Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

darconio wrote: »
    They already have the story of the new strain up their sleeve, and several others ready to be brought up at the right moment.

They started something diabolical, if they stop it it will be like admitting that it was all out of proportion.
    The vaccine is effective, but not so effective so hold your horses until we say so, and until we shift the goalpost.
    Restrictions are here to stay but we will be at a stage than even a small allowance will be greeted like a victory. We will get a 2 hour slot in a pub and that will be the highlight of the night, travelling only if essential, mandatory vaccination, but covid-19 is the new antichrist and must be defeated at the expenses of our existence.
    Who will be able to draw the line when we hit the next flu-season? who will be capable of separating the people dying from influenza or cardiovascular/respiratory disease from the people dying with covid? They implanted the fear of dying in the population anything resembling this virus will be treated like the plague.

Me too I really want to be wrong here, I really do ...

Great news. You are.

Happy Christmas.

:)

He's a GP, same as Dr Feeney and Dr De Brun, both of whom were forced out of their positions because they dared disagree with St Tony of Scandal.

Heard Immunity loon and anti mask nut?

They "disagreed" with reality and both resigned.

Hardly any sort of loss TBF.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I really don't understand the hairdressers/salons been closed again. What is the science behind those, they are I would think the safest retail activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

rob316 wrote: »
    I really don't understand the hairdressers/salons been closed again. What is the science behind those, they are I would think the safest retail activity.

Was just about to post the same thing.
    They have followed all guidelines etc since re-opening. Makes absolutely no sense that they should have to shut up shop again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ok, an atricle from one of the worst English papers and it's from January when all this was breaking.

I'm not accepting this as proof that the Irish media is scaremongering the Irish population.

Anybody who depends on The Sun for news is an idiot in my opinion.

You said you didn’t read any articles RE people falling dead and there was little coverage at the time.
    It was constantly being covered on ALL media at the time.
    The very essence of scaremongering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Portugal begin vaccinating on Sunday, Ireland will give its first on New Year’s Eve. A pathetic 10,000 doses in the first batch which will mean 5,000 will be done.

Already behind other nations.

Our lot more interested in closing down barbers but keeping Penney’s open for some strange reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

“Many people are alive today because of our actions” “we have the lowest death rate in Europe due to our actions”

No Micheál, the age profile of the nation is the reason, not the restrictions

He wants people to be afraid...

And yet you can’t see any evidence of fear mongering...

And what exactly is the “right thing”?
    I stupidly thought that Holohan and RTE would lay off the fear-mongering and hysteria for a week or so around Christmas and give people a break.

It doesn't affect me as I never watch RTE or listen to their radio stations but I know a lot of older people who get all their info. from RTE.

It really is disgraceful after 9 solid months of finger-wagging they have ramped up the hysteria just as people might finally get a chance to spend some time with family that they haven't seen in a long time.

Holohan and RTE should be ashamed of themselves.
    Why are hairdressers closing on the 24th?

It’s a police state now
    Assume the gyms will be closed yet again... FFS
    darconio wrote: »
    They already have the story of the new strain up their sleeve, and several others ready to be brought up at the right moment.

They started something diabolical, if they stop it it will be like admitting that it was all out of proportion.
    The vaccine is effective, but not so effective so hold your horses until we say so, and until we shift the goalpost.
    Restrictions are here to stay but we will be at a stage than even a small allowance will be greeted like a victory. We will get a 2 hour slot in a pub and that will be the highlight of the night, travelling only if essential, mandatory vaccination, but covid-19 is the new antichrist and must be defeated at the expenses of our existence.
    Who will be able to draw the line when we hit the next flu-season? who will be capable of separating the people dying from influenza or cardiovascular/respiratory disease from the people dying with covid? They implanted the fear of dying in the population anything resembling this virus will be treated like the plague.

Me too I really want to be wrong here, I really do ...

Peak hysteria on the restrictions thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

...and with straight faces, they'll accuse others of scaremongering. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,975 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

No messing around here, they've pretty much thought of every angle to avoid Traditional Christmas eve gatherings in pubs, Hotel bars, residents only. Odd decision re non essential retail, most closed after Christmas eve for a few days anyway.

I'll get hammered but what exactly has happened over the past two weeks???? Bedlam in shops, not terribly difficult to work out what's to blame.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Lundstram wrote: »
    Portugal begin vaccinating on Sunday, Ireland will give its first on New Year’s Eve. A pathetic 10,000 doses in the first batch which will mean 5,000 will be done.

Our lot more interested in closing down barbers but keeping Penney’s open for some strange reason.

You're not following this well. 10,000 doses will mean 10,000 vaccinated from first batch.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    No messing around here, they've pretty much thought of every angle to avoid Traditional Christmas eve gatherings in pubs, Hotel bars, residents only. Odd decision re non essential retail, most closed after Christmas eve for a few days anyway.

I'll get hammered but what exactly has happened over the past two weeks???? Bedlam in shops, not terribly difficult to work out what's to blame.

Allowing non-essential retail to remain open would suggests they think it's restaurants/gastropubs and home visits that are driving everything. Otherwise retail would be closed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Amirani wrote: »
    You're not following this well. 10,000 doses will mean 10,000 vaccinated from first batch.

If people need 2 shots to be properly vaccinated then 10000 doses will result in 5000 people being vaccinated. No ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

2020 in a nutshell

"As ministers prepare to announce fresh anti-virus restrictions for the hospitality sector, representatives of the industry say they will accept a longer and deeper shutdown to keep infection rates dampened if the Government significantly beefs up taxpayer compensation paid to operators.

Restaurateurs and publicans are bracing this week for an expected further shutdown of the hospitality sector, which public health officials blame in part for causing a recent spike in infection rates, although they have yet to produce statistical evidence to illustrate how hospitality affects the spread.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/bars-and-restaurants-will-accept-longer-shutdown-if-state-raises-compensation-1.4443234

• Registered Users Posts: 38,151 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Farce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Joke really. They haven't gone far enough

dalyboy wrote: »
    If people need 2 shots to be properly vaccinated then 10000 doses will result in 5000 people being vaccinated. No ?

No. The first batch of 10,000 will be given to 10,000 people. That cohort will then get their second dose from a future delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Can you put up the link with 10,000. Be interesting to see how the number was arrived at. Is it to do with population?

Nah that’s misleading.

Many are only looking for common sense.

The hysteria is those who want it abdicated because of a Winter cold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

dalyboy wrote: »
    You said you didn’t read any articles RE people falling dead and there was little coverage at the time.
    It was constantly being covered on ALL media at the time.
    The very essence of scaremongering.

I agree with this, there is no question the govt were feeding the media soundbites to ensure compliance via fear (which mostly worked)...if you stopped a hundred people on the street most would not even know of the Epidemiology reports available on the hspc website.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    He's the Chief Medical Officer. A man of science . Highly qualified and hold a position of authority

I'd value his opinion more on medical issues more than internet posters, anti-maskers etc.

Questioning is fine but he's lookng at this from a medical point of view and economic, social interactions and pubs are different issues.

“Hold a position of authority”

How does he hold that?

Can you put up the link with 10,000. Be interesting to see how the number was arrived at. Is it to do with population?

We're getting a bit more than 1% of the first EU delivery, in-line with our population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You need 2 jabs to be vaccinated, so we'll either have 5000 vaccinated or none.

Really, before it was approved?

Have you a link to that news article, would like to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We're getting a bit more than 1% of the first EU delivery, in-line with our population.

So that is fair enough way in doing it. EU controlling the supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,151 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Just dont know anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Boggles wrote: »
    Really, before it was approved?

Have you a link to that news article, would like to read it.

Was approved a few days ago. https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1221/1185803-vaccine-authorisation/

You need 2 jabs to be vaccinated, so we'll either have 5000 vaccinated or none.

No, we'll have 10,000 vaccinated with a single dose.

Many vaccines require 2 doses. You've still be vaccinated if you've just had 1 dose, you just won't have the same level of protection; though indications are that you'd still have quite a good level of protection from 1 dose of BNT162b2.

It was approved yesterday (Monday) according to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Assume the gyms will be closed yet again... FFS

Nope, hair dressers are deemed a bigger risk than a room full of sweaty heavy breathers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement