Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Formosa

Here's the 3 minutes highlights video from gaa.ie

Good of them to show 4 Kilkenny scores and 11 from Galway....

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1327705887423729676

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

blackcard wrote: »
    Colin Fennelly scoreless and subbed. Ditto Wally. TJ 3 or 4 touches in the match. Galway 44 scoring chances to our 30. 2 good goal chances by KK missed. 5 points down in the last quarter. Not sure how we won that.

Galway hitting 16 wides to our 6 helped. TJ being immaculate on scorable frees too. Work rate. Doggedness. Thought ref decisions in the first half helped us but a few went against us in the second half. Galway missing their goal chances. Two moments of class by two hurlers of the year.

Still alive. Through to the last 4. Probably will be ranked fourth out of that 4. And rightly so. Wouldn't give us much of a chance against Limerick or Tipp in a semi final. Waterford or Clare might be 50/50 and you never know if you got to a final

We do not have the players we had previously. But the performances against Cork and Limerick last year and Galway today showed that we can win without having the best players

Hopefully Billy Ryan is back the next day. I would like to see Blanchfield in for Wally. Thanks for today lads
    sorry black but have to give you a red card fir that post.we dont have the players (are you having a laugh)no other team has 2 GOATS playing for them or has the spirit we have.we beat lunerick last year and were the better team v tipp up until the red card.I dont fear anyobe left in and we xan only improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭del_c

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    I thought that had been CB but whomever, yah! He was obviously dazed after & not quite the same.

Seemed incredible not to have taken him off at that stage with not long left. Best case scenario it takes you five mins or so to run that hit off, so why leave an impaired player on the park for the most critical part of the game....

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Formosa wrote: »
    Here's the 3 minutes highlights video from gaa.ie

Good of them to show 4 Kilkenny scores and 11 from Galway....

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1327705887423729676

Watching the game yesterday and up to the first water break RTE were waxing lyrical about all that Galway were doing well and all that Kilkenny were doing wrong and yet it was a 1 point game. They did the same in Wexford v Galway. They were blown away by Wexfords hurling after 15 minutes and yet that game was level at 7 pts apiece. Interesting at one stage yesterday (not long before throw in I think) that Joanne cut off Cusack just before he was going on one his this is the future of hurling rants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

Was TJ carrying an injury, looked a bit sluggish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I genuinely was baffled and worried for the last two weeks as was pretty much everyone. The shocking capitulation in the second half v Dublin compared to the composed evisceration of Wexford by Galway. In the last few days I began to really wonder what had Galway faced and had they been tested. We know they're big and strong, fast and skilful but what would happen if we put them under pressure. Then by about 3 o'clock yesterday I started to be a bit more confident as Clare were ripping Wexford to pieces. So if Clare could do that to Wexford too, then it meant the Galway had really been playing a bit of challenge match a fortnight ago. Now they were so good in that game they were always going to be serious operators with the amount of talent they have.

What became obvious as the game wore on last night was that when the likes of Concannon, Whelan Mannion and Cooney were put under pressure their shooting and interplay wasn't as accurate or as devastating. The pressure applied by Delaney and Tommy eventually led to them getting on top and powering out with ball in the last 10mins to set up the defining 5 points to 1 we scored to see the game out.

I had heard a few things before the game that indicated we were going to play differently and with a bit of a plan and when I saw the team it confirmed it for me. It was hard to know if it was going to be enough but I was encouraged we weren't likely to play 6 on 6 at either end and hopefully not lump high ball in. The inclusion of Leahy, Browne and Mossy were big calls before the game but once they settled they all made huge contributions. The fact we were going to play different was encouraging but was no guarantee it was going to be enough to take down such a good Galway team.

We started out rocky in lots of positions but we weren't getting over run and their danger men weren't getting the easy scores they were against Wexford. As Henry pointed out on the TV we went short time after time with the puckout and tried to work the ball forward through the lines but we did mix it up on occasion. I think Buckley at centre back/spare man was key to that as the Boro have been playing that way for years. We need a lot more practice at it to get good at it but we used our natural talent to work it out although it broke down at stages. A huge amount of encouraging things on display from us let's just hope we don't revert to the norm of the last few years. I haven't been this happy after a match in years, what we started to do was to allow our undoubtedly talented players have a chance in these games, the biggest disappointment for me recently was that I believed we had the players to win many of the games we lost but they weren't allowed or encouraged to play a style that could use our strengths and exploit opposition weaknesses.

Murphy- didn't have a huge amount to do other than puckouts, but did everything he could from goal -8

Delaney- was man marking Whelan one of the toughest customers in the game, he's so fast, strong and powerful. If you told us at the start of the day we would confine him to 2 points we would have been delighted. As the game wore on Delaney really got on top here and for me is our number 3 going forward, he has the bit of divelment needed and has a good grasp of the dark arts unlike Lawlor. -8
    Lawlor- had a decent day but was badly caught twice for what could have been goals, for me Lawlor is too nice and honest for full back. I think Huw could dominate at centre back and I'd prefer to see a switch there at some stage -6
    Tommy- he struggled a little at the start and especially with a few of the short puckouts early on but he found his feet well and kept Concannon quite until the 50 odd minute and limited him to a single point -8

Padraig- was brilliant after a very poor display the last day, he got a lovely point in the first half and if he hadn't been fouled I would have backed him to score a goal in that first half drive up the field. Very strong in the second half too. One thing really stood out to me, he saw Lawlor soloing out with the ball being chased and it was obvious the Galway man was going to disposses Lawlor but Padraig was already moving when Lawlor lost the ball and easily gathered it, in what could have been a dangerous situation.- 9
    Buckley- named at 5 but in effect played 6/spare man. Thought he read the game really well and provided a lot of cover to the other backs his distribution was good and sent in a perfect ball for TJ's goal. -8
    Browne- he nearly drove me crazy in first half, as someone else pointed out he followed up any good thing he did with something really stupid which gave up possession or lead to a score. He completely settled down in the second half and thundered into the game and flattened a few of the Galway lads that got in his way, he got a few points too, to top off the display -7 (only because of the first half, I'd give him 5 for the first half and 9 for the second half)

Fogarty- did a lot of dirty work and broke up plays but didn't really dominate as you'd hope, subbed -7
    Leahy- did well from the outset in breaking up play and defending. He provided a link between the lines and was doing really well before he had to go off with what look like it might have been his hammy. Hopefully he'll be ready for the next day although I doubt he'll train much so may have to be on the bench. -8

Donnelly- worked really hard tackling and hassling Galway men all over the field he set up plenty of other lads for scores. He'll hopefully get a few more himself the next day -7
    Mossy- I was always impressed with Mossy underage and believed he could be very good for us when he got the hang of senior, he's had some annoying injuries as well the last few years. He finally came of age last night and I really didn't expect it against McInerney but he took him out of the game to large extent while being hugely effective himself. He provided great supporting runs all evening and got a few points too. If he had got his goal chance he would have been MoM for me -9
    Wally- tackled hard but nothing really came off for him and his one shot was poor all he did was wear out his man -6
    TJ- it's been a longtime since TJ has been held for 50 odd minutes and we went on to win the game. He was double marked most of the night and the introduction of Richie opened things up for him. He kept us in with the frees in the first half, some from really hard positions in the conditions. His goal was class as always -8
    Cody- was great in the first half and while he only got a point, a lot of the frees we got in the first half were from him being fouled or he set up our scorers too, Harte kept him quiet in the second half but a great display for a lad so young. -7
    Fennelly- never got going and Burke had his number, got a fair slap on the head with the first ball in, plenty to work on for him although he did do a fair bit of tackling -6

Subs:
    Richie- was just fabulous when he came in, he set up Mossy for a goal chance, then took his own goal with some of the nicest touches to grace Croke Park in years. Missing an open goal is the only criticism I'd have of him but to get 1-02 in 25 minutes against some of those defenders was just class, rolled back the years -9 (10 if he had got that second goal)
    Joey- not on long enough to grade, blood sub for Buckley. He's unlucky not to be starting but a great option to have on the bench.
    Blanchfield- took his point well and caused trouble in the middle of the field and then his great hit on Mannion deminished his influence for the rest of the game and allowed us to push on. -7
    Richie Reid- did a few nice bits but didn't get on for long he hit in a few nice balls to the forwards -7
    Alan Murphy- did well when he came in and picked up ball in defence and drove forward -7
    Brassil- did very well when he came in and hit two lovely cross field balls one ended in a score and the other was just off -8

Overall a great game with some proper defending on both sides, looking forward to the semi now, we can sit back and watch what's coming through. The teams coming through the Semi's will have been playing for a third weekend in a row by the time the face us which should help us in the last quarter of a semi.

The one thing I noticed was the amount of head hits from both sides which went unpunished and then you see Buckley's injury from carelessness from Whelan (don't think it was in anyway deliberate). The Refs seem to have forgotten that you can't be slapping lads around the head with a hurl or any part of the body especially when you think of Richie's red in the final last year.

Looking at the options in defence we have Joey, Deegan, Darren Mullen, Richie Reid all able to come in and we have Blanchfield, Richie Hogan, Billy Ryan, Brassil and Alan Murphy all contributing now with Adrian Mullen hopefully ready soon. The future should be bright.

A great performance hoping for more and slicker version the next day from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I genuinely was baffled and worried for the last two weeks as was pretty much everyone. The shocking capitulation in the second half v Dublin compared to the composed evisceration of Wexford by Galway. In the last few days I began to really wonder what had Galway faced and had they been tested. We know they're big and strong, fast and skilful but what would happen if we put them under pressure. Then by about 3 o'clock yesterday I started to be a bit more confident as Clare were ripping Wexford to pieces. So if Clare could do that to Wexford too, then it meant the Galway had really been playing a bit of challenge match a fortnight ago. Now they were so good in that game they were always going to be serious operators with the amount of talent they have.

What became obvious as the game wore on last night was that when the likes of Concannon, Whelan Mannion and Cooney were put under pressure their shooting and interplay wasn't as accurate or as devastating. The pressure applied by Delaney and Tommy eventually led to them getting on top and powering out with ball in the last 10mins to set up the defining 5 points to 1 we scored to see the game out.

I had heard a few things before the game that indicated we were going to play differently and with a bit of a plan and when I saw the team it confirmed it for me. It was hard to know if it was going to be enough but I was encouraged we weren't likely to play 6 on 6 at either end and hopefully not lump high ball in. The inclusion of Leahy, Browne and Mossy were big calls before the game but once they settled they all made huge contributions. The fact we were going to play different was encouraging but was no guarantee it was going to be enough to take down such a good Galway team.

We started out rocky in lots of positions but we weren't getting over run and their danger men weren't getting the easy scores they were against Wexford. As Henry pointed out on the TV we went short time after time with the puckout and tried to work the ball forward through the lines but we did mix it up on occasion. I think Buckley at centre back/spare man was key to that as the Boro have been playing that way for years. We need a lot more practice at it to get good at it but we used our natural talent to work it out although it broke down at stages. A huge amount of encouraging things on display from us let's just hope we don't revert to the norm of the last few years. I haven't been this happy after a match in years, what we started to do was to allow our undoubtedly talented players have a chance in these games, the biggest disappointment for me recently was that I believed we had the players to win many of the games we lost but they weren't allowed or encouraged to play a style that could use our strengths and exploit opposition weaknesses.

Murphy- didn't have a huge amount to do other than puckouts, but did everything he could from goal -8

Delaney- was man marking Whelan one of the toughest customers in the game, he's so fast, strong and powerful. If you told us at the start of the day we would confine him to 2 points we would have been delighted. As the game wore on Delaney really got on top here and for me is our number 3 going forward, he has the bit of divelment needed and has a good grasp of the dark arts unlike Lawlor. -8
    Lawlor- had a decent day but was badly caught twice for what could have been goals, for me Lawlor is too nice and honest for full back. I think Huw could dominate at centre back and I'd prefer to see a switch there at some stage -6
    Tommy- he struggled a little at the start and especially with a few of the short puckouts early on but he found his feet well and kept Concannon quite until the 50 odd minute and limited him to a single point -8

Padraig- was brilliant after a very poor display the last day, he got a lovely point in the first half and if he hadn't been fouled I would have backed him to score a goal in that first half drive up the field. Very strong in the second half too. One thing really stood out to me, he saw Lawlor soloing out with the ball being chased and it was obvious the Galway man was going to disposses Lawlor but Padraig was already moving when Lawlor lost the ball and easily gathered it, in what could have been a dangerous situation.- 9
    Buckley- named at 5 but in effect played 6/spare man. Thought he read the game really well and provided a lot of cover to the other backs his distribution was good and sent in a perfect ball for TJ's goal. -8
    Browne- he nearly drove me crazy in first half, as someone else pointed out he followed up any good thing he did with something really stupid which gave up possession or lead to a score. He completely settled down in the second half and thundered into the game and flattened a few of the Galway lads that got in his way, he got a few points too, to top off the display -7 (only because of the first half, I'd give him 5 for the first half and 9 for the second half)

Fogarty- did a lot of dirty work and broke up plays but didn't really dominate as you'd hope, subbed -7
    Leahy- did well from the outset in breaking up play and defending. He provided a link between the lines and was doing really well before he had to go off with what look like it might have been his hammy. Hopefully he'll be ready for the next day although I doubt he'll train much so may have to be on the bench. -8

Donnelly- worked really hard tackling and hassling Galway men all over the field he set up plenty of other lads for scores. He'll hopefully get a few more himself the next day -7
    Mossy- I was always impressed with Mossy underage and believed he could be very good for us when he got the hang of senior, he's had some annoying injuries as well the last few years. He finally came of age last night and I really didn't expect it against McInerney but he took him out of the game to large extent while being hugely effective himself. He provided great supporting runs all evening and got a few points too. If he had got his goal chance he would have been MoM for me -9
    Wally- tackled hard but nothing really came off for him and his one shot was poor all he did was wear out his man -6
    TJ- it's been a longtime since TJ has been held for 50 odd minutes and we went on to win the game. He was double marked most of the night and the introduction of Richie opened things up for him. He kept us in with the frees in the first half, some from really hard positions in the conditions. His goal was class as always -8
    Cody- was great in the first half and while he only got a point, a lot of the frees we got in the first half were from him being fouled or he set up our scorers too, Harte kept him quiet in the second half but a great display for a lad so young. -7
    Fennelly- never got going and Burke had his number, got a fair slap on the head with the first ball in, plenty to work on for him although he did do a fair bit of tackling -6

Subs:
    Richie- was just fabulous when he came in, he set up Mossy for a goal chance, then took his own goal with some of the nicest touches to grace Croke Park in years. Missing an open goal is the only criticism I'd have of him but to get 1-02 in 25 minutes against some of those defenders was just class, rolled back the years -9 (10 if he had got that second goal)
    Joey- not on long enough to grade, blood sub for Buckley. He's unlucky not to be starting but a great option to have on the bench.
    Blanchfield- took his point well and caused trouble in the middle of the field and then his great hit on Mannion deminished his influence for the rest of the game and allowed us to push on. -7
    Richie Reid- did a few nice bits but didn't get on for long he hit in a few nice balls to the forwards -7
    Alan Murphy- did well when he came in and picked up ball in defence and drove forward -7
    Brassil- did very well when he came in and hit two lovely cross field balls one ended in a score and the other was just off -8

Overall a great game with some proper defending on both sides, looking forward to the semi now, we can sit back and watch what's coming through. The teams coming through the Semi's will have been playing for a third weekend in a row by the time the face us which should help us in the last quarter of a semi.

The one thing I noticed was the amount of head hits from both sides which went unpunished and then you see Buckley's injury from carelessness from Whelan (don't think it was in anyway deliberate). The Refs seem to have forgotten that you can't be slapping lads around the head with a hurl or any part of the body especially when you think of Richie's red in the final last year.

Looking at the options in defence we have Joey, Deegan, Darren Mullen, Richie Reid all able to come in and we have Blanchfield, Richie Hogan, Billy Ryan, Brassil and Alan Murphy all contributing now with Adrian Mullen hopefully ready soon. The future should be bright.

A great performance hoping for more and slicker version the next day from us.

Great Post tbiggertycome... agree with all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kilkenny34

Would be worried about Leahy. Looked like the hamstring ,he injured that in the first league game for Inistioge and missed most of the club game.Hopefully not serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Great win, hopefully the likes of Wally and Colin Fennelly will be better the next day.
    They've beaten Limerick last year and Galway this year, they won't fear anybody.

One thing I can't figure out. I saw Huw Lawlor getting a yellow card near the end of the match. Did he not already have one for the hurl tug in the first half?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Heard during the week Waterford have dissected the kilkenny v limerick simi from last year.And are going with the similar plan.cahill and bevans watch alot of kilkenny hurling and base their high workrate game of that having been involved with carrickshock in 13/14.could be a shock on the cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭conor05

kilkenny34 wrote: »
    Would be worried about Leahy. Looked like the hamstring ,he injured that in the first league game for Inistioge and missed most of the club game.Hopefully not serious.

He won a lot of dirty ball in the ruck and was well up for the fight up to the injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Heard during the week Waterford have dissected the kilkenny v limerick simi from last year.And are going with the similar plan.cahill and bevans watch alot of kilkenny hurling and base their high workrate game of that having been involved with carrickshock in 13/14.could be a shock on the cards.

Waterford lads do not have anywhere near the desire or the discipline that Kilkenny have... Just cant see it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

earlytobed wrote: »
    Great win, hopefully the likes of Wally and Colin Fennelly will be better the next day.
    They've beaten Limerick last year and Galway this year, they won't fear anybody.

One thing I can't figure out. I saw Huw Lawlor getting a yellow card near the end of the match. Did he not already have one for the hurl tug in the first half?

Unbelievably, he didn't get a yellow card for that. Great foul, stopped a definite goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭brookville

Unbelievably, he didn't get a yellow card for that. Great foul, stopped a definite goal.

I was sure he got a yellow in the first half aswell.Its not pretty what he done but most defenders would of done the same.
    I agree that delaney should be our long term number 3.Lawlor is very comfortable on the ball coming foward.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Butterbeans

earlytobed wrote: »

He wasn't carded in the 1st half. My reading of it was the ref had blown for the free before the hurl tug so no yellow

Waterford lads do not have anywhere near the desire or the discipline that Kilkenny have... Just cant see it happening

Bit of a war in the middle 3rd and try and expose limerick fullback line
    2 of whom dont normally play their. We will know in a few hours. But not
    Sure about limerick yet.need a big test

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

castlecat wrote: »
    Mine is starting to go down now, thank god,

Get a grip lads 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭sportsmaddad

Bit of a war in the middle 3rd and try and expose limerick fullback line
    2 of whom dont normally play their. We will know in a few hours. But not
    Sure about limerick yet.need a big test

In fairness Waterford gave them some test today. And you have to hand it to Limerick, they certainly responded when the chips were down. But hats off to Waterford and Liam Cahill, they'd really done their homework. Things hotting up nicely, nothing will be easy from here on....

In fairness Waterford gave them some test today. And you have to hand it to Limerick, they certainly responded when the chips were down. But hats off to Waterford and Liam Cahill, they'd really done their homework. Things hotting up nicely, nothing will be easy from here on....

Waterford just lacking that real marquee forward that all the top teams have.am i right in saying they have to play us in a simi if they advance

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Waterford just lacking that real marquee forward that all the top teams have.am i right in saying they have to play us in a simi if they advance

Re. Marquee forwards, Aussie would remind you of his clubmate Róin Kelly( A talented tit) Their only truly talented man upfront with no workrate and sure to cough up a stupid éide or free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

You would think that Leahy will be missing the next day. If Deegan is fit, you would think that it would be Browne with Fogarty or Buckley in midfield. If Billy Ryan is fit, Wally may lose out. Even if Billy is not fit, Wally may still not start, possibly Blanchfield instead. I think Richie may be used as a sub as space opens up in the second half

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭kksaints

blackcard wrote: »
    You would think that Leahy will be missing the next day. If Deegan is fit, you would think that it would be Browne with Fogarty or Buckley in midfield. If Billy Ryan is fit, Wally may lose out. Even if Billy is not fit, Wally may still not start, possibly Blanchfield instead. I think Richie may be used as a sub as space opens up in the second half

Tbh why would Wally start next time? He's been very poor both matches this year. Billy Ryan if fit should replace him otherwise Blanchfield should slot in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Can people please please stop suggesting Buckley at midfield. Its never worked. Ever. He's a half back, leave him there

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭conor05

Can people please please stop suggesting Buckley at midfield. Its never worked. Ever. He's a half back, leave him there

And a very good half back at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Yes, spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Totally agree

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Quarter-Finals:
    Waterford v Clare
    Galway v Tipperary

If Waterford win, we play them.

If Galway win, we play the winners of Waterford/Clare.

If Tipperary & Clare both win, then it's an open draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 catseye2

He wasn't carded in the 1st half. My reading of it was the ref had blown for the free before the hurl tug so no yellow

I heard that holding the hurl is not a yellow card offence hence he wasnt booked and ref as waiting to get him for the next offence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Quarter-Finals:
    Waterford v Clare
    Galway v Tipperary

If Waterford win, we play them.

If Galway win, we play the winners of Waterford/Clare.

If Tipperary & Clare both win, then it's an open draw.

If Tipp and Waterford win?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Charlie69 wrote: »
    If Tipp and Waterford win?...

If Waterford win we play them and what happens the other game is irrelevant.

Same applies for Galway/Limerick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement