Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The UK has been top of the game with regards to the public awareness of vaccines. I recommend you watch it.
    We should be hearing from the (only, ironically) epidemiologist on NPHET, Cillian De Gascun at ALL of the briefings.

Public health doctors should give public health advice, not virologists. FWIW - Most public health doctors have extensive epidemiology training.

Cillian De Gascun isn't an epidemiologist. You don't know what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,528 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd love to know how it's going to reach a weekly average of 4 with positivity rate decreasing, but you're the mathematician I guess.
    Well on the hub it's saying we are currently at 3.7%. So in 14 days we've had a 0.2% drop.
    How is that not a plateau?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well on the hub it's saying we are currently at 3.7%. So in 14 days we've had a 0.2% drop.
    How is that not a plateau?
    The 7 day positivity rate stabilising =/= cases plateauing :confused:

Amirani wrote: »
    Public health doctors should give public health advice, not virologists. FWIW - Most public health doctors have extensive epidemiology training.

Cillian De Gascun isn't an epidemiologist. You don't know what you're talking about.
    Epidemiologist was the wrong word to use. He's the only one who actually is a virologist.

Cillian De Gascun

@CillianDeGascun

Medical Virologist (Molecular Epi: HIV, HCV, surveillance, immunisation);
    https://twitter.com/cilliandegascun?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

Amirani wrote: »
    Doing an "internal report" is the same thing as doing an "internal review".

The report/review hadn't been done when he suggested one be done instead of an external review. He offered his advice as CMO, the Minister opted not to take it and go with an external review. There's no scandal when a senior civil servant's advice isn't taken, it happens regularly.

All detailed here: https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30910324.html

If there was nothing to hide, why was he against the external review?
    Why did he say there was nothing wrong with the screening when clearly there was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

You have a scientist, yes. Dr Fauci in the US, Dr. Van Tam in the UK.
    Not the CMO. Witty in the UK isn't even rolled out some days.

I dunno, anytime I've come across a briefing from UK it was Johnson spoofing and spluttering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Is it possible that there is no "asymptomatic cases" and they are actually fales positives or traces of an old common cold ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stateofyou wrote: »
    I think you've forgotten the fact that what defines a close contact has changed and is very different in the school sector unlike anywhere else. This is deliberate.
    It still holds though. Cases don't just disappear. If the definition of a close contact was missing cases en masse, then we would be seeing cases increasing outside of the school context.

We're not. Schools are open and cases are decreasing.
    MOR316 wrote: »
    That's like saying "Well, some other countries are wearing masks but, that doesn't mean we should logically be required to do the same" which is pretty much what NPHET said back some months ago so...I don't trust them at all, especially Holohan and that's based off his previous. y
    Well, yeah. At the time, there was insufficient data to support the use of masks. Other countries did it as a preventative measure. We could have, but the fear was that in the absence of data indicating it's effective, it would cause a shortage of PPE for those we know need it, consumed by those who may not need it.

This is different because we have the data and it doesn't support the assertion that *our* schools are an issue. The study which gave a figure for the risk of schools at a global level basically averaged out data across 130 countries with no regard to health measures in place within schools, density of schools, type of school, local customs, canteens, break ettiquette, etc.

The average figure they gave (IIRC) was something like a 0.2 increase in R0, but the CI was wide. In some countries, opening schools reduced R0. In others it increased it by 0.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eod100 wrote: »
    I dunno, anytime I've come across a briefing from UK it was Johnson spoofing and spluttering.

UK are now holding regularly public briefings with Van Tam and the head of the MHRA, separate from Johnson.

They've been very informative. The first covered cover the whole process of vaccine development and testing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

RTÉ presenters apologise over social distance breaches

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1120/1179383-rte/

I'm looking forward to all the RTE people involved resigning over their 'error in judgement'

Preaching to the rest of society for months yet they can't obey the rules

• Advertisement

UK are now holding regularly public briefings with Van Tam and the head of the MHRA, separate from Johnson.

They've been very informative. The first covered cover the whole process of vaccine development and testing

I haven't tuned in a while tbh but Van Tam seems decent in fairness. Think there needs to be something similar here especially if they're concerned with vaccine hesitancy.

seamus wrote: »
    It still holds though. Cases don't just disappear. If the definition of a close contact was missing cases en masse, then we would be seeing cases increasing outside of the school context.

We're not. Schools are open and cases are decreasing.

Well, yeah. At the time, there was insufficient data to support the use of masks. Other countries did it as a preventative measure. We could have, but the fear was that in the absence of data indicating it's effective, it would cause a shortage of PPE for those we know need it, consumed by those who may not need it.

This is different because we have the data and it doesn't support the assertion that *our* schools are an issue. The study which gave a figure for the risk of schools at a global level basically averaged out data across 130 countries with no regard to health measures in place within schools, density of schools, type of school, local customs, canteens, break ettiquette, etc.

The average figure they gave (IIRC) was something like a 0.2 increase in R0, but the CI was wide. In some countries, opening schools reduced R0. In others it increased it by 0.6.

Sound. Thanks for the reply.

As I said, I've no energy to care anymore but, always love to gather new information and different perspectives :)

KrustyUCC wrote: »

I'm looking forward to all the RTE people involved resigning over their 'error in judgement'

It was stupid mistake but think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in this country who has followed 100% of the guidelines 100% of the time. Would wonder about whoever thought it was a good idea in the first place but also to put the photos online.

Wrong thread but, how in God's name is Blathnaid Ni Chofaigh still employeed by RTE?

She literally does nothing but complain about them and bad mouthed them recently to the media :D

It was stupid mistake but think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in this country who has followed 100% of the guidelines 100% of the time. Would wonder about whoever thought it was a good idea in the first place but also to put the photos online.

There's always a whistle blower...

Anyways, I've nothing against them doing it...Don't care, good luck to them.

Just stop polluting my TV screen with biased opinions and ****e content!

There's always a whistle blower...

Anyways, I've nothing against them doing it...Don't care, good luck to them.

Just stop polluting my TV screen with biased opinions and ****e content!

They were published on an internal RTE site so word was bound to get out. Fair enough.

Comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I know it seems like such a petty matter, but for some reason this **** enrages me.

Not because I hold RTE presenters up on a pedestal, or I consider them to be paragons of virtue.

But because there is no fvkcing excuse for it. "Momentary lapse in judgement" my hole. It's not like any of them "forgot" there was a pandemic on for that brief moment. They knew what they were doing and either decided that they didn't care, or didn't have the balls to not do it.

And then people get all worked up when NPHET accuse workplaces of not sticking to the rules, or people having parties. But if this is taking place in RTE, it's taking place everywhere.

I'm unreasonably irritated by those photos. If everyone makes an exception "just this once" for whatever they're doing, the virus will just keep circulating.

They were published on an internal RTE site so word was bound to get out. Fair enough.

What? :D

****ing idiots!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,528 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The 7 day positivity rate stabilising =/= cases plateauing
    Plateaued means flat, no movement either way.

• Advertisement

I know it seems like such a petty matter, but for some reason this **** enrages me.

Not because I hold RTE presenters up on a pedestal, or I consider them to be paragons of virtue.

But because there is no fvkcing excuse for it. "Momentary lapse in judgement" my hole. It's not like any of them "forgot" there was a pandemic on for that brief moment. They knew what they were doing and either decided that they didn't care, or didn't have the balls to not do it.

And then people get all worked up when NPHET accuse workplaces of not sticking to the rules, or people having parties. But if this is taking place in RTE, it's taking place everywhere.

I'm unreasonably irritated by those photos. If everyone makes an exception "just this once" for whatever they're doing, the virus will just keep circulating.

Look what they're standing on ffs :D

EnQqTGsXYAA1SvZ?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Probably not unreasonable to be honest. We've all become accustomed to giving everyone a wider berth on a footpath or whatever, it's even weird seeing stuff on TV nowadays that involves crowded streets or concert/sporting events from the "before times". Giving someone a hug or posing arms around them for a photo should feel odd to most people these days, as you said – a momentary lapse in judgement my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I haven't tuned in a while tbh but Van Tam seems decent in fairness. Think there needs to be something similar here especially if they're concerned with vaccine hesitancy.

Yeah he's very clear and concise with his information.

Ideally here yes but I think it needs to be a new face or someone who hasn't been in the media as much. People might just switch off if they hear its CMO. Ideally De Gascun I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The way RTE go on you wouldn't think so

What's went wrong?
    Aren't people following the regulations?

Yes RTE ye aren't

Now in the scheme of things it's not too bad but yet they have been preaching to the rest of society for months

Even with the golfgate thing RTE had no problem saying the people shouldn't have attended yet like golfgate they thought their retirement do was above the rules

Newho I'll leave RTE there

eagle eye wrote: »
    Plateaued means flat, no movement either way.
    I know what plateaued means, cheers. Cases haven't plateaued, look at the chart I sent you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Look what they're standing on ffs :D

EnQqTGsXYAA1SvZ?format=jpg&name=medium

Entitled Gob****es

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭prunudo

Entitled Gob****es

At least she has a mask, albeit scrunched up in her hand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

No excuses for RTE. Their workplace clearly not following guidelines like the rest of us. Clearly a large gathering there with sporadic mask wearing. Only see one woman with mask in hand as if she was wearing it just prior. And all of these people would have been very vocal about golf gate of course, miriam, dobbo etc

Not to mention RTE had an outbreak pretty early on the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

At least you didnt put your arm around her!

0015ba48-500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

hmmm wrote: »
    No they haven't.
    You know they didn't skip animal trials? You can literally view the papers on the animal trials.
    https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-data-preclinical-studies-mrna

please read my post again.
    You are misquoting me and also ignoring the reference I posted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement