Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

benji79 wrote: »
    Any chance Richie hogan has a start in him? Or is off the bench the best option from here on. Would be great for him if he’d last a full game.

He'd never last ,even till half time. He's a 20min max player these days. And I dont mean its 20mins until the red mist descends and he gets sent off for a rash challenge. I just mean he doesn't have the legs and with Ritchie his back could go at any moment. Imagine 5 mins in and he has to come off...Fantastic sub to have

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

BloodyBill wrote: »
    And I dont mean its 20mins until the red mist descends and he gets sent off for a rash challenge.

State of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Surely best ploy would be to start Hogan and bring on Billy Ryan for the last 15-20
    And maybe Mullen for the last 15-20 mins for Cody
    Wally for Donnelly (or if Colin hasn't a good day) who puts in such savage shift, must be wrecked in final 10-15

That's three forward subs most counties would kill for

Other than that expect Deegan to start for Leahy with Fogarty going to midfield but would not mind seeing Deegan going there

I'd be a bit worried about Tommy Walsh still but Joey is a terrific cover if needed

It will be a huge challenge but I am not convinced Waterford are operating at the sort of level some are fearing
    Clare beat nothing this year and were decimated with injury and defections, and then fatally for them Tony Kelly was injured early on

If Cahill can get this Warterfiord team to an AI final, let alone win it, he is a serious managerial talent.
    This is essentially the same squad as 2019 plus Dessie Hutch, but minus the Mahonys, Connors and even an injured Fives

Clare put up a great fist of it for 40 mins and even rallied a 2nd time where only a stunning one on one save stopped the 4th goal and would have left just a point in it with 10 mins
    Instead, it was out to 5 pts a few seconds later and Waterford surged in confidence from there

It reminded me of their semi win v Cork in 2017, surged for a home in the last 10 mins after a few close shaves
    But that Cork team was a good bit better than an injury-ravaged Clare of last Sat

Sure if it's a huge challenge you must think Waterford are either very good or ye are not?

This Waterford team is better than 2017. Stephen Bennett and Hutchison carry a lot more of a threat than Shane Bennett on his own. We don't have a ball winner like Brick but Kieran Bennett is putting over points you would never see from him. Mahonys ability to score freely is missed but Fagan and Prendergast pace and work rate I think are arguably more important.

The score yielded was a big concern and TJ Reid I would think will be deployed for a decent portion of the game at full on Prunty with Fennelly inter changing to give him his biggest test yet. I reckon this Kilkenny team has improved a good bit since 2017 so it should be a good contest to light up a winter evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Haha no.

With incidents like Barrett’s it would be good to see the player receive the benefit of doubt from the referee. Especially in such an important match. Also, the player Barrett hit went down very easy and needlessly overreacted. Very unfair on such an honest player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭brookville

This game is a 50-50 game.Both teams will be happy with the way the year has went and will be glad to be left standing.If you consider Waterford missing stephen bennet,2×mahonys and obviously the two high profile omissions it has being a great year.They were neck and neck with limerick down the home stretch.
    We know we will need a to hit the ground running We have being forewarned.Waterford like galway have momentum and we have freshness.We seen cavan yesterday havent played for the last number of weeks it didnt affect them.
    It's being obvious since the two challenge matches before the championship we have our danger men close to goals and we have being creating and getting goals.This has being a big plus cause this has being missing for a few years.
    Colin hasn't hit the heights yet but it's now we need these leaders to stand up.
    Fergal horan is the ref saturday night.I think he is a decent ref but he is a tipp man as is Liam cahill.I wonder will this be raised over the coming days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭brookville

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Mick kavanagh is a selector with Offaly still involved with Freshford.

I know mick fennellys first year has being very dissapointing but well done to david herity at the weekend.I heard shane Stapleton who plays with cuala singing his praises they had him for a few sessions and said he was very impressive.Eddie has obviously done well with laois
    On the club scene we do have some good lads within the county but its sometimes good to go with someone who has no affiliation to the club.Some outside managers like cheddar done well with the village it's a pity he didnt give it another year.
    I know a lot of lads are out to fatten their pocket but the club scene in kilkenny is so competitive and is attractive.3 club all irelands this year.Most of the clubs have their work done and what's obvious is some clubs getting big namesDave guiney gone to the rower.jimmy coogan is st Martin's.Liam Keoghan with tullaron.martin fogarty with comer

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Mentally tired rather than physically tired. That's where you want Richie but I know why you want to start him.

The solution to your concern about the 3 lads is you drop Wally.

Exactly. Defenders who, regardless of fitness level will have a tougher time dealing with a fresh RH in the last 20-25. It's less to do with speed(our traditional idea of speed at least) but in dealing with what some call a 'hurling brain', that instinctual knowing & doing w/out having to think. As you said, it's mental exhaustion that Richie can take advantage of better than most. Those extra fractions of a second can make a big difference against opponents like Richie. I'm mostly just hoping for consistency, that we see the Richie who came on against Galway, not the one who came on against the Dubs. Gonna be a long week waiting for Saturday!

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Eddie has stepped down as Laois manager. To be expected I suppose.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1124/1180159-brennan-steps-down-as-laois-manager/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Simo08

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1124/1180159-brennan-steps-down-as-laois-manager/

That's a big loss for laois, looked like that management team with the proper backing could have brought laois onto another level again.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Was only a matter of time after interview. Dublin job next year if davy doesn't get in first
    And milk them dry bit of milking their mind you.

• Advertisement

Was only a matter of time after interview. Dublin job next year if davy doesn't get in first
    And milk them dry bit of milking their mind you.

I think Davys 5 year plan is Wexford next year then straight into a 3 year run with Dublin and finally a 3 year draft back at Clare. Then semi retirement with consultancy work..

BloodyBill wrote: »
    I think Davys 5 year plan is Wexford next year then straight into a 3 year run with Dublin and finally a 3 year draft back at Clare. Then semi retirement with consultancy work..

More like a 7 Yr plan

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

RIP Harry Ryan deepest sympathy to Kevin all the Ryan family hopefully you are at peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

RIP Harry Ryan deepest sympathy to Kevin all the Ryan family hopefully you are at peace.

Terrible sad for a family who have been pummelled in recent years
    Great hurler

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭sportsmaddad

brookville wrote: »
    This game is a 50-50 game.Both teams will be happy with the way the year has went and will be glad to be left standing.If you consider Waterford missing stephen bennet,2×mahonys and obviously the two high profile omissions it has being a great year.They were neck and neck with limerick down the home stretch.
    I agree, I hear a lot of talk that WD playing 3rd week in a row will be their undoing. But I don't think it's that simple. They have a freshness about them, plenty of pace and good stickwork, throw in the intensity that Cahill seems to have instilled in them. And we don't need reminding of the last Championship encounter...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Grats

Cast your minds back to our first match against Dublin in which we ran out of steam in the second half. It appears that getting the fitness/stamina levels right in this championship has been challenging for teams. Matches week after week, a two week break - who knows what's best. It's an unusual year, anything goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

brookville wrote: »
    We know we will need a to hit the ground running We have being forewarned.Waterford like galway have momentum and we have freshness.We seen cavan yesterday havent played for the last number of weeks it didnt affect them.
    It's being obvious since the two challenge matches before the championship we have our danger men close to goals and we have being creating and getting goals.This has being a big plus cause this has being missing for a few years.
    Colin hasn't hit the heights yet but it's now we need these leaders to stand up.
    Fergal horan is the ref saturday night.I think he is a decent ref but he is a tipp man as is Liam cahill.I wonder will this be raised over the coming days.

Believe me, I would prefer ANY other ref in the country to Horgan.
    He has a history of terrible game changing calls, most of which go against waterford when he officiates.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ClubFirst

Another Kilkenny Legend has died today. RIP Denis Heaslip

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40055042.html?type=amp
    Rip Denis absolute gentleman
    I attached pic ok kilkenny 1963 in New York after beating Waterford in all Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Grats wrote: »
    Message to Brian Cody - get your complaint in regarding the ref for Saturday beforehand. Otherwise don't do a Sheedy on it and blame him afterwards. As a poster mentioned - Tipp ref and Tipp man managing the opposition!

Can we not do this please. Its embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I attached pic ok kilkenny 1963 in New York after beating Waterford in all Ireland.

Thanks for posting that

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Front row 3rd from left? Remember going to his shop as a young lad.. like a cross between alladins cave and dunbelievables shop.. my father always said if they didn't have it it could not be got..he always said denis was a very stylish hurler too.rip

Thats him .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Message to Brian Cody - get your complaint in regarding the ref for Saturday beforehand. Otherwise don't do a Sheedy on it and blame him afterwards. As a poster mentioned - Tipp ref and Tipp man managing the opposition!

I'm sure one of the players might have a second cousin from Tipp too ;-)

Its funny because if you were to look at the Waterford thread there is pages complaining about how the ref is always out to get Waterford. Hes not going to favour anyone and will no doubt do his best. Hes a bad ref in my opinion and will make some bad calls but let's just hope they even themselves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Lovely piece by PM and that marvelous photo with the Bronx in the background.

Sad few days for Kilkenny hurling

redlead wrote: »
    I'm sure one of the players might have a second cousin from Tipp too ;-)

Its funny because if you were to look at the Waterford thread there is pages complaining about how the ref is always out to get Waterford. Hes not going to favour anyone and will no doubt do his best. Hes a bad ref in my opinion and will make some bad calls but let's just hope they even themselves out.

In life in general Waterford feel there is always some where else out to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

Called into Heaslips a few months ago to chat with Denis. Passed the shop today and saw the ambulance.

Harry Ryan I knew in my youth and trained us for a spell. He was a gentleman.

RIP Both men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

In life in general Waterford feel there is always some where else out to get them.

Bit rich now coming from the man constantly posting about how yer lads have been wronged over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Oh I absolutely agree. My post was in jest after last weekends embarrassing comments from Sheedy after Tipp were beaten. I posted that Sheedy should have complained before the match if he thought it was going to be an issue. Mind you he wasn't on his own, Donal O'Grady and Cusack agreed with him, as did some journalists. Don't see anything from them ahead of the match this weekend.

I don't expect Cody has a problem with it.

The hypocrisy in that post is incredible after comments from last years final and the 2013 loss to cork, yere ex players know how to keep Barry Kelly in the limelight anyway. Its "criminal" some managers would say.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-20316405.html
    Bit of light reading for some of the lads on here just to jog the Memory.

• Advertisement

Bit rich now coming from the man constantly posting about how yer lads have been wronged over the years

I am talking about Waterford people the city they blame everybody else about there downfalls problems, where constantly am i posting about lads been wronged over the years. I see you got a thumbs up from a person that has the personallatiy of a corpse .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement