Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

If you want to use a football analogy then try this one.

There is only one team being referred here. There is only one illness in town.

Only one team in one league in the entirety of the world of soccer is being refereed. Forget every other team playing in every other league we are only going to concentrate all our efforts in one place, and a team that isn’t any worse for its red cards than all the other teams.

Maybe it was a bad analogy.

Ireland is doing pretty ok compared to other parts of Europe and the rest of the world. Our three big problems are Northern Ireland, the flow of people in to the country without self isolating, and no social distancing at certain events such as funerals, wakes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Maybe it was a bad analogy.

Ireland is doing pretty ok compared to other parts of Europe and the rest of the world. Our three big problems are Northern Ireland, the flow of people in to the country without self isolating, and no social distancing at certain events such as funerals, wakes

You missed the point.

The only healthcare problem that our health system is currently treating (badly) is COVID. Good luck and light a candle if anything else is wrong, and if you do have something else wrong don’t go to a hospital, because it’s the place most
    Likely you will get COVID.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I heard today, that Letterkenny hospital have been taking in covid19 patients from Northern Ireland as they have run out of room in Altnagelvin hospital in Derry.

Well after hearing yesterday that agency staff was double jobbing between letterkennt and altnagelvin I wouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think you mixed up your threads.

No I didn't. This thread is about Covid 19 and Jurgen Klopp refused to criticise M. Salah after he contracted covid 19 after he attended a wedding. Feel free to report my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Just back from a short walk and I met an acquaintance who got COVID in March and was in a bad way. Wasn't even 30 and needed a ventilator apparently.

He looked great, thankfully. Great to see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Doing a lot more useful than you, on your keyboard all day abusing hospital staff.
    You post sxxx expect people to respond!
    Look up the data yourself, I don't have the time or interest to be posting links for the likes of you.

Thought so

No data as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AltGrp0

No they are not.

Different analysers run at various PCR cycles. Some might be 35, 40 or 45. It depends on the lab and the manufacturer, so Colm Henry could not give one answer to that question.

I work in a hospital lab. Our Microbiology department analyser CAN run up to 45 cycles but any patient sample that flags as positive over 35 cycles will be repeated at per the manufacturer's SOP. We have yet to have a positive patient greater than 31 cycles.

Just because an analyser can run up to 45 cycles does absolutely not mean that loads, or any, positive swabs are detected and reported at that level.

People have been misunderstanding and misrepresenting the whole testing process since the beginning. There are a lot of quality controls, extensive documentation that regulat Covid swab analysis.

There are not huge numbers of false positives. Dr Cillian De Gascun, virologist and head of the NVRL said it himself. He posted a Twitter thread trying to explain the testing process and people still took it up wrong and drew their own wrong conclusions and continue to report them as fact.
    Thank you for your response. It raises a number of questions though.
    For what reason does your laboratory perform tests at anything other than manufacturers SOP in the first place?
    If more than 31 cycles has never been required to show a positive result, why continue to perform tests at 35, 40 and 45 cycles?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

seamus wrote: »
    I know it seems like such a petty matter, but for some reason this **** enrages me.

Not because I hold RTE presenters up on a pedestal, or I consider them to be paragons of virtue.

But because there is no fvkcing excuse for it. "Momentary lapse in judgement" my hole. It's not like any of them "forgot" there was a pandemic on for that brief moment. They knew what they were doing and either decided that they didn't care, or didn't have the balls to not do it.

And then people get all worked up when NPHET accuse workplaces of not sticking to the rules, or people having parties. But if this is taking place in RTE, it's taking place everywhere.

I'm unreasonably irritated by those photos. If everyone makes an exception "just this once" for whatever they're doing, the virus will just keep circulating.

And I dont buy this “impromptu” nonsense spewed out by rte.

The whole thing was well planned right down to the balloons.

And when they say “a small” number of people attended for a “Short” period, what do they mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Wow! This thread really is a slimey place! Lifting up the slate to find a load of bug-eyed grubs scurrying about the place.

People viciously attacker Tony Holohan. A man almost universally held up as an example of someone who has ably guided this country through a terrible crisis. Some of the vile stuff posted was tough to read.

Is this a wind up? Nobody outside the country knows who he is.

Within the country, a significant portion of people are asking why 20%+ of cases are healthcare workers, why the largest cohort percentage wise is the 85+ age group, why the nursing homes were a shambles, why he talks down to the population daily as if they're infants and why he is lecturing via twitter when his role is to advise Government.

The man had the entire country rooting for him in March/April despite past indiscretions. He had people automatically onside. Performance issues is what's changed in the meantime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Polar101

growleaves wrote: »
    Jurgen Klopp refuses to criticise Salah after attending wedding

"I’ve been in close contact with him"

Slightly unfortunate choice of words there from Klopp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

12,793 swabs, 388 positive. 3.03%. 7-day down to 3.5%

Back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

388 positive swabs from 12,793 tests, 3% positivity

After yesterday's number and looking back over previous days there really shouldn't be anything outstanding. Cases should be below 400

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AltGrp0

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Is this a wind up? Nobody outside the country knows who he is.

Within the country, a significant portion of people are asking why 20%+ of cases are healthcare workers, why the largest cohort percentage wise is the 85+ age group, why the nursing homes were a shambles, why he talks down to the population daily as if they're infants and why he is lecturing via twitter when his role is to advise Government.

The man had the entire country rooting for him in March/April despite past indiscretions. He had people automatically onside. Performance issues is what's changed in the meantime
    None of this makes sense. For starters. Why is the average age of deaths "with covid" at 84 is above the national average for all causes at 82? Why, if this is a lethal pandemic has there been NO EXCESS MORTALITY for the year to date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

GT89 wrote: »

Given the quality of their past musical offerings it's difficult for me to take them too seriously.

Will Yam wrote: »
    And I dont buy this “impromptu” nonsense spewed out by rte.

The whole thing was well planned right down to the balloons.

And when they say “a small” number of people attended for a “Short” period, what do they mean?

Yeah, it's very irritating - and not unlike the Golfgate scandal. I haven't seen any of my colleagues face to face in over 8 months, but these guys are having parties. We all know it's rubbish when they come up with these excuses about how it wasn't a planned party - if they expect anyone to believe that no-one in RTE remembered there's level 5 restrictions ongoing, then it's just insulting.

At least Bryan Dobson issued a proper apology.

After yesterday's number and looking back over previous days there really shouldn't be anything outstanding. Cases should be below 400

Looks promising, high number of tests and low positivity rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

A repeat of yesterday would give us 495 reported cases this evening. Stranger things have happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

growleaves wrote: »

Fair play Klopp. Why should he have to criticise Salah for that? Bottom of the barrel stuff but unsurprising from the hysteria we've seen in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

Hopefully we're over the Halloween related bump in numbers and it'd be nice to see a decrease over the next week.

NI is ****ed however. No lockdown for a week then another "circuit breaker" next week. Everything is going to be rammed, this close to Christmas. Hair cuts, shopping and anything else that people deem absolutely imperative to have done in that one week.

Then we look at Scotland who are locking down the border and locking down council areas, they're not ****ing around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Polar101 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's very irritating - and not unlike the Golfgate scandal. I haven't seen any of my colleagues face to face in over 8 months, but these guys are having parties. We all know it's rubbish when they come up with these excuses about how it wasn't a planned party - if they expect anyone to believe that no-one in RTE remembered there's level 5 restrictions ongoing, then it's just insulting.

I'm not interested in an apology, an admission of stupidity or arrogance maybe.
    I was at an aunt's funeral yesterday, 25 in the church, maybe another half dozen in the cemetery, no one within an asses roar of anyone unless they were from the same household.
    It felt strange, my first funeral since the whole thing kicked off. I had reservations about going put everyone there had enough cop on so why do some people think the recommendations don't apply to them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

AltGrp0 wrote: »
    Thank you for your response. It raises a number of questions though.
    For what reason does your laboratory perform tests at anything other than manufacturers SOP in the first place?
    If more than 31 cycles has never been required to show a positive result, why continue to perform tests at 35, 40 and 45 cycles?

They don't. I don't think you understand the process.

The analysis will be completed when the analyser does 45 cycles. That's what the analyser can perform, what it was built to do, what it is capable of.

They know anything positive at the upper level could be remnants of RNA or contamination.
    So they instruct users to repeat anything that comes up as positive over 35 cycles to be sure of the result.

I just gave the example that our lab hasn't had a patient result over 35 cycles. We don't use 31 as the cut off. We could get a swab give a positive result at 36 or 38 and then it would be repeated.

I gave this example to demonstrate that positive results over 35 cycles are rare and wont be resulted as positive unless the lab is absolutely sure it is s positive and not a false one.

Polar101 wrote: »

It's gas, young people stand outside as advised, drinking in the rain and RTE are all over it like white on rice, for the week..this very reporting has NPHET chomping at the bit, and here we are the very peddlers of hysteria themselves and is a "LAPSE OF JUDGEMENT" a bit like the same lapse of judgement that led one of their producers to the UK in hopes of procuring relations with minor!!
    also, where's the fines?? obvious breaches that we are told will be met with punitive fines..so have it it?? line up Montrose?? it's not a lapse, it's a law breach as we understand it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/17/south-korea-facing-crisis-says-pm-as-covid-measures-tightened
    South Korean PM has announced 'crisis' as country's national case daily average rises by over 200. Bit of an overreaction?! The koreans must be quaking with the fear lookin West if that's what constitutes crisis over there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

bb1234567 wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/17/south-korea-facing-crisis-says-pm-as-covid-measures-tightened
    South Korean PM has announced 'crisis' as country's national case daily average rises by over 200. Bit of an overreaction?! The koreans must be quaking with the fear lookin West if that's what constitutes crisis over there

South Korea is densely populated. They've had some fast spreading outbreaks throughout the pandemic and the best way for them to handle it is to take swift action.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭prunudo

Sorry Nphet/Hse, time for us to divert the focus off us and onto someone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

circadian wrote: »
    Hopefully we're over the Halloween related bump in numbers and it'd be nice to see a decrease over the next week.

Wishful thinking IMO I think it's levelled off - don't think we will see average daily cases drop below 300/400 in the next 2 weeks.

Public have had enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I think it's more important now more so than ever to follow the guidelines and reduce virus transmissions. I know many people like to think this virus is mild but it's not. There's long covid and damage or organs. We are so close to a vaccine being rolled out. Phizer applying for emergency use could mean the start of vaccine being rolled out from next months. It will probably be healthcare workers first for the vaccine. I read somewhere that some of the vaccine ls in development for covid is 2 injections 28 days apart. It will be the end of January by the time the first round of people being vaccinated will have protection from the vaccine.

What's the point of throwing caution to the wind and potentially being responsible for rising infection rates and for spread and jeopardising the plan to protect healthcare workers?

I'm willing to write off the rest of this year and Christmas and hunker down and go nuts next summer after a vaccine for the general population.

owlbethere wrote: »
    I think it's more important now more so than ever to follow the guidelines and reduce virus transmissions. I know many people like to think this virus is mild but it's not. There's long covid and damage or organs. We are so close to a vaccine being rolled out. Phizer applying for emergency use could mean the start of vaccine being rolled out from next months. It will probably be healthcare workers first for the vaccine. I read somewhere that some of the vaccine ls in development for covid is 2 injections 28 days apart. It will be the end of January by the time the first round of people being vaccinated will have protection from the vaccine.

What's the point of throwing caution to the wind and potentially being responsible for rising infection rates and for spread and jeopardising the plan to protect healthcare workers?

I'm willing to write off the rest of this year and Christmas and hunker down and go nuts next summer after a vaccine for the general population.

I get what you're saying but frequently we here, wear a mask, don't wear a mask, it's mild to 80% , it's deadly to everyone, this is a new virus we know nothing about and yet we know there are long term lifetime affects, even though it's a new disease..

so should we all follow the guidelines or just the grunts and not RTE , not the political classes, not the gardai? all of these mentioned have been caught lovely taking the absolute piss out of the public advice you want us to follow and these are the ones who got caught by the way!

I'm not attacking you as a poster but I think your message will be lost when asking anyone to follow advice which seems to carry a "do as we say not as we do" clause attached.

I hope that makes sense, I'm not getting at you at all, just to clarify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

owlbethere wrote: »

That sounds like a party, write Xmas off.. have you friends or family?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement