both of which have happened in Spain.

Healthcare staff threatening to strike in a “crisis”... they should be thankful they have jobs while huge numbers are forced out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,361 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

We've too much capacity, were sending medical staff from Tipperary to the north, our health system has never had an easier winter.
    https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/news/northern-ireland-shoppers-turn-out-in-droves-as-covid-death-toll-rises-and-medics-from-republic-drafted-in-with-nhs-close-to-collapse-39881365.html

I wonder why our capacity is in good shape... Mysterious isn't it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

Heard this morning that apparently there's only three people with covid in UH Limerick, but 75 persons waiting for a bed. If that's true, it's utterly bonkers what's going on ..... Our priorities are screwed

They probably have an entire ward closed off for covid which means less beds available across the hospital for other patients. I would imagine that is standard practice.

I wonder why our capacity is in good shape... Mysterious isn't it :)

Young population?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I live in Cork and know two people who got it, one is a teacher in a school for children with special needs where social distancing is neither practical nor possible.
    She passed it onto her mother who she lives with (a woman in her late 60’s who was asymptomatic and completely fine) but not to her partner, who she shares a bed with.

The other was my mother’s uncle, a very elderly and unwell man who caught it not once but twice while in a nursing home. He fought it off the first time but couldn’t fight it off the second time around.
    The fact that he even caught it twice is absolutely scandalous in its own right imo, I don’t see how it can be considered as anything other than downright negligence. He should have been better protected, but he was also suffering from heart & blood pressure issues as well.

I know a LOT of people who’ve been tested for one reason or another but those are the only positive cases that I know of, yet the media would have us believe people are dropping like flies and bodies are piling up on the pavements on an hourly basis.

I haven't seen this on any media

The debt that we are saddling with is at a negative or very tiny interest rate that will end up spread over 200 years or so.

Same way our generation paid the debt from the 80's 90's and 00. All at a higher interest rate.

In hindsight a good government would of borrowed even more at these rates and build a modern Ireland, great infrastructure. We had a chance to press the reset button and we didn't when the last crash happened and we missed it again now!!

Next time we have an election, I’m going to ask the government why don’t they just borrow 500 billion over 300 years and build more houses, hospitals, underground transport and cut taxes in half.

Sure it’s free money...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,946 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Healthcare staff threatening to strike in a “crisis”... they should be thankful they have jobs while huge numbers are forced out of work.

That certainly would be a remedial way of looking at it.

In reality that is price you pay for not controlling the pandemic or ignoring it as it would appear the method of choice on here.

Every service has a breaking point.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

I work in a hospital, not heard of any threatening to strike and I wouldn't.

This year has been stressful, not helped the fact that the media has everyone(staff and patients) paranoid within an inch of their life.

In 2010 I lost my job and career in the recession and had to retrain. No extra payment to help me deal with the situation. It was standard dole and get on with it. I'm bloody thankful for my job this time around but its not been easy working in a hospital this year.

Young population?

That helps for sure.

Low number of infections too.

We are making this a crisis ourselves, when it really doesn’t need to be.

We are testing over 10k a day and only a very small percentage test positive each day, resulting in a few hundred “cases”.

Of these cases, a huge number are either not sick at all or extremely mildly ill such as a slight cough, fever etc.

Our hospital numbers also include people in hospital for other reasons who happened to test positive for Covid while in hospital.

Our deaths are admittedly overstated and include lots of “With” Covid deaths. Where basically Covid was just suspected as a contributing factor. But the main factor was possibly that the person was 90 and terminally ill.

If this wasn’t in the news every minute of every day, would you even realise that anything was different?

We go back to normal when WE decide. Probably when the public are completely sick and tired of it all and not listening anymore or when the finances get too bad to keep it up any longer.

I agree with this, as the debt increases we can say bye to the vanity project that is the childrens hospital for a start. Many "In charge" cannot even follow instructions to take dodgy hand santiser out of circulation despite it being flagged weeks before, thank you mister environmental agency, expect a few claims in the post there. The HSE are so OVERWHELMED by the wave they had months to prepare for, that they asked joe public to do their own due diligence of their contacts and so outsourced the patient themselves to track and trace, lovely hurling fellas, use my phone to call everyone whilst I'm struggling with a fatal virus???

They read out txts on TV3 this morning and a hell of a lot of people not surveyed by RTE or screened by NPHET said they'll NOT change so much as one plan to meet up, they're not buying it anymore. As far as COVID being deadly to everyone as the media would have us believe, what we see is simply not what we get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Penfailed wrote: »
    He's obviously exempt due to his roll. It's illegal to drive with a mobile phone to your ear. It doesn't stop the Gardai.
    I forgot that this is the bash Tony thread...

Yet again, for those at the back, his role is to ADVISE THE GOVERNMENT. He can do that in government buildings. He is NOT a government spokesman. No part of his job entails going onto chat shows, that just seems to be a hobby/vanity project.

That helps for sure.

Low number of infections too.

would you believe me if I said in the last 5 years our population of over 85's has gone up over 25%?? cos it's true....

There was a very interesting statistician on the radio last week and that little beut blew me away... how does that change the first wave?? people should think about that for one minute really and come to the logical conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

If we are having to send medics to the North, does that not show the vulnerability of the health systems and how quickly they can be overrun?

• Advertisement

Yet again, for those at the back, his role is to ADVISE THE GOVERNMENT. He can do that in government buildings. He is NOT a government spokesman. No part of his job entails going onto chat shows, that just seems to be a hobby/vanity project.

He is advising the government. People seem to genuinely dislike him which is weird imo.

He seems like a decent bloke who is excellent at his job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement