Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

So it's either Clare or Waterford then for us

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

So it's either Clare or Waterford then for us
    Waterford definitely the tougher option. Hard running team.
    Think we would handle clare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭brookville

So waterford it is.Both teams would of taking this at the start of the year.
    Very impressive today.Tony kelly went over on his ankle early and failed to have much of an impact.Waterford will be delighted and will give us as plenty.Plenty of hard work and pace inside.It will be great to see dessie Hutchinson in croke park he has being excellent for ballygunner and very dangerous today scoring two and setting up the third.Liam cahill has unearthed a few really good players.They looked fresh today.
    Hopefully we will have deegan and billy ryan back and by all accounts adrian mullen is training well.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mullinr2

brookville wrote: »
    So waterford it is.Both teams would of taking this at the start of the year.
    Very impressive today.Tony kelly went over on his ankle early and failed to have much of an impact.Waterford will be delighted and will give us as plenty.Plenty of hard work and pace inside.It will be great to see dessie Hutchinson in croke park he has being excellent for ballygunner and very dangerous today scoring two and setting up the third.Liam cahill has unearthed a few really good players.They looked fresh today.
    Hopefully we will have deegan and billy ryan back and by all accounts adrian mullen is training well.

It would be great to have Adrian Mullen on the bench for next week. He was excellent up the final last year. Clearly wasnt fully fit for final.
    We will go in as favourites but Waterford are flying it at the moment. Wouldn't surprise me if they knock us out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

Tipp teams haven't done two in a row since the sixties. Barrett got sent off amazing. I not gloating here and Richie deserved the line last September but Barrett is no angel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

kk.man wrote: »
    Tipp teams haven't done two in a row since the sixties. Barrett got sent off amazing. I not gloating here and Richie deserved the line last September but Barrett is no angel.
    If Richie deserved the line why even bring it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Grats

R Hogan was split before his red card incident and no action was taken. Good riddance to the culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    If Richie deserved the line why even bring it up.

Because of what happened before it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Comerman

There is an old saying "you can't go forward if you keep looking backwards" roll on Saturday and hopefully Richie can have the last laugh in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭davidx40

Will some people ever get over Richie's red card......the ref thought it was a red end of that's all that matters .... as a life long kk supporter found reaction to this last year very un Kilkenny like .......like Comerman said move on to next week .....as a team/manager that really struggles to play against a sweeper system we'll be up against the best one in Tadgh D Burcha ...... Waterford are hugely athletic and all brilliant stick men it will be anything but easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Because of what happened before it
    You win some and you lose some. Kk got away with plenty in the 00's. The last few years not so much. Swings and roundabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Grats

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    You win some and you lose some. Kk got away with plenty in the 00's. The last few years not so much. Swings and roundabouts

I don't blame you for turning to this thread rather than watch Dublin destroy the Royal County.

Is there any moderator for this thread? Any other hurling thread are chatting about the game and the future while the nitpick bull**** and the eejits that bite take this one over. Bottom line is not many genuine supporters though Kilkenny would be in the AI semi BUT they are and have a good chance of winning it. Get behind the team and ignore the gob****es please

We have had some great battles with Waterford recently.Liam Cahill is more attacking than mcgrath.Waterford will try exploit a few of our backs with speed but while I think prunty is a top class full back Aaron Shanagher caused him trouble in the air.Tj will probably be in around here for spells.
    Few delimas for cody will he leave Delaney at 3?lawlor could be better out wing back.
    Will hogan,deegan or blanchfield start?joey is gone down the pecking line.Will billy ryan or leahy be fit?Walter could be under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 doel

davidx40 wrote: »
    Will some people ever get over Richie's red card......the ref thought it was a red end of that's all that matters .... as a life long kk supporter found reaction to this last year very un Kilkenny like .......like Comerman said move on to next week .....as a team/manager that really struggles to play against a sweeper system we'll be up against the best one in Tadgh D Burcha ...... Waterford are hugely athletic and all brilliant stick men it will be anything but easy

I would 100% agree. I think we might struggle next sat. If Waterford can match or better our workrate, it will go a long way to deciding the game. Full credit to Cahill, he has done a super job with them.
    Does anyone know if Jimmy O Shea(Carrickshock) is involved in their backroom team?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Comerman wrote: »
    Is there any moderator for this thread? Any other hurling thread are chatting about the game and the future while the nitpick bull**** and the eejits that bite take this one over. Bottom line is not many genuine supporters though Kilkenny would be in the AI semi BUT they are and have a good chance of winning it. Get behind the team and ignore the gob****es please

In fairness the main hurling championship thread has been a clusterf**k for most of the afternoon because of a debate about Joe Canning

In fairness the main hurling championship thread has been a clusterf**k for most of the afternoon because of a debate about Joe Canning

Who's better TJ or BIG Joe, fuk sake. I agree which is why we don't need it here

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Should be a good game.
    Will Deegan get back on the starting 15? Possibly if Leahy is not fit. Wally has to be benched!!
    I think we’re at an adavantage with the 2 week break, 3 weeks in a row will have to affect Waterford.

doel wrote: »
    I would 100% agree. I think we might struggle next sat. If Waterford can match or better our workrate, it will go a long way to deciding the game. Full credit to Cahill, he has done a super job with them.
    Does anyone know if Jimmy O Shea(Carrickshock) is involved in their backroom team?

As far as i know he is was involved with Cahill and bevans with tipp
    Previously. And they rate him highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Just after watching those games. I thought both games were very open in defence. If Kilkenny get goals like that Waterford will revert to a sweeper system.. which will hamper their forwards movement. Limerick will bully Galway and get the rewards of the constant fouling that Galway do when under pressure

• Advertisement

dzer2 wrote: »
    Just after watching those games. I thought both games were very open in defence. If Kilkenny get goals like that Waterford will revert to a sweeper system.. which will hamper their forwards movement. Limerick will bully Galway and get the rewards of the constant fouling that Galway do when under pressure

If bourke gets to grips with gillane.it will ask serious questions of limerick.galway have the size to match them physically and harte and bourke starting is a improvement. But you get the feeling tipp had them for the taking up to the sending off.
    Cahill doesn't really play sweepers just gets bodies back and then they come of the shoulder running hard at defenses they are fresh and will cause us problems but they conceded alot today against a clare team missing probably 4 of their starting forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

3-27 was a serious score for Waterford. Ran at the Clare defence too and had an eye for a goal. Refreshing to see them play like that after the puke Derek McGrath era.
    Playing good ball in to our forward line is going to be critical. Any Kilkenny defenders coming out with the ball need to look up for a red helmet and keep the ball away from Tadgh DeBurca.

I could see us getting goal chances too with a full forward line of Fennelly, Cody and hopefully Ryan. I would be concerned if we have a half forward line of Mossy, Wally and Donnelly. Hopefully all players are fit for consideration including Leahy, Ryan and Mullen

To me TJ wasn't fully fit the last day. if he is fully fit, I could see him setting up goal chances if he gets on the ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

dzer2 wrote: »

Why would you revert to a sweeper system after you've conceded a few goals?

Think the three weeks in a row will be tough to overcome with Kilkenny likely to match the tenacity faced in the last two games. In fairness to Clare thought they fought really valiantly but just short too many players and possibly feeling the effects of the few weeks on the trot.

Was heartening to see goals and that pitch was a lot better than Thurles was last weekend, Croke Park would be likewise. Should be another good game but I'd probably give ye the edge with the rest, and we've a problem with puckouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

davidx40 wrote: »

as a team/manager that really struggles to play against a sweeper system

You obviously didn't watch the Galway game.

citykat wrote: »
    You obviously didn't watch the Galway game.

Yea infairness we mixed it up and weren't going route one.We arent overly comfortable working the ball out and coughed up a few handy scores.The difference Is tdb is one of the best in the business.He wasnt as influential yesterday but Waterford will try overwork that middle third and force us to hit aimless ball into our attack.This will be gobbled up.
    The leinster final win will hopefully give us confidence.We know we can get more out of some players but we all know we will need a huge team performance to get the win.Both teams one game away from an all Ireland final.
    Liam cahill has made big calls and done very well he deserves huge credit.What clubs has he managed in kilkenny?was it just Carrickshock?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Entertaining Nicky Rackard competition 15 min in on Tg4's YouTube channel. Mayo playing some nice hurling. Well worth watching. Donegal starting to improve but still making some costly mistakes.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭conor05

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    Entertaining Nicky Rackard competition 15 min in on Tg4's YouTube channel. Mayo playing some nice hurling. Well worth watching. Donegal starting to improve but making a few costly mistakes.

Standard is actually quite good.

Kildare v Down in Christy ring final should be good at 4pm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

conor05 wrote: »
    Standard is actually quite good.

Kildare v Down in Christy ring final should be good at 4pm too.

I thought so too.

Also looking forward to that as well. both countries have some good hurlers.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Why would you revert to a sweeper system after you've conceded a few goals?

Think the three weeks in a row will be tough to overcome with Kilkenny likely to match the tenacity faced in the last two games. In fairness to Clare thought they fought really valiantly but just short too many players and possibly feeling the effects of the few weeks on the trot.

Was heartening to see goals and that pitch was a lot better than Thurles was last weekend, Croke Park would be likewise. Should be another good game but I'd probably give ye the edge with the rest, and we've a problem with puckouts.

Ye're not the only ones with a problem on the puckout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Village87

1984baby wrote: »
    Should be a good game.
    Will Deegan get back on the starting 15? Possibly if Leahy is not fit. Wally has to be benched!!
    I think we’re at an adavantage with the 2 week break, 3 weeks in a row will have to affect Waterford.

Surely a place for him. Leave Padraig Walsh centre back at all costs. has all the hurling in the world. Great on the ball.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement