Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options
1330331332333334336»

Comments

Not upset in the slightest. I know that i haven` t knowingly and selfishly contributed to causing the very serious situation the health service is in with hospitalisations and deaths as a result of contracting Covid in the community off the scale. How is your conscience today?

My conscience is fine. Even if i caught Covid and unknowingly spread it it would still be fine.

I didn’t create a mild respiratory illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

My conscience is fine. Even if i caught Covid and unknowingly spread it it would still be fine.

I didn’t create a mild respiratory illness.

Is it just a mild respiratory illness for those that have suffered serious long term effects, have been hospitalised, have been put into ICU and have died from it. Or is it that your view is that these people are all "beyond their economic use"and shure they were on the way out anyway"? Open everything up and **** the vulnerable? Is that what you think should happen?

Is it just a mild respiratory illness for those that have suffered serious long term effects, have been hospitalised, have been put into ICU and have died from it. Or is it that your view is that these people are all "beyond their economic use"and shure they were on the way out anyway"? Open everything up and **** the vulnerable? Is that what you think should happen?

It is mild based on the stats. Go have a look at the overall number of known cases and the overall number of deaths. Factor in that we likely have way more cases than reported as the WHO stated.

I’ve never seen anyone say “open everything up and f*ck the vulnerable “.

But plenty of people have offered much better alternatives than staying locked up for months.

Have a read through the threads, you’re good at searching through old posts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Another health worker dies.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40209266.html

Leaves behind a young family.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

It is mild based on the stats. Go have a look at the overall number of known cases and the overall number of deaths. Factor in that we likely have way more cases than reported as the WHO stated.

What about these stats? Outcome of each case isn't a binary metric of life or death, particularly among those who are hospitalized.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/08/health/Covid-survivors-longterm.html
    A new study — believed to be the largest so far in which doctors evaluated patients six months after they became ill — suggests that many people will experience lingering problems like fatigue, insomnia, depression, anxiety or diminished lung function.

The study of 1,733 coronavirus patients who were discharged from a hospital in Wuhan, China, the original epicenter of the pandemic, found that more than three-quarters of them had at least one symptom six months later.
    [...]

The most common issue was ongoing exhaustion or muscle weakness, experienced by 63 percent of the patients. About one-quarter of the patients reported difficulty sleeping and 23 percent said they experienced anxiety or depression.

“It shows that a substantial portion of people, far higher than you would expect in the general population, are exhibiting symptoms that are having an impact,” said Dr. Steven Deeks, a professor of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, who is leading a study on long-term coronavirus symptoms that will follow patients for up to two years. “And importantly, there’s no specific pathway, there’s multiple different outcomes that occur: mental health stuff and pulmonary stuff and quality-of-life stuff. This provides pretty solid confirmation for what we’re all are seeing.”

[...]

The study involved patients who were sick enough to be hospitalized, but in most cases were not the most severely debilitated. About 75 percent required supplemental oxygen when they were hospitalized, but the vast majority did not need ventilators or even high-flow nasal oxygen, a noninvasive method used in treating respiratory failure.

[...]

The researchers also found that some people who had normal kidney function when they were hospitalized showed indications of diminished kidney function months later.

Diminished kidney function doesn't sound like a mild outcome to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

But plenty of people have offered much better alternatives than staying locked up for months.

Have a read through the threads, you’re good at searching through old posts ;)
    I did just that and it didn`t take me long to come across this gem from you.

Originally Posted by jacdaniel2014
    We don’t need lockdown. Yesterday included a large backlog of cases. Positive swabs yesterday was 698 off 13000+ tests.

The cases are already levelling off before any lockdown.

And festive season is ending in a few days anyways. Then dry January begins.

We’ll be grand. Only 28 or something in ICU. What’s the panic?

That turned out exactly as you thought it would didnt it...................not?

And BTW I will continue to search through old posts if I see fit so carry on with your smart comments all you want lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

paw patrol wrote: »
    fining people alone on a beach or having a swim isn't about health care or the state of the nation.
    It's just tokenism , some meaningless gesture to show the state are taking it seriously but does the square root of fcuk all to combat covid.

No, its not.

There is a 5Km rule, its not open to interpretation. If you go outside the 5KM radius then you are non-compliant. Whether your on your own, in an isolated place. Its there for a reason.

She was stopped by the cops, told to go home, ignored what she was told and went for a walk on the beach. Then got caught again by the cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,826 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So this time 2 weeks level 5 will be over but all directions are pointing towards a lengthy extension

NPHET are never going to advise anything under Level 3 plus (with the hospitality sector closed) and then kick up a fuss if its rejected

Nervous times

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So this time 2 weeks level 5 will be over but all directions are pointing towards a lengthy extension

NPHET are never going to advise anything under Level 3 plus (with the hospitality sector closed) and then kick up a fuss if its rejected

Nervous times

Click and collect will be back maybe, that will be about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

What utter drivel on both counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

What about these stats? Outcome of each case isn't a binary metric of life or death, particularly among those who are hospitalized.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/08/health/Covid-survivors-longterm.html

Diminished kidney function doesn't sound like a mild outcome to me

NY Times.. just stop, were not a nation of obese diabetics. yet.

America has been torn asunder, we're nowhere near what they have had happen.

its a mild cold/flu for the VAST majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

copeyhagen wrote: »
    NY Times.. just stop, were not a nation of obese diabetics. yet.

America has been torn asunder, we're nowhere near what they have had happen.

OK, so lets ignore these stats then cause it's a different country and we don't like the NY times. Right so. Only consult and frame data in a purely binary fashion which focuses on survival rates and not long term health consequences for hospitalized cases, which we would prefer to ignore.

Over the last couple months there's been a few posters in here who've argued that this is a 'casedemic' which requires the 'perspective' of not focusing on the number of cases but the actual 'outcome' of them. Well here we have a sourced study which shows that the outcome of many hospitalised cases does not look so good when you actually examine the data available.

Also the study is based off Wuhan, not the US.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32656-8/fulltext

17:32 edit
    Another thing, yes for the vast majority it is a mild flu. For even the vaster majority it is probably even more benign. That doesn't change the fact that the numbers being hospitalized is tremendous and the cost/implications for long term public health is worrying. In part due to how it is being spread by these asymptomic/benign cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

copeyhagen wrote: »

How is this still even needing to be said nearly a year into this crisis? Some people are more stubborn than mules.

I did just that and it didn`t take me long to come across this gem from you.

Originally Posted by jacdaniel2014
    We don’t need lockdown. Yesterday included a large backlog of cases. Positive swabs yesterday was 698 off 13000+ tests.

The cases are already levelling off before any lockdown.

And festive season is ending in a few days anyways. Then dry January begins.

We’ll be grand. Only 28 or something in ICU. What’s the panic?

That turned out exactly as you thought it would didnt it...................not?

And BTW I will continue to search through old posts if I see fit so carry on with your smart comments all you want lad.

What are you posting that for now? Are you just posting random stuff at this point?

We don’t need lockdown. We are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »

Nervous times

We're in level 5 till at least Easter, if you believe anything else then "nervous times" are your own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The government have to balance the economy and people’s constitutional rugged along with NPHET advice

hynesie08 wrote: »
    We're in level 5 till at least Easter, if you believe anything else then "nervous times" are your own fault.

I don't share your glass half-empty outlook, it might be contaminated. Swab numbers have dipped below 2000 for the first time since December 29, positivity rate of just over 10% at lowest point going back to December 27. At this rate of progress I would be astonished if we were still in Level 5 by March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

It will be level 3+ on 1st March and level 2 on 1st April heading to level 1 by 1st June then by September when schools and universities returning we will be fully back to normal. This is based on the vaccine plan which is still on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I don't share your glass half-empty outlook, it might be contaminated. Swab numbers have dipped below 2000 for the first time since December 29, positivity rate of just over 10% at lowest point going back to December 27. At this rate of progress I would be astonished if we were still in Level 5 by March.

I wanna be wrong, believe me I do, but I think we're going to spend the next 2 months flying through vaccinations. "level 5" is a misnomer, I think construction and schools will be back, but no hope of hospitality or non essential retail. They're not reopening that until we're below 100 cases again.....

froog wrote: »
    What utter drivel on both counts.

Says the guy who said the economy would bounce right back in 2021...

Not looking good is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I've said it before, the numbers will drop pretty significantly by the end of Jan, which is already happening, we are in week 4 of our 6 week surge we will go back to testing healthy people (as in people who test positive but are completely asymptomatic) to justify the level 5 restrictions, the ICU rate will fall by the middle of February...numbers in hospital and ICU will stabilize from then before dropping coming into the summer months.

Of course I could be wrong, but we need to start thinking about this virus in the context of our collective immune systems, the times of year when that is at it's weakest....and not as something we can chase out of the country or hide in our homes from either!

Some of the hysteria has gotten the better of a lot of posters....not thinking clearly largely because fear has been a vital tool the Government has used to control us.

I wanna be wrong, believe me I do, but I think we're going to spend the next 2 months flying through vaccinations. "level 5" is a misnomer, I think construction and schools will be back, but no hope of hospitality or non essential retail. They're not reopening that until we're below 100 cases again.....

You're probably right in fairness, with the glaring exception of "flying through vaccinations". As night follows day, so disarray trails the HSE. Fully expecting them to clatter into every roadblock, for instance improperly storing batches and falling behind schedule on delivery. And no accountability of course being a faceless beast that chews through taxpayer money like a knife through butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,826 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Numbers lowering which is a good sign i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Says the guy who said the economy would bounce right back in 2021...

Not looking good is it?

it's mid january.

As I said before Christmas, we don’t need lockdown. January is historically a dead month anyways and cases/deaths are dropping quickly.

Would certainly expect construction and schools back very soon.

This lockdown until May talk is nonsense.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement