Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VI - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

I think the air travel sector is simply too big to not bounce back. People are chomping at the bit to get abroad ASAP and if fares increase too much, airlines will only shoot themselves in the foot. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part

While airlines depend on people going on 2 week holidays in Spain and stags and hens in Prague or the football trips on a Saturday ,its not their bread and butter

Its the business traveller who does one or two day return trips 3 or 4 times a month that make them their profit
    I have done a few trips to Holland and Germany for supposedly training purposes and I was amazed at the numbers in Dublin airport at 6.30 am
    Look at the number of daily flights to london,all business trips
    That's where the money is

kippy wrote: »
    If there are people in this country who think this won't have a financial implication for them at some point, I'd be very surprised.

The civil service looked after themselves the last time with the pre 2011 staff protections
    It will be the same this time
    Its those of us with Private jobs who will take the hit
    If you have property ,a pension or savings i would be very worried (I have all 3 )
    VAT rates on Luxury items will soar
    What is deemed to be a luxury will be interesting
    Someone has to pay and the ECB will turn off the QE if its being used for UB and not investment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I think the air travel sector is simply too big to not bounce back. People are chomping at the bit to get abroad ASAP and if fares increase too much, airlines will only shoot themselves in the foot. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part

Already booked our hols for next year.

Regarding business travel, alot of the travel is not needed, so good for the climate if they are cut back

brisan wrote: »
    The civil service looked after themselves the last time with the pre 2011 staff protections
    It will be the same this time
    Its those of us with Private jobs who will take the hit
    If you have property ,a pension or savings i would be very worried (I have all 3 )
    VAT rates on Luxury items will soar
    What is deemed to be a luxury will be interesting
    Someone has to pay and the ECB will turn off the QE if its being used for UB and not investment

I be more worried for renters, than people with properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Mad.

Tony H going to late late in level 5.

Then yesterday giving out about people still going to work to earn living. plebs.

2020 is truly the year of idiots and liars. and double standards...

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Nphet want to see the numbers going down ...YET IN IRELAND ...

First story ... A family of around 50 travel from Dublin airport to Spain, and are allowed to drink alcohol, in Dublin airport without social distancing or wear masks.
    They continue to drink on board flight and I'm sure will do whatever they want on return .

Second story ... Hse are taking over running of a nursing home where positive covid patients have been mixing with non covid residents .

And we have have professors on the media daily saying we should get the virus down to zero 😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅

• Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The fearmongers in chief. The people who've spent the last 9 months broadcasting fear and hysteria 24/7.

Pull back the curtain and they're not even buying the sh;te they're selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

If there are people in this country who think this won't have a financial implication for them at some point, I'd be very surprised.

If? A quick scan through any of these threads you’ll find plenty in economic cloud cuckooo land

Nphet want to see the numbers going down ...YET IN IRELAND ...

First story ... A family of around 50 travel from Dublin airport to Spain, and are allowed to drink alcohol, in Dublin airport without social distancing or wear masks.
    They continue to drink on board flight and I'm sure will do whatever they want on return .

Second story ... Hse are taking over running of a nursing home where positive covid patients have been mixing with non covid residents .

And we have have professors on the media daily saying we should get the virus down to zero 😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅

Fair fcuks to them. Living their lives. I only wish I could join them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/stalled-progress-suggests-varadkar-was-right-in-claire-byrne-interview-1.4413826?mode=amp
    Stalled progress suggests Varadker was right in Claire Byrne interview

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/stephen-collins-government-must-assert-its-authority-over-nphet-1.4413793?mode=amp
    Government must assert its authority over NPHET

Some good pieces to read on a Friday morning. What is also promising is that most of the comments and highest likes are for comments which are against NPHET. Let's hope this continues and we accept Level 3 as the worst level to go to until the vulnerable get their vaccine / summer tourist season kicks off (whichever is sooner).

I be more worried for renters, than people with properties.

Why ?
    2938 properties for rent in Dublin today ,many of them multiple lets
    That compares to about 900 in January this year
    WFH will ease the pressure on rental properties in Dublin
    When I said I had property I meant a family home
    Property tax will rise to make up a shortfall in commercial rates

• Registered Users Posts: 18,527 ✭✭✭✭kippy

road_high wrote: »
    If? A quick scan through any of these threads you’ll find plenty in economic cloud cuckooo land

I didn't say there wouldnt be a battle to maintain current standards but deep down people know where they stand.

You'd be happier for the weak to die anyway, is your economic policy similiar?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Why ?

Yes agree. In fact renters may do okay out of this, can see rent cap/freeze coming in some shape or form. Depending on tax take from private landlords versus companies, a figure I don’t know, there are ways to offset reduction in tax revenue from private lets by increasing tax liability from property conglomerates.

Property tax most definitely increasing.

I didn't say there wouldnt be a battle to maintain current standards but deep down people know where they stand.

You'd be happier for the weak to die anyway, is your economic policy similiar?

Same as ever- slam that emotional guilt button based on your “feelings” rather than listening to anything else people may have said. I guess that helps with the moral superiority up there on the high ground

• Registered Users Posts: 18,527 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Same as ever- slam that emotional guilt button based on your “feelings” rather than listening to anything else people may have said. I guess that helps with the moral superiority up there on the high ground

You've stated earlier in this (or maybe another thread) what your feelings are on how covid should be tackled, I just wonder if your thoughts on the poor are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

At least it's nice to see Paul Reid acknowledge that he and the HSE are Covidiots

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1329697020874022912

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Already booked our hols for next year.

Regarding business travel, alot of the travel is not needed, so good for the climate if they are cut back

Enjoy the low prices for the short term as businesses struggling will vie for your custom. One the dust settles we will all be paying more for flights and accommodation, attractions and activities, dining out and the obligatory pre-holiday groom.

Why ?

You are forgetting, pushing up property tax will reduce the property cost and with working remotely, Dublin house prices are falling or stalling.
    So pushing the tax up by 2% won't generate much.

So when this is all over and if they push property tax up, people will sell their accommodation that was for renting out. Then in 2-3 years, another boom will happen, there be less properties to rent and cost too much to buy one.

You seem to forget 20008 - 2012!!!

The government had one policy that is to pretend to reduce rent in Dublin. Instead all they did was force landlords out of the market and hence we found ourselves in a bad position the last few years.

History will repeat itself. Add the nursing home problem on top of that and you have vacant properties where no property tax will be paid on.

You've stated earlier in this (or maybe another thread) what your feelings are on how covid should be tackled, I just wonder if your thoughts on the poor are the same.

The poor the very ones bearing the absolute brunt of the mindless hysteria - very sad how they’ve been dumped on by the Coveratti but certainly no surprise to me. Cushioned moralisers are just that when it doesn’t effect their pockets

• Advertisement

Enjoy the low prices for the short term as businesses struggling will vie for your custom. One the dust settles we will all be paying more for flights and accommodation, attractions and activities, dining out and the obligatory pre-holiday groom.

Not much difference in the cost for next year. Flights came in around 50 euro cheaper for the 4 of us combined and included a covid clause which was good.

Campsites don't need to reduce their costs, they did well in France last year and they the regulars will come back this year than missed last year.

You are forgetting, pushing up property tax will reduce the property cost and with working remotely, Dublin house prices are falling or stalling.
    So pushing the tax up by 2% won't generate much.

So when this is all over and if they push property tax up, people will sell their accommodation that was for renting out. Then in 2-3 years, another boom will happen, there be less properties to rent and cost too much to buy one.

You seem to forget 20008 - 2012!!!

The government had one policy that is to pretend to reduce rent in Dublin. Instead all they did was force landlords out of the market and hence we found ourselves in a bad position the last few years.

History will repeat itself. Add the nursing home problem on top of that and you have vacant properties where no property tax will be paid on.

More supply will reduce price
    Its happening in the rental market at the moment and if landlords exit in even larger numbers either other landlords will buy or the properties will come on the open market and prices will drop or at least stall

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

The poor the very ones bearing the absolute brunt of the mindless hysteria - very sad how they’ve been dumped on by the Coveratti but certainly no surprise to me. Cushioned moralisers are just that when it doesn’t effect their pockets

Watch now when the public sector gets hit and all the moral crusaders will transform into Genghis Khan at the drop of a hat.

Right now, the country is suffering way less than the last crash. I remember that christmas, people couldn't afford toys etc and we did a big appeal to help the families. No call for it now.

More supply will reduce price
    Its happening in the rental market at the moment and if landlords exit in even larger numbers either other landlords will buy or the properties will come on the open market and prices will drop or at least stall

Yes now it will happen, but landlords will drop out once no profit like they did before. So in 2 years you be back to where we were before covid.

Stop thinking short term and look at the bigger picture. Now doesn't matter in the rental market as its short term

Right now, the country is suffering way less than the last crash. I remember that christmas, people couldn't afford toys etc and we did a big appeal to help the families. No call for it now.

You do realise the economy is on life support at the moment
    It was not on life support during the last crash
    You do realise that dont you ???

Thank god- I’m very glad there’s an ok PUP etc but how long can it last? It’s not so much the present that scares me it’s what’s down the tracks. If lending rates rise we are in big big trouble here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

thats because of the pup payments when they go thats the problem,the amount of people going for walks during the day when they should be at work is huge -they have lost their job will lose the pup then the appeals will start

Yes now it will happen, but landlords will drop out once no profit like they did before. So in 2 years you be back to where we were before covid.

Stop thinking short term and look at the bigger picture. Now doesn't matter in the rental market as its short term

i honestly do not think you have any idea how the Irish property works or will work in the future
    Landlords that drop out will be replaced
    Who buys the properties they sell
    Either other landlords or people who were renting ,thus reducing the renting pool

• Advertisement

You do realise the economy is on life support at the moment
    It was not on life support during the last crash
    You do realise that dont you ???

It was dead in the last crash. Right now its not dead, how much has it shrank so far? Link ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement