Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VI - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

RobitTV wrote: »
    Verona Murphy is the only person on Prime Time with the ability to see sense, when so many others see only hysteria.

She’s worked her way up from very little. Knows how hard it is. Didn’t have a cushioned public sector, academic or medical bureaucrat existence. Is in tune with small business in rural Wexford/Ireland. That is the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭prunudo

funnydoggy wrote: »

He won't be happy till everyone is locked up in their homes. Does he not realise people are avoiding public transport so the traffic is heavier. People aren't car pooling so traffic is heavier. Schools, construction, manufacturing and a good portion of retail is open so traffic is heavy.
    Maybe he should do his briefings from his own house and lead by example rather than telling people they're bad citizens for not working from home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

Penfailed wrote: »
    ...because their advice is correct? Is that what you're saying?

Not at all. It's a simple fact that a highly contagious respiratory illness will always spread. Lockdown is nothing but a sledgehammer it works to a degree but causes a ****load of collateral damage. NPHET aren't using any nuance, planning or taking any chances. Just taking the lazy option

• Registered Users Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

walus wrote: »
    You are right, in theory. In practice the government have abdicated their decision making duties on this to nphet and they happily accepted that. Politicians are spineless these days, either avoid making decisions or keep turning whichever way the wind is blowing. If you leave a void rest assured that someone will fill it.

Make no mistake nphet and Dr, Tony are well aware of the impact their decisions have. They even get air time ffs. Effectively, it is nphet calling the shots on ‘living with COVID’ policy. Period.

I have yet to hear NPHET announcing a decision they have made on restrictions or lockdown. Governments listen to advice, but when it comes to making decisions that is solely their prerogative.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Not at all. It's a simple fact that a highly contagious respiratory illness will always spread. Lockdown is nothing but a sledgehammer it works to a degree but causes a ****load of collateral damage. NPHET aren't using any nuance, planning or taking any chances. Just taking the lazy option

Gas thing is that after all these lockdowns- cases are actually rising as I always thought they would = lockdown is a very expensive folly but the sensible amongst us could see that 8 months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Penfailed

So, if the government go against their advice, how do they come out poorer?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

charlie14 wrote: »
    I have yet to hear NPHET announcing a decision they have made on restrictions or lockdown. Governments listen to advice, but when it comes to making decisions that is solely their prerogative.

And yet members of the Government only 2 days ago found it necessary to remind Tony that they, not he, will be making the decisions on how we exit lockdown and next steps.

They also felt it necessary to express their unhappiness about NPHET using the media to influence/pressure the Government on these decisions

Penfailed wrote: »
    So, if the government go against their advice, how do they come out poorer?

Look at what happened to varadker. He openly spoke against NPHET deciding to go from level 2 to 5 in the space of a few days and when cases increased he was gutted by the press and the public for it. NPHET can dish up any crap at this point and can make it difficult for the government to say no to them. It's a form of soft power if that's the correct term

• Registered Users Posts: 18,527 ✭✭✭✭kippy

road_high wrote: »
    Gas thing is that after all these lockdowns- cases are actually rising as I always thought they would = lockdown is a very expensive folly but the sensible amongst us could see that 8 months ago.

How do you reckon things would be without restrictions?
    Genius stuff on this thread from multiple sources on a daily basis.

You understand how this virus spreads, yeah?

kippy wrote: »

Is there any way you can make your argument without going full on 'guy on the internet' please?

• Advertisement

Is there any way you can make your argument without going full on 'guy on the internet' please?

Sorry, I don't get the reference. I am either too young or too old.

of course we do and in spanish Flu they closed all venues, schools, social, entertainment, etc and m asks (the most elaborate you'll ever see) were mandatory..it did feck all.. some might actually believe this to be a red queen hypothesis for all we know in which case, like an actual run of tsunami tidal waves, we are insignificant and must let it run it's course.. the weak swimmers will die and the strong will move on, harsh but true..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Saw South Australia has gone into a 6 day lockdown because of 36 cases. This tweet is truly dystopian.

[url]

Australia has lost the plot.

Saw South Australia has gone into a 6 day lockdown because of 36 cases. This tweet is truly dystopian.

[url]

ah sure dont mind them, they were shooting afghan farmers for troop initiation a while back and they have to answer for it now..a one time prison colony is all they are.

rusty cole wrote: »
    of course we do and in spanish Flu they closed all venues, schools, social, entertainment, etc and m asks (the most elaborate you'll ever see) were mandatory..it did feck all.. some might actually believe this to be a red queen hypothesis for all we know in which case, like an actual run of tsunami tidal waves, we are insignificant and must let it run it's course.. the weak swimmers will die and the strong will move on, harsh but true..

Well, at least we are getting somewhere now. This is ultimately what you think:
    'Let it run its course, the weak swimmers will die and the strong will move on,harshbut true.'

It's not surprising, and I'm glad youve admitted it there in black and white.

[url]

I bet that woman's husband is thrilled at the prospect of spending weeks locked up with her. Hope he's stocked up on the Foster's.

ah sure dont mind them, they were shooting afghan farmers for troop intitiation a while back and they have to answer for it now..a one time prison colony is all they are.

Brilliant, the brave boys in the Australian police department get to harass more pregnant women. Brave brave men. Australia's returned to it's original function. Penal colony.

Well, at least we are getting somewhere now. This is ultimately what you think:
    'Let it run its course, the weak swimmers will die and the strong will move on,harshbut true.'

It's not surprising, and I'm glad youve admitted it there in black and white.

relax there skippy, you're not Gregory peck! and this is not the deep south. Grandstanding on a web forum does not a solicitor make!
    what I believe and what you interpret is completely a reflection of what's going on in your mind and not what's goin on in my view.

they say you have two ears and one mouth, so you should listed twice as much as you speak, to that ratio, you should subscribe..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Look at what happened to varadker. He openly spoke against NPHET deciding to go from level 2 to 5 in the space of a few days and when cases increased he was gutted by the press and the public for it. NPHET can dish up any crap at this point and can make it difficult for the government to say no to them. It's a form of soft power if that's the correct term

Yep. The Govt is the Wizard of Oz. Holohan and NPhet are the Man behind the curtain that we're told to not pay attention too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Yep. The Govt is the Wizard of Oz. Holohan and NPhet are the Man behind the curtain that we're told to not pay attention too.

Wizard of Oz?

More like the muppet show!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Another Hospital Outbreak.
    More than 20 people with Covid in hospital who didn’t have it before they went to Hospital.
    This adds to our ever growing number in hospital with Covid. If it wasn’t for these outbreaks we’d have single figure in hospital with Covid.

It was Probably caused by the average person going to work according to Herr Holohan

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/south-dublin-hospital-reports-covid-19-outbreak-as-more-than-20-patients-test-positive-1.4414171

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Another Hospital Outbreak.
    More than 20 people with Covid in hospital who didn’t have it before they went to Hospital.

Surely an outbreak in a hospital falls under the remit of the CMO?

If I ****ed up that badly in work Id be sacked on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

[url]

They found some new virus there

24hrs incubation period, none too little symptoms.

Common cold also has a 24 hour incubation period, little symptoms and it's a coronavirus

Stranger things have happened :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Hellrazer wrote: »

It's infuriating

Our CMO Tony and HSE CEO Ryan will be tweeting tomorrow that roads are very busy :rolleyes:

Won't be a word on this and the 12,000 health care workers that been infected by Covid

Thierry12 wrote: »
    It's infuriating

Our CMO Tony and HSE CEO Ryan will be tweeting tomorrow that roads are very busy :rolleyes:

Won't be a word on this and the 12,000 health care workers that been infected by Covid

I agree - I think Tony has papal infallibility.

Its so frustrating. Everyone except him is wrong. Its the pubs fault,its the retailers fault,its sports fault,its the schools fault (kids being super spreaders earlier this year and now theyre not)

He needs to be taken down a peg or two.

relax there skippy, you're not Gregory peck! and this is not the deep south. Grandstanding on a web forum does not a solicitor make!
    what I believe and what you interpret is completely a reflection of what's going on in your mind and not what's goin on in my view.

they say you have two ears and one mouth, so you should listed twice as much as you speak, to that ratio, you should subscribe..

Comical stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭VG31

[url]

That is actually insane. You might expect it from China but not a "western" democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Hellrazer wrote: »

About the 6th or 7th one this week.

The major cause of our numbers not dropping is literally the hospitals. Clowns of NPHET were today blaming it on an increased number of contacts of the infected.

How many close contacts do health care workers have? A lot more than the average Joe, I wonder is there any correlation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

I bet that woman's husband is thrilled at the prospect of spending weeks locked up with her. Hope he's stocked up on the Foster's.

He doesn't have to. You're not allowed out to exercise or walk the dog but a run to the offy for a few cans is fine because reasons :pac:

• Advertisement

46 Long wrote: »
    He doesn't have to. You're not allowed out to exercise or walk the dog but a run to the offy for a few cans is fine because reasons :pac:

Well at least the Aussies have their priorities straight

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement