Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VI - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options
  • 06-10-2020 8:48pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

So restrictions are escalating now - everyone on Level 3. Will they be relaxed (ever!!)?

Part I
    Part II
    Part III
    Part IV
    Part V

All warnings and threadbans carry over. Please PM the mod issuing a threadban if you wish to discuss options for being allowed to post again

Mod warnings
    Beasty wrote: »
    It looks like tensions in this thread have been rising

Some general warnings to all:

Remain civil. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just because it's the polar opposite of your own does not invalidate it. Anyone who is uncivil towards other users can expect a minimum of a threadban.

Keep to the topic

Do not present "opinion" as "fact"

Do not believe all stats that are spouted. Usually figures presented in any official way are not only checked for inaccuracies, but will also have caveats and/or explanations of what was done to derive any conclusions reached. Stats though are not "facts" beyond the sample they represent. They can be used to draw conclusions over wider populations, but those conclusions are always subject to a margin of error

If you throw up an example please explain what point you are making. For example "Look at Sweden" means nothing unless you say what you are looking at in connection with Sweden. Is it restrictions, is it deaths, is it infections?
    Beasty wrote: »
    Another reminder - this thread is about restrictions and their relaxation

General Covid discussion belongs in the current Covid thread (#XVII)

Political discussion belongs in Current Affairs or Politics

Threadbans:
    housemouse
    Cupatae
    CtevenSrowder
    Unelected CMO
    Risteard81
    trapp
    RugbyLad11
    Jimmy Garlic
    Jinglejangle69
    easypazz
    snowcat
    ziggyman17
    ShineOn7
    JoeExotic81
    The_Dazzler
    lawrencesummers
    LiquidZeb
    gral6
    John O.Groats
    Plumbthedepths
    Dr.Frost
    Kermit.de.Frog lifted 16/11/20
    nofools
    MelbourneMan
    John_Rambo
    bucketybuck

Comments

In the local a few hours before the restrictions apply, a nice creamy pint in front of me. All the regulars have turned up in solidarity, house nearly filled out with twenty present. Socially distanced and all. Charlie will reopening Thursday, a few tweaks and the outdoor heater fired up. Delighted, the show must go on. Stuff those who say otherwise. I say one word to them: "schools".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭Penfailed

In the local a few hours before the restrictions apply, a nice creamy pint in front of me. All the regulars have turned up in solidarity, house nearly filled out with twenty present. Socially distanced and all. Charlie will reopening Thursday, a few tweaks and the outdoor heater fired up. Delighted, the show must go on. Stuff those who say otherwise. I say one word to them: "schools".

My local has a nicely refurbished area out the back that was tidied up during lockdown. It's one of only three pubs currently open in the town. There was a waiting list all weekend for people wanting to get in (out) for a drink.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,738 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I see Varadkar is rowing back a bit now and saying that a lockdown isn't off the cards after all.

Ah Leo.. as usual, more concerned about the impact on his profile than any sort of integrity or actual position :rolleyes: Clearly the negative press from his friends in the media today have him worried.

And some want this guy back as Taoiseach??

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I see Varadkar is rowing back a bit now and saying that a lockdown isn't off the cards after all.

Ah Leo.. as usual, more concerned about the impact on his profile than any sort of integrity or actual position :rolleyes: Clearly the negative press from his friends in the media today have him worried.

And some want this guy back as Taoiseach??

The "good cop, bad cop" routine is transparent. Gifted on open goal by the leak of NPHET recommendations, thought he had blindsided Holohan with a barely contained cheshire cat grin. A smarmy and underhanded chancer who vastly overestimates his intelligence. You think we're grateful Leo, think again. We see through your shallow facade, you're as slick as bicycle chain oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,738 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The "good cop, bad cop" routine is transparent. Gifted on open goal by the leak of NPHET recommendations, thought he had blindsided Holohan with a barely contained cheshire cat grin. A smarmy and underhanded chancer who vastly overestimates his intelligence. You think we're grateful Leo, think again. We see through your shallow facade, you're as slick as bicycle chain oil.

The problem is many DON'T see through it and were completely bought in by the movie-quoting speeches earlier in the year - completely forgetting this is the same guy who took several recounts to get re-elected only a few months before.

Leo is all about Leo. It's something everyone in this country needs to realise IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭bloopy

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The problem is many DON'T see through it and were completely bought in by the movie-quoting speeches earlier in the year - completely forgetting this is the same guy who took several recounts to get re-elected only a few months before.

Leo is all about Leo. It's something everyone in this country needs to realise IMO.

The same people who bought in to the movie speeches a couple of months ago were the most vicious in calling for his head last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭C__MC

Back to restrictive movements at midnight
    Some joke of a county this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Prime Time....what a car crash. Miriam is more concerned about Varadkar's interview than the major issues at hand. Killeen, Zero Covid please at any cost. They cannot wait to peddle Lockdown, Gardaí powers...This is not the way to live with Covid. This is a way to live in fear and hysteria. No other country in Europe is doing this, we need to get real about what we are proposing if level 5 is on the table. Economic and social catastrophe, plus not enough money to fund our Health service through a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭C__MC

Prime Time....what a car crash. Miriam is more concerned about Varadkar's interview than the major issues at hand. Killeen, Zero Covid please at any cost. They cannot wait to peddle Lockdown, Gardaí powers...This is not the way to live with Covid. This is a way to live in fear and hysteria. No other country in Europe is doing this, we need to get real about what we are proposing if level 5 is on the table. Economic and social catastrophe, plus not enough money to fund our Health service through a pandemic.

The government and nphet couldn't run a bath
    Laughing stock of europe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Some people have basic dislike for Leo and/or FG from before the Covid period, and no matter how many good things he does now people will put it down to spin/pr etc.

He was superb in putting NPHET in their place last night, showing the type of authority many of us have been asking for for months. All reports from the meeting between government and NPHET yesterday report him to have spoken the most and with the strongest views against level 5. So it's not just spin.

He was the one that put the progressive reopening in place. When FF railed back against this, he was the one who called out that we were the only nation in Europe without pubs open and set the groundwork to get them open.

I've been no fan of his in the past but in an age of complete buffoonery from FF in government, and needless whataboutery from SF over every tiny thing (Mary Lou coming out against level 5 but then SF criticising government for ignoring NPHET the latest example), Leo has been the sole figure of sanity. People need to judge on actions in the here and now, at least until this crisis is over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

MOC needs to be brought down a peg or 300...

Another out of touch media "personality" stuck in the Montrose bubble and being paid €9,000 per week!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Some people have basic dislike for Leo and/or FG from before the Covid period, and no matter how many good things he does now people will put it down to spin/pr etc.

He was superb in putting NPHET in their place last night, showing the type of authority many of us have been asking for for months. All reports from the meeting between government and NPHET yesterday report him to have spoken the most and with the strongest views against level 5. So it's not just spin.

He was the one that put the progressive reopening in place. When FF railed back against this, he was the one who called out that we were the only nation in Europe without pubs open and set the groundwork to get them open.

I've been no fan of his in the past but in an age of complete buffoonery from FF in government, and needless whataboutery from SF over every tiny thing (Mary Lou coming out against level 5 but then SF criticising government for ignoring NPHET the latest example), Leo has been the sole figure of sanity. People need to judge on actions in the here and now, at least until this crises is over

The easy route for Leo last night was to cuddle in to Tony.

Most of the country is happy to hit level 5 apart from private sector non multinational workers

At the very least he called Tony to heel, lets see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Shouldnt this thread be called "Tightening of Restrictions".......sure we will be at level 5 in a few weeks....

"Circuit break" brigade!!!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭uli84

58 deaths in Poland today and weddings of 100 people are allowed,1 death in here -25 people are allowed and to make people’s life harder

HEALTH MINISTER STEPHEN Donnelly has said that couples who were due to get married this week will not receive any grace period to amend their plans

Miserable f*cks, It’s astounding how much crap can people in this country accept/tolerate really

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Another out of touch media "personality" stuck in the Montrose bubble and being paid €9,000 per week!

the state of them fillers in her face too, the vanity is more of a turn off than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Next 3 weeks are critical lads :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Hulk Hands wrote: »

I've been no fan of his in the past but in an age of complete buffoonery from FF in government, and needless whataboutery from SF over every tiny thing (Mary Lou coming out against level 5 but then SF criticising government for ignoring NPHET the latest example), Leo has been the sole figure of sanity. People need to judge on actions in the here and now, at least until this crisis is over

Mary Lou has came out and said she agrees with not going to Level 5 but said his attack on them was a disgrace and asked why are they ignoring NHEPT

You made a valid argument with your opinion then just had to get a dig (lie) in at Sinn Féin, it's laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Tenzor07 wrote: »

That reminds me. Must pay my tv licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

auspicious wrote: »
    That reminds me. Must pay my tv licence.

Please do, poor Miriam has 8 hungry children to feed, that's little over €1,000 per child a week to keep them in food and fed... please pay urgently!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Mary Lou has came out and said she agrees with not going to Level 5 but said his attack on them was a disgrace and asked why are they ignoring NHEPT

You made a valid argument with your opinion then just had to get a dig (lie) in at Sinn Féin, it's laughable

Have you watched the SF rethoric over the past 24 hours? If they're in favour with the decision then why this reaction? Dya watch Cullinane in particular last night on CB or tonight on Virgin media? Perhaps ML needs to control what he says a bit more if it goes against the official line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Varadkar is still the Teesh to me, can't help thinking that. Even though I know he is not.

MM just does not have the Gravitas at all. But he doesn't care no more. He is FF Teesh. Useless Altar Boy. I doubt he cares once he was elected FF TS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

uli84 wrote: »
    58 deaths in Poland today and weddings of 100 people are allowed,1 death in here -25 people are allowed and to make people’s life harder

HEALTH MINISTER STEPHEN Donnelly has said that couples who were due to get married this week will not receive any grace period to amend their plans

Miserable f*cks, It’s astounding how much crap can people in this country accept/tolerate really

Just disgraceful.

:mad:

I am still fuming they went to level 3 as a "compromise" with NPHET. Spineless.

UCD and NUIG to stay teaching online until after Christmas
    Universities move online until Christmas to give students certainty on what to expect

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/ucd-and-nuig-to-stay-teaching-online-until-after-christmas-1.4373944

To give certainty on what to expect. 0 college experience. Stay at home hermit lifestyle. Lol College campus will be as famous as a bloody DVD 6 months from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Just disgraceful.

:mad:

I am still fuming they went to level 3 as a "compromise" with NPHET. Spineless.

UCD and NUIG to stay teaching online until after Christmas
    Universities move online until Christmas to give students certainty on what to expect

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/ucd-and-nuig-to-stay-teaching-online-until-after-christmas-1.4373944

To give certainty on what to expect. 0 college experience. Stay at home hermit lifestyle. Lol College campus will be as famous as a bloody DVD 6 months from now.

The population of Poland is approximately 38 million so I think their Covid numbers can't be compared to our little island.

No other country in Europe is doing this

I know. Some of them have harsher restrictions.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

IrishHomer wrote: »
    The population of Poland is approximately 38 million so I think their Covid numbers can't be compared to our little island.

I really dont follow.

The equivalent in Ireland is about 7-8 death's, not seen here in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Penfailed wrote: »

Children in national schools in Czech Republic not allowed to sing so a Czech woman told me today.

Penfailed wrote: »

Come on Pen, your the only outier on here, you need a stronger argument

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Earlier on this thread a poster said that hotels could only cater for 'essential guests' and not 'tourist guests'.

Can anyone verify please if you can stay in a hotel in your home county? the information I am hearing on this is totally conflicting as I found this online earlier:

Hotels and retail

Hotels and accommodation will be open but services limited to residents.

uli84 wrote: »

A lot of my work is in weddings which was slowly showing signs of life once again over late August and September. Today was a day of cancellations for the next 3 weeks of course.

Sucks for me, yeah, but good luck to any couples committing to having their wedding in Ireland for the next 9 months minimum. It's just way too uncertain a time and your plans could be drastically changed at the drop of a hat as we've seen.

There are some couples who have been put well through the mill by now. Many on their 2nd postponements after originally postponing from March until later in the year. "Oh boohoo, it's only a wedding"...It's a ball of stress is what it is, and not good at all for one's mental health.

• Advertisement

Come on Pen, your the only outier on here, you need a stronger argument

It hasn't stopped you. Your You're not one for the strong arguments yourself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement