Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Can people please please stop suggesting Buckley at midfield. Its never worked. Ever. He's a half back, leave him there

Agree 100% would love to see Deegan playing midfield. I think he has all the attributes to play there and his work rate is never in question. Also think he could cause problems for a half back line by running at them from midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

A lesson for us all after our win on Saturday and lifting Bob. None of us know the current form of the players in training. We have some idea now after watching them against Galway. Judging players on past performances might not be wise. Maybe have faith in the management team and will on whoever is picked in the rest of the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Do we think Deegan will get his place back?

I wouldn't change anybody 1 to 9

Keoghan probably did enough to keep his place too so Iif Billy Ryan is back for semi final, I think Walter should be the one to lose out..

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mullinr2

It's great to have Bob ó Keeffe back on the Noreside. However, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Galway created far too many scoring chances that a more clinical team like Tipp would have taken . Those two goal chances would have been buried by the likes of Callahan, Forde, Morris, McGrath, Maher.
    I would have us joint 4th favourites along with Clare and Waterford to win All Ireland

mullinr2 wrote: »
    It's great to have Bob ó Keeffe back on the Noreside. However, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Galway created far too many scoring chances that a more clinical team like Tipp would have taken . Those two goal chances would have been buried by the likes of Callahan, Forde, Morris, McGrath, Maher.
    I would have us joint 4th favourites along with Clare and Waterford to win All Ireland

I agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Grats wrote: »
    A lesson for us all after our win on Saturday and lifting Bob. None of us know the current form of the players in training. We have some idea now after watching them against Galway. Judging players on past performances might not be wise. Maybe have faith in the management team and will on whoever is picked in the rest of the championship.

I think it's more a case of judging them on club performance(this year) as the league feels like a decade ago and we had a feast of quality club hurling. Easy trap for fans to fall into. Especially this year.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

mullinr2 wrote: »

Yes. If you looked at Kilkenny's performance for the first 55 minutes, you would say that Kilkenny were making a tame exit from the Championship, I think at that stage we had scored 5 points from play. You couldn't fault the effort but we looked to be a limited side. In fairness, the players kept at it and got over the line but I don't think that Cody or the players will be losing the run of themselves. Hopefully Billy Ryan will be back, Richie's Hogan's confidence will soar and Colin Fennelly will have better luck. Afraid Wally will have to drop to the subs bench as he has been struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Galway fouled a lot saturday night a good free taker like TJ kept us in touch with long range frees Galway never closed out that game Canning would have buried that 21 a couple of years ago and our backs were great you have to wonder would Lawlor be better out on the half back line may be i am wrong.We needed that win the other night hopefully we can give a good account of ourselves the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Terrific win but we cannot get carried away
    We were lucky to be only a point down at HT and no question but we were out played in first 20 mins of 2nd half

Think for me that means we cannot start the same 15
    Hugh Lawlor looks a born CB and Conor Delaney a born FB
    But doubt Cody will take such a step for an AI Semi

I don't believe 1-9 did enough to be re-start en masse.
    We clung on at times but no better than that

Buckley was ok but he often needs a 2nd snap at the ball (and the nasty snick he got was a result of not getting immediate control of sliotar inviting Whelan to have a snap at it). I also agree with poster who said he should not have come back on.
    T Walsh really grew in to game but that run straight up the middle and dispossession from the short puck out gave me a coronary
    Delaney was good and as other posters have remarked, Conor Whelan is an exceptional player and a nightmare to mark
    Fogarty did well but may have to give way to Deegan
    P Walsh was outstanding and a welcome return to his impervious best, we wont win an AI without him in that sort of form

Leahy had a fine 1st half but let's be honest, he had faded as an influence before going off injured

Cody has shown exceptional faith in last few years with Walter, but he cannot expect to start semi
    Colin has simply had too many good or really good outings the last two season to discard, we will need him to plunder a goal or two if we are to win an AI

In contention next day
    Deegan
    Richie Reid (was very smooth when he came on)
    Richie Hogan (let's stop the 20 mins and start the man, he's class if he is fit, start him and maybe bring on Billy Ryan with 15 mins to go to run the legs off opposition. Not the other way around)
    Adrian Mullen, we will probably need his class if we are to land the big one if he is ready.

As for Galway
    They are a serious team and I would say (Limerick 2019 aside) they are the best team we have chinned in the championship in at least 5 years.

i think they will probably beat Tipp and might well beat Limerick (even good versions of Limerick or Tipp never spook Galway the way Kilkenny do)

As for us, great win but unfortunately no certainty of continuity
    Was it just two bits of magic from a pair of hurling wizards (Hogan's goal might well be the best I have ever seen and against a full back who had been majestic up till that)?
    Or is it a turning point to a new age?

The fact that we finished so strong in last 10 mins (after Galway had recovered impressively from the 2 goals to lead again) with almost everyone on field thundering into it would be the most pleasing aspect of the whole 70 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Dermot Crowe in Indo

"Hogan scored with a clever flick after a defensive mix up"

Akin to saying
    "Maradona capitalized on some bad English defending with a neat finish for his second goal"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭KK36

There won't be many changes. Paddy Deegan will come in for the injured Richie Leahy. Cody is well known to show serious trust in his older players so all of Fogarty, Wally and Fennelly could start again the next day. We're in a decent spot. The lads who came on all did well plus we could have Deegan, Billy Ryan and Mullen to add to the options for the next day. The competition for places should be red hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

Dermot Crowe in Indo

"Hogan scored with a clever flick after a defensive mix up"

Akin to saying
    "Maradona capitalized on some bad English defending with a neat finish for his second goal"

Relax a bit. It was a well taken goal, with a deft bit of skill; he got lucky with the deflection off the goalie's knee. I'm sure you've seen plenty of skillful goals as good. Look at Crummy's (?) one-handed volley in the semi-final; great spur-of-the-moment improvisation.

MfMan wrote: »
    Relax a bit. It was a well taken goal, with a deft bit of skill; he got lucky with the deflection off the goalie's knee. I'm sure you've seen plenty of skillful goals as good. Look at Crummy's (?) one-handed volley in the semi-final; great spur-of-the-moment improvisation.

Deflection off the knee is valid ...but are you really comparing it w/Crummy's goal? He got some power on it but wasn't that the type of goal ANY IC forward should bury? There was a much better goal, IMO, by Laois against Clare.

I think the other thing that may be part of the reason people might be going a little over the top is that they are happy for Richie. Someone who has pretty much dedicated himself to Kilkenny hurling through good & frequent bad times. In his 30's, body beat to sh!t, sending off, poor against Dubs & I think many of us wondered if we'd see him light it up again. or at all. So that huge, post match grin after his huge influence was a really great sight for his fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    Deflection off the knee is valid ...but are you really comparing it w/Crummy's goal? He got some power on it but wasn't that the type of goal ANY IC forward should bury? There was a much better goal, IMO, by Laois against Clare.

I think the other thing that may be part of the reason people might be going a little over the top is that they are happy for Richie. Someone who has pretty much dedicated himself to Kilkenny hurling through good & frequent bad times. In his 30's, body beat to sh!t, sending off, poor against Dubs & I think many of us wondered if we'd see him light it up again. or at all. So that huge, post match grin after his huge influence was a really great sight for his fans.

All that is true. Wish he had retired last year :-(

Crummy's goal was actually quite a good one I thought. One thing to bat a ball to the net, but the power and accuracy with which he struck it was rare enough to see. Like a tennis smash, and he was holding the hurl fairly lengthy too IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,290 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

greenspurs wrote: »
    Bennetsbridge still looking for a manager, after Bennett was appointed , but then pulled out due to work pressures ?
    Who's Bennett?

Sorry missed that.

Dave Bennett - ex waterford hurler

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Sorry missed that.

Dave Bennett - ex waterford hurler

Is it a worry the amount of clubs looking outside the county for management? Just seems to be more than ever the past year or two. Is there a lack of quality young coaches/managers coming through in the county?

minty81 wrote: »
    Is it a worry the amount of clubs looking outside the county for management? Just seems to be more than ever the past year or two. Is there a lack of quality young coaches/managers coming through in the county?

"Former Kilkenny hurler Eoin Larkin is to take up senior management taking up a new role at a Carlow club.

The James Stephen’s man will take charge of Ballinkillen for next season.

The side were beaten in this years County final.

The eight time All-Ireland winner and former hurler of the year has coached at underage."

They go the other way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

minty81 wrote: »

You would wonder sometimes do club committees prefer to pay an outsider 6k or7k a year. rather than have to deal with the fallout from
    A local not working out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭kksaints

You would wonder sometimes do club committees prefer to pay an outsider 6k or7k a year. rather than have to deal with the fallout from
    A local not working out

Locals aren't necessarily free either. I know of one case in a club outside Kilkenny where a local was charging per training session.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Its probably hard to blame him if they were willing to pay someone else.

• Advertisement

kksaints wrote: »
    Locals aren't necessarily free either. I know of one case in a club outside Kilkenny where a local was charging per training session.

Shur doesnt that happen at a lot of clubs, especially with fitness coaches.
    Charge the players €2-3 per session.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭therealdonster

First time posting since the win. Thought it was a decent performance. We managed the game pretty well and never panicked. I felt that the backs were much improved from the last day. Delaney did as good a job as anyone could on Whelan whose impact on the game was minimal. I would agree with many posters on here that CD probably represents a safter option at full back. He us in my mind a more orthodox type of defender than Huw Lawlor. Thats not to disparage Lawlor and his contribution or anything. To be honest with the way the game has gone it seems to be more about getting match ups right than players taking up set positions these days. I remember Lawlor winning a free in the left corner forward position at one stage in the first half.

I felt some of the backs started poorly but got better and better as the game went on. Toomy Walsh comes to mind in that regard. Padraig was immense and is up there with his brother in terms of importance to the team at this stage. Buckley did well, particularly in the second half which is great to see as I had my doubts about his form coming into this game. Conor Browne was another who thundered into the game in the second half. He is the type of player that we need to emerge this year if we are to be serious contenders.

I was really impressed with Leahy whose workrate was excellent throughout. He will be a big loss the next day if he is out. Fogarty did ok, but faded a bit.

The forwards were a bit of a mixed bag. Walter played as bad as I have ever seen him. TJ seemed a bit off pace early on but finished well - also gave an exhibition of free taking in difficult conditions. They looked a different unit completely once Hogan was introduced and the game had opened up a bit. Perhaps this is the blueprint for the rest of the year.

Ovrerall you could see we tried mixing it up in terms of style of play but you feel that the possession based style doesn't come naturally to us. One thing you have to say in out favour is that we are the team with probably the best goal threat. We could easily have had 2 more goals which were genuine chances created through clever play.

We still have our work cut out to win an all ireland but we only have 2 teams to worry (whoever they may be) about now which is a far greater position to be in than having to play this weekend to stay alive.

Watched the second half again and paid particular attention to the period after the introduction of R Hogan. He came on around 44 minutes, Keoghan had a great chance of a goal just before the water break after which C Fennelly was taken off. Around 55 minutes Hogan scored his wonderful goal. TJ scored his great goal shortly afterwards. The movement of the forwards after the second substitution was brilliant. This movement made the passes from the backs into the forwards work brilliantly which had not been happening. Young Cody had tired and replacing him with Brassil maintained the intensity to the end.

Taking off a few of the forwards who were clearly struggling helped the backs to pick out the roving forwards. We had been too static and blocking up the channels until our second /third substitution.

A lot learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭therealdonster

First time posting since the win. Thought it was a decent performance. We managed the game pretty well and never panicked. I felt that the backs were much improved from the last day. Delaney did as good a job as anyone could on Whelan whose impact on the game was minimal. I would agree with many posters on here that CD probably represents a safter option at full back. He us in my mind a more orthodox type of defender than Huw Lawlor. Thats not to disparage Lawlor and his contribution or anything. To be honest with the way the game has gone it seems to be more about getting match ups right than players taking up set positions these days. I remember Lawlor winning a free in the left corner forward position at one stage in the first half.

I felt some of the backs started poorly but got better and better as the game went on. Toomy Walsh comes to mind in that regard. Padraig was immense and is up there with his brother in terms of importance to the team at this stage. Buckley did well, particularly in the second half which is great to see as I had my doubts about his form coming into this game. Conor Browne was another who thundered into the game in the second half. He is the type of player that we need to emerge this year if we are to be serious contenders.

I was really impressed with Leahy whose workrate was excellent throughout. He will be a big loss the next day if he is out. Fogarty did ok, but faded a bit.

The forwards were a bit of a mixed bag. Walter played as bad as I have ever seen him. TJ seemed a bit off pace early on but finished well - also gave an exhibition of free taking in difficult conditions. They looked a different unit completely once Hogan was introduced and the game had opened up a bit. Perhaps this is the blueprint for the rest of the year.

Ovrerall you could see we tried mixing it up in terms of style of play but you feel that the possession based style doesn't come naturally to us. One thing you have to say in out favour is that we are the team with probably the best goal threat. We could easily have had 2 more goals which were genuine chances created through clever play.

We still have our work cut out to win an all ireland but we only have 2 teams to worry (whoever they may be) about now which is a far greater position to be in than having to play this weekend to stay alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭brookville

I dont think we will get carried away.Its not the limerick semi final last year when all our fowards had a nearly perfect performance.Tj while he was excellent on the frees on a tricky night and finished well he was quite for a lot of it.Colin won a free or two but was very quite as was wally.We know it's going to hot up now and no trap door so we can get much more from some players.
    The subs really worked and that's a major plus.Alan murphy has done well in the two matches.I was happy to see blanchfield coming on he really needs to grab his chance now with two hands.
    Leahy looks to be under pressure and that's a pity I thought he was very industrious and covered alot of ground.
    We are creating and scoring goals.This is something we have being lacking for a few years.It was intresting we left TJ in around the square for alot of the match.
    We are tipping along nicely and places are up for grabs.Adrian mullen and billy ryan would strengthen things up and deegan would give us energy.Two weeks is a nice rest period while the opposition will be out the 3rd weekend in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

A couple of other posters mentioned this already... it looked like TJ was carrying a knock. I know he can't be unbelievable every single game, but I noticed that there were a few times when he didn't chase a Galway player who had possession as ferociously as he normally would. Maybe I'm reading too much into it

A couple of other posters mentioned this already... it looked like TJ was carrying a knock. I know he can't be unbelievable every single game, but I noticed that there were a few times when he didn't chase a Galway player who had possession as ferociously as he normally would. Maybe I'm reading too much into it

I thought that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

"Former Kilkenny hurler Eoin Larkin is to take up senior management taking up a new role at a Carlow club.

The James Stephen’s man will take charge of Ballinkillen for next season.

The side were beaten in this years County final.

The eight time All-Ireland winner and former hurler of the year has coached at underage."

They go the other way too.

Larkin was a great team player, but you wonder how he would do in team managment manner wise.

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Larkin was a great team player, but you wonder how he would do in team managment manner wise.

We'll find out soon enough.

• Advertisement

We'll find out soon enough.

Always one of my favorite players. Wish him the best!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement