Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jimbob2015

greenspurs wrote: »
    Sorry missed that.

Dave Bennett - ex waterford hurler

Any truth in rumour that Dan Shannahan now going in with Bennettsbridge after Bennett withdrew?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

jimbob2015 wrote: »
    Any truth in rumour that Dan Shannahan now going in with Bennettsbridge after Bennett withdrew?

I have heard he is.

New management in Gowran too.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    You win some and you lose some. Kk got away with plenty in the 00's. The last few years not so much. Swings and roundabouts

A bit rich coming from Meath , even the goal against louth was scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Any chance Richie hogan has a start in him? Or is off the bench the best option from here on. Would be great for him if he’d last a full game.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭davidx40

Declan Wall taking over Glenmore .....a top quality coach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

greenspurs wrote: »
    I have heard he is.

New management in Gowran too.

Can’t understand how ex wateford hurlers can get coaching / management appointments with Kk clubs.....is there a serious lack of interest amongst the myriad of ex all Ireland medal laden county stars around the county.....find it hard to understand what an ex wateford or any other ex county hurler could bring to a Kk club....?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

benji79 wrote: »
    Any chance Richie hogan has a start in him? Or is off the bench the best option from here on. Would be great for him if he’d last a full game.

Be great for us fans too ;-) Especially if he is playing like last week or the absolute stormer he had this summer w/Danesfort. got almost the full 60 minutes from him that day before going off with an injury. I just can't see it. maybe the final but I think his value is coming off the bench. old-ish & injury prone he can still be a little magician out there & he's so elusive fresh legs struggle but bringing him on when legs are tiring is a nightmare for the best defender. I'll leave up to BC

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Fresh ideas from outside the county is a good thing. While I'd never want a county manager from outside Kilkenny I have no issue with clubs going outside to give players a look at something other than the same merry go round. A lot of the players who are laden with county medals are involved in county teams or have only just finished up

DJ / Gorta / Lyng / Rice all with KK senior and U20 set ups
    Eddie - Laois
    Herity - Kildare
    Fennelly - Offaly
    Henry - Thomastown

How many others are there?

JJ and Tommy still playing and don't seem to want to go into management

Brian Hogan?
    Mick Kavanagh?

Missing anyone obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Great weekend of GAA action. You would have to feel sorry for the Tipp hurlers, Sheedy & Barrett but sometimes these things happen. There is no point looking for excuses. At least the Tipp footballers are bringing some silverware back to the Premier county this year. Well done Cavan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭dk1982

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Can’t understand how ex wateford hurlers can get coaching / management appointments with Kk clubs.....is there a serious lack of interest amongst the myriad of ex all Ireland medal laden county stars around the county.....find it hard to understand what an ex wateford or any other ex county hurler could bring to a Kk club....?

Cant for the life of me understand why people think Kilkenny hurling people are arrogant :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    Be great for us fans too ;-) Especially if he is playing like last week or the absolute stormer he had this summer w/Danesfort. got almost the full 60 minutes from him that day before going off with an injury. I just can't see it. maybe the final but I think his value is coming off the bench. old-ish & injury prone he can still be a little magician out there & he's so elusive fresh legs struggle but bringing him on when legs are tiring is a nightmare for the best defender. I'll leave up to BC

It will be a tough team to pick.he could start. hogan ryan Mullen deegen
    Or go with who started the lastday.Looking at Waterford they didn't handle long deliveries well and clare put up a fair score considering they were probably missing 4 starting forwards .i can see them coinciding goals against us .

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

It will be a tough team to pick.he could start. hogan ryan Mullen deegen
    Or go with who started the lastday.Looking at Waterford they didn't handle long deliveries well and clare put up a fair score considering they were probably missing 4 starting forwards .i can see them coinciding goals against us .

Absolutely. Glad all I have to do is put my butt on the couch and enjoy. Waterford are definitely a different animal this year. Looking forward to a real battle.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Grats

SteJer wrote: »
    Great weekend of GAA action. You would have to feel sorry for the Tipp hurlers, Sheedy & Barrett but sometimes these things happen. There is no point looking for excuses. At least the Tipp footballers are bringing some silverware back to the Premier county this year. Well done Cavan too.

Yes, fantastic hurling and football action. I'm sure Tipp supporters will get some comfort from the footballers win after the hurlers quest for two in a row fell asunder once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭robwen

dk1982 wrote: »
    Cant for the life of me understand why people think Kilkenny hurling people are arrogant :confused:

A ridiculous post alright but is the author of it even from Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

robwen wrote: »
    A ridiculous post alright but is the author of it even from Kilkenny?

Doesn't matter. Just another excuse to stick the boot in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Grats wrote: »
    I don't blame you for turning to this thread rather than watch Dublin destroy the Royal County.

I've been to far more hurling matches in croker the last 5 years. Something that was unthinkable since. Almost fully converted now.

I go to every leinster final and all Ireland semi final. Great spectacle these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

SteJer wrote: »
    You would have to feel sorry for...Barrett

Haha no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭brookville

On the face of it cody has the squad where he wants it.Billy and deegan will be pushing hard.Joey will be pushing in defence.Paul murphy hasn't seen a minute yet and is well down the pecking order.We needed fresh faces especially in defence.
    We finished well the last day but we must not forget in the first half tjs frees kept us in it.Padraig came up and got a point.Eoin cody won a few frees when another day these could go against you.Richie changed that match with his movement and vision.I would probably start him saturday.
    Jamie barron as we know has a huge engine and is involved in alot of what's good.We will probably have browne on him and try reduce his impact.
    Waterford play similar to limerick.Huge workrate out around the middle and plenty of movement from their fowards and they will try feed dessie as much as they can.It will be intresting to see what way we set up and the match ups.
    We have a decent squad now and the subs have worked in the two matches,lads like alan murphy who might not be rated he has done very well.mossy isnt the most stylish but his direct running and hard work caused galway trouble.He was very unlucky with the goal effort.
    hopefully richie leahy will be fit but the talk last week was he will be under pressure.He covered huge ground the last day and this lad has huge potential if he puts his head down.

Haha no.

A tiny bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

I wouldn't start Richie to be honest.

If we start like we did last week, workrate and pressure early on. This will be Waterfords 3rd tough game in 3 weeks. Keep with them in the first half, they will tire in the second half and we will have Richie on fresh to pick the lock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Surely best ploy would be to start Hogan and bring on Billy Ryan for the last 15-20
    And maybe Mullen for the last 15-20 mins for Cody
    Wally for Donnelly (or if Colin hasn't a good day) who puts in such savage shift, must be wrecked in final 10-15

That's three forward subs most counties would kill for

Other than that expect Deegan to start for Leahy with Fogarty going to midfield but would not mind seeing Deegan going there

I'd be a bit worried about Tommy Walsh still but Joey is a terrific cover if needed

It will be a huge challenge but I am not convinced Waterford are operating at the sort of level some are fearing
    Clare beat nothing this year and were decimated with injury and defections, and then fatally for them Tony Kelly was injured early on

If Cahill can get this Warterfiord team to an AI final, let alone win it, he is a serious managerial talent.
    This is essentially the same squad as 2019 plus Dessie Hutch, but minus the Mahonys, Connors and even an injured Fives

Clare put up a great fist of it for 40 mins and even rallied a 2nd time where only a stunning one on one save stopped the 4th goal and would have left just a point in it with 10 mins
    Instead, it was out to 5 pts a few seconds later and Waterford surged in confidence from there

It reminded me of their semi win v Cork in 2017, surged for a home in the last 10 mins after a few close shaves
    But that Cork team was a good bit better than an injury-ravaged Clare of last Sat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭brookville

I wouldn't start Richie to be honest.

If we start like we did last week, workrate and pressure early on. This will be Waterfords 3rd tough game in 3 weeks. Keep with them in the first half, they will tire in the second half and we will have Richie on fresh to pick the lock.

Yea maybe but the last day everything went for richie where as against dublin nothing went right.Its not always easy settle into a game.Its a dilemma for the management.Walter will be under the most pressure to start.Eoin cody isnt shooting the lights out but he has being dangerous and this is a huge step up from club.The experience will stand to these lads.
    Need a big game from colin.

I'd much rather have Richie play 25 minutes against a tiring defence when the game is there to be won than 50 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'd much rather have Richie play 25 minutes against a tiring defence when the game is there to be won than 50 minutes

Yeah I used to be in favour of starting Richie but obviously the last day would have to change anyone's mind. I'm assuming the next day Waterford will have a plan for when he comes on so he doesn't rob them blind like he did Galway. But what if he only has 20-30 minutes in him? I don't know if hauling him off in the middle of the first half is great for morale. Setting aside the fact that, as you say, he is the kind of lad who will take advantage of tiredness. And he'll have a chance to read the game and come in knowing what he wants to take advantage of. Bit like Gorta in the 2009 final.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I think having Walter, Colin, and Mossy Keoghan all on at the same time just robs us of too much point-scoring potential and allows teams to double up on TJ, and almost guarantees against the best teams we have to out goal them
    And this is exactly how it panned out for 55 mins v Galway

Remember it was Richie's hurling brain that undid Galway rather than his energy or pace
    A hurling brain can do as much damage in the first 10 mins as the last

After 55 mins of Richie, I would not like to see a fresh speedster like Billy Ryan coming on if I was a tired marker
    Ditto, if you've been harassed and had a very serious physical challenge from Donnelly or Fennelly for 55 mins, you won't be thrilled at seeing Walter barrelling on

If Mullen and Billy Ryan are ready (and vibe seems to be they may) and Leahy is at least close
    We can have no complaints, we have a full hand and at the semi-final stage, you cant ask for any more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Mick kavanagh is a selector with Offaly still involved with Freshford.

Mentally tired rather than physically tired. That's where you want Richie but I know why you want to start him.

The solution to your concern about the 3 lads is you drop Wally.

The hot topic after the Tipp v Galway match was the referee. In the Leinster Final, other than Brian Gavin in his Examiner column, there was very little mention of the persistent fouling by Galway in the first half in particular. And not a sign of a yellow card from the ref Fergal Horgan.. Very similar to the All Ireland final. It's fine giving frees but persistent fouling needs to be dealt with as per the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think starting forwards Eoin Cody, Colin Fennelly, Billy Ryan and TJ gives us the potential to score goals, Richie Hogan too if he comes on with about 25 minutes to go. If we could bring the intensity that we brought to the Cork and Limerick games last year, it would give us a good chance. Padraig Walsh to act as the spare man if Waterford are playing a sweeper?

• Advertisement

blackcard wrote: »
    I think starting forwards Eoin Cody, Colin Fennelly, Billy Ryan and TJ gives us the potential to score goals, Richie Hogan too if he comes on with about 25 minutes to go. If we could bring the intensity that we brought to the Cork and Limerick games last year, it would give us a good chance. Padraig Walsh to act as the spare man if Waterford are playing a sweeper?

Billy Ryan doubtful starter and Colin Fennelly hasn't hit form to date. That kind of limits goal scoring opportunities.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement