Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

owlbethere wrote: »
    I think it's more important now more so than ever to follow the guidelines and reduce virus transmissions. I know many people like to think this virus is mild but it's not. There's long covid and damage or organs. We are so close to a vaccine being rolled out. Phizer applying for emergency use could mean the start of vaccine being rolled out from next months. It will probably be healthcare workers first for the vaccine. I read somewhere that some of the vaccine ls in development for covid is 2 injections 28 days apart. It will be the end of January by the time the first round of people being vaccinated will have protection from the vaccine.

What's the point of throwing caution to the wind and potentially being responsible for rising infection rates and for spread and jeopardising the plan to protect healthcare workers?

I'm willing to write off the rest of this year and Christmas and hunker down and go nuts next summer after a vaccine for the general population.

Fair play to you.
    The more people that adopt that attitude the less people that will be in the pub when I spend every afternoon there once they reopen

Bring on Christmas, beer, darts, parties and a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Write Christmas off?

I've seen absolutely nobody bar colleagues, people I live with and medical staff since the lockdown was announced because I'm abiding by the restrictions but I'm f*cked if I'm gonna leave my 90 year old grandmother alone for Christmas because of restrictions. I don't care what they say by Christmas, she'll be coming to mine and staying the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AltGrp0

They don't. I don't think you understand the process.

The analysis will be completed when the analyser does 45 cycles. That's what the analyser can perform, what it was built to do, what it is capable of.

They know anything positive at the upper level could be remnants of RNA or contamination.
    So they instruct users to repeat anything that comes up as positive over 35 cycles to be sure of the result.

I just gave the example that our lab hasn't had a patient result over 35 cycles. We don't use 31 as the cut off. We could get a swab give a positive result at 36 or 38 and then it would be repeated.

I gave this example to demonstrate that positive results over 35 cycles are rare and wont be resulted as positive unless the lab is absolutely sure it is s positive and not a false one.
    Ok, thanks for the clarification. I appreciate your patience in this regard. So, analyzers always run up to their full capacity of 45 cycles. If positive results only occur when cycles reach 35+ then the the tests are repeated, as positive readings above 35 cycles are considered unreliable. Why is the test not simply counted as a negative result at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

AltGrp0 wrote: »
    South Koreans should be more concerned by the 48 people who died there this year after taking their flu vaccine.

Did they just die after having the vaccine or are the deaths vaccine related? Have you got any more information on this? Any idea what the uptake on the flu vaccine there is this year?

I see you're asking probing questions of other users and doing your best to draw a conclusion that you want rather than looking at the information without bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

My friend's father tested positive. His job requires a lot of in-person work but he was trying very hard to maintain distance and sanitize everything after his clients came in. His daughter and stepdaughter who live in their house as well are being tested as their symptomatic but his wife, who doesn't have symptoms, has been refused a test by the HSE as she isn't symptomatic.

I didn't know they were doing this, I thought that if you were a close contact you would be prioritised for testing, especially seeing as "most transmission is in households".

• Advertisement

circadian wrote: »
    Did they just die after having the vaccine or are the deaths vaccine related? Have you got any more information on this? Any idea what the uptake on the flu vaccine there is this year?

I see you're asking probing questions of other users and doing your best to draw a conclusion that you want rather than looking at the information without bias.

I can't provide links as I'm new to boards. You have, I see already concluded that the deaths are not vaccine related. You can find the story Newsweek 20 NOV. The number had by then risen to 60, now at 82 deaths. You are projecting your confirmation bias onto others as is usually the case with small minded people. I am asking "probing questions" as I have found someone who knows what they are talking about and I want to learn as much as possible on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    My friend's father tested positive. His job requires a lot of in-person work but he was trying very hard to maintain distance and sanitize everything after his clients came in. His daughter and stepdaughter who live in their house as well are being tested as their symptomatic but his wife, who doesn't have symptoms, has been refused a test by the HSE as she isn't symptomatic.

I didn't know they were doing this, I thought that if you were a close contact you would be prioritised for testing, especially seeing as "most transmission is in households".

Strange. My friend was deemed a close contact with a work colleague (in a deli) who tested positive. My friend was told by HSE to isolate for the 14 days (she had no symptoms) and was tested twice, 7 and 11 or so days in. Tested negative both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭VonLuck

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    Write Christmas off?

I've seen absolutely nobody bar colleagues, people I live with and medical staff since the lockdown was announced because I'm abiding by the restrictions but I'm f*cked if I'm gonna leave my 90 year old grandmother alone for Christmas because of restrictions. I don't care what they say by Christmas, she'll be coming to mine and staying the night.

Most people wouldn't judge you for that. As long as you and, more importantly, your grandmother are aware of the risks (however small they may be).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

I can't provide links as I'm new to boards. You have, I see already concluded that the deaths are not vaccine related. You can find the story Newsweek 20 NOV. The number had by then risen to 60, now at 82 deaths. You are projecting your confirmation bias onto others as is usually the case with small minded people. I am asking "probing questions" as I have found someone who knows what they are talking about and I want to learn as much as possible on the subject.

I'm projecting my confirmation bias? Please, continue. Yes that particular user knows what they're talking about, they've been very informative on here for months. I just don't think you're getting more information to learn, more so to draw your own conclusions that are most likely not what the information clearly shows.

Many have come before you, I suspect many will follow.

circadian wrote: »
    I'm projecting my confirmation bias? Please, continue. Yes that particular user knows what they're talking about, they've been very informative on here for months. I just don't think you're getting more information to learn, more so to draw your own conclusions that are most likely not what the information clearly shows.

Many have come before you, I suspect many will follow.
    yawn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Write Christmas off?

The best thing anybody could do for the grandparents is get them out of nursing homes, residential setting and hospitals where at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

we're gonna smash this thing.

Up-Yours-602x400.jpg

And it will all be put down as a household infection.
    Tell that mother to cop on and pretend she has symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Strange. My friend was deemed a close contact with a work colleague (in a deli) who tested positive. My friend was told by HSE to isolate for the 14 days (she had no symptoms) and was tested twice, 7 and 11 or so days in. Tested negative both times.
    When was this?

My friend's dad tested positive today and his wife was refused the test today. In an urban centre with a lot of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

When was this?

My friend's dad tested positive today and his wife was refused the test today. In an urban centre with a lot of cases.

Who refused to get her tested? Her GP?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I've seen absolutely nobody bar colleagues, people I live with and medical staff since the lockdown was announced because I'm abiding by the restrictions

And thanks to your dedication, the people that are not abiding by any restrictions can now meet 3 or 4 times as many people... they would thank you, but they are busy planning their weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

When was this?

2-3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

None of this makes sense. For starters. Why is the average age of deaths "with covid" at 84 is above the national average for all causes at 82? Why, if this is a lethal pandemic has there been NO EXCESS MORTALITY for the year to date?
    You might have noticed but we've been locking down to control spread.

The UK has 70,000 excess deaths this year so far, they haven't done so well.

As for your claim that there are large numbers of deaths from flu vaccines this year - will you ever give over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I wonder if the Ethnic Wedding group of 50+ people who caused mayhem on the flight to Malaga the other day will be forcibly quarantined on their return? Not a chance. And I doubt they will do it voluntarily either.

Incidences like that are the leaks in the system, but sure just blame everyone else for not washing their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

GT89 wrote: »

That's,the last link,the chain is now completed,all the greatest minds in the world are in agreement with your ravings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Trump promised similar, didn't he? They must be on to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The traffic at the moment is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

None of this makes sense. For starters. Why is the average age of deaths "with covid" at 84 is above the national average for all causes at 82? Why, if this is a lethal pandemic has there been NO EXCESS MORTALITY for the year to date?

Bit of a nit pick but it's annoying when people conflate 'no excess death' and 'no exceptional excess death'. Ireland does have excess deaths of about 900-1200 above normal, it's nothing uncommon for a bad flu season, but still, there are excess deaths. Excess deaths in Northern Ireland are very high, 3x times higher than ours per capita

Extremely high excess deaths in countries like Belgium, Spain, UK, Peru, ,MExico, USA, Poland Russia and dozens more have made it patently clear that the only reason our excess deaths are within normal range is because of restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Bit of a nit pick but it's annoying when people conflate 'no excess death' and 'no exceptional excess death'.

Ah but they put it in capitals so it must be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I appreciate your patience in this regard. So, analyzers always run up to their full capacity of 45 cycles. If positive results only occur when cycles reach 35+ then the the tests are repeated, as positive readings above 35 cycles are considered unreliable. Why is the test not simply counted as a negative result at this stage?
    Positive results can occur at any cycle.
    The earlier the viral replication occurs implies that swab has a very high viral load and the patient highly infectious.

Anecdotally in our lab, the patient who had the highest viral load and flagged positive at very early cycle was an asymptomatic lady who came in to have a pre-op swab done before her elective procedure. Had no idea she was positive and was highly infectious.
    Some may think asymptomatic people aren't infectious and that isn't true.

If a patients swab flags as positive above 35 cycles it is repeated. If it positive again then it will likely be reported as positive. If the swab is negative on repeat it will likely be reported as negative.
    It may also be reported as indeterminate and the patient may be required to be swabbed again. Which is probably the safer thing to do. *

* These decisions may vary between analsyers, labs or individual hospital policy.

hmmm wrote: »
    You might have noticed but we've been locking down to control spread.

The UK has 70,000 excess deaths this year so far, they haven't done so well.

As for your claim that there are large numbers of deaths from flu vaccines this year - will you ever give over.
    Wrong on all counts
    UK excess deaths nearly all occurred March April - during period of full lockdown - due to mismanagement of elderly cases, same as Ireland .. So lockdowns don't save lives.UK deaths at normal levels since then. 82 flu vaccine related deaths in South Korea is a fact, sadly. Whether we like it or not. Singapore halted use of same vaccines as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I wonder if the Ethnic Wedding group of 50+ people who caused mayhem on the flight to Malaga the other day will be forcibly quarantined on their return? Not a chance. And I doubt they will do it voluntarily either.

Incidences like that are the leaks in the system, but sure just blame everyone else for not washing their hands.

I'm only hearing about that now, when you say ethnic I'm guessing native 100% Irish ethnic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Wrong on all counts
    UK excess deaths nearly all occurred March April - during period of full lockdown - due to mismanagement of elderly cases, same as Ireland .. So lockdowns don't save lives.UK deaths at normal levels since then. 82 flu vaccine related deaths in South Korea is a fact, sadly. Whether we like it or not. Singapore halted use of same vaccines as a result.

Again UK excess deaths have been above normal for about 4 weeks now, not exceptionally above normal but quite significantly above normal. But you're right that care home excess deaths are at normal levels, most excess deaths in UK now are in hospitals and at home

https://www.actuaries.org.uk/news-and-insights/news/cmi-sees-fourth-successive-week-increasing-excess-deaths

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement