Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

At least you didnt put your arm around her!

0015ba48-500.jpg

Miriam and David were only looking for directions on how to get away from there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

Now in the scheme of things it's not too bad but yet they have been preaching to the rest of society for months

Yes although the rules themselves should be done away with for two reasons:

1) Their impossibility. In end no one can be social distancing long term and (virtually) no one is. Maybe a very small few people are managing to successfully torture themselves. I've read of old people dying alone in the UK having seen nobody for several months. Very sad.

2) Unproven. No one has asked for cast-iron repeated empirical testing to verify the social distancing theory, and no one will ask. In fact the entire society-wide cult around 'science' (undefined) is a giant sham.

You can see Varadkar going around in a car with a driver, with no mask. Etc. Endless examples if you look for them

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Christ almighty Bryan Dobson on RTE1 apologising for his behaviour saying it goes in the face of everyone who has sacrificed so much and to the families of people who died.
    Now I'll be the first for condeming RTE for the way they have reported the covid 19 situation but this is a seperate issue....He literally just stood beside someone...Have we gone f**king mad???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

seamus wrote: »
    I know it seems like such a petty matter, but for some reason this **** enrages me.

Not because I hold RTE presenters up on a pedestal, or I consider them to be paragons of virtue.

But because there is no fvkcing excuse for it. "Momentary lapse in judgement" my hole. It's not like any of them "forgot" there was a pandemic on for that brief moment. They knew what they were doing and either decided that they didn't care, or didn't have the balls to not do it.

And then people get all worked up when NPHET accuse workplaces of not sticking to the rules, or people having parties. But if this is taking place in RTE, it's taking place everywhere.

I'm unreasonably irritated by those photos. If everyone makes an exception "just this once" for whatever they're doing, the virus will just keep circulating.

Nothing new here, people have been making exceptions when it suits them throughout this pandemic, and likewise
    people have been picking and choosing which ones to get outraged by to suit themselves, the first BLM march comes to mind for example

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Christ almighty Bryan Dobson on RTE1 apologising for his behaviour saying it goes in the face of everyone who has sacrificed so much and to the families of people who died.
    Now I'll be the first for condeming RTE for the way they have reported the covid 19 situation but this is a seperate issue....He literally just stood beside someone...Have we gone f**king mad???

That would be fine and it's not a major thing overall

However RTE are making a living preaching to the the rest of society about what to do

They love publicizing stories about people breaking the regulations

Look at the outrage about people drinking in the streets of Dublin and Cork

Dobbo was very hard on the people who attended golfgate saying they should not have attended and should not have accepted the invite etc

Yet he does the same months later

Do as I say not what I do again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

froog wrote: »
    NPHET aren't some cartoon like sinister supervillian team. they're a bunch of academics and public health experts genuinely doing their best to save lives in a very very difficult situation and against an uncomfortably growing misinformation, conspiracy theory and anti science culture we have inherited from the USA. they get some things wrong, but they are good people doing their best under enormous pressure and they have us in a good position right now. i'd rather be in ireland than any other country in the world dealing with COVID right now and if everyone is being totally honest they'd think the same.

I would agree in principle.

However, we do need to be clear that nphet aren’t playing games with the numbers, because if they do they lose all credibility.

I’m not suggesting for a second that they are falsifying them, but sometimes their presentation leaves a bit to be desired.

For example nphet have said that there are far more people using the roads - and by implication travelling to work - than in lockdown mark1.

This is true, but the clear implication from nphet is that it is this that has caused the recent increase in numbers. The numbers travelling around havent materially changed since we went on level 5, nor has street drinking , or anything else.

So the increase in week 4 isn’t caused by any material change in behaviour since week one.

That begs the question - what has caused it?

And I don’t think that anyone, including nphet, does.

So why are we locking the whole country down to solve a problem when we don’t know what’s causing the problem?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Good

Live by the sword, die by the sword

Only sorry they got caught

Should all be suspended for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

That won't happen as Dobbo is back on the radio right now

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Yes, but can you just imagine the same Dobson barking at some politician who did the same thing?

He would be demanding his/her head on a plate.

And as for an “impromptu” party - I don’t buy that for a second. The pics showed a party which had been preplanned, complete with helium balloons.

And Dobson didn’t apologise for breaking regulations - he apologised for getting caught.

• Advertisement

But they are humans...they make mistakes...same as me and you. Plenty of people preaching to their loved ones to wear masks but they might walk into a shop and forget to put one on for a couple of minutes..doesn't mean they are telling everyone what to do but not following rules themselves..it's a simple mistake.
    Honestly we have lost it if we are talking about this as a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Lesson learned, hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

AltGrp0 wrote: »
    Sound, thanks. That is very worrying but confirms what I thought, the PCR test cycle thresholds are generating huge % false positives. It's this type of thing has me concerned. I watched the oireachteas hearings. No straight answers forthcoming from Glynn et al

No they are not.

Different analysers run at various PCR cycles. Some might be 35, 40 or 45. It depends on the lab and the manufacturer, so Colm Henry could not give one answer to that question.

I work in a hospital lab. Our Microbiology department analyser CAN run up to 45 cycles but any patient sample that flags as positive over 35 cycles will be repeated at per the manufacturer's SOP. We have yet to have a positive patient greater than 31 cycles.

Just because an analyser can run up to 45 cycles does absolutely not mean that loads, or any, positive swabs are detected and reported at that level.

People have been misunderstanding and misrepresenting the whole testing process since the beginning. There are a lot of quality controls, extensive documentation that regulat Covid swab analysis.

There are not huge numbers of false positives. Dr Cillian De Gascun, virologist and head of the NVRL said it himself. He posted a Twitter thread trying to explain the testing process and people still took it up wrong and drew their own wrong conclusions and continue to report them as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,528 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I know what plateaued means, cheers. Cases haven't plateaued, look at the chart I sent you.

I'm giving you official figures, our positivity rate basically hasn't change, well 0.2% in 14 days.

That's fact, I don't need a chart to see that.

Here's a positivity rate chart for the last 14 days.

Day 1_______________________________________________Day 14.

branie2 wrote: »
    Lesson learned, hopefully

The lesson is that nobody is or can consistently social distance including the most prominent propagandists in favour of social distancing.

But they are humans...they make mistakes...same as me and you. Plenty of people preaching to their loved ones to wear masks but they might walk into a shop and forget to put one on for a couple of minutes..doesn't mean they are telling everyone what to do but not following rules themselves..it's a simple mistake.
    Honestly we have lost it if we are talking about this as a big issue.

**** off with that mistake ****e

They had a party

Balloons, cakes etc

It was pre planned

Our kids couldn't go trick or treat in the fresh ****ing air but those millionaire ***** in RTE can have ****ing parties

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

Thierry12 wrote: »

They had a party

Balloons, cakes etc

It was pre planned

Our kids couldn't go trick or treat in the fresh ****ing air but those millionaire ***** in RTE can have ****ing parties

Why couldn't they?

Loads trick or treating around my area, all perfectly safe.

Allinall wrote: »
    Why couldn't they?

Loads trick or treating around my area, all perfectly safe.

You were advised not to

By RTE

As you well know

Not that I took the advice, glad you didn't either

I heard today, that Letterkenny hospital have been taking in covid19 patients from Northern Ireland as they have run out of room in Altnagelvin hospital in Derry.

Jurgen Klopp refuses to criticise Salah after attending wedding
    Liverpool manager accepts, ‘a brother’s wedding is a very special moment’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Wow! This thread really is a slimey place! Lifting up the slate to find a load of bug-eyed grubs scurrying about the place.

People viciously attacker Tony Holohan. A man almost universally held up as an example of someone who has ably guided this country through a terrible crisis. Some of the vile stuff posted was tough to read.

Then the holier than thou pitchfork gathering at the sight of people who have the audacity of being employed by RTE wishing a colleague well. Men salivating and snarling at the sight of the slightest indiscretion. Jesus.

The angry undertone of the criticism lumped out here is concerning. Thankfully it's only a dark pocket of the internet and not representative of society as a whole, which is mostly united in pulling together and getting this virus under control.

They had a party

Balloons, cakes etc

It was pre planned

Would you ever relax...there's absolutely no need to direct that tirade at me.
    Anyways...we will obviously agree to disagree

Would you ever relax...there's absolutely no need to direct that tirade at me.
    Anyways...we will obviously agree to disagree

Apologies wasn't directed at you, i'm sorry for that

Sick of excuses being made for millionaires that know right from wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

You were advised not to

By RTE

As you well know

Not that I took the advice, glad you didn't either

RTE didn't advise anyone.

You literally said "Our kids couldn't go trick or treat in the fresh ****ing air"

Yet they did.

Allinall wrote: »
    RTE didn't advise anyone.

Yes they did

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Yes they did

It was Government advice and RTE reported it - didn't come from them!

Wow! This thread really is a slimey place! Lifting up the slate to find a load of bug-eyed grubs scurrying about the place.

People viciously attacker Tony Holohan. A man almost universally held up as an example of someone who has ably guided this country through a terrible crisis. Some of the vile stuff posted was tough to read.

Then the holier than thou pitchfork gathering at the sight of people who have the audacity of being employed by RTE wishing a colleague well. Men salivating and snarling at the sight of the slightest indiscretion. Jesus.

The angry undertone of the criticism lumped out here is concerning. Thankfully it's only a dark pocket of the internet and not representative of society as a whole, which is mostly united in pulling together and getting this virus under control.

It is the same idea as a crowd at a football match shouting at the referee because they thought he had made a bad decision. Some people need to vent their anger, and people who come on to boards to do so end up saying things in the heat of the moment.

Maybe some of the angry remarks directed at Tony Holohan have been made by people who stayed up drinking until 4am and are not long out of bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,528 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

It is the same idea as a crowd at a football match shouting at the referee because they thought he had made a bad decision. Some people need to vent their anger, and people who come hi on to boards to do so end up saying things in the heat of the moment.

Maybe some of the angry remarks directed at Tony Holohan have been made by people who stayed up drinking until 4am and are not long out of bed.

If you want to use a football analogy then try this one.

There is only one team being referred here. There is only one illness in town.

Only one team in one league in the entirety of the world of soccer is being refereed. Forget every other team playing in every other league we are only going to concentrate all our efforts in one place, and a team that isn’t any worse for its red cards than all the other teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

You're almost stalking me at this stage lol

How am I to know someone posted that link months ago?

Can you do something useful? Perhaps post a modern link to see how our healthcare professionals like yourself are doing now?

Doing a lot more useful than you, on your keyboard all day abusing hospital staff.
    You post sxxx expect people to respond!
    Look up the data yourself, I don't have the time or interest to be posting links for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement