Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castlecat

Watching kk 30 years, Hogan as good as any of them, imagine what he would have been injury free, incredibly mental toughness, I love watching him play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Delighted for Hogan a joy to watch. Thought Tommy Walsh was powerful

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Man of the Match for me was Richie Hogan... He completely changed things around when he came on.

He was very poor when he came on against Dublin and I was critical of him, but he was immense today and so clever too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Richie f*cking Hogan.

There’s my analysis.

Hogan was class.

TJ is a marvel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Well done lads ye have put a smile back on a lot of people faces on this winter night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭kksaints

Delighted with that. Some impact from Richie. Mixed the play well also.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 catseye2

thesultan wrote: »
    Delighted for Hogan a joy to watch. Thought Tommy Walsh was powerful

Well done both Tullaroan boys. Young lads to the fore plus a couple of touches from richie and tj did the biz

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Exhale! :-) Browne was physical as someone had hoped recently. Nearly knocked someone out.
    ... but Richie!! He had a brilliant club match but no silverware, and after all the injuries, last years red, I was jumping for joy for him. Wish he'd buried that 2nd but that smile after the match tells me he'll get over it.
    Nial Brassil(sp?) was good. Great pass to mossy. Thrilled

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Tommy Walsh came of age tonight. Buckley cleverness. Leahy is like a eel to hit.brazil very sharp when he came on plenty of the younger lads stepping up.plus the class of hogan and tj.plenty room for improvement
    Bob is back bring on the simi and hopefully tipp.

• Advertisement

My heart is absolutely pounding after that

Right. I often think it's masochistic. I need anxiety meds after most. Cody was amazing in the first half. Good signs.
    What'd people think of Hue Lawlor today. kept some serious talent relatively quiet but fouled quite a bit & the holding of the hurl wasn't pretty. I know it was the only thing he had left but images like that & the ? Sutcliffe(?) trip in the Dubs first match will keep the sin bin/blackcard conversion going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭kksaints

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    Right. I often think it's masochistic. I need anxiety meds after most. Cody was amazing in the first half. Good signs.
    What'd people think of Hue Lawlor today. kept some serious talent relatively quiet but fouled quite a bit & the holding of the hurl wasn't pretty. I know it was the only thing he had left but images like that & the ? Sutcliffe(?) trip in the Dubs first match will keep the sin bin/blackcard conversion going.

He was caught out a few times and Flynn destroyed him for pace for a goal chance in the second half which is a worry but he's still young, won a fair amount of ball and on the ball he's very cool and composed. I think in his position if you're beaten once or twice it looks worse than in the half back line because it's usually a goal chance.

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Well done lads ye have put a smile back on a lot of people faces on this winter night.

After the circus from hell that's still not over here in the States, it sure did. So YES! Well done and THANK YOU for the smiles. Welcome back Richie. Wasn't too sure we'd see you lighting up a championship pitch again. class

kksaints wrote: »
    He was caught out a few times and Flynn destroyed him for pace for a goal chance in the second half which is a worry but he's still young, won a fair amount of ball and on the ball he's very cool and composed. I think in his position if you're beaten once or twice it looks worse than in the half back line because it's usually a goal chance.

Yes it definitely does. Clean sheet w/the likes of Whelan, Canning, Concannon(sp?) & Flynn(was in my mind when I asked) is nothing to sneeze at. Just wondering what people thought, especially w/T. Walsh showing the form that made him stand out w/Tullaroan, a healthy C. Delaney, Buckley looking like the man of old, & Joey on the bench. Not getting ahead of myself, just that there seems to be healthy competition for spots in defense.
    Guess it's time to enjoy a good win & think about the rest tomorrow. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 doel

Thought Browne was immense. The bottle and fight he showed is a lesson for any young fella. How many times in the 1st half did he make a silly mistake after good work. But he kept going and showed an honesty which is what wearing the Kilkenny jersey is all about. Serious leadership from a young fella with a near perfect attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Comerman

Some boys became men tonight and the other men stood up, well done to all. I think Cody has silenced the naysayers once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Some hit by Blanch on Mannion as well. Nearly killed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castlecat

Hogan's goal...I still have a semi :)

Mine is starting to go down now, thank god,

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

If it happened on the road it would be cĺosed until tomorrow. Car crash
    It finished him and they looked very vulnerable without his cover for full back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

It was one of the turning points Galway stood back a bit after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

brookville wrote: »
    Watched him up along and I thought the same.He played 3 years u21 I know we struggled at that level.Cody wanted someone he could trust after the 16 final so Padraig was given the job.It looked like last year he was being set up for the position and played in a few games and done ok.He was very good in thurles against tipp but got injured for comer and lawlor by kinda accident slipped in and to be fair to him for his first year he done well.He was marking the oppositions best foward nearly every day.Hopefully he would of learned alot after last year.Huge test coming Saturday with Conor whelan.I love watching this lad he is strong as a bull.
    We will need to have our match ups right.We are going in under the radar which suited us last year against limerick and cork.I wonder will he throw tj in around full foward again?Galway had their homework done the last day.They will try curtail tj but he is just so good he will cause teams trouble.We need to try get more out of the other fowards.Hopefully we can play more of the good hurling we played in the first half the last day.Billy ryan looks very doubtful and leahy is touted to come in.Eoin cody out on the half foward line didnt work.i would of thought he is better suited nearer the goal and has a good understanding with colin.

Delany has to stay full back after to night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭kk.man

Richie's goal was as good as I seen in a long time. Great team display this will bring them on in spades.

I thought that had been CB but whomever, yah! He was obviously dazed after & not quite the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭brookville

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Delany has to stay full back after to night.

Positions didnt mean a whole tonight but I thought delaney and tommy walsh improved as the game went on.Conor browne improved and got a nice point to make up for the one he missed against dublin.
    The most positive thing tonight when the chips were down the younger lads were stepping up.Richie leahy was industrious. Mossy was trying very hard with his direct running and eoin cody was sharp.alan murphy and brassil settled in very fast.Brassil wasnt on the 26 the last day.
    Blanchfield is gone huge it was a huge hit on mannion.
    Well done to everyone tonight and thanks for the entertainment during these tough times.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭conor05

Cody would have liked that one.

Like a train hitting him

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kilkenny34

Delighted for the team and especially Hogan.Best pair of wrists since DJ.Great to win when you consider Colin and Wally being so quiet and TJ for most of the game. We have a fighting spirit which is unmatched I think.Galway can feel they threw it away but after the 2 goals they went 2 up. We got the last 4 scores,Browns point the pick of them.So proud to be from Kilkenny tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Great to be on the right side of a close Leinster final again. Terrific performance by the lads which should really push them on. The ball into the forwards was a little bit better but was still abit straight and high but at least wasnt massive high balls. Their inside forward line is very good and today they got good ball in but our backs were superb. What was best for me was the fact we went short and sometimes the younger lads got turned over but they kept trying it and they all had good games. Buckley best game I’ve seen in a while and padraig too. Browne and leahy proved a lot wrong today hopefully leahy is alright.

Credit to Cody today he made big subs taking off colin Wally and fogerty and leaving on younger lads but it was the right call and worked because those young lads stood up today. Hogan won us the game with his pure skill, thankfully his miss didnt matter much, his goal was pure class. Delighted with the performance and how we kept going and actually got over the line.

Mullen Deegan and Ryan all to come back in and if leahy is alright we’d have a very competitive squad. Brassil and murphy good off the bench too. TJ and Hogan have won us some games but a great team performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

Colin Fennelly scoreless and subbed. Ditto Wally. TJ 3 or 4 touches in the match. Galway 44 scoring chances to our 30. 2 good goal chances by KK missed. 5 points down in the last quarter. Not sure how we won that.

Galway hitting 16 wides to our 6 helped. TJ being immaculate on scorable frees too. Work rate. Doggedness. Thought ref decisions in the first half helped us but a few went against us in the second half. Galway missing their goal chances. Two moments of class by two hurlers of the year.

Still alive. Through to the last 4. Probably will be ranked fourth out of that 4. And rightly so. Wouldn't give us much of a chance against Limerick or Tipp in a semi final. Waterford or Clare might be 50/50 and you never know if you got to a final

We do not have the players we had previously. But the performances against Cork and Limerick last year and Galway today showed that we can win without having the best players

Hopefully Billy Ryan is back the next day. I would like to see Blanchfield in for Wally. Thanks for today lads

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

The most amazing substitution I ever saw... Cody took off Wally (the biggest man in Croke Park) and brought in Hogan (the smallest) and blew the game apart. I'm in awe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Great win yesterday with serious room for improvement. It was great to see younger lads take leadership roles when some of the big guns had off days. Also the impact off the bench was excellent which doesn't always happen. The full back line was good and their worst moments came when Galway were well on top in the second half. I thought Connor Delaney did a good job on Whelan who is a tough mark. As with the Dublin game he had one or two strange decisions given against him. Buckley and Walsh were excellent in the half back line with Buckley looking like coming back to top form. Midfield more than held their own and the work rate was excellent. Hopefully Leahys injury is not too serious. In the forwards Mossy was the standout and showed some good distribution of the ball which is important for no. 11. Cody had a great first half but faded and their is big room for improvement with the other 4. Was TJ carrying a knock as apart from the goal he didn't seem to be moving freely. No need to say too much about Richie except for more of the same please!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement