Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VI - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

brisan wrote: »
    i honestly do not think you have any idea how the Irish property works or will work in the future
    Landlords that drop out will be replaced
    Who buys the properties they sell
    Either other landlords or people who were renting ,thus reducing the renting pool

Considering I was a landlord and I lived thru a good few recessions.

The landlords from the last crash were not replaced, hence the higher rents than before the crash.

When I rented before the big boom, its was 370 for a double room in a house in the city. It cost 900 for that whole house back then, do you want to know the price now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I'll meet who I want and when I want over Xmas.

I don’t think many people are listening to Tony about xmas anyway. I was talking to a lady the other day. She has a young family and her husband is away mostly in the UK working. She told me “ He’s coming home for xmas whether the government like it or not” she also added it was hard to get a booking on the ferry practically booked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Also local councils may move to developing their own land rather than buying turnkey properties. In Dublin that reduces average cost of build by 50%.

Building of social housing stalled in the run up to last crash and this contributed to property boom.

Affordable housing is making a return too. Banks will continue to be cautious, but increased supply of property available under the affordable housing scheme will reduce demand. Granted, buying a property as a personal investment won’t be as attractive. Still money to be made by companies in the buy to rent game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

It was dead in the last crash. Right now its not dead, how much has it shrank so far? Link ?

Link what
    PUP payments
    EWSS payments
    Surely you have heard of these
    Please tell me you have heard of these
    They are life support for the economy
    You must realise this
    Thousands would be out of a job without these
    If you want a link I will give you a link that shows that life support will not save every patient

https://www.independent.ie/business/jobs/potential-job-loss-figure-doubles-in-less-than-a-year-39745158.html

Take a walk around DCC and have a look at all the boarded up out of business retail shops

https://www.businessworld.ie/european-news/ECB-predicts-big-2020-recession-and-partial-rebound-next-year-574039.html
    I could give more links on the British central bank ,the FED the German central bank ,The Japanese central bank all predicting recessions ,but do a bit of research

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Despite Vaccine Hope, Travel Spending Won't Recover Until 2024

Despite the positive news surrounding drugmaker Pfizer and Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine development, along with encouraging results from Oxford-AstraZeneca's vaccine, people should realize that vaccines may not revert today's chaotic world to pre-covid times.

For instance, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates warned Tuesday at the New York Times' Dealbook conference that the virus pandemic will fundamentally reshape business travel and the office experience forever.

Gates said, "my prediction would be that over 50% of business travel and over 30% of days in the office will go away."

He added, "We will go to the office somewhat, we'll do some business travel, but dramatically less."

What Gates suggests is that structural change, such as video conferencing and remote working, will fundamentally change how corporations conduct business. These changes will have negative impacts on the travel industry and commercial real estate.

Given some of the structural changes in play - it's becoming clear that a vaccine will not be the saving grace as pitched by Wall Street and the Trump administration. The freight train of structural change has left the station as a new economic order is being laid down for the decade ahead and will produce permanent declines for specific industries.

The air travel industry will be one of those to experience a slump that could last for years. Business travel, the backbone of air travel demand, as Gates explains above, will be halved.

For more clarity on this topic, the U.S. Travel Association (USTA) projects travel spending will decline by more than $500 billion in 2020 and may not recover back to pre-covid levels until 2024.

USTA said the dramatic decline in travel spending reflects the plunge in business travel. The group said the travel industry has lost 40%, or 3.5 million jobs, and warned more than one million jobs could be lost if additional government bailouts aren't seen by year-end.

The pessimistic forecast comes as vaccine headlines have generated buzz on Wall Street of an imminent economic recovery. Still, as we highlighted above, no matter what vaccines are commercialized and distributed, there are structural changes underway that will forever reshape how the economy functions.

The development of vaccines is the old "chase the carrot" trick used by the government and Wall Street to remind people how these wonder drugs could take us back to pre-covid days. Just like a carrot was tied to a stick in front of a wagon's mule to make them step forward and walk ahead ... the mule was never able to reach the carrot.

Goodbye cheap air travel and cheap holidays it was good while it lasted :D

Well i can tell you this when i get access to the vaccine and my family i’ll be hopping on the plane to visit my family without any doubt.

• Advertisement

Considering I was a landlord and I lived thru a good few recessions.

The landlords from the last crash were not replaced, hence the higher rents than before the crash.

When I rented before the big boom, its was 370 for a double room in a house in the city. It cost 900 for that whole house back then, do you want to know the price now?

I was born in 1960 ,I have lived through a few recessions myself
    I am in my fourth family home
    I along with my wife have had 4 rental properties over the years ,all gone now
    Along with my brothers we flipped over 30 properties and had 5 or 6 rental properties
    My wife owns her own business premises outright
    There is not a lot you can tell me about the Irish property market that I do not already know ,unless you are REIT

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Well i can tell you this when i get access to the vaccine and my family i’ll be hopping on the plane to visit my family without any doubt.

As most of us will
    However our 3 or 4 return flights a year are not what makes airlines profitable
    its the 2 and 3 times a week business traveller that makes them the real money
    Its the man who tells his secretary on a monday lunchtime to book him a flight to London the following day that makes the airlines profitable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

People will be asked to restrict themselves to one main gathering over Christmas with THEIR FAMILIES.

As someone working in a school with 1000+ people with social distancing not possible I have to laugh.

Holohan, Varadkar, Nolan, Martin, Glynn and all the other shysters can go f**k off.

I'll meet who I want and when I want over Xmas.

With the Finger pointed at a few people drinking outdoors on South William Street by the above as the reason for heavy Xmas restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I don’t think many people are listening to Tony about xmas anyway. I was talking to a lady the other day. She has a young family and her husband is away mostly in the UK working. She told me “ He’s coming home for xmas whether the government like it or not” she also added it was hard to get a booking on the ferry practically booked out.

Have spoken to quite a few people recently who were delighted to secure a restaurant reservation in December for their small group. One or two have booked local hotels too, one for NYE.

Does hospitality know something we don’t? All signs currently are pointing to not a hope of pubs, restaurants and hotels opening for December. Now with NI going into lockdown again for two weeks from 27th November, it’s hard to see how there will be any relaxation of restrictions during December other than a couple of extra people in your own home. Maybe sports/gyms..?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

THIS VIRUS IS NASTY AND EXTREMELY DEADLY......so deadly that you have to get a test to see if you actually had it at all and were unaware.

• Advertisement

Have spoken to quite a few people recently who were delighted to secure a restaurant reservation in December for their small group. One or two have booked local hotels too, one for NYE.

Does hospitality know something we don’t? All signs currently are pointing to not a hope of pubs, restaurants and hotels opening for December. Now with NI going into lockdown again for two weeks from 27th November, it’s hard to see how there will be any relaxation of restrictions during December other than a couple of extra people in your own home. Maybe sports/gyms..?

Well I have booked a pub with outdoor dining and drinking for every Sat in December and Christmas eve
    If it goes to level 2 I will cancel and use my local or a pub in town
    They cannot in all conscience keep hospitality closed for December

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

brisan wrote: »
    You do realise the economy is on life support at the moment
    It was not on life support during the last crash
    You do realise that dont you ???

I said it earlier in this thread.
    This government has no new ideas...they`ll just churn out the same **** over and over again. By January the 18th we`ll be in another countrywide lockdown.

They need a new idea.

Protect the most vulnerable in society ie the over 65s and those with underlying conditions and let the workers get on with saving the country and economy before we have neither left.

I said it over a month ago that people would start getting pissed off with the level 5 restricitions and 3 should have been given more time and driving to work every day the traffic is increasing every week - a sure sign that no one actually gives a **** about this lockdown anymore.

People want a plan and a plan that these muppets can stick to. What happened to "living with covid"?

Went out the window with our 5 point plan that turned into a infinite number of decimal places between plans.

December 1st we`re going to level 2.777759999955555 with a bit of level 4.9995552225558777 thrown in with maybe some level 3.9995544112552 for good measure.

And that's if we`re lucky - these idiots might decide to stick us in lockdown for another 2 weeks.

We wont have an economy to return to if they dont come up with a new plan.

We will be at the mercy of the IMF again. Unemployment rate will be 25% plus. People will loose their homes and businesses.

All because there is a severe lack of thinking in this government and nphet.

Actually no - its because no matter what nphet says the idiots that govern us will listen to along with the sheeple that think nphet can do no wrong and their advice is like manna from heaven.

I predict in a few years there will be a tribunal about the handling of this and Tony and this government will be found at fault for destroying the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

kippy wrote: »
    If there are people in this country who think this won't have a financial implication for them at some point, I'd be very surprised.

you don't have to look far for them.

they are posting here believing that cos pascal said it was free money that it was actually free.

a sh1t storm is coming in 2021.
    the debt of 2020 will need to be repaid.

maybe that's why the world economic forum claim we'll own nothing in 2030:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Yestreday RTE - yes RTE - were headlining with a story that the second wave was 90% less fatal than the first wave according to our Minister of Health Stephen Donnelly :-

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1119/1179261-daily-virus-figures/

Of course today and later last night the story got buried by the non stop NPHET Fear propangda about how we are in all danger / we are not doing ennegh etc etc -

What the **** is going on - am I going crazy but why is this story not been broadcast as the main story today -

Why can the media not focus on some positivity instaed of non stop misery , and the authorities contintuing to treat the public like bold stupid children.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

thebaz wrote: »
    Yestreday RTE - yes RTE - were headlining with a story that the second wave was 90% less fatal than the first wave according to our Minister of Health Stephen Donnelly :-

Of course today and later last night the story got buried by the non stop NPHET Fear propangda about how we are in all danger / we are not doing ennegh etc etc -

What the **** is going on - am I going crazy but why is this story not been broadcast as the many story today -

So essentially as the WHO said we only caught 10% of cases in Spring and Covid 19 is essentially a cold.

Imagine destroying this country for something less dangerous than the flu

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So essentially as the WHO said we only caught 10% of cases in Spring and Covid 19 is essentially a cold.

Imagine destroying this country for something less dangerous than the flu

WHO has changed their stance so much, they cause the whole mess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

What the **** is going on - am I going crazy but why is this story not been broadcast as the many story today -

Why can the media not focus on some positivity instaed of non stop misery , and the authorities contintuing to treat the public like bold stupid children.

FFS look how far down it's gone!!!

That's a good few scrolls down. Not something many people would see as they read above the fold.

Screenshot-2020-11-20-RTE-Ireland-s-National-Television-and-Radio-Broadcaster.jpg

Did someone ask Santa/Tony if there's a chance he will let us save Christmas yet today?

What the **** is going on - am I going crazy but why is this story not been broadcast as the main story today -

They're nearly as bad as the North Korea propaganda wing with their filtering out of positive news stories to keep us in a state of apprehension, disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

showpony1 wrote: »
    Did someone ask Santa/Tony if there's a chance he will let us save Christmas yet today?

You'd have a better chance of buying a Turbo-Man on Christmas Eve :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-progress-stalls-and-r-number-rises-as-nphet-warns-a-lot-depends-on-the-next-few-days-1.4413946
    The next few days are crucial.

To me it is very clear why "the next few days are crucial" is the tone of this article and that is because, regardless of whether cases drop or rise from now until next week from what they are now, things are reopening in December.

Telling the media to run with this story is a last ditch attempt at getting the simple people to buy into the whole "save Christmas" narrative and hope to get another drop in the current cases so as to have as low a base as possible with the inevitable reopening in 2 weeks. It would be acceptable if it wasn't so ignorant to where the problems lie (health staff not being careful enough and schools) and if it actually was clear in what exactly it is asking people to do (we are, after all adhering to level 5 which is the maximum level).

But of course, there is still no acknowledgement of our 5 level plan which is supposed to allow us to "live with covid" and get buy in from the public on restrictions when they actually are told why we are doing the things we are doing. Though, the fact TH is obsessed with making this black and white, running with hunches rather than the data, supported by HSE HR staff making up the "NPHET" is tragically the reason for a stubborn inability to "live with covid". Rather they prefer to lockdown until a vaccine is available (because the State budget has never been a concern of theirs).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Because Tony Holi un loves the misery. He’s a very sick individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

He said he wants the cases under a 100 a day, that is not going to happen while schools are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

fin12 wrote: »
    He said he wants the cases under a 100 a day, that is not going to happen while schools are open.

Under a 100 cases won’t happen until May or June as this is an endemic seasonal virus. We are in respiratory infections season atm however it’s easier for NPHET to scapegoat with a blame game strategy.

Last thing they’ll do is admit they fcuked up by not relaxing restrictions in the summer period when we were at 3-5 cases a day.
    It’s a further example that NPHET are unfit for purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

dalyboy wrote: »
    Under a 100 cases won’t happen until May or June as this is an endemic seasonal virus. We are in respiratory infections season atm however it’s easier for NPHET to scapegoat with a blame game strategy.

Last thing they’ll do is admit they fcuked up by not relaxing restrictions in the summer period when we were at 3-5 cases a day.
    It’s a further example that NPHET are unfit for purpose

I remember that waste of space Ro Ro coming out on 10th of July and 11th of July when cases went from 6 to 17 and then back to 4 on daily basis, and was like "the increase was concerning"

Idiots

Or Hospitals or Nursing homes

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-progress-stalls-and-r-number-rises-as-nphet-warns-a-lot-depends-on-the-next-few-days-1.4413946
    The next few days are crucial.

He has been saying this since March. Ask my arse Tony. If they’re so crucial then do something to sort out your kip of a hospital system instead of dictating what we can and can’t do eight months down the line from when you first started telling us “the next few days are crucial”.
    I feel like I’m in some kind of twisted black mirror dystopian when I hear that sentence, it’s like torture to my ears.

He has been saying this since March. Ask my arse Tony. If they’re so crucial then do something to sort out your kip of a hospital system instead of dictating what we can and can’t do eight months down the line from when you first started telling us “the next few days are crucial”.
    I feel like I’m in some kind of twisted black mirror dystopian when I hear that sentence, it’s like torture to my ears.

if he thought it was crucial back when we'd barely any cases while wearing no masks in April, should he not have totally lost his mind by now when there was 1000s a few weeks back. Instead of delivering pretty much the same message every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

It is possible if we galvanise our efforts, whatever that means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The sad reality is a lot of the small family run businesses and pubs will probably never come back from this even if the whole country reopened as normal today which isn't going to happen.

But we won't hear about any of that on RTE and VM1, instead George Lee and Zara King will be wheeled out to sing from Tonys hymn sheet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement